TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FTL

verbose douchebag
    Awwww yeeeaaaahhh, just completed a run through with the slug cruiser, which was never my favourite before. Did it slug style too - killed a load of crews with the bio beam for ramped salvage. Was well worth it in the end as the flagship was a cakewalk. Final loadout was:

Full shields
    Level 2 doors (with someone manning them made them level 3 - I think this is a new feature and I like it - makes the crew feel a lot less thumb twiddly)
    No sensors
    Level 5 or 6 engines (I forget, but had around 45% dodge)
    Level 2 cloak (very useful for the flagship and generally for avoiding missile & bombs)

Weapons: Dual laser, Chain ion (indispensible - lethal at full charge), bio beam, breach bomb II

Crew: 1 x Engi, 3 x Rock, 2 x slug, 1 x mantis, 1 x Zoltan

My flagship strategy was to use nothing except chain ion and breach II at shields and cloak whenever the missiles were incoming, once the shields were down a bit, I started targeting them with the dual laser and aiming breach at the med bay and the cloak alternating, while using the bio beam to whittle down the crew. If I'd been thinking more clearly, I'd have left one of the inner 2 gunners alive, rather than the beam gunner, since that part of the ship is lost after the 2nd wave. As it was, I was up against the AI rather than a lone gunner with no ability to repair, but it still went down easily

Great game. I'm loving the changes, particularly the aforementioned crew advantages for doors and sensors, but also the new weapons, systems and the ability to set and recall crew positions. I also like that you can get new crew members with skills already levelled. The only thing I'm not sold on yet is the new race. Their oxygen stealing capability is more of a hindrance than a help IMO.

Still I'd say that it's taken a 9/10 game experience and made it more varied, which just means more fun

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    My flagship strategy was to use nothing except chain ion and breach II at shields and cloak whenever the missiles were incoming, once the shields were down a bit, I started targeting them with the dual laser and aiming breach at the med bay and the cloak alternating, while using the bio beam to whittle down the crew. If I'd been thinking more clearly, I'd have left one of the inner 2 gunners alive, rather than the beam gunner, since that part of the ship is lost after the 2nd wave. As it was, I was up against the AI rather than a lone gunner with no ability to repair, but it still went down easily
    The one you want left alive is the inner left one, ie. tripple laser. The inner right is the tripple missile station, you want that guy dead asap and then the weapon pod broken every time the flagship jumps. Those missiles are one of the main sources of damage in the flagship fight, both directly due to chewing up hull & systems and indirectly due to shutting down vital systems and hurting crew.

verbose douchebag
    Yeah, in hindsight, that's what I'd do. I am no fan of missiles.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    If I'd been thinking more clearly, I'd have left one of the inner 2 gunners alive
    Ooh, never though of that tactic before.

FTL has become my go-to iPad game lately for whenever I've got a few minutes to kill. On my second run now. The first one ended in the last sector with me and a Rebel ship blowing up eachother at the same time. Never had that happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ooh, never though of that tactic before.

FTL has become my go-to iPad game lately for whenever I've got a few minutes to kill. On my second run now. The first one ended in the last sector with me and a Rebel ship blowing up eachother at the same time. Never had that happen before.
    I haven't had it happen myself, but I've heard of others who had that happen on the last phase of the flagship. It apparently does not count as a win.

Did anyone like FTL : Advanced Edition ?

Sending Drones and Boarding Ships is one main way of winning. There's three technologies I like to use :

-Laser that starts fire.

-Laser that makes cracks (Breach).

-Defensive robots (it saved my crew a few times).

Tricks :

Explore the area before the map gets covered by red.

Upgrade Medi-Bay to save your Crew.

Use Missiles as last resort. They sell well for scrap.

Save scrap when unsure. Upgrading your Power Station might be a good idea.

Use Drones to destroy the bombs. It costs like 15 scrap but saves hull damage.

I got to the boss following my strategy.

verbose douchebag
    I agree. I also like to eat the bacon. That Nicole Kidman is a dish. What about this weather.

After over a hundred hours and numerous close calls I still havent bloody well beaten this game yet

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    After over a hundred hours and numerous close calls I still havent bloody well beaten this game yet
    Seriously? Are you somehow gimping yourself? The game isn't that hard. If you take the Torus into Easy, it's really, well, easy. And you must have the Torus if you've made a close call. If that's too difficult, have you unlocked the Zoltan ship? I beat Hard in that bruiser.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alright quit bragging about how great you are at FTL, Pyrian. Easy definitely isn't easy, much less really easy.

Alright quit bragging about how great you are at FTL, Pyrian.
    I'm not. I genuinely do not understand how someone can sink 100 hours into FTL without winning it. That's, what? 25 games, maybe?

Easy definitely isn't easy, much less really easy.
    Losing with the Torus (or Red-Tail, or Adjudicator) on Easy difficulty should be a rare event. Something's going horribly wrong, here.

Haha way more than 25 games! I have everything unlocked except the crystal cruiser, most of the ship types as well. This mainly being the fact my son has beaten the game about 3 times. I dunno what it is, I guess I just suck. I mean I can get to the final sector easily enough, with decent weapons and upgrades, but everything just seems to go downhill when I fight the final battle.
    Still love the game though, sometimes its the journey not the destination you know?

VICTORY WILL BE MINE ONE DAY DAMN YOU

edit - after consultation with the fruit of my loins, he puts it down to the fact I dont use pause during battles, and tend to make bad decisions in the heat of combat. So theres that.
    Last edited by PigLick; 7th Aug 2014 at 04:51.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I guess being good at FTL is something he's gotten from his mother's side.

well she is a lot smarter than me.
    Hard to believe I know.

edit - after consultation with the fruit of my loins, he puts it down to the fact I dont use pause during battles, and tend to make bad decisions in the heat of combat. So theres that.
    I can see how that playstyle would kinda cause some issues in tougher fights.

Always open up with Pause when combat starts. Always pause when you feel things get tough. The space-bar is your friend and friends need attention.

I kind of figured you must not be using Pause. I can respect that, though. I mean, the game is clearly designed for tactical pausing; you're allowed the full scope of order-giving, for example. Not pausing makes combining weapons and boarding actions (offense and/or defense) very difficult.

Further, the Easy flagship is, as far as I can tell, exactly the same as the Normal flagship. You should get a bit more scrap before you reach it, of course, but it's no cake walk once you're there.

Which brings us back to the Torus. One nice thing about the Torus is that it's kind of a autofire-and-forget ship. Autofire your Ion Blast II at their shields and throw up your combat drone (unless they have an anti-combat drone), and you can just concentrate on defense until they die. Even the flagship will eventually croak under the Torus' starting weapons! Add another ion weapon, a beam weapon, and a beam drone, and the flagship disintegrates so fast you can't afford to try any boarding actions.

I'll try that, havent really used the Torus much tbh.

Hey I only just beat it last month. I know your pain!

It's a roguelike (in a smaller scope perhaps) so it's easy to see why might not make it through. The game itself is quite harsh starting from the fact that you must start again, if you die.

Still Subjective
    Oh man, I've been playing some FTL Advanced Edition and this is some bulllllllllsshiiii

It seems the game scales to your power. That's some nasty nonsense. I struggle to get some good weaponry and when I do early on (by not spending anything on anything else and getting to a Store) I start facing OP ships. How disappointing. Yes, you could say it's trying to keep it fun, but it isn't if I just get tanked on world 2 because I'm seeing ships I never even saw in the pre-final world. Like 4 shields, hacking and 2 drones. Ack!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456