TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FTL

Level 10,000 achieved

FTL

It's pretty fantastic. And difficult. Has anyone gotten to the point where they can consistently beat the game? I say "consistently" because to me it looks like luck plays a big part in success or failure. I've played about 8 runs over 4 hours now, Normal difficulty, and the furthest I've gotten is sector 5 (out of 8). Most of my runs end when I come up against a ship that's way more powerful and well-equipped than mine. There's no way of knowing what waits beyond a jump and, it seems to me, that around sector 4 or 5, there's going to be roughly a 10% chance that the next jump you make will lead you into a deathtrap with no chance of escape. A bit frustrating how it eventually turns into a game of luck, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking? I'm still having too much fun banging my head against the wall to look up wikis and walkthroughs, but if any FTL veterans wanna share some tips (in spoiler tags) I'd be all ears.

One time I got to Sector 4 and saw a straight shot of green-dot friendly systems the entire way and I thought *finally* I'll make it to Sector 5... And I died at the end of Sector 4 anyway. =L

I've been reading that drones are powerful & a lot more cost efficient than missiles, so it's worth saving up to install the system early on. I think especially because I lose a lot of money repairing my ship, a repair drone would free up all of that to spend on weapons and upgrades.

Hooray, someone made a thread about FTL. I was going to but for various reasons, never got round to it. Spent around 9 hours on it so far.

These aren't really spoilers. Firstly I would say: Play on easy. Think of Normal as Hard and Easy as Normal.

I did have reservations about this as I mentioned in another thread, but easy is still damn hard. I've come tantalisingly close to beating the game on easy, reaching the final sector (but not defeating the boss). It's definitely not a walk in the park though.

Secondly I would say: Spend some time in the easier first sectors trying to build up your armaments, crew and defenses.

Once you've got some half decent shields you can mop up the first sector encounters and build up your scrap reserves to buy more weapons. Sometimes, it all goes pear shaped but overall you'll be much better equipped to face the later sectors, where you really need at least 3 weapons and a number of extra crew if you want to stand any chance at repelling intruders.

Lastly: Learn the strengths and weaknesses of your crew. If you're boarded by Mantis and you send your Engi to fight them, he's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    I've been reading that drones are powerful & a lot more cost efficient than missiles
    I haven't really played around with drones much, but I do know that whenever I run out of missiles I end up being pretty screwed, so I think I may explore this avenue too. ( I guess you can still run out of drone controllers but I always seem to end up with dozens)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I've been reading that drones are powerful & a lot more cost efficient than missiles, so it's worth saving up to install the system early on.
    Actually when you make it to Sector 5 you unlock the Engi ship, which has drones by default, but no missile launchers. Only made 1 run with the Engi ship, and the combination of Ion Blaster and Drone was working beautifully for the first 2 sectors, but finally I ended up facing a very powerful enemy who kept taking out my drone-controlroom as soon as I'd sent a drone out. After sending out half a dozen drones in a loosing battle I blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Spend some time in the easier first sectors trying to build up your armaments, crew and defenses.
    In my first few runs I did linger around the early sectors as long as I could but then I started running out of fuel and missiles already in sector 3 or 4, so I figured bee-lining for the exit to conserve resources might be the key. That didn't work either as I ended up being too underpowered for the later enemies. Hmm... maybe threading a fine middleline might be the way to go. And also conserving missiles and drones in the early battles unless I absolutely have to use them?

Haha this fucking game.

I think I will switch to Easy, yeah.

Administrator
    Completely agree about playing on easy (at least to start with). Normally it'd feel cheap but with the game having a large amount of luck involved it helps skew things in your favour.

I've been up against the final fight a few times but not won yet. You definitely want to take your time on the early stages and not just rush for the exit on each sector. I personally like to invest for a second level of shields as quickly as possible but it does take quite a bit of scrap.

Probably obvious but always keep your main systems manned by the same people to build up their skills, particularly engines as evade / dodge can be very helpful. You also don't need to have your med bay powered all the time so de-power it and allocate the energy elsewhere until you need it. (hint: fighting boarders in the med bay if you can encourage them there tends to work in your favour)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Probably obvious but always keep your main systems manned by the same people to build up their skills
    First noticed that on this run actually, that the crew levels up.

Anyway I'm on my first Easy run and I'm feeling like A GOLDEN GOD! Just jumped into sector 7, and my Engi Spaceship has maxed out shields, two lazorguns (plus some kind of Healthgun that I haven't tried yet) and more drones than you can shake a stick at(three!). Plus enough batterylife to keep most of the neccessary offensive and defensive systems running without breaking a sweat.

Ah alright. I'm gonna get back to it. Just needed to take a break to cool my nerves and clear my head. Hopefully I'll make it to the endboss.

edit: NOPE!

Made it to the Flagship. I even had my Reactor maxed out before the encounter but it wasn't enough. Only managed to sneak in one good hit on it in a brief gap when it's shields were down. Next time, I'm gonna make sure I have capacity to have 3 drones active at once before I meet it. One for defending, two for attacking.

Score: 2731
    Last edited by henke; 9th Dec 2012 at 10:21.

Level 10,000 achieved

S'up.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    S'up.
    Congrats!

Now what are your hints?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man. A lot of it felt like luck actually. Coming into possession of a Level 3 Laser Blaster or whatever it was called, having so much scrap at the end I hardly knew what to do with it, ending up with SIX crewmembers before the end.

-Keeping a quite diverse crew is a good idea because their unique abilities sometimes gives your extra options when it comes to communicating with and helping people you meet out in space.

-The Engi ship is really good. The combination of Ion Blaster and Anti-Ship Drone is very effective early on while you find a good secondary weapon. Before the bossfight, make sure to have 2 offensive drones and 1 that either repairs your hull or defends from incoming missiles/lasers.

-If you have the choice, go for laser guns instead of missile launchers so you won't have to worry about ammo running out.

-Before spending any scrap upgrading your ship, always check the jump-screen to see if a Store is in range. Often that scrap is better spent on repairs and supplies than upgrades.

-Don't forget to use the doors! If a fire breaks out in a room you currently don't have a crewmember in, it's often better to open a path of doors to outer space than to have a crewmember leave his post to go put out the fire.

-Also, I picked every fight I could along the way, took no prisoners, and played every dirty trick I could think of. The fate of the Federation is at stake here so I figure the ends justify the means.

I also had Cloak by the end but I ended up hardly using it. Draws too much power away from other systems, and keeps that power locked down while it recharges, so it doesn't seem very useful.
    Last edited by henke; 10th Dec 2012 at 15:20.

I also had Cloak by the end but I ended up hardly using it. Draws too much power away from other systems, and keeps that power locked down while it recharges, so it doesn't seem very useful.
    Cloak prevents the enemy from locking on to you while it is active. If you use it at the beginning of a battle, it will take that much longer before they can fire their first salvo. It also increases Dodge while in effect, which is useful if your enemy has already fired a salvo or against the special attacks from the flagship.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I know, it's the cooldown period afterwards, when you can't use the powerbars you've used for the cloaking that I don't like. It seems like it might hurt you about as much as the cloaking helps you, canceling out the total effect. Feels like using those 2 or 3 powerbars to power your weapons or a drone instead might be a better use of them. But then again I guess that depends on what kind of a ship you're flying.

Level 10,000 achieved
    After I beat the game earlier tonight the Steam counter said "12 hours played". Seeing as I bought the game on Saturday night that means that since buying FTL I've spent a quarter of my time playing FTL? Sounds about right. Would probably keep playing if I didn't have work tomorrow. I don't think a game has grabbed hold of me like this since Dark Souls and Frozen Synapse did last year. FTL might've just nabbed my GOTY away from Mark of the Ninja, TWD, or whatever the hell else I was gonna give it to. Gotta hit the hay now.

Hahahaha cheers!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    WHAT

WHAT IS THIS

WHAT IS GOING ON

I AM SO CONFUSED

I believe the equation works like FTL -> Fuck the Law -> El-P -> The Full Retard ->

Henke, can't help but notice that the rebel flagship I encountered [<- potential spoiler] is a lot more badass (4x missile weapons + drones) than the one you did....

Random weapon mounts on the flagship, it seems.

An amazing game. I do hope they will keep adding content and lots of it, because this one might have quite a big lifespan if they do. I've only got to the Flagship a few times and the only time I would have had a chance i was too greedy and it got to the Fed base before I attacked it. I've only played it on "normal" and I like how hard it is. It is, after all, hailed as a "roguelike-like", thus it should be brutal.

Handy tips:
    - Pick your fights: you don't have to fight, you can always jump away. Best way to collect scrap etc. is to find events and safe jump points. Having scanners that reveal info about jump points is really crucial.
    - If you get invaded: always try to force the fight in med bay. If nothing else helps, you can open all doors except the med bay, which makes any invaders head there. If you're under heavy fire, you might want to be careful with that, because doing this strategy and then getting your oxygen systems blasted apart is death.
    - Crew teleporter: Currently the "easiest" way to play I'd feel. If you are lucky enough to get 1-2 extra crew members (anything but engi good for this purpose) you should go for the crew teleporter. Invading the other ship is a great way to bypass everything and attack systems straightly. Also, if you kill their whole crew, the ship stays intact and you get more loot. There's caveats: having the enemy ship blow up/jump away while your crew is on board is ragequit material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post
    Henke, can't help but notice that the rebel flagship I encountered [<- potential spoiler] is a lot more badass (4x missile weapons + drones) than the one you did....

Random weapon mounts on the flagship, it seems.
    As far as I am aware, the flagship has the same weapons every time: one triple missile launcher, one triple ion cannon, one triple laser cannon, and one cutting beam. As you beat it up, sections of the flagship are blasted off. But it gets new crazy abilities in later encounters to compensate.

Level 10,000 achieved
    First off, when/if you manage to make it to the last sector HEAD STRAIGHT for the Flagship. You're going to want that thing at least 3 jumps away from reaching the base when you start fighting it. Just trust me on this one.

Second, great tips about the medbay and teleporter Kuuso! I haven't even tried out the teleporter yet, seemed a bit risky, but it sounds like a good tactic the way you describe it.

Thirdly, congrats on making it to the Flagship Ulu! About the Flagship's configuration... eh, I don't wanna spoil things by saying too much. I'll just say that there's more to that last fight than it initially seems.

Oh, another handy tip that hasn't been mentioned yet: Just because you can set weapons to Autofire and then leave them to it doesn't mean that that's the most effective way of attacking. Especially if I only have 1 weapon I'll start out by having it target the shields of a ship, then once it's taken down those temporarily, switch targeting to weapons-systems for one shot, then back to shields. Then just back and forth, back and forth... keeping both the shields and weapons from coming back online while whittling away it's hull. (remember that you can use Hotkeys for selecting and powering up weapons)

Also if you have a good weapon that only works when the target's shields are down you can clicking it once to charge it up, then just hover the cursor over the target but don't click until your other weapons/drones take down the shields momentarily, leaving you a window of opportunity to attack.
    Last edited by henke; 11th Dec 2012 at 14:37.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I JUST BULLSHITTED MY WAY INTO POSSESSION OF A ZOLTAN CRUISER WHOOOOOOO :U

back to the game!

Shit, the endgame is nasty, even on Easy. I was trying to be smart, teleporting and killing every crew member on the flagship, but guess what - the ship detects that and switches to auto-pilot constant-repair mode! I guess you'd need to leave at least one crew member alive, so that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Shit, the endgame is nasty, even on Easy. I was trying to be smart, teleporting and killing every crew member on the flagship, but guess what - the ship detects that and switches to auto-pilot constant-repair mode! I guess you'd need to leave at least one crew member alive, so that doesn't happen.
    And even if you do leave one guy on the ship, make sure he's not stationed in one of the parts that break off.

Level 10,000 achieved
    HENKES LOG STARDATE 141212

Doing my first run in the Zoltan Cruiser. Things started off terribly when my first jump led me into a fight with a drone that left me with half my hull gone. However, I pressed on and managed to turn things around. By the end of sector 2 my ship was in tip-top shape, my crew was leveled up a good bit, and I had made some good upgrades on my ship. I had a very effective weapons combination of Halberd Beam and Leto missilelauncher. Things were going fine until around sector 4 when I ran out of missiles. My Beam weapon can't penetrate more than 1 shield and every enemy I come across has 2 or more shields. Luckily my engines are well upgraded so I can evade and power up the FTL fast enough to make the jump before things get too hairy, but that tactic isn't going to work forever. The enemies are only gonna get tougher and without proper weaponry getting resources is tricky. I'm saving up whatever scrap I can find to buy a better lasergun if I happen to come across a store, but things are looking bleak.

edit: yup. yup. Why do I even bother? WHY DO I PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME!? Why do I put myself through this

edit2: because it's brilliant
    Last edited by henke; 14th Dec 2012 at 15:44.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast