TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepare to die. Again.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Interesting! Thanks for the tip van Hellsing.

Moderator and Priest
    Even getting to the expansion keeps in line with the mood and attitude of the rest of the game. Most DLC advertises itself once you install it. Wanna go to the new Scary Fucking Island that came with the Scary Fucking Island download pack? There'll a big flashing light leading you right there to it. No problem!

Want to get to Oolacile? Well, we've tucked the entrance into this one obscure corner of the game that requires you to get an obscure part from an obscure regular looking monster we added to an area where he won't look at all out of place. HAVE FUN!

When I first started playing, I figured there'd be a new path opened up somewhere with the expansion, and I'd happen across it during the natural course of the game. BUT NO! I had to look up a walkthrough just to learn how to get to it.

Chakat sex pillow
    The realisation just dawned upon me - I want a game like this, but without the brutal difficulty. So, in effect, what I really want to play is Fez.

Level 10,000 achieved

Don't call it a comeback!

Sif was easier once I had a better shield and my Uchigatana upgraded to +7.

Moderator and Priest
    \m/

Watching you play through that made me realize how easy I had it with the Black Knight Sword. It's a slower weapon, but it nails everyone for 300+ per hit, so you don't need to swing it nearly so fast to rack up on the damage.

Also, Sulp is a giant wimp!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok I know I'm going crazy with the uploading and posting videos here but I just had - HAD! - to post this one because I feel it encapsulates the very essence of the Dark Souls experience. Just defeated Pinwheel and, instead of doing the smart thing and going back to the bonfire, I take my 48000 Souls and +1 Humanity and march straight into Tomb of the Giants.

Having played Demon's Souls, I have found Dark Souls to be a little less intense than some but The Tomb of the Giants was one of the areas that brought back the ol' immagonnadie feeling.

Currently progress: I have killed 5 of the last 6 bosses on my first try (Bed of Chaos sent me plummeting to my death a couple of times) so I'm feeling pretty good. However, I've just entered the DLC area and defeated the Guardian in a tough battle so I'm expecting my swagger to be scuttled at some point. After that it's off to New Londo.

I don't know what to do with my SL1 char, I could finish off Gwyn no problem, but I know I'll regret not beating Manus and Kalameet :/ Manus just utterly destroys me so far, I make too many mistakes to reliably get him to half HP even.

For now I'll probably focus on getting more armors/weapons upgraded, boss weapons forged etc. I won't stay at SL1 for NG+, but I want to be able to take this char in any direction right from the Asylum. I even farmed the drakes for scales so I could get the full dragonoid form.

Speaking of directions, anyone care to suggest a theme for me to use? I kind of want to get some actual roleplay going.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, personally I keep the Dark Souls wiki open in my iPad, sitting next to me while I play the game. I don't look at it too much out of fear of spoiling what comes next, but it's useful for explaining stuff like stats, enchancements and the like. Or if I wanna know something and still don't want a too spoliery answer I'll ask TTLG.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, whereabouts can I expect to encounter the DLC content? Just say the general area plz. I'm in Anor Londo already and thought I would've run into it by now.
    I went through my whole first playthrough and never found it. I advise you to look it up.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think van Hellsing's pointers are enough of a clue for now. I'm heading to the Archives next to poke around.

Anyway, Dark Souls II, then. Edge Magazine has a free sample edition in it's iPad app which includes a preview of DS2. I just read through the thing and here are some key points:

-PC version not confirmed, but not denied either. The version of the game the Edge people saw running was running on a high-end gaming laptop.
    -Graphically it apparently looks amazing. Watch Dogs-level amazing.
    -Demon's and Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki will not be directing Dark Souls II. He will be a supervisor of the title but his role will be quite hands-off. This is not by his own decision, but rather one by Namco Bandai who have instead put him in charge of directing another new title. In his place Tomoshiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura are stepping in as game directors. They both worked on mech-game Another Century before coming to this, which sounds like an odd carreer-progression until you find out that Miyazaki worked on mech-game Armored Core before creating Demon's Souls, so maybe it's not too far-fetched after all.

"As he exits the room, the reality sinks in - this is really happening. We've been taught that if the Fire Keeper dies, the bonfire they guard turns to cold ash. Let's hope this is the exception. Dark Souls II has the potential to be a dramatic departure indeed."

-gameworld the same size as Dark Souls, but more densely populated. Not Lordran.
    -"The concept of time and the existence of time is something that will be key to Dark Souls II" says Shibuya, but is overall very tightlipped about the story.
    -The controls will be the same as in DS and old players should feel right at home right from the start, but at the same time the opening areas of the game are being made more linear and more accessible to new players. Things like Covenants are also being more clearly explained.
    -The dev team are experimenting with implementing vehicles. Horses or charriots most likely.
    -there will be some sort of a morality system. If you commit too many evil deeds a Black Knight in a horse-drawn charriot will come chasing after you.
    -the game is about 25% done at the moment, probably won't be released within 2013.
    Last edited by henke; 27th Jan 2013 at 10:25.

PC version confirmed, actually. Big stonking PC icon (which used to link to GFWL, but doesn't anymore) on the official site.

Also Edge is full of shit, I suggest reading this interview with Miyazaki and Shibuya instead.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wow that is a great interview, and the interviewer asked some great questions. Probably helped that he spoke the same language as the devs, as opposed to the Edge guys who, as I understood it, had to have a translator. But the info in the interview and in the Edge one are pretty much the same, so I don't see how Edge would be "full of shit".

I don't see how Edge would be "full of shit".
    "As he exits the room, the reality sinks in - this is really happening. We've been taught that if the Fire Keeper dies, the bonfire they guard turns to cold ash. Let's hope this is the exception. Dark Souls II has the potential to be a dramatic departure indeed."

^this kind of sensationalism, claiming it's going to be what Skyrim is to TES etc.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sensationalism? I thought it was colorful writing, and I directly quoted that part because I liked how they put it. And where are you getting this stuff about Skyrim? I didn't see any mention of that in the article.

Colorful as in coloring the readers expectations, creating a sense of drama. I vastly prefer the down-to-earth attitude of 4gamer, especially when we're still at the gathering info stage. Let's save the purple prose for later.

I kind of remembered the Skyrim thing wrong, it seems, but they do mention TES left field right on the opening page:

"(...)we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls"

"We" being Edge of course, not From.

Taking the Death Toll
    I hate it when van HellSing is right. Good thing it doesn't happen often.

"Sensationalism" is the wrong word for what's happening here though.

The interview was great, but kind of odd. The idea of adding Sorrow as a keyword for the series doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, because it's already a pillar of the series. Demon's and Dark both had bosses which were undeniably tinged with remorse - pretty damn important bosses at that, and it's not like they were subtle about it either.

Nice to know they'll be going back to dedicated servers too. Just hope the mechanics are a bit better though out from the beginning for the more offbeat modes though. The gravelord covenant should've been a great addition to Dark Souls, but between the flaky networking code and the fact that you used up your eyes of death even when the networking didn't co-operate, it fell completely flat.

Anyway, sort of replaying now. Short on other things I want to play, so I'm slowly making a strength character, figure I'll leave him around SL64 or so, cover the most common multiplayer ranges. Ramp up is kind of slow though, and grinding out shards isn't fun. Haven't fought any bosses at all yet, but got most of the basic stuff I need. About 40 friggin' dung pies from grinding out a large club - I think I may try to beat Capra Demon in the style of "Great Mighty Poo".

El Shagmeister

Woooohooo, been breezing through the bosses so far!

Capra Demon took me -one- try, yusss!!

Just ran the 2nd bell, going to run errands, level equipment and poke about before heading to Sen's.

I still feel guilty when I summon one or two players/NPCs and let'em do the brunt of the boss-killing work....*sniffles*

Oh well....

I'm enjoying the Undead Parish - those caped knights are fun adversaries to train my (fairly sad) combat skills on, and I'm now relatively comfortable taking on three of the guys at the same time. It's about time to climb to the top of that tower, though...

... but before that, I'm planning to get some more arrows lodged in that drake's tail. Here's hoping I packed enough of those arrows!

verbose douchebag
    I got the Drake sword but am kind of regretting it. Feels almost like I'm cheating since most non boss enemies go down with one or two strikes.

El Shagmeister

Don't worry, give it some time and you'll get your ass handed back to you in sooner rather than later

@henke: What were you doing with those Prism Stones when you hucked them over the edge of that cliff in the Tomb of Giants?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Checking the depth. They make a sound when they hit the ground so you can gague how far of a drop it is.

I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure what else they might be doing. Thanks.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    The interview was great, but kind of odd. The idea of adding Sorrow as a keyword for the series doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, because it's already a pillar of the series. Demon's and Dark both had bosses which were undeniably tinged with remorse - pretty damn important bosses at that, and it's not like they were subtle about it either.
    Perhaps after killing each boss, we're treated to a cut-scene of their loved ones receiving the news?

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126 ... LastLast