TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (Elite is back)

Thing What Kicks
    Ace, well I'm playing at the moment, so if you're up for it, I'll gladly jump to your location.

Level 10,000 achieved
    So, how is the planetary exploration in this? Any cool stuff to see or do out there? Is the buggy fun to drive? Also can you get out of it?

All this NMS stuff I'm seeing has me hankerin for some exploration, but I'm wondering if I might be better off picking up Horizons instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Ace, well I'm playing at the moment, so if you're up for it, I'll gladly jump to your location.
    I mainly play in VR over the weekend, primarily Fridays and Sundays; I think I'll stick to solo mode until I've upgraded to a Cobra Mk III, which shouldn't take all that much longer, and then I'll check if you're online when I'm about to play Elite and drop you a message.

Thing What Kicks
    Thing is, if you wing up with me and we go RES hunting, if you even get a single hit on one of the targets we'll be taking out, you'll be entitled to an equal split of the bounty. Some of the bounties I was comfortably taking down last night were 300,000+ credits.
    Just one of those would almost be enough to buy you a Cobra outright
    We don't have to do Open either; we can group up, which is like Solo, but with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    So, how is the planetary exploration in this? Any cool stuff to see or do out there? Is the buggy fun to drive? Also can you get out of it?

All this NMS stuff I'm seeing has me hankerin for some exploration, but I'm wondering if I might be better off picking up Horizons instead.
    The buggy driving is very cool, although working out the binds takes some time. There's not actually that much on the planets that I've visited so far, but the act of driving alone has been enough to keep me entertained, but again, would be more fun with buddies.
    No EVA yet mind you.

Are you in any of the groups, Malf? I'm intrigued by the possibilities of group play, and there seem to be some PvE-only groups like Mobius that are pretty cool.

As far as grouping up to make the big money is concerned, that's something I want to avoid, at least at this stage: I like coop play, but I wouldn't want to make easy money by having someone else, someone with more experience and better equipment, do most of the work. I'd too easily get Elite fatigue if I did that. Once I know I can hold my own sufficiently, I'd enjoy coop more.

By the way, how do you personally steer the buggy? I've heard some horror stories about driving using a HOTAS...

Thing What Kicks
    You can start your own group whenever you like. Most of the time, I'm playing in Open, as there's not many folk frequenting my corner of the galaxy, so whenever someone does come around, they're not usually a massive tool looking to fight.
    I personally have no problem steering with my X52 Pro, although because of the low gravity on most planetoids, I quite often over-steer.

And I can respect you making your own way. Mind you, because of my backer level, I started out in a Cobra. I played around in the Sidey a bit during Beta, but couldn't see myself ever going back (except maybe to run a gimmicky railboat build maybe).

What I would advise though is maybe taking a two-step upgrade to the Cobra and trying out the Eagle in-between. You don't lose money really when trading up, which encourages you to experiment with multiple ships.
    The Eagle, while made of paper tissue, is the most manoeuvrable ship in the game and a hoot to fly. It's also a dedicated combat platform and can teach you a lot about balancing load-outs and managing power.
    The Cobra's iconic, and probably the best multi-role ship in the game given its price, but hardpoint placement is pants, the canopy's an annoying dual-seater with you driving on the left, and while it's pretty good at everything, it doesn't excel at anything.

... the canopy's an annoying dual-seater with you driving on the left...
    Every now and then it becomes blatantly clear that the Elite developers are Brits.

Thing What Kicks
    Eh?
    If that were the case, the driver's seat would be on the right, not the left!

... you're of course absolutely right. D'oh. I blame having got up at 4am this morning.

*hangs head in tired shame*

...Wait... What side of the road do they drive on in the Chunnel?

verbose douchebag
    What I would advise though is maybe taking a two-step upgrade to the Cobra and trying out the Eagle in-between. You don't lose money really when trading up, which encourages you to experiment with multiple ships.
    The Eagle, while made of paper tissue, is the most manoeuvrable ship in the game and a hoot to fly. It's also a dedicated combat platform and can teach you a lot about balancing load-outs and managing power.
    The Cobra's iconic, and probably the best multi-role ship in the game given its price, but hardpoint placement is pants, the canopy's an annoying dual-seater with you driving on the left, and while it's pretty good at everything, it doesn't excel at anything.
    Can second this. I'd also recommend the Viper too - I had the best fun collecting bounties in that ship and the sound design for it is fantastic. My progression went: Sidey > Eagle > Hauler > Viper > Cobra and then I stopped playing while my computer build happened (which took forever) and haven't got back to it yet, because I haven't had the mood to configure the x52 pro. Incidentally Malf - can you recommend a control setup for that? I was trying to set up a cool one which used cool macro stuff for eg firing primary weapon with balanced power pips for the first trigger stage and then shifting all power to weapons and firing primary and secondary for the full trigger pull, but I lost patience with it.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I don't have a cool multi-mode super-macro set-up on mine.
    Just enough binds for the functions the game demands. Of course, while it's slightly inconvenient for those who want all weapons to have their own triggers, the game makes binds somewhat easier thanks to allowing only two weapon triggers (chaff and heatsinks get their own triggers mind you; go figure).

Most important thing I can recommend?
    Set your throttle to full range, so that halfway is zero, back is reverse, and front is forward. Allows you to be a LOT more nimble in combat.
    Then I have boost on the throttle Clutch button (i), with Flight Assist toggle on D. To be honest, rather than drily listing them from memory, I'll try to find a picture and label my binds on it. I can also upload a saved config if you want. I don't do any flash pip binding myself, rather adjusting them on the fly. That's even more necessary since the AI update, as NPCs are complete arseholes now.

Thirith's got the right idea for that mind; he's using Voice Attack. I hear that really helps with automation.

I haven't done much fiddling with Voice Attack myself; I'm using it with one of the HCS voice packs, namely Verity (it's the same voice actor as the regular ship computer). I'm enjoying it a lot, in particular in combination with VR (--> I prefer not to use the keyboard except for typing) and a HOTAS X. Some of the commands correspond to simple button presses, but there's also more complex stuff, e.g. "Request landing permission", which is pretty cool.

Anway, right now I'm torn between going for an Adder (though there aren't any available at Beagle 2 Station), an Eagle (though I hear it's more of a straight fighter than an allrounder, which is what I'm looking for) or a Cobra (bad hardpoint placements, odd canopy). Hmm...

Thing What Kicks
    If you have the money for the Cobra, you can try them all. Like I said earlier, experimenting doesn't really cost anything.

I'm CMDR DKesserich, just sent friend requests to Malf and Thirith.

Bought myself a Vive today so I'll probably be on for a bit tomorrow noonish, my time (PST).

Thanks, I've accepted your friend request, Fafhrd.

I've also upgraded to an Adder, and while that Space Winnebago has about 15% visibility out the cockpit compared to the Sidewinder, it's still kinda cool, in a daddish way. All I want now is a pair of fuzzy dice.

Thing What Kicks
    I seem to remember the engine sound being quite cool in the Adder too. I always thought it was one of the better looking ships in the game.
    Fafhrd, I'll add you as soon as I've finished moving data around. Finally got a new 1TB SSD! Moving my OS to my old 256GB one, and all documents to my two old spinning 1TB disks.

Alas it seems that my R9 380 is unable to cope with Elite in VR. Weirdly it doesn't seem to be able to handle much at all in VR, which seems wrong as I've tested some stuff with a 290 at work and it's handled it fine.

Not sure I'm ready to drop another $200+ this weekend to get my PC more up to snuff.

is Best Pony
    I have a question regarding the X52 Pro, to its users: did anyone upgrade to it from the 'classic' X52, and if so do you find a lot of difference when playing something like Elite?

Thing What Kicks
    Nah, I went straight for the Pro, and this is my first HOTAS so I don't know any better.
    Wouldn't play the game without a HOTAS now mind you. I briefly tried a 360 pad back in beta, but found it too constraining.

I look at the Warthog and think that would be nice, but I'm too used to twist-stick rudder controls now (my old MS Sidewider had twist-stick too, and I played Freespace 2 on that), and can't really justify the cost of pedals.

Of course, rebuilding my PC this weekend means I inevitably lost some game configs in the process, one of which was my control config for Elite. I've re-mapped flight controls, but have yet to land and re-map SRV driving controls.

I bought a HOTAS X (pretty much a "My First HOTAS") for Elite Dangerous, more or less, and I haven't regretted it for one second. Some of this is because of playing in VR, so I need a controller that can cover most if not all of what I need to do in the game, but more than that, there's something so tangible about a HOTAS that is simply missing with other controls. Just pushing forward the throttle feels surprisingly different to pressing a key, button or trigger. The term "immersion" is a tricky, woolly one, but I would absolutely say that playing with a HOTAS adds to the immersion.

Malf, since you seem to be the local Elite expert: currently I'm mainly bounty hunting to make money for my first Cobra. Are there other activities you'd suggest I add to make more money? I'm not looking for something to replace the bounty hunting, more for something that could complement it, stuff I can do more or less at the same time. Also, I'm slowly feeling like less of a beginner, so I should be ready for coop before long.

Thing What Kicks
    Well, unfortunately, this is where you run in to one of Elite's main problems.

Since the AI update, bounty hunting is nowhere near as profitable as it used to be.
    It's one of the most fun things to do in the game, but you really have to be good to make sure you're making more money than you're spending on re-buying your ship when it's destroyed for the unpteenth time.
    Less of a problem at lower combat ranks, but enemy spawns are now governed by your rank, so every encounter is hard when you're at Dangerous or above.

Don't get me wrong, the increased challenge is nice, and it makes combat interesting and load-out fiddling a lot more fun now, but you simply don't make much money claiming bounties any more.

Nope, if you want to make money, you HAVE to trade over long distances, and this is one of the most boring activities in the game. In fact, I don't think it can even be considered game-play. You're basically staring at the jump screen for hours at a time between source and destination systems.

Before the AI update, while combat was decidedly less interesting, it was far more rewarding. To give you some idea, when I started playing again recently, I had my fully upgraded Federal Assault Ship with a re-buy cost of around 2.5M credits, but close to 80M in the bank thanks to bounties and combat zone rewards.

But now that enemies are significantly harder to kill for me (I'm ranked Deadly), I can't make as much money as I used to, so actually now have less credits than when I came back thanks to losing ships while adjusting to the new difficulty. I'm sitting at around 55M at the moment (although part of that was thanks to the game bugging out and mysteriously not replacing my Military grade plating during one of my rebuys).

So yeah, if you want to make money, prepare for a whole lot of tedium.

Apparently this is currently the favoured way to make money in the game. I've been considering it, but then think of how boring it would be just for credits when I don't actually need those credits for much at the moment.

Of course, one way to make sure you survive in combat and therefore make money quicker is to wing up with people

Ah, the Braben giveth (more challenging AI, more interesting combat) and the Braben taketh away (less of a monetary reward). Yeah, trading doesn't particularly appeal; I'm okay with taking on trading missions and doing some bounty hunting on the way there, but the spreadsheetery of making trading pay off isn't something I'm interested in.

Just imagine if they had people working on this that are great at providing a frame and context for the game mechanics there are - you don't need a fully-fledged campaign to give more shape to what the players are doing than what they've done so far. There's a great skeleton of a game there, but it could be so brilliant if they fleshed it out better. If they could add more of the personality that Privateer had, I'd never leave the game.

Anyway, let's definitely wing up before long. At the very least it'll be fun to take on bigger, badder enemies without having no chance to survive whatsoever, let alone win.

verbose douchebag
    Trading can be quite relaxing once you get into the rhythm of it. If you have a second screen or a tablet, you can watch YouTube videos or just out some tunes on.
    Also, if you have a multi-role ship, there are piracy encounters to be had on the way to keep things spicy. That said, I've yet to encounter the upgraded AI.

Thing What Kicks
    Yay
    Of course, Wings support up to four people so others are welcome to join for some hi-jinx.
    Hmmm, I may look at how persistent groups are tonight and look at setting up a TTLG one.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast