TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FTL

It's defining a genre. I guess Rogue-like-like is as good a name as any.
    I can already see a lot of other settings they could spin this gameplay.

Whew, I did it! Surprisingly, not with Engi cruiser but Kestrel. I managed to find fire bomb, system bomb and breach (they bypass the shields most of the time). I used cloak to hide from power attacks. I had to stock up on missiles, and even then I almost ran out of them - I accidentally killed the last crew member and the auto-repair began, so I had to be fast

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nicely done Judith!

Havent finished it yet, but I have unlocked the stealth cruiser, which is pretty sweet, comes with cloaking device but no shields though.

Yeah, that thing scares me as a starting ship. I'm playing around with the Torus right now (Engi ship), and my first run was cut rather short by taking the wrong path on the starmap then running into the Rebel fleet (in sector 1!). I had two extra crewmembers too!

My first run I actually beat the first skirmish with the Rebel Flagship (on easy mind you), but got totally overrun by drones on the second. I had two good missile launchers, but I just couldn't hit the damn drone control room decisively enough.

Unlocked the Stealth Cruiser yesterday too.

Haven't had chance to do a run with it yet, looks like it's equipped with pea shooters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker
    My first run I actually beat the first skirmish with the Rebel Flagship (on easy mind you), but got totally overrun by drones on the second.
    It's not the drones I have trouble with on the flagship, it's those damn missile launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    It's not the drones I have trouble with on the flagship, it's those damn missile launchers.
    Buy the cloak and/or invest your power bars in the engine + have a pilot with maxed out experience in the last sector. That should give you the Evade rating over 50%, it will help a lot to dodge both lasers and missiles.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Or invest in Drone Control and get a Defence Drone Mk2. Those shoot down both incoming missiles and lasers.

Easier said than done, of course. My game last night came to a halt shortly after I bought Drone Control instead of investing in better weaponry. Sure I had a solid defence, but without weapons powerful enough to penerate the shields of any enemies I encountered it was all downhill from there.

Right Men, STEALTH CRUISER RUN BEGINS

Ok, first impression of this peculiar bird is not good, exploderisation of hull happened at first jump in Sector 2.

Although the USS-POS has stealth it doesn't last long enough to be of any real use, especially with the long cooldown. So, you have to save up for shields which is nigh on impossible because you're always repairing hull. I guess I could have avoided more enemy encounters with the long range scanners but then how am I supposed to get scrap? Hmm, maybe I'll try cruising around every non-hostile beacon in the first sector and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Hmm, maybe I'll try cruising around every non-hostile beacon in the first sector and see what happens.
    Take note of the ship specific achievements for it.

Well, second trip in the Stealth Cruiser is going much better.

haha clocked almost 40 hours on this baby, what an awesome game.

Moderator and Priest
    Damn. I got to the rebel flagship and didn't know jumping out when it was within a certain range would've ended the game.

Not that it would've mattered much. The thing was kicking my ass every which way it possibly could. I barely took 5 bars off the thing while it whittled me down to 30% hull within 3 minutes.

That's gonna be a rough, rough fight to win.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Decided to take a break from getting my ass kicked on Normal to feel like the baddest motherfucker in outer space on Easy. My Federation spaceship is all juiced up. Good laser guns, offensive and defensive drones, teleporter. Crew memebers manning all the vital systems, with two to spare which I use as an away-team. Those two are getting quite proficient at ass-kicking let me tell you. I'm about to jump into the final sector and I have 341 Scrap that I don't even know what to do with. Got a good feeling about this one.

Oh, you tart

Level 10,000 achieved

SPACE IS SAFE! MAY THE VICTORY CELEBRATIONS COMMENCE!

Oh yeah I found something to spend my scrap on. This thing called a Glaive Beam or something like that. Came in handy!

verbose douchebag
    I had one of those on my recent play-through. They take an age to charge, but carve up ships goooood. I died.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Or invest in Drone Control and get a Defence Drone Mk2. Those shoot down both incoming missiles and lasers.
    Oh how I wish I'd done that, I passed up the chance to buy defense 2 thinking my all-out offense tactics were better (attack, beam and breaching drones). Did a fantastic job until the flagship, which then hammered me with missiles - they were the main problem. I had the 3 drones, ion blaster 2 (really quick), a small bomb and a pike laser, and a great crew of 8 including 2 Zoltans. Max shields, cloak & power, and eventually found the drone salvage arm so really let rip after that. The only glaring weakness was no engine upgrade, so evasion was very poor. This was on Easy. It kicked arse, but all the stuff that had worked so well in almost every fight achieved next-to-nothing in the endgame. To add insult to injury, there were only two repair stations on the final map, both in really awkward spots (one was behind the flagship's starting position!). And despite my ace ship & crew, I took quite a beating in a random fight on the way, so I had to use one before engaging the flagship. After another beating, when I went to jump for the other one, it had fallen to the rebels. That was a nice feeling o___o

Would have just been delaying the inevitable even if I'd repaired though, I was getting absolutely nowhere in the second boss phase. I'm guessing the third phase teleports loads of bastards aboard your ship? Also I'm wondering if missiles can be effective at all during the second phase - I tried once but the flagship's defense drone shot every single one down. That ship build had no other way to take shields down, so after a pretty good first phase I was totally screwed

Every time a game ends I want to restart straight away. Many real-life things that need doing are not getting done.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    Would have just been delaying the inevitable even if I'd repaired though, I was getting absolutely nowhere in the second boss phase. I'm guessing the third phase teleports loads of bastards aboard your ship? Also I'm wondering if missiles can be effective at all during the second phase - I tried once but the flagship's defense drone shot every single one down. That ship build had no other way to take shields down, so after a pretty good first phase I was totally screwed

Every time a game ends I want to restart straight away. Many real-life things that need doing are not getting done.
    Third phase = Beam Spam Special

To effectively use Missiles in the second phase you need to disable the drone control, though Bombs get through just fine. Fire Bomb is generally one of the best weapons in the game. Even though it's not as effective against Rockmen or automated ships, it still beats the crap out of everything else and it's vicious when used with a Rockman boarding party.

Good tips, thank you. OK, now on Easy run number 4 - I've taken the rock ship with three rock crewmen, I'm on the third sector and so far my extras are: teleporter, fire bomb and fire beam, breach missile, drone control with two defense 1 drones, and an Engi crewman. Most of this has been 'free,' I haven't spent a great deal of scrap nor had to do many repairs. This time for sure!!

EDIT: also just found a heavy ion (which I don't think I'll use) and a pegasus missle. The pegasus fires two missiles per attack, does anyone know if this uses up two missiles or do you get two for the price of one?
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 22nd Dec 2012 at 19:55.

You get two for the price of one. The detailed description on the weapons screen states as much.

I got smoked by the flagship again, this time with the Torus. The teleporting ion bomb and ion canon can be a good combo, but not if you are trying to disable something OTHER than shields first. The Ion bomb wasn't enough on its own, and the cannon did piddly ion damage on the shields instead. My 4 shot laser rarely got though. I should have taken down the shields first instead of immediately targeting drone control with my load out. The laser could have done that job once the shields were down.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A thing worth noting with the flagship is that the rooms with the weapons are separate from the rest of the ship, so if you take out one of the weapons, and there's no enemyguy in the room to reapir the system, it's not coming back online(for that stage at least). If you have a teleporter team or one of those teleporting bombs it's worth targetting one of the missile launchers.

Got to phase3 of Boss with the first engi ship on Normal difficulty. The only reason I died is because I got unlucky with repair spots in the last sector and couldn't fix my ship before attacking for the last time. Had to take a break after that...

Two fast ion cannons, lots of laser drones (beams are bad because they do not take down shields) and three-layers of shields and almost maxed out engines. Best recipe to win imo, cloacking isn't worth it usually (it can work if timed correctly, but takes up energy I would like to spend elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    A thing worth noting with the flagship is that the rooms with the weapons are separate from the rest of the ship, so if you take out one of the weapons, and there's no enemyguy in the room to repair the system, it's not coming back online(for that stage at least). If you have a teleporter team or one of those teleporting bombs it's worth targetting one of the missile launchers.
    That's something I wondered about - whether it's safe to send an away team to those isolated weapon pods. Do they have O2?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever spend more than the minimum on the teleporter? iirr the basic is 20-second cooldown, with upgrades to 15 then 10. Has anyone found themselves really needing the quicker cooldown?

On the subject of missiles again, there's an achievement for the rock ship that requires you to destroy an enemy who has a defense drone deployed, using only your missiles. I guess you'd need to time two or more missile weapons to fire together. Haven't seen the Pegasus in action yet, I'd like to see if it fires rapidly enough to get past a defense drone. Oh, and I'm in two minds about whether the breach missile is a good combo with the rest of the loadout I was talking about before (fire weapons and rockmen invaders) - it does good damage, and hull breaches in addition to fires and system damage will give the enemy a lot to repair. But it would be self defeating if the hull breaches end up putting fires out and/or sapping health from my own guys. I've no idea how quick the O2 loss will occur, AI repair priorities, etc. - would love to have a full sensor array and just watch it all play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuso
    cloacking isn't worth it usually (it can work if timed correctly, but takes up energy I would like to spend elsewhere).
    Another thing I was wondering about... I don't have a cloak to look at right now, I remember it tells you how long each level lasts, but does it tell you how long the cooldown is too? I'm wondering if level one cloak expires & cools down quick enough to use it to dodge one particular attack (personally, I'm thinking of the flagship's horrible triple missile). If it is = or quicker than that weapon's firing cycle, then I reckon it would be well worth the cost & one power bar. Probably wishful thinking though

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    That's something I wondered about - whether it's safe to send an away team to those isolated weapon pods. Do they have O2?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever spend more than the minimum on the teleporter? iirr the basic is 20-second cooldown, with upgrades to 15 then 10. Has anyone found themselves really needing the quicker cooldown?
    Yeah those rooms have O2. And to answer your second question: if you do end up teleporting your guys into a place without O2 then you can teleport them back out in time if you have level 2 teleporters. Of course you might be better off just getting level 2 sensors instead, so you can see if the enemies rooms have O2.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast