TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (Elite is back)

Elite: Dangerous (Elite is back)

I am shocked and excited about the last news from Frontier Developments.

Elite - the most awesome game of all the time - will be back in 2014.

Elite: Dangerous is the new fascinating project of the acclaimed game maker David Braben.

For who is young and doesn't know what is Elite i can only say that in the 80' it deeply
    signed my life and the sequel 'Frontier' (1992) truly sadisfied at 200% any of my expectations once released (such a rare thing in the game industry).

Now we have the possibility to see something that could blow our mind forever.

They decided to do a Kickstarter to test the market and prepare the job, i really hope they will success with that and i really hope that many people will contribute to the dream.
    Because is that ... 'is a dream' for me and for anyone who remembers the amazing feeling and
    the wonderful game that the original Elite it was.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

I posted originally on RPS these few reasons not to back Elite: Dangerous before we have concrete elements (technical details, videos or screenshots):

1. Quote Originally Posted by David Braben
      We will rely heavily on artist-directed procedural generation, using techniques that are a logical expansion of what was done in the previous “Elite” and “Frontier” games. This will greatly reduce the required budget
      is somewhat of a naive, and worrying, claim. Generating tiling polygons in 3D space is not quite the same thing as generating believable, procedural 3D worlds with modern graphics. See how much time the guys from infinity have spent working on similar technology with believable results, and try to imagine the difference in algorithms from Elite and Frontier games.
    2. No video, not even a screenshot although Elite 4 was in development for years and they’re using it as a base, as demonstrated by the fact their multiplayer architecture is already functional.
    3. Not a single mention of special scripted missions. The open-ended, infinitely available trade and transport missions made the bulk of the games but what kept us running were the high-risk, high-reward unique missions, creating at least some kind of accountable end-game state. An Elite game absolutely needs those, even if it means they have to be instanced for each player, which looks like what they’re doing anyway.
    4. The whole studio makes easy, almost money-grabbing games. Not garbage, just meh. And he admits there hasn’t been a lot of time alotted to Elite 4. So, is really the network code already there? How many programmers have experience in procedural generation?
    5. No Ian Bell.

I was willing to give him the benefice of the doubt after a rushed FFE, but any positive feeling I had about Braben got eroded as Elite 4 went deeper and deeper into development hell.

Here are the games that have a greater potential to fill the Elite-craving in me when they're released:

Last edited by Briareos H; 11th Nov 2012 at 07:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    are you serious ? O_o

infinity is amazing.. but ...honestly seems to be a chimera now... updated every 6 months or so and YEARS of development... i don't think we will see something coming out in 2014.
    In fact, I don't think we'll ever see anything about it at all.. !

star citizen is not an open space simulator but a local multiplayer space game with (probably) wonderful graphics details - i love it me too
    but ELITE is totally another thing.

Right on, Commander!

I'm with Sterlino on this. Thankfully, the austere kickstarter page has had a few more updates since the last post here and things are explained in a slightly better way.

Having waited patiently for ~12 years for this to come about I have no problem backing this whatsoever. What pleases me is that David - judging from the enthusiastic videos - is obviously up for this and wants to get it done. He also acknowledges they've had a few 'false starts' over the years and explains why. It's a shame that Ian Bell isn't on board but then again I don't believe he was involved with Frontiers (I might be wrong though).

FFE was rushed but only because the publisher Gametek wanted it out of the door and they 'cleverly' got round all the bugs by patching out most of the gameplay functionality that caused them.

Elite and Frontiers are right up there, for me, in terms of addictive gameplay and I would hope for more (far more) of the same thing. Trading, being all piratical and everything, evading the police, running courier missions, actually getting to fly the ship etc. All of this in varied star systems (not isolated 'fishtank' with loading zones) where I can scoop fuel from a local gas giant, land on a rockier inner planet to mine it or just cruise through the upper atmosphere of the local sun as I see fit.

Oh, and multiplayer is just the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by casalor View Post
    It's a shame that Ian Bell isn't on board but then again I don't believe he was involved with Frontiers (I might be wrong though).
    Bell and Braben had a bit of a falling out.

13. Why don't you and David Braben settle your differences and write a proper sequel?

David Braben developed (with some assistance from me) "Frontier: Elite 2", and then (with no assistance from me) the notorious "Frontier: First Encounters". I stated my opinions on his conduct regarding these titles in an interview for gamesdomain [Aug 1995].

I subsequently received a letter from Braben's solicitors objecting to three points in the interview including a statement the intended meaning of which was that I understood Chris Sawyer receieved no royalties on "Frontier:First Encounters" but which could be potentially misconstrued to imply that Braben had ceased paying Sawyer his royalties on sales of the PC version of "Frontier:Elite 2".

The letter demanded a "full apology" and "your proposal for compensation and/or exemplary damages".

I immediately requested Games Domain to add a clarification of the intended meaning of the Chris Sawyer remark to the interview. They promptly did so and it remained online till 2002.

Despite the clarification, Braben still attempted to sue me for libel (High Court of Justice Queens Bench, Writ 1995 -B No 2536, 24 Nov 1995). This is indicative of his post-Elite attitude.
    http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/faq.htm#A13

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Elite IV: Vapourware. This game has been in development since at least 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Bell and Braben had a bit of a falling out.
    Ok. Doesn't sound bitter does he? I don't remember it being that acrimonious. However, it's interesting what he said about their difference of opinion where David wanted more astronomical realism over Ian's flagwaving over gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Elite IV: Vapourware. This game has been in development since at least 1998.
    You old cynic

Taking the Death Toll
    He's not so much a cynic as he's a killjoy because he can't stand anything beautiful.

Chakat sex pillow
    says the guy who grumped all over Dear Esther's music.

Taking the Death Toll
    Actually I grumped all over Dear Esther's everything. The Fucking Sad Strings (Are You Sad Yet?) is just part of a wider problem with their lousy sound mixing that rendered the bad poetry nearly inaudible and wasn't mitigated until they released the $10 environment artist's portfolio version that came with subtitles.

Astronomical realism wasn't a good choice for this type of game. It sounds good on paper but it affects the gameplay flow in a big way. But going after former colleague with a libel suit isn't going to ingratiate yourself anyway.

I like trading games, and Elite type especially... I may as well mention once again my favorite game, Hardwar, is in the Elite mold with the bonus of being focused on one planet (the sheer spread of open space sort of reduced the action potential I thought). It also had multiplayer, and multiplayer works really well for this kind of game. So it's good the new version will have that. I'll be happy to see it come out. All the good space trading games are really showing their age now.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Braben FINALLY put up some prototype gameplay footage. Christ, they should've just done this in the first place and they wouldn't have gotten so many cynical reactions (and nutjobs thinking that it's just a scam to keep Frontier Developments afloat).

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5JYRyhxYhI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5JYRyhxYhI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

It's crazy all this. After a decade of 'nobody likes space games', according to publishers, all the big guns and a thousand pretenders are back at the same time. Which is annoying as there's quite a few interesting ideas falling by the wayside in the crush to jump on the big bandwagons.
    (there was bit on a recent Idle Thumbs where on of them heard exactly that from some COD fan friend of theirs. Talking about what they're looking forward to he talked about Roberts game, I think, and they guy just said "Pfft, space. Who cares about space?")

Anyway, it's not entirely clear which of the games I like the best at this point. Roberts' effort sounds more Wing Commander-ish, from memory, with instanced missions/areas and so on. But he did make Freelancer. Which is all I want really; Freelancer 2 : Fly Around And Do What The Fuck You Like. Elite seems more able to avoid MMO-ish 'early adopters get all the things'. So far anyway.

Did you fellas spot this one?
    Limit Theory

Crazy procedural one man band kind of business. Sounds familiar. Less multiplayer oriented so you/he don't need a ton of cash I suppose.

verbose douchebag
    Hmmmmm. I'm already backing several projects, but both Elite (now it has the video and I've heard more about what he wants to do) and Limit Theory look worthy of my cash :/

Thanks EvaUnit02

I was instantly sold concerning this game but seeing that the original Elite ship controls seems to be back in makes me look forward to it even more.

Muzman: Yeah, I decided to take a punt on Limit Theory.

In reality there's next to nothing on show at the moment in terms of gameplay, but it's nevertheless impressive for only a fairly short amount of part-time development. The presentation of the project is also good, and I got the impression that the guy probably does have the ability to deliver on a lot of the things he wants to have (and he obviously has the desire & motivation).

Hopefully money well-spent.

Another video here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/355940

Oo cool. It's already made it as well, kickstarter wise.
    What caught my eye immediately was he's using some Freelancer-esque mouse steering. Squeee!

Elite: Dangerous Dev Diary 3 - Player Roles

Anacondas v. Vipers.

And I'm still liking what I see and hear.

It's 20 years that i wait this game...

please don't let the dream fail now.

Help the Frontier Development with this kickstart.

Contribute to Elite: Dangerous on Kickstarter
    http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, Elite was awesome at the time but games have come on and several of the previous sequels were shocking. Could it be Just Another Space Game?

On the other, I'm intrigued.

Still Subjective
    Funny there is this and Godus coming out - both harking back to the good old days.

This looks pretty good but it'll need a solid plot for me to be really interested now. What will it do that others haven't done before? Elite may have set the benchmark but there has been a lot that has come after and built on it, no? I'm not talking about the Elite sequels.

I think I've changed as a gamer and I can't explain what I'm into anymore. Apart from artfag games of course. Bring me all your Journeys and Dear Esters any day.

Another video update, Scavenger hunt, plus more tier rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    This looks pretty good but it'll need a solid plot for me to be really interested now.
    I have the impression there's no plot (apart from a loose context) and whatever canon material will eventually comes out of the novel writers' minds.

My partner said that she didn't like it because, "It's just spaceships". She's just pissed because they don't have pretty green glass elf armour.

EDIT: On a replay I only just noticed the last few notes played in this video and the previous trailer. Slightly spine tingling.
    Last edited by casalor; 22nd Dec 2012 at 13:58.

The X Series is its main competition, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFx5fcAsrl0

I've been loving that series for a while. Everyone knows Elite is the spiritual grandfather of this whole line of gameplay, but they've been out of the game for a long time while the X Series has been kicking out games for the last decade and honing the model. It's got all the free-form parts down -- trading, building, pirating -- *and* its games have cool storylines you can follow if you want. So I don't know how well a new Elite could really stand out, I mean aside from the obvious name recognition. It'd have to do something really unique I think.

I don't want to be against it just to be negative though. I hope it's a good game that pushes some boundaries. I'm just actually anticipating the next X game because the previous ones have been so good IMO (save the original buggy X3 release that got fixed with patches, but they've improved since then).
    Last edited by demagogue; 24th Dec 2012 at 04:10.

Still Subjective
    Holy Inception music knock off Batman!

Yeah, Elite has top be pretty special to take on its rivals now.

On the other hand it could work if it's lean and to the point. I've noticed a lot of leaner games recently - if you can do one interesting thing very well you're onto something. Depends on price though; these simpler games aren't big or complex enough to be full price it seems.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast