TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Effing Kidding Me?

ZylonBane
    "Ground Wars"

Looks like someone upgraded the Falcon's old radar dish after the battle of Endor.

Trailer: for 45 seconds of content - it looks quite promising.

Oddly enough, the bot was the thing that convinced me in the most - strong SW (the non-shit ones of course) vibes for me there.

I like that the desert isn't covered with 80 cgi animals humping each other and destroying the framing of the shots.

Moderator and Priest
    One of the things people most complain about when it comes to Abram's Star Trek is that it's too much Star Wars, not enough Star Trek. Hell, Abram's even admits to being a bigger Star Wars fan, so that's not much of a surprise.

So hey, it's not a huge stretch to think that Abram's Star Wars might actually turn out pretty decent. The trailer had the right pitch, tone, and style, and we already know he's better at directing people than George Lucas was There's a good chance it could turn out far better than we're expecting.

Consider me cautiously stoked.

I'm not sure you can say much about tone, pitch, and style yet - it's tough to make any kind of conclusion with a 90 second teaser, showing 6-7 scenes total. Even the Phantom Menace's trailers made it look good before we found out otherwise.

I think one thing favoring Abrams though is that he pretty much has an empty canvas. The prequels had extremely high expectations and essentially a pre-defined story. With episodes 7-9, he can pretty much do whatever he wants without much in the way of restrictions.

I dunno, there wasn't really *that* much pre-defined about the prequels. Anakin was Luke's dad prior to becoming Darth Vader, Obi Wan fought with him in something called the clone wars, and that's it. I don't think anything else is mentioned in the original films about what happened prior to Star Wars: The Star Wars.

What's really weird is there are thousands of ways those things could have been tied into a great action-adventure film or films, and it didn't happen. If I were writing a prequel to Star Wars, it would probably feature Obi Wan and Anakin as dual protaganists building their relationship through exciting space fantasy adventures while fighting an army of Sith clones created/led by the fascist Emperor-in-waiting Palpatine as members of the Jedi military nobility in a feudal pre-Empire universe. I probably would have loosely based the setting on feudal Japan/Germany in the way that the original films were based on the Japenese/German empires of WWII (and Anakin's fall could essentially be a change of allegiances based on the end of the Tokugawa shogunate, with the Sith army defeated and the feudal system dismantled through diplomacy). I should stop there, as I'm pretty sure that's already more effort/thought than Lucas put into his work.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 29th Nov 2014 at 02:17.

Plus, the Republic Senate was getting edged out by the rising Empire, Leia was Luke's twin sister, Anakin didn't know he was having/had twins, their mom died when they were barely old enough to form memories (heh), Anakin turned to the dark side and became the Emperor's apprentice. They had a lot of leeway... But they had a lot of expectations, too.

Where is the Senate referenced in the original films? I honestly can't remember that. Also Leia and Luke are siblings, but did it specifically say they were twins? (Edit: Ok, found the "twins" reference)

verbose douchebag
    I'm really hoping we get some Gungans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Where is the Senate referenced in the original films? I honestly can't remember that. Also Leia and Luke are siblings, but did it specifically say they were twins? (Edit: Ok, found the "twins" reference)
    It's at the start of a New Hope - in the Empire boardroom, they talk about how the "Imperial Senate" has just been dissolved and fear will keep the local systems in line, yada yada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyK_TaUuLng -> Star Wars: The Force Phantom Awakens Trailer

x_x

The final shot with a million tie fighters is pretty spot on.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hah. Both of those are beyond brilliant.

verbose douchebag
    Needs more Miley Cyrus.

the only person whose opinion matters

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Force Awakens trailer, Wes Anderson-ified:

<3

Massive bonus points for using that song.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that's a great tune. I've had it on one of my playlists since I saw Moonrise Kingdom.

Oh, I guess that would explain why it randomly has over a million views. I didn't realize he used it in a film.

ZylonBane
    I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn.

Song 2 is not the most original choice, but that's silly better than the original trailer. And so is everything by Francoise Hardy, bless her pouty lips and dovetail eye liner.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530 ... LastLast