TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FTL

Yay more FTL is always a good thing! I still play it occasionally even after 100+hours.

Level 10,000 achieved
    FTL HAS NOW GONE ADVANCED!

HARD MODE UNLOCKED!

A SHIP WITH LOTS OF POINTY BITS ADDED!

And a bunch of other updates here and there. Hovering the cursor over a beacon now displays all the other beacons within reach of that one, should help avoid those unfortunate moments when you jump to a beacon only to discover that you have nowhere to go from there. A hotkey for returning your crewmembers to their designated stations have also been added. As well as new weapons, races, events and a whole heap of stuff. All for the low-low price of NOTHING to existing FTL owners.

It's also out on iPad. 9 euros. Instabuy for me. Downloading now.

Played it on easy today with advanced features on. Got boarded three times, and the third boarding party blew my ship to pieces. At least the invaders went down with me. Good times!

verbose douchebag
    Wooohooooo - I can probably play this on my decrepit laptop too

Level 10,000 achieved

First impressions of iPad version

It's not as fluid as playing the PC version with mouse and keyboard, but not a clunky mess like the iPad version of Frozen Synapse either. Some of the controls are downright elegant, like how you can swipe up or down over a system to increase or decrease it's power, and the way you swipe over crewmembers to select several of them. It's... damn near as good as the PC version!

verbose douchebag
    Well, FTL is still great and I love some of the new features, especially saving the crew location and also the line-based weapons now lighting up rooms they'll affect so you can create maximum destruction

However, the game appears to be unstable on my crummy laptop and I get a CTD after about 10-20 minutes of play, so yeah, fuck :/

If any of you fatties don't have FTL, I suggest you rectify that situation RIGHT NOW.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    It's not as fluid as playing the PC version with mouse and keyboard, but not a clunky mess like the iPad version of Frozen Synapse either. Some of the controls are downright elegant, like how you can swipe up or down over a system to increase or decrease it's power, and the way you swipe over crewmembers to select several of them. It's... damn near as good as the PC version!
    I almost think it's better. There's just something about commandeering a space ship via touch controls that feels so fitting.

Though I'm still having the same amount of luck on the iPad as I did during the couple of games I played on the PC. I can get to the flagship easily enough, but I can't ever seem to beat it.

No Andoid version though, right?

I always thought FTL, with its fairly simple interface and graphics, might be one of the games that might actually work well on a phone / tablet.

In my opinion balance in AE is broken. The game became even more random. New equipment comes in handy practically only by rivals because they are too weak to be our major weapons ( no chance to defeat stronger enemies or final boss )and it is still not enough money ( normal ) to do bad/unnecessary shopping. Triumph of form over content
    Last edited by Holy_Wood; 5th Apr 2014 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    No Andoid version though, right?
    A quick search makes it look like you're right.

Moderator and Priest

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I almost think it's better. There's just something about commandeering a space ship via touch controls that feels so fitting.
    Yeah I do like the feel of it, but I can definitely get things done faster and easier with M+KB.

(venting mostly)

I've played FTL since it came out some time ago and I've just picked it up now (version 1.5.4 being the latest). Let me tell you, there is nothing more fucking pissing off then crashing to desktop whenever I want to travel to a node.

And there is nothing more that wants me to (hyperbole) kill the developers unborn children as crashing to desktop when reaching half way through the game then crashing no matter which sector you try to go to, thus rendering the game session completely unplayable and not winnable.

WHO THE FUCK released this shit in this state?

I don't even feel like restarting because fuck knows when it's going to happen again.

verbose douchebag
    Hmmm, maybe it's not just my shitty laptop then.

Haven't had a CTD yet. What you running?

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit / Intel / Nvidia 335.23 here.

I can't remember a single CTD/game lockup while playing either. Are either of you using mods or an older/unpatched OS?

In other news, the Rock C ship makes getting the Crystal Cruiser far easier. You start off with a Crystal crew member, which means you only have to get the 3rd unlock event instead of having to find and be lucky with the first two.

Also, the Vulcan Laser is kinda silly. Sure the power requirement is 4 and it only deals 1 damage, but once it gets started that's 1 shot every 1.1 seconds (faster with a gunner at the controls). It shreds just about any enemy on its own, even the recharging Super Shield on the last phase of the Rebel Flagship gets torn apart if you set the Vulcan to autofire (especially if targeting their Shield).

And for funsies, try Clone Bay + Teleporter + a random disposable couple.

Re-installed twice, so far haven't had any crashes and I've played around 20 rounds by now. I don't know... but I'll take it whichever way. I'm not using any mods and my pc is fine running the game. I was playing on hard where you get more hazardous nodes and such and the crashes DID seem to always start when encountering one of those (like asteroid fields and such).

The games fun, but hacking and some other stuff like the Vulcan seem a bit OP. But very very fun.

I haven't found a good use for the new crew type. Sure oxygen drain is nice for attacking and when dealing with fires, but it really doesn't go well with the other races.

All in all I think it needs a bit more tweaking in the balance department, but it's very very well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
    I haven't found a good use for the new crew type. Sure oxygen drain is nice for attacking and when dealing with fires, but it really doesn't go well with the other races.
    When playing a Lanius ship you basically open every door but the one where your non-Lanius crew member is hiding behind. Makes fighting fires and (non-drone) boarders a lot easier.

Or you could put a pair of Lanius in your teleporter and warp them over in the enemy O2 room. Since that's almost always a 1x2 room, the Lanius will drain the local oxygen very fast, making it much harder for your opponents to fight effectively in it. You'll fairly quickly destroy the equipment, choking the enemy ship to death (killing all enemy crew yields better rewards than blowing up the ship). This tactic does work best if you can either prevent the enemy from firing at you or evade/absorb all their hits. They do work best if you can either fill most/all positions (Red "Abandoned Sectors" seem to be the only places you can recruit them with any regularity) or if you have a teleporter.

But if you don't have a teleporter, I would not recommend picking them up unless you can buy multiple at a shop or your current ship has a manned room with direct access to space (and it's not in the path of your remaining crew).

Has anyone else noticed that if you have both mind control and a teleporter you can abduct enemy crew members and beat the crap out of them?

verbose douchebag
    Regarding my CTD situation, here are my laptop's vitals:

W7 enterprise, SP1 64-bit
    Processor: Core 2 duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB (no idea about speed)
    Video (probably the weakest link): Mobile Intel 4 series

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Regarding my CTD situation, here are my laptop's vitals:

W7 enterprise, SP1 64-bit
    Processor: Core 2 duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB (no idea about speed)
    Video (probably the weakest link): Mobile Intel 4 series
    Can't see much wrong with that. Sure, it's not awesome but it should be more than enough for FTL.

There are a couple of things I would think could cause CTD issues: Mods that are incompatible with each other, a missing/badly applied patch, out of date drivers or subtle hardware failure.

verbose douchebag
    I'm not using mods and it's Steam so should be up to date, which leaves me the last 2. Will update drivers and re-test.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I'm not using mods and it's Steam so should be up to date, which leaves me the last 2. Will update drivers and re-test.
    You should also try to run a verify of your install in Steam, I've had issues with games that resolved themselves after doing that.

verbose douchebag
    Well I updated my drivers and now it works fine. Which is great
    Enjoying the swarm weapons

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast