TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FTL

Ah, I haven't played with the subsystems much. I've been trying some runs through nebula sectors for more scrap-collecting opportunities, so that I'd be able to afford subsystems in the end, as well as all the main systems I wanted to upgrade. Amassing loads of scrap, but have come to a few nasty ends running out of fuel or missiles. My missile/fire/teleport/drone rockship bit the dust, can't believe how lucky I got with parts there, and I threw it away through greed and stupidity. I'm trying to find a similar build

A couple of observations:
    I don't know if the AI repair priority is always the same, but I once put one of my rockmen in an enemy's shield room and another in their weapon room. It was a quest asking me not to wipe them all out, so when there was only one crewman left I moved my guys in and out of the rooms when he entered, so as not to kill him. He would always run to the shield room when it was being attacked, leaving me to do what I liked in the weapon room. If that's always what the AI does (let's say shields are high priority, maybe only O2 is higher), you could repeatedly delay their repairs of other systems by hitting the shield occasionally to draw crew away. Could be useful for missile or maybe ion builds.

There's an exploit of sorts for raising your crew skills - if you find an enemy who can't get through your shields at all, you can stop attacking it and your pilot, engine and shield crew will get skill gains for as long as the combat lasts. Not the gunner, but they seem to level up pretty quickly anyway. Plenty of sector 1 enemies fit the bill if you upgrade shields early. Not that I condone such behaviour of course.

I finally beat the game on normal. I did it as follows:

I used the Osprey (second time playing the ship). I was lucky enough to find a second blaster of the same kind it has as start (three lasers each doing 1 dmg). If all hit, this meant 6 points of damage, more than enough to get through any shields. The weapons did a lot, but I'd say my victory was due to an early scrap recovery arm and fucktons of shields/evasion. Even if for some reason my weapons were unable to pierce the shields (for example, 4 layers of shields need a bit of luck, since miss % chance), I had enough evasion and shields to last until my artillery laser was ready. It negates all shields and if you're lucky, it hits up to 3 rooms. After that you can often pierce the shields easily.

On top of my blasters, I also got a glaive beam late in the game, which basically the best beam in the game and pretty much destroys anything even if it has to go one layer of a shield.

I had a mantis, rockman and an engi taking care of any teleporter crew with still having every station manned. I've personally steered away from teleporters, because I screw it up really easy. It is imba against the boss though.

Congrats on your Osprey win! The type A seems like a good ship (type B starting weapon is too weak) but all my Osprey runs on Normal have come to nought. I'm dying to get my hands on a glaive beam.

Man, this game is hard work. Finally completed it on easy a few days ago, then on normal yesterday (after quite a few failed attempts). I think piling points into evasion early was probably the best decision I made; I've always gone for shields early and it does help save scrap, but this time I slightly favoured evasion and it seemed to pay off. I'll give myself some credit for tactics and I did feel satisfied with the win, but at the same time it does feel like luck is maybe the biggest factor. I've had better ships than this come to horrendous ends in 1 or 2 astonishingly unlucky encounters.

That last battle was pretty awesome though. Entered the last stand with an awkward route to the flagship and three repair stations on the map. I got in a couple of scrapes and had to repair once before meeting the flagship, and after boss phase 1 the other two repair stations had gone! So I had about 90% health and no repairs for the boss battle. Triple missiles and breaching drones were by far the worst threat, I always took out the former asap, but I thought I was going to get torn apart in the second phase. The super drone attack in phase 2 did some nasty damage until I took out the ship's remaining weapons & drone control, after that it all got caught by my shields. The phase 3 super laser attack missed every shot! General tactics were to let all my weapons charge up, hit the shield with a missile, fire all lasers and hope they completely take down remaining shields, then send a fire beam through the shield room (through sickbay too is a good idea). I had to time the beam with the third shot of the hull laser for it to strike in the brief gap when their shields are fully down. Then send my rockmen into the shield room, where they'll prevent anyone from putting out the flames or repairing. The enemy crew will be quickly injured and run off to sickbay (which might be broken and/or ablaze) which helps the rockmen stick around longer, and soon their shields will be completely screwed and there'll be flames everywhere. The ship did go into autorepair eventually, but by then it was way too late. Phase 2 was the worst because I couldn't use my missile at all while they still had drone control - all 4 laser shots had to hit before I could get a fire beam in. It took a long time.

That was really rewarding, but I have to say I've had more fun on easy. My winning easy ship was also a Bulwark with (I think) everything maxed except pilot's seat and drones. Pegasus/heavy laser 2/hull laser 2/firebomb, can't remember all augs but one was Weapon Pre-igniter (LOVE this one!), defense drone 2 (never got used tbh) and hull repair, with a crew of 8 including dedicated rockman away team. It kicked arse! After never getting past boss phase 2, this one came through the whole endgame with barely a scratch. I have to stick up for the cloak - I agree that maxing it ties up 3 power that's more effective elsewhere, but lvl1 used as a guaranteed dodge against specific attacks is great and well worth 1 power. It's not quick enough to avoid every missile volley, but you can dodge every 2nd one, which is handy until you've taken that weapon out, and I think it's quick enough to dodge every special attack.

EDIT: can't stay away, I managed a successful Osprey type A run on Normal this afternoon. Had an odd selection of weapons but the fully upgraded artillery beam is ace. Just don't forget about it when you've got crew off fighting like I did. Enemy ship sliced in two with my rockmen still aboard Duh. Can't believe I still finished after that, I had to reshuffle crew and ended up with an away team of mantis & slug. Early & heavy investment in engines seems to be a rare reliable thing in this random game.
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 27th Dec 2012 at 14:51.

verbose douchebag
    Completed on easy on my 6th or 7th run. Had Ion II, halberd beam, defence drone II, anti-ship drone II, hull repair drone, 3 shields, 6 engine. Engi cruiser. 3 Engi crew, 1 human, 1 Zoltan, 1 mantid.

I just autofired the ion II on the shields and had the halberd hack through 3 rooms containing as many useful sub-systems as possible. The hull repair was a god send, repairing up to 5 HP for 1 drone part. The evasion and defense drone went very well together.

Utterly amazing game. I know I won't stop playing it. It is now in my "perma-install" category.

Any tips for surviving missiles in the early sectors? The beam weapons seem fairly easy to block with shields, but repair costs with missiles blowing two points out my hull with every shot are proving to be a real drain on my scrap.

It's been frustrating on Normal so I'm going to give Easy a shot. Might make it easier to unlock some of the better ships, I guess.

Sounds like you need to prioritize your attacks better. Depending on the ship, you just need to attack smartly (depending on the gear of the enemy's ship, you might want to attack the weaponry straightly and just pierce the shields without hitting the shield system) and upgrade your engines. Usually you should survive the battles without more than 2 hits from a missile, which is nothing in hull damage.

Engines are underrated. There's nothing like seeing a salvo of missiles all miss while not cloaked.

On my very next game (albeit on Easy) I managed to get to the second stage of the final boss before getting murdered by drones. I got a teleporter and two rock crewmen early, and being able to board enemy ships once I damaged them seems a very easy way to incapacitate even the tougher ships. When the final boss showed up I had a team of two rocks and a team of two mantises, and they knocked out all the weapons and slaughtered the crew in short order. Then in the next stage, I went for the weapons again instead of immediately hitting the drone control, and got swarmed as a result.

Oh well. I'm starting to get the hang of it, my main complaint is that it seems awfully difficult to unlock the other ships.

Tips for dealing with missiles early - as Kuuso says, target weapons as highest priority. Also upgrade engines early & often and have engines & pilot's seat manned at all times if possible. Some ships might be able to use missiles to take out enemy weapons quicker or a defense drone to shoot down their missiles, but you want to be careful about using up your ammo too quickly.

For boss second phase, the safest way is a defense drone* to shoot down incoming boarding drones, and a level one cloak so you can dodge every 'power surge' drone attack. I highly recommend the defense drone, but the cloak is not needed if your all-round build is good - if you have max evasion & 3 or 4 shields and you take down the flagship's weapons fairly quickly, you'll take little/no damage from the special attack. Highest priority as always is to take out the triple-missile launcher; if you don't have a defense drone then taking out their drone control asap is vital too. Once those are gone, take out the other weapons and you should be safe (furthermore, you should breeze phase 3, I've always found it the easiest)

*I've read that defense 1 can be better than defense 2 here, because defense 2 will shoot at enemy lasers, and so maybe miss a boarding drone or missile approaching at the same time. Two defense 1 drones are probably better, but really a single one should suffice unless you're having trouble taking out the triple missile launcher.

verbose douchebag
    Booya! Second killing of the flagship. This time with Zoltan cruiser
    I'm really getting the hang of juggling systems around and switching weapons to suit different scenarios etc...
    Also - don't underestimate the value of the sys repair drone. Generally great for fire control if you have upgraded your doors.

[EDIT] Also, having one missile weapon and using it sparingly can be very useful with some of the more persistent shielded enemies, plus missiles rock for the flagship. I died once trying to kill it all with beam weapons and couldn't disable shields long enough to take out the cloak and then it would stealth out while its shields came back online.

I can't remember my exact load-out for this one, but had: full engines, full shields, full doors, 7 weapon power with halberd beam, hermes missile, ion blaster II & leto missiles, 4 x drone power with anti-ship I, defence I & sys repair (only had slots for 2, so spent mid game using anti-ship & defence, then swapped anti-ship for sys repair late game). Augs were Zoltan shield, weapon reloader and mysterious broken pod of some kind which I assume is for unlocking a ship, but I couldn't find a way to get it fixed. Crew were: 3 x Zoltan, 2 x Engi, 2 x Rockmen, 1 x Mantis

I killed the flagship by hitting shields with my ion blaster & hermes missile and hitting the cloak with the leto missile, then switching to halberd beam to take out a weapon and any nearby rooms when the shields were all down and having the leto switch to e.g. O2 to keep repair crews busy while the ion blaster keeps the shields off.

Also, I've found that a good tactic with ion + halberd beam is to have the ion target the cockpit, as it will auto ion the shields if it hits any and disabling the cockpit means everything thereafter always hits.
    Last edited by faetal; 3rd Jan 2013 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    mysterious broken pod of some kind which I assume is for unlocking a ship, but I couldn't find a way to get it fixed.
    It is the first step of getting to the secret sector and finding the secret ship. After finding the broken pod, you need to get the (unique) Medical Records event. If you found the event before the pod, then you can't get the Crystal guy inside it (the event is tagged as unique and you can't save it for later). If you do manage to get both events and in the right order, then you'll get a nice crew member and unlock the ability to use the special beacon that can be found in the Rockman Homeworld system (it can be found in sector 6 or 7, if it's available at all). Overall, you need quite a bit of luck to get the hidden ship.

Just as a general tip, since focusing on evasion I've completed the game every time on Normal, except once when I'd beaten boss phase 2 but it had taken out my medbay and 02 and all my guys suffocated (got torn apart mainly because I didn't have a defense drone). So for general survivability, and saving lots of scrap because you need fewer repairs, I've found this to be the only consistently reliable approach.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Oh well. I'm starting to get the hang of it, my main complaint is that it seems awfully difficult to unlock the other ships.
    Yeah, the Engi ship and Osprey will just come from progress, I think everything else is the result of a quest. The Rock ship is a pretty straightforward one which I lucked into very early. If you can find Rock Homeworlds you should get this one without too much trouble, and it's a good ship. Some of the others are so convoluted you're unlikely to get them without following a guide.

The slug ship is great! I'd tried the bio-beam before and didn't get the hang of it, but with the slugs' telepathy it is awesome - you can take out crews right from the start of the game without ever needing a boarding party. Have encountered very little difficulty with this ship.

missiles rock for the flagship.
    Be careful with that second phase though - a single-shot missile weapon will be blocked by the flagship's defense drone, so if relying on missiles, don't go in with just one
    The Zoltan ship looks great for a starting setup and not too difficult to get, I'll hunt for that next time. How does the Zoltan shield aug work, you get one full bar at the start of every battle?

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    Be careful with that second phase though - a single-shot missile weapon will be blocked by the flagship's defense drone, so if relying on missiles, don't go in with just one
    This is where ion II really came in handy. Got the shields down and then switched from Hermes missile to Halberd beam when their shields got low.

The Zoltan ship looks great for a starting setup and not too difficult to get, I'll hunt for that next time. How does the Zoltan shield aug work, you get one full bar at the start of every battle?
    Yes, exactly that. Basically, you get 5 free hit points from any weapon type before you have any risk. The biggest bonus is starting with 3 Zoltan though, as you get their power bars.

How do you maximize evasion? Is it just upgrading the engine and keeping the engines and pilot station manned?

I also got the Engi ship and it seems a little lackluster to me. It's fine for the first sector or two but once it hits enemies with 2 shields it doesn't seem to do enough consistent damage to survive the return fire. It's also harder to vent than the Kestrel so fire is more of a problem.

How do you maximize evasion? Is it just upgrading the engine and keeping the engines and pilot station manned?
    Yes. You can also upgrade the autopilot so that if you need to get the pilot to put out a fire/repair a system you still get some evasion bonus. Without an upgraded autopilot, no pilot = no evasion at all, regardless of engine upgrades.

verbose douchebag
    I completed my first run with the Engi ship. The ion blast II is great for getting through shields, you just need a rapid fire laser or missiles to finish the job. Also, don't underestimate the efficacy of some of the beam weapons which can penetrate a layer of shields. Having a halberd beam or fire beam do 1 damage to a row of rooms when the enemy ship has shields down to 1 can be really useful.

20 runs through this and I still haven't even beaten the first iteration of the Boss ship.

However I'm loving every single bit of this while trying out different strategies and tactics.

Basically, you get 5 free hit points from any weapon type before you have any risk. The biggest bonus is starting with 3 Zoltan though, as you get their power bars.
    They both sound like great advantages. If you found a weapon pre-igniter as well you'd be way overpowered I'm on the hunt for this ship now. I also want to try out more beam weapon tactics, I've used the fire and bio beams a lot, but I always focused on taking the shields down completely - seems like doing partial but widespread damage could be really effective if you get the hang of it. I could never tell if that was working with the bio beam, because I had no sensor subsystem.

How do you maximize evasion?
    Yep, exactly as you & Ulukai said. I'd recommend getting evasion up to 25 or 30% asap, then shield lvl2 before spending on anything else, most ships* should be alright with their starting weapons for this long. Then continue to up them both from time to time, I tend to have them both maxed by the time I meet the flagship. All very luck based of course but that's the plan.

* I ain't vouching for the stealth ship! That thing's baffling to me

I also got the Engi ship and it seems a little lackluster to me. It's fine for the first sector or two but once it hits enemies with 2 shields it doesn't seem to do enough consistent damage to survive the return fire. It's also harder to vent than the Kestrel so fire is more of a problem.
    I never got very far with the Engi ship either but I wasn't playing to its strengths, must try it again sometime. I'd like to try a setup with two Ion IIs if I ever find an extra one. The Engi and Rock ship consume ammo in every fight, so you're against the clock to find a decent new weapon. Good point about venting, the slug ship type A has an ace layout for it, and I just (today) got the Kestrel type B which is even better - I fly around with most of the unmanned rooms vented at all times. Risky of course, but it's great against fires & intruders, especially if you can upgrade your doors.

Good luck to ya bob_doe_nz, it's a tough old game but you'll learn quick and the randomness may not seem so harsh eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    Good luck to ya bob_doe_nz, it's a tough old game but you'll learn quick and the randomness may not seem so harsh eventually.
    Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying this game. It's simple but not so simple.

Great isn't it? I got my arse kicked so many times (on easy, let alone normal) but it's so addictive.

I got the Zoltan ship and botched my first run. Second attempt, now got a full suite of weapons incl. 2 beams... I love it! Also got gifted sys repair, anti-personnel and defense II drones by generous random people. I'm fit for the endgame & only in sector 6, fingers crossed!

Oh yeah, I've been seeing how little evasion I can get away with in the endgame. This all assumes fully skilled pilot and engineer - each guy adds 10% (unskilled, they add 5% each). I've run it with a maxed out engine several times which is 55%. Last time I tried 6 points in engine (max is 8) which gives 48% - seemed like more than enough, although you must have a good way of dealing with the boarding drones in boss phase 2. A single defense I drone was enough for me. This time I'm going to try with 5 points = 45%. And in future runs I may see if I can get away with less than max shields. The top level upgrades cost a lot, so any savings there could allow for more varied ship builds.

Sorry for the double post...

This was my favourite ship so far! Great fun to play, and I unlocked type B which I haven't had a look at yet. Once I had everything set up, this thing could take out everything before the flagship without taking a hit, don't think I've had a ship this effective on normal before. The only thing you can't see in that shot is a sys repair drone which I only used once - kinda redundant with 2 Engi in the crew. Speaking of which, the one glaring weakness was the wussy crew, I used the lvl2 doors to repeatedly trap intruders in vacuum to minimise combat. A couple of mantises could've torn these guys to bits in no time. I took a few digs (that damage is for the whole battle without repair) - I'd say 45% evasion is about the minimum I'd want going into the final sector. 3 shields would've been a bad idea, so you probably want to max one or the other. Defense II drone was amazing for most of the game, but bloody useless against flagship phase 2 - I highly recommend defense I there instead, it's far better.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one thing I noticed about the Zoltan shields: if you've got your shields manned, hits to the zoltan shield don't count towards the operator's skill. It only starts going up when you start taking hits on the 'normal' shield, so it'll progress quite slowly. My guy had only just got to the green mastery level by sector 8, everyone else had been gold for ages.
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 5th Jan 2013 at 16:35.

This is the first game from that "indie" crowd that actually may be good. But like all of them it looks a bit like a short minigame, because there aren't many systems, only combat as main system, with addition of some small events and limited exploration. I wonder, how many days of play current level of content provides? Authors says that there are many events:
    What keeps me coming back for more space adventures?

There are already over 25,000 lines of text in the events in the game (and we’re still not done). Many events have secret options that can only be unlocked with special equipment, and most of the events have multiple possible outcomes to keep them fresh. In addition to the events, the huge variety of weapon types and strategies ensures that no game will be the same.
    But these are only short dialogs, I don't know if it has replayability similiar to roguelikes. I'm considering buying it when it's cheaper.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kethoth View Post
    But like all of them it looks a bit like a short minigame, because there aren't many systems, only combat as main system, with addition of some small events and limited exploration. I wonder, how many days of play current level of content provides?
    It would be better if you thought of it as a strategy game where you develop and hone your techniques from situations rather than expecting a game where every single jump will involve lots of new content. There is a lot, but there's also quite a bit of repetition. However, no two games that I've played have been the same simply because my way of dealing with events has changed as I've learned what works and what's not worth taking the risk on. I thought the number of systems were a little limited at first - particularly as I tended to rush as quickly as possible to the next system (usually with terrible results) rather than exploring and building up my ship in the earlier stages.

As far as gametime, I've played it around 20 hours and I see quite a few others on my steam friends list who have played 20-30 hours each and I've still not defeated the final boss and only unlocked three of the nine ships. I can see me getting about 30-40 hours worth of time out of the game as it stands which stacks up pretty well against a lot of my other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kethoth View Post
    I'm considering buying it when it's cheaper.
    The game costs less than $10 and has been in the recent steam sale at least once. It's hugely re-playable and if the concept appeals then it's definitely worth getting at the current price.

69 hours and I'm about to start another game. Including Type B's I've got 6 ships left to unlock (out of 18), quite a few build ideas I've yet to try and I'm not even close to bored yet. It would be good value at double the price.

Nice! Sounds good enough.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast