TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New Program: Easily convert objects to 3ds!

New Program: Easily convert objects to 3ds!

What is it?
    DEOCI is a program that makes it easy to convert Dark Engine objects (.bin or .e) to .3ds format, which can then be imported into a 3D object program of your choice, e.g. Anim8or, Blender, 3dsMax, Maya and many others.

Most objects use .gif and .tga textures, and occasionally .pcx. Not all 3D object programs can read these, so DEOCI is also able to make use of any program that has a command-line interface with an image conversion option.

How does it work?
    The program runs two existing tools (bintoe and eto3ds) to convert the object (this is optional however). If you have chosen to convert textures, it also uses a program of your choice to convert each texture. A good example of a suitable program is IrfanView. You are able to tell the program the structure of the conversion command. See the readme for more info.

Are there any instructions?
    There is a readme in the zip package, and an identical version is online too:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/readme/readme.html

Download link:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI121.zip

Any system requirements?
    It's a Windows program, and it requires the .NET framework version 3.5 or above. There's a good chance you already have it so try the program first.

Did anyone test this?
    Yes. It was tested by Daraan, LarryG, Renzatic and Ricebug. It works on 32 and 64 bit machines.
    Last edited by R Soul; 23rd Dec 2012 at 17:03.

Could it be that the 4 people who beta tested this are the only ones who reckon they'll use it? I initially wrote it for myself and thought I may as wall share it, which prompted me to work on the interface and error checking. Those things took some time so if anyone does use this it would be nice to know.

I'm sure that once people realize what it is and what it does, they will use it. Give it time. Meanwhile, thank you for the Chanukah present! I appreciate and am using it.

I've edited the thread title and included an exclamation mark and a thumbs up icon. That should do it.

I just noticed that even with v1.2, when you select the Browse button, the browsing doesn't start with the file path specified in the text edit box. It really should if that is a valid path.

Feature added!

Version 1.2.1:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI121.zip

Great!

Could you do the same for the output folder selection?

I already have done. If it's not working for you, make sure the selected folder exists, otherwise Browse cannot take you there.

Works for Selected Object etc. on the Object/Texture info (input folder) tab, but not for the Converted object or Texture on the Output folders tab. The folder specified exists, but the browse button always starts with Desktop.

What about "Obj/Mesh Folder" in the first tab?

The reason I ask is that that's the only other 'select folder' button. If that doesn't work, there may be a pattern emerging. If it does work, I'll have to start doing some research because all three work the same way.

Ah! The folder I used on the Output folders tab needs to be scrolled to in order to see that it is selected. The problem is that it looks like it isn't selected because the screen is scrolled all the way to the top and not to the selected folder when you select Browse. The Select Object Browse File button behaves differently, scrolling you to the selected folder automatically. The Obj/Mesh Folder Browse button also behaves differently. It scrolls you to the selected folder.

Edit: Correction - the Folder Browse buttons behave the same, when I specify the same folder on the Obj/Mesh Folder text box I get the same results. The folder specified is one just below the last one shown on the window. With a different folder it can show up in the window. So some of the time, the specified folder doesn't get scrolled to, and some of the time it does.
    Last edited by LarryG; 23rd Dec 2012 at 20:48.

I just looked into it (used Google) but it doesn't look like a quick fix. But you can tab your way into the folder list and use the cursor keys if you have a long way to scroll.

Knowing that it is selected helps. With that knowledge I should be able to figure out how to traverse the list relative to that selected folder. It was that it didn't look like it was selected that fooled me.

I think this sounds great! Have been updating and reworking some old maps, but haven't really been in the Editor's Guild for a while. Glad I decided to check in. Can't think why there are so few responses to this. Maybe not many fm authors interested in working with objects?

Anything that makes my mission projects easier to enhance gets a BIG from me!
    Thank you!

The download link do not working. Anyone got better one?

Oh, that app. I tried it, but never got it to work, so much fields to fill, don't understand all of it.