TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (Elite is back)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    If you decide you like it enough, I can happily recommend the Thrustmaster T-FLight HOTAS X, which doesn't cost much but immediately makes the game a zillion times more fun and easy to play. I use this setup, which uses 2 shift buttons to give you all kinds of controls without having to let go of the stick.
    Ah, so can you use that to switch between analog control of roll or lateral thrust? I've got as far as figuring out the landing overrides, but even with an XBOX controller I've been wishing for a spare control stick...

Also the price looks ok, I'd feel silly spending over 100 on a controller. I guess that's for serious flight gamers. Also just remembered you can twist the joystick on these.

Can you get away with using it on your lap?

verbose douchebag
    I wouldn't have thought so, but a tray or piece of shelving across the lap could work.
    I started with the XBOX controller too - wasn't terrible and was enough to get me hooked on the game, but having to reach over to the keyboard for some controls made the play feel too disjointed. With a good flight stick (and the HOTAS-X is fantastic for the price), you can really get immersed once your muscle memory is au fait with the controls.

I recently bought a Saitek X-52 pro which I got for 80 on eBay as it had a problem with the trigger (which was easily fixed), so that's a 200 system for a very reasonable price and the fixing took less than an hour. I'd call 120 for an hour's work pretty good. There's a chance I may not even like it as much as the HOTAS-X, in which case, I can probably get back what I paid for it on eBay (could probably make a nice profit if I didn't have scruples, but I won't sell an item I've fixed as being anything but).

I started to play it with a Saitek X-52 pro as well, then I switched to keyboard and mouse... :P I was to lazy to setup the hotas just for one game.

verbose douchebag
    This is why I used someone else's setup - after maybe 4-5 hours with the control shema on my second screen as reference, I was totally comfortable.
    The X-52 pro has some cool macro functions too. The setup I'm going to try this weekend uses the 2-stage trigger so that at first stage, it fires primary weapons and when you click it all the way, it shoves all power into weapons, then equalises power when you return to the first stage. I need to get round to setting up voice attack too.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I wouldn't have thought so, but a tray or piece of shelving across the lap could work.
    I ordered the one you recommended - the T-Flight HOTAS X. Some of the more expensive controllers look cool, but one would have to be quite an enthusiast to spend hundreds on one. I suppose the advanced functions might have appeal later on, but I was happy with a basic flight stick with a small throttle slider on the side before.

So we can try with a lap tray - my son thinks he'll turn the couch into a cockpit with the throttle and stick on each side. Might be fun but that would require more faffing with trays and shelves...

verbose douchebag
    The stick is great - I'd have been totally happy to stay with it except that I saw the X-52 pro for such a good price on eBay.

Administrator
    I've been trying to get back to Sol for no particular reason. I can't see evidence of it being possible to refuel from Hydrogen Fuel cargo - I seem to remember this was possible in Frontier, but your fuel cargo was just used up...

Administrator
    I was just asked to source non-lethal weapons at a station that sold them. Bug or silly federal naval officers?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Elite is -33% on Steam this weekend and I just bought it. See you guys in SPAAAAAAACE!

Thing What Kicks
    Post your commander name when you've set it up henke!
    Mine's Mike Vanaheim.

I'm currently doing the mercenary thing, taking high-paying jobs for any target my home system allies want sorted out. Sure, it means I have to take out the occasional security vessel or trader in neighbouring systems, but CHA-CHING.

Administrator
    Finally bought it myself. It's just been a little too expensive up to now for the amount of time I'm likely to be able to play it. Plus, I suspect I'll need a new joystick - it's been a little while since PCs supported the old style game port .

Level 10,000 achieved
    Bah, I suck at dogfighting. That tutorial mission where you need to destroy 2 enemy ships took me 20 minutes of spinning around firing wildly all over the place and depleting all my missiles. Eventually I figured out that the key to success is putting the ship in reverse and shooting at the enemies while they chase you. I don't have much confidence that these tactics will cut the mustard if I end up facing human opponents tho.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, so, dogfighting tips:

1. Keep the throttle in the blue. When it's there, your ship's at its most manoeuvrable.
    2. Make judicious use of lateral thrusters and yaw controls. They help greatly when trying to keep a bead on the enemy.
    3. When you've gotten the hang of those, play around with turning off Flight Assist while bringing your ship to bear on the enemy. FA Off allows for the fastest turn rates in the game, but can be tricky to control. I suggest turning FA off purely for fast turns, and once the target's in your sights, turn it back on again. To that end, make sure the toggle's bound to an easily accessible key / button.
    4. Make sure to balance your power depending on the situation. More pips to engines allows for greater speeds and a wider window of manoeuvrability, while pips to weapons allows you to continue firing longer. Power to weapons does not affect weapon strength.
    5. If you've got any form of head tracking device, USE IT! My TrackIR assists massively in keeping track of where the enemy is.
    6. If you're using a HOTAS joystick, make sure the throttle is set to Full Range. This means 0 thrust will be halfway, while reverse thrust is activated when pulling back from centre and forward thrust when pushing forward from centre. And as reverse thrust also has an optimal manoeuvrability blue zone, this makes for increased nimbleness.

Basically, try to avoid situations where you and your target end up circling each other or jousting. As well as being incredibly time consuming, those tactics are also incredibly dull.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No TrackIR or HOTAS. Just a 360 pad. The other hints helped a bit tho, redid that combat tutorial and it probably only took me 10 minutes this time. Using the Engine Boost more helped too, but I still seem to end up with a lot of circling and jousting, but when fighting one enemy I guess that's unavoidable? Also turning flight assist off doesn't seem to do much to increase the turning speed.

If you have some spare change, do consider getting a Thrustmaster HOTAS.X. It's very reasonably priced and makes Elite a lot more fun. I didn't think it'd make that big a difference, but it did.

verbose douchebag
    Seconded - it's a great HOTAS for the price.

Thing What Kicks

WARNING! Capital Class Signature Detected!

Eep, I'd never seen a capital ship in combat before tonight, and it looks like all my shady shenanigans have set off a war in my home system.
    I got the warning as I jumped into a conflict zone and got front row seats when FNS Thanatos jumped in. I was gawping like some kinda space guppy, so didn't get any screenies of it jumping in, but it looked a li'l somethin' like this:

Once I got a hold of myself, I went about the important task of grabbing a few shots:

Who's a pretty boy then?

Gratuitous TrackIR promo shot

Awww, does FNS Thanatos want his belly scratched?

I even parked inside the launch tube at the back!

Jolly good fun

Level 10,000 achieved
    At this point I think I might have to get a HOTAS just so everyone stops telling me to get a HOTAS.

Doooo itttt!!!!

... and I promise not to pester you afterwards about getting a TrackIR. Much.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished all the tutorials and did my first illegal cargo shipment today. Made a bunch of money but I don't seem to have anywhere to spend it on the station I arrived to. Do all the stations not have garage bays where you can upgrade your ship? Also what's the protocol when requesting docking at a new station? I got the denied the first few times, but then let in eventually, not sure why.

I'm CMDR Nicola ap Io, btw. If anyone wants to add me to their friend list or whatever.

Thing What Kicks
    If you landed on a platform station (one of those where the bays are exposed), then yeah, those often have limited services. You can check what services are available at a station in the system part of the galaxy map.

In general, the best stations for kitting out and buying ships are those that have a High Tech economy. These can be found using filters in the galaxy map.

As for docking, you have to be within 7.5km to request permission.

I know a couple of good High Tech stations that are off the beaten path; one is Janes Horizons in the Arexe system. The other is my home station, Artyukhin Terminal in LP 861-12.
    Arexe's an independent system, where LP 861-12 is a Federation one.

Arexe may get a little hairy in open play, as it's not far from Lave & Leesti, two hotspots for PvP.

I chose my current system as I wanted to advance my Federation rank, and it's got everything a bounty hunter wants: high and low intensity conflict zones, high and low intensity resource extraction sites (ring systems around gas giants) and a High Tech Economy.

Arexe's probably better overall, as it's a couple of jumps from any faction you want to visit, and its choice of equipment is better. But being independent, it's hard to advance with your chosen faction if you base yourself there.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm CMDR Nicola ap Io, btw. If anyone wants to add me to their friend list or whatever.
    What's the "ap" from? It rings a bell. Iain M. Banks?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nicola ap Io is the player character in Terra Nova.

Thirith, we're gonna need you to hand in your TTLG membership badge right now. _

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    CMDR Nicola ap Io
    Awesome :) But... is that the spelling you used?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeeeeesss?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast