TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FTL

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kethoth View Post
    This is the first game from that "indie" crowd that actually may be good.
    This is actually pretty damn offensive and blinkered. I get that there's loads of crap indie games with minor gimmicks or a focus on whispering into the player's ear "are you sad yet? are you? are you?" but you're selling a whole lot of other indie games and developers short. What about Atom Zombie Smasher? What about Journey? Torchlight 2? Hotline Miami? VVVVVV? Aquaria? Fucking Cave Story?

Not every indie game has to be Passage or Dear Esther. And even when they are, sometimes they turn out to be 30 Flights of Loving.

Echoing Dethtoll here and it's not just the modern indie games. I played the fuck out of 90's shareware games that were often better than commercial games. The same still stands and FTL is a shining example of that. Steam says I've played 66 hours of it thus far and I'm not stopping soon. I've unlocked a major portion of stuff, but still missing Rock/Mantis ships at least and some B-types. The game still throws curveballs at you every game with events that you have never seen (or haven't had right equipment or crew to deal with). The gameplay is engaging and fairly well balanced. The systems/crew don't need to be more complicated than it is at the moment, because the gameplay shines (especially when shit starts hitting the fan).

Not only that, but they're working on additional content and there's already a vibrant modding community (for example a mod that makes it a non-ending game with a much much longer "endgame").

Victory at last! (Torus, on Easy. After 28.6 hours)

Congrats, first win is pretty satisfying eh? Looks like you had an aggressive setup there, did you have the whole flagship on fire?

Been playing some more & reading various discussions... this one's a great source of tips and ideas: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...ter-than-light. Here's one I never would have thought of: avoid ion blasters knocking your shields out by switching shields off completely just as the ion weapon is about to strike! You run the risk of some other vital system being temporarily disabled, but you'll be able to put your full shields back up (as long as the ion doesn't hit the shield room!) I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen the AI shoot ion blasts into empty rooms, so as long as they're not firing lasers/beams at the same time I think it's worth a shot.

It just occurred to me that level 1 cloak + 1 power is a fair bit cheaper to buy than level 4 shields + 2 power, and cheaper to run, obviously. I've found that if you've got high evasion (engines 6+ and decent crew) and a good attack plan, then 3 shields will get you through the flagship battle on normal. The real danger will be the special 'power surge' attacks in phases 2 and 3. Level 4 shields certainly help here, but level 1 cloak would guarantee that you dodge the lot, and cools down quick enough to use every time. Might be worth trying if you're near the end and and only have enough scrap for one or the other, but already have good evasion & offense. The saving in scrap is around 70-75, enough to buy a weapon or upgrade a couple of subsystems.

Well I've done a run with the bizarre Slug ship type B (start with a teleporter but no medbay, you have to use a healbomb to mend your guys after each rumble). Ended up with two mantises, a rockman and a slug boarding & killing, and a total of seven shots of laser fire & a pegasus missile - probably one of the strangest & most aggressive builds I've had so far. Good fun, but I preferred type A's bio beam. Won once with Stealth ship A on easy, but have been absolutely obliterated with A and B every time on normal, got a headache & gave up for now. I also finished a Torus run on normal, I wished for two attack drones (like Ulukai) and two ion weapons but got neither, actually ended up with a very defensive setup, an unremarkable game and very low score, but was glad to break my losing streak with that ship. Not keen on the type B. But the Rock cruiser type B is pretty badass:

This was a fun game. The Rock ship's definitely a favourite along with Zoltan & Slug type A. New high score too!

I bought a scrap recovery arm early, and got gifted a second one in an encounter. Reaped the rewards, then sold them both at a store in sector 7. This is the first time (on normal) I've been able to max out every system & subsystem (not including cloak & drones, which I didn't buy), and still had a couple of hundred scrap left. Usually not even close. It was also the first time I dismissed a well-trained crewman more than halfway through the game - I ditched my mid-skilled human gunner when a second Zoltan offered to join, and to my amazement the new gunner got up to full skill before the end. I unlocked the Mantis ship on this run, so my second mantis dude there is the character from that encounter. As well as two away teams (2 rockmen, 2 mantises, all with max combat skill), I had a couple of weapons in reserve and so used a different set in the first two phases: pulse laser 1, pierce laser, breach bomb 2 and firebomb. So for example in phase 1, I started by sending the mantises into the missile pod, breach bombed the shields, firebomb & lasers on the cloak, then sent the rockmen to the cloak to stop repairs. Similar from then on, but I went for rapid hull smashing rather than fire in the last phase. I highly recommend killing all the crew (except the guy in the triple-laser pod) in phase 1, it makes life so much easier. Just don't break their O2

verbose douchebag
    3rd win with the Engi cruiser on Easy. Unlocked the slug ship. Awwww jaaaaaa.

The slug ship is weird and wonderful

Look at these plucky fellows.

I decided to make one extra jump before hitting a store - it turned out to be a sun, and it went very badly indeed. I jumped away and arrived at the store with at least two thirds of the ship on fire, and broke door controls. Fixing them took some doing, but I was finally able to vent out all the flames and patch the ship up. I'd already allowed myself a glimmer of hope with that great early weapon find, but after my whole crew getting through this nightmare by the skins of their teeths, I was adamant these guys would make it to the end and kick the shit out of that flagship. Four jumps later an auto scout knocked out their O2 and medbay, and seconds after destroying it they all space-drowned.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    ...broke door controls. Fixing them took some doing
    It looks like you have enough scrap to upgrade your doors one level. From what I've heard that would "fix" the doors and allow you to vent the ship but it's not something I've tried myself yet.

Sounds like a good mission. I love it when you manage to pull things back from the brink - even if you end up dead a few jumps later at least it feels like you've tried.

verbose douchebag
    I upgrade doors as soon as my dodge is at 30% and my shields are on 2. It really makes boarding and fires less of a PITA, especially in nebulae, as you can see where your intruders are by which door they are attacking. Also means that venting to kill or herd intruders becomes a much more viable strategy.
    Last edited by faetal; 9th Jan 2013 at 08:42.

Congrats, first win is pretty satisfying eh? Looks like you had an aggressive setup there, did you have the whole flagship on fire?
    Ja Most of it was on fire at the end, but it was by no means a pushover. Initially during stage 1, the crew were putting out fires as fast as I was starting them, eventually focused on taking out the engines. This meant my offense could aggressively target the shields due to the higher hit chance gleaned from taking their engines offline.

It just occurred to me that level 1 cloak + 1 power is a fair bit cheaper to buy than level 4 shields + 2 power, and cheaper to run, obviously. I've found that if you've got high evasion (engines 6+ and decent crew) and a good attack plan, then 3 shields will get you through the flagship battle on normal. The real danger will be the special 'power surge' attacks in phases 2 and 3. Level 4 shields certainly help here, but level 1 cloak would guarantee that you dodge the lot, and cools down quick enough to use every time.
    Absolutely, don't think I would have got through the power surge phase without cloak, and 3 shield was more than up to the job.

Well I've done a run with the bizarre Slug ship type B ... But the Rock cruiser type B is pretty badass
    Congrats, I've yet to obtain either! My latest run through was with the... Federation Cruiser? The thing with the artillery gun, anyway. Pretty powerful, but I was a casualty of the power surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    ...upgrade your doors one level. From what I've heard that would "fix" the doors and allow you to vent the ship but it's not something I've tried myself yet.
    Ah! Yes I'd read that too, and totally forgot. It is with great shame and regret I must tell you, my thoughts at the time were poorly composed and I believe I may have yelled swear words and "WE'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING BURN TO DEATH" at my monitor. Anyway... I read some other comments that saying the upgrade fix doesn't work, so I'm wondering if it's something that changed in an update. Either way, looks like we'll have to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I upgrade doors as soon as my dodge is at 30% and my shields are on 2. It really makes boarding and fires less of a PITA, especially in nebulae, as you can see where your intruders are by which door they are attacking. Also means that venting to kill or herd intruders becomes a much more viable strategy.
    Yeah, I've been treating med, O2 and subsystems as late-game luxuries, but a ship that starts with doors 2 (Zoltan?) made me reconsider. In fact I think that was my run with weak crew, so the doors were a godsend. After reading your comment, about halfway through my most recent run I made several cheap upgrades to lvl2 that I usually ignore until the end, and it was a big defensive boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Ja Most of it was on fire at the end, but it was by no means a pushover. Initially during stage 1, the crew were putting out fires as fast as I was starting them, eventually focused on taking out the engines. This meant my offense could aggressively target the shields due to the higher hit chance gleaned from taking their engines offline.
    This is interesting, I've seen lots of comments saying people target the engines to ruin the enemy's evasion (or stall their FTL jump), but I always go for the helm first. It usually seems weaker (I rarely get lvl3 sensors, so I'm just judging by hits) and easier to get to red, which = 0% evasion, if I've got it right. I suppose the downside is it can be repaired much quicker.

Well, I finally got to the end with the Mantis type A. It's a great starting ship, yet somehow I've found it waaaay harder than other runs with trickier ships. My previous attempts ended in sector 1, 1 and 3! Partly bad choices, partly bad luck, but this latest one was all down to some top-drawer stupidity on my part. Too tired to write it up now, but I've just experienced my best FTL story so far
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 9th Jan 2013 at 16:01.

I followed a tip I'd seen about boarder tactics, saying focus solely on defense. It worked brilliantly with the Mantis ship, I only upgraded weapon system by one point in the entire game, all the rest went heavily on shields and engines early, then faster teleporter and a few small upgrades to toughen the ship. I was also lucky to find a drone system, defense I and a drone arm fairly early, and having not worried about weapons I could easily afford them. Mantis A starts with 0 drones and I didn't gain many, so the recovery arm was ideal. With high shields and evasion and a defense drone I could use as often as I needed, I rarely had to worry about hull damage. I took the opportunity to train my guys up early on, and when I had teleporter 2 I sent my away teams into remote scouts which trained them up pretty quick too. Before long I had four mantis boarders and four systems crew, all fully skilled, and I'd added a boarding drone too. No horrendous bad luck, so this run went pretty well for the most part.

Then I decided to finish it last night after only getting a couple of hours sleep the night before, and discovered that tired brains are not good at FTL. First mistake, not stupid but complacent, pushing the risk-taking a little too far - I lost one mantis because I teleported him home too late. He was alive when I clicked the return and the animation played, but then there was a thud and a whimper, and he arrived in a dead heap on my transporter room floor, possibly with bits of rockman knuckle mingled in. He wasn't one of my original crew, he was Filip - so pleased to get away from his hick planet, he left his family to join my crew, I made him murder folk and smash their stuff up, and then I got him killed. Oops.

It's all endgame from here, so I'll put the lot in spoiler tags. If you've got to the endgame but not yet seen it all, I'd still think twice about reading all of this - don't want to spoil all the surprises

I lucked into rescuing a random rockman from a slave ship in my last battle in sector 7, then the brainwrongs really took over. Stupid thing no1: There was a store on the way to the flagship. I still had my two starting weapons, small bomb and basic laser, plus a breach missile and an ion bomb. Mantis has only 3 weapon slots, so I had to choose which I would use. The ion bomb had sat in reserve all along, I never found a use for it and should have sold it but now decided my small laser would be totally useless against the flagship and sold that instead. What an idiot. Especially since I'd already seen this video of a guy going up against the flagship with no hull damage weapons. I wasn't quite the same, I had one good hull damaging weapon (the breach missile), but I didn't have a huge amount of ammo. Why I thought an all-missile setup would be ok, I cannot explain. Anyway, off to phase one... the plan was to get away teams into three of the weapon pods as quickly as possible and take them out (leaving just the triple-laser guy alone), ignore the cloak, bomb the medbay and slaughter everyone else. It went fine. My ship came out ok, my crew kicked their arses and when they'd punched the flagship's innards til they could be punched no more, I brought them back and 2 or 3 missiles finished the job. Only the boarding drone was a let-down, it did kill a crewman but then went straight for the O2 room which would have been very bad, so I just powered it down.

Phase 2. Got the flagship's guns and drone control down fairly quickly and then set about breaking the other systems, but my dodging wasn't so lucky, I took a lot of hits from special attacks and ended up with hull in the red. Was also dismayed to see the flagship still had loads of hull left, and I was dangerously low on missiles. Finished this phase with only 3 left. Luckily there was still a repair station nearby, and it was right alongside the flagship's route. Had to go through a rebel battle on the way, but it was an easy boarding kill and netted me a ton of scrap. I was surprised how generous the repair was (right back up in the green) and now I had a few extra missiles and drone parts. Not many, but I was sure I had enough to finish phase 3.

Stupid thing no2: I forgot to spend any of that scrap. There was enough for a couple of small upgrades that would've soaked up some damage. Oh well. Stupid thing no3: I forgot phase three had Zoltan super-shields. (-_-) Nothing I could do but take them down with missiles. First one missed, I felt like crying. I tried throwing a boarding drone at it to see if it would take a point off, no such luck. I think it only took two hits from the breach missile, maybe three, but I had a few misses so by the time it was down I only had 2 shots left and I'd taken loads of hits. Only then could I teleport my guys in and take that triple launcher out. I sent the boarding drone over and he went straight for the O2 again, the shithead. Off! With everything but O2 and triple-laser down, the flagship still had loads of hull left, 2 missiles wouldn't do it. While I was trying to get my useless head around this, Stupid thing no4: the Zoltan shields came back online. I knew this happened, I'd seen it just once before but of course forgotten. My guys were still over there: two in the main body of the ship, two still in the missile pod, and you can't teleport through Zoltan shields. For a little while I thought I was screwed, but then it dawned on me there was (as far as I know) only one way forward. I suddenly remembered ion weapons do more damage to Zoltan shields and used my ion bomb - no chance of missing, thankfully, and it took off exactly half the bar. One more of those, Zoltan shield down and zero ammo for me. As quickly as teleporter timeouts would allow, I brought my two guys home from the missile pod, then sent one back to the missile pod and one into the still manned laser pod. For good measure, I also sent my now-pointless gunner over into the main ship to join the two guys there. A couple of seconds later the Zoltan shields came back up, and I knew there was no way to bring those crewmen back. When my mantis killed that last rebel gunner, the flagship went into AI-repair mode. I waited while the same mantis broke the gun; now everything was red except the O2. I gritted my teeth through special attacks, there was nothing more I could do back at my ship but keep on top of any fires & repairs. At last, all the flagship's systems went orange at once, and the away crew started breaking them again. Another point of hull damage for each one sent back to red. That didn't take too long, and both ships were still standing. Special attacks were still getting the odd scratch through, and there's a lot of downtime between AI repairs - I wondered if the boarders could pull this off before my ship was whittled away. But my luck was in for the last few dodges, and when the flagship's systems came back online, one more round of breakages was all that was needed. My Zoltan & Mantis had a race for the final point, who could take down the helm or shields quickest - I have no idea who won, whoever it was broke the ship apart from the inside. The only surviving member of the original crew was my Engi engineer, so he'd have to go back and explain to Filip's mum & dad.

by the way, this all took fucking ages.

Only the survivors get their names in the end credits, but those guys on the right, THEY'RE THE REAL HEROES! Not the boarding drone, he was a jerk.
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 11th Jan 2013 at 07:14.

Well, faetal being the awesome chap that he is decided to gift me the game so I guess I will be joining you guys on the Command Deck. Cheers sir, you are awesome

verbose douchebag
    No worries. This is a game that absolutely cries out for viral gifting. Especially at half price

Got to the final boss again, this time in a Kestrel B loaded to the gills- boarding team of two Mantises, a Crystal, Engi, Zoltan, two humans, and a Rock, Defense 2 and anti-ship drones, a weapon pre-igniter and that thing that gives 15% less cooldown, and a pretty much fully upgraded ship. Rocked the first stage... Then got wrecked by the second.

It's starting to look to me like this is a little more like other roguelikes in that if you don't have very specific gear by the final boss, you will lose. In this case it seems to be having some way to disable the drone control through shields, and a boarding team to deal with missiles.

verbose douchebag
    I don't bother with defence 2 any more. They are great for everything prior to the flagship, but for that you want defence 1 which only targets missiles and boarding drones. For the same reason, I never keep the beam drone - great for carving up low level ships once you get rid of shields, but they don't spend enough time packing punch for the flagship.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I don't bother with defence 2 any more. They are great for everything prior to the flagship, but for that you want defence 1 which only targets missiles and boarding drones.
    Yep, I agree. Defense II might be good for phase 3 but probably not necessary, great for the rest of the game but really sucks for phase 2. Have you tried 2 defense I drones against the flagship? Could keep you very safe for phase 2, if they work as I'd hope

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    ...Defense 2 and anti-ship drones, a weapon pre-igniter and that thing that gives 15% less cooldown, and a pretty much fully upgraded ship. Rocked the first stage... Then got wrecked by the second.

It's starting to look to me like this is a little more like other roguelikes in that if you don't have very specific gear by the final boss, you will lose. In this case it seems to be having some way to disable the drone control through shields, and a boarding team to deal with missiles.
    Shitty way to find out, but yeah I reckon defense II played a part in that. The pre-igniter is amazing, nice to pair it with the cooldown aug, if you'd had defense 1 I bet you'd have got through. It's not so much that you need very specific gear, but you need to be able to achieve specific goals. There's a lot more ways to do it than there might seem at first. So like you say, for boss phase 2 you need to deal with drone control darn quick, and/or have great defense against boarding drones. Lots of ways to do it, but with really shitty luck I'm sure you could end up here with literally no means to succeed. What I've found in the rest of the game on normal, is that many ships must have found or bought a new weapon by (or early in) sector 3 - that's when enemies get up to 3 shields, and some of the starting builds are incapable of progressing. I've had a few runs where no suitable weapons have appeared and that's game over.

verbose douchebag
    You don't need specific gear, you just need to be able to achieve specific things and there are many ways to do it.

Fantastically fun game.

Level 10,000 achieved

So near, yet so far

Hahahaohohohoooo alllmost! I almost had it!

Normal difficulty. Engi ship. Final boss. Final round. Almost.

My ship had maxed out shields and weapons, some good droids, and lots of people in it. It was like an episode of Full House except with Burst Lasers and Crew Teleporters instead of funny handgestures and heartwarming life lessons. I was as ready for the final showdown as I was ever gonna be.

Round 1:

The first stage went by relatively smoothly. Except for one small detail. When the Flagship's hull was down to zero and it teleported away my away-team was still on it. Fuck. FUCK. FUUUUUUUUUCK HOW THE HELL DID I MISS THAT.

Ok. It's ok. All is not lost. I still have great weapons and droids. I can still do this.

Round 2:

I barely survive. Luckily there's a repair station just a few jumps away and the Rebel Flagship needs 4 more jumps to get in range. Plenty of time. Except for one small detail. The repair station gets overtaken by Rebel forces just before I reach it. Fuck.

I'll have to face the Flagship with only 9 pieces of hull left.

Round 3:

They only have 3 guys left. Two of them teleport to my ship. I beat their asses down in the medbay, then send my Rockman and Human over there to repay the favor. Hate sending away my Weapons and Shield specialists but I have no other choice. My dudes immediately set about beating the pulp out of the last soldier on the Flagship, and for a moment it looks like things might work out after all. All I need to do is kill the guy before the last of my hull is gone... right? Nope. One small detail. After the soldier is dead I am informed that the ship's AI is taking over operations. The Flagship keeps right on pelting my ship with rockets.

Here's one I never would have thought of: avoid ion blasters knocking your shields out by switching shields off completely just as the ion weapon is about to strike!
    Cut shields after the enemy fires an ion weapon, wait a fraction of a second and re-power them when the blast is about halfway; your shields will be up quickly after you are hit to soak up any other incoming fire. Learn the timing to minimize the amount of time spent shieldless. It took many normal victories and most ship unlocks before I realized I should be doing this!

Level 10,000 achieved
    FTL: Advanced Edition

Free update coming early next year, featuring new systems, weapons, sectors and events! Also coming out: FTL for iPad!

I've taken up playing FTL again over the past few days actually. Had another run that ended with me dying on the last stage of the endboss. Never made much use of the Crew Teleporter before but now I'm learning what a powerful (and risky) tool it is. If you can take out the crew of an enemy ship and leave the ship intact your rewards will be greater than if you blow it up. On the other hand it's of course also extremely dangerous to send your guys over there. They might get killed, your teleporter system can get taken out so they can't come back, or the enemy ship might jump away or blow up before you have time to beam them back.

verbose douchebag
    Amazing

I've not played for a while as for some reason, whenever I try to exit the game, it freezes up requiring a hard reset.
    This sounds like a very cool set of features.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    [Also coming out: FTL for iPad!
    It'd be great if it comes out for Android too. I've always felt it would be suited for tablets as the ability to pause and direct the action removes the need for precise control and it's not a demanding game graphically.

Level 10,000 achieved
    They do address that question on the page.

But many of you might be asking “What about Android (or Surface, etc.)!?” For now, the answer is that we hope to get it on all tablet devices but do not know for sure. When we first released FTL, we did so on three operating systems simultaneously and it was a gargantuan task for a two man studio to accomplish. Learning from the difficulties of the past, we’re trying to preserve our sanity by focusing on one system at a time. Expanding tablet support will be our next highest priority, but we don’t want to make any promises (or rejections) until we’re 100% sure of the outcome.
    So maybe!

I'm guardedly optimistic about the iPad version. I was looking forward to the iPad version of Frozen Synapse too but that one turned out to be a bit too clunky to be enjoyable. Precise unit movement and the myriad of actions available proved to be too much for the pad. FTL is simple enough in it's interface and actions that it should be a good fit for tablets tho.

More Awesome for Free, can't wait!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast