TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHILL!

CHILL!

They said that they had a lot of freedom in design choices, but they constrained themselves to keep the game a Thief experience. They know it's a PC game and they didn't want to annoy the PC fans, but they also wanted to make the game appealing to the other gamers too. They think you'll like how the camera reacts. They said the playground is really big. They admitted that they went a bit too far in looking at other games for stealth inspiration, but they saw that a simple stealth game mechanic can do a lot with simple tools.

Personally, it looks like they are trying really hard to make it awesome. It doesn't look to me like they have any intention of taking the soul away from Thief. I wouldn't worry about them turning Thief into some other game. And they are pushing the date even further back.. means they really want to make sure the game is done right. Usually, if publishers want to just cash in on a title, they push the developer to rush it out the door and blow the money they would have spent on development, on advertising.. which is the exact opposite of what this developer is doing.

I'm sure it will kick ass, so relax! You've worried enough out loud on these forums, give yourselves a break and just look forward to the awesome game you've been waiting years for! Or forget it exists.. then, when it's out, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Let the developers work - give them some respect, they are working HARD for you!

I mean, do you *really* think they'd be busting their asses for so long to deliver crap to the hardcore fans?

If I'm wrong, I will eat these words, I promise, but, dudes, some people get way too twisted out of shape over a game! Yeah, I love Thief too, been playing it for 10+ years, man, and I'm not easy to please - Thief fans are a difficult bunch to satisfy, I know I am. But you can't just go and criticize and hate and all that.. You all have something in common - you love to hide in the dark and steal **** from rich bastards, getting into trouble being backstabbed by shady characters (metaphorically speaking; not talking about Garrett.. that would attract too much attention), and going through some thickly enriched and atmospherically engaging environments, laughing at stupid guards behind their backs, eavesdropping on key NPCs, finding new places to sneak, etc... If it sucks so bad that it lacks any of the spirit and soul of the other Thief games, then I'm sure there will be an uprising of Thief fans, and EIDOS will burn it into their memory not to mess with us 'effing taffers (Worst thing that could happen is they actualy stop caring about the original fans).

The series has to evolve somehow. If you just want a graphical upgrade to Thief 1 and 2, then..... HOLY **** WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT? :rasp: Ok, that would be really fekkin' cool - really lookin' forward to that one...

Seriously, it's a load on their shoulders to make this game (is an understatement), I'm sure they won't risk pissing off the hardcore fans on purpose by stealing the Thief name and filling it with hollow glitz.

But come on! They've only released a few screens and really short clips.. not enough to judge a whole game on! (I'm only going to make this one post for now and will not reply to it, so don't bother trolling if you think I'm giving the developers an excuse to laze around - but if you think game developers are lazy about their passion, then go get a job! :nut

Besides, I bet with today's hardware specs, you can count on not having to load a new map every ten feet - Thief fans should be pissing their pants with all the goodies in this game, given the amount of time the developers are spending on it.

Of course, if any fans (or developers) with the time and resources are planning on making a serious throwback, converting the old Thief missions to a new engine architecture (or something of that nature), let me know, and I'll play it over any sequel! (I hear crowdfunding is a very effective way to power a project backed by a 'movement'. - get the old LGS staff back together, whoever has the time and is interested, of courssssse...)

No.

ANY EXCUSE

NB There are a few graphical updates for the first two games - various texture packs, and a pretty amazing fan-made (not by someone here) patch that does all sorts of engine whiz-bangery. Checkout the main ThiefGen forum.
    Last edited by nickie; 18th Mar 2013 at 13:51. Reason: important typo

Hey XrgklmplshdfX - all the arguments you presented could have been said about Deadly Shadows (even more so, as there was at least some LGS pedigree there), and look how that turned out. I'm optimistic too, but at the same time pretty skeptical. It's just the way things work now with big AAA titles and huge corporate game developers.

Tbh, if there was an indie stealth/Thief type project going on, maybe via Kickstarter or something, I'd actually feel a lot more confident it would end up like a true Thief game. TDM is probably the closest we'll see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Tbh, if there was an indie stealth/Thief type project going on, maybe via Kickstarter or something, I'd actually feel a lot more confident it would end up like a true Thief game. TDM is probably the closest we'll see to that.
    True that. The thiefiest experience I've had lately was with Amnesia.

Quote Originally Posted by XyphrX View Post
    I mean, do you *really* think they'd be busting their asses for so long to deliver crap to the hardcore fans?
    No, I think they are busting their asses to deliver a game to the modern gamer. Whether it's also suitable for me remains yet to be seen.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Hey XrgklmplshdfX - all the arguments you presented could have been said about Deadly Shadows (even more so, as there was at least some LGS pedigree there), and look how that turned out.
    Not too badly, actually, all things considered.

(But also the industry then is not the same industry now.)

BANNED
    I was attracted to the thread title. CHILL is the way to go.

jtr7
    Translation: "Keep your disappointment about things to yourself unless I agree."

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Not too badly, actually, all things considered.
    Sure, that represents the noobish newly found the series attitude. But for the hardcore fans of Thief Dark Project, Deadly Shadow borked so many key elements not only in concept but also application in some instances (broken difficulties), it almost seemed as if they were trying to insult us in their attempt to "reach new fans".

Moderator and Priest
    Thief 3 wasn't an entirely new game designed to appeal to an entirely new audience. It was basically Thief 1 & 2 with some bad design decisions.

You know, thanks to the last conversation I had with you, Goldmoon, I'm starting to realize that some of you here don't have high standards so much as you all like being victims.

Jesus, put a sock in it would you Goldmoon? Reading your posts trying to build a wall between the 'true hardcore' or whatever people (which is what, you?) and basically everybody else is seriously bumming me out at the moment. I like TDS. It wasn't quite in the same league, but it was mostly good and occasionally excellent. Don't try and push some tautological crap in my ear about how I can't be a 'real' Thief fan (like that is a thing to be even worried about) because I have that opinion. Sheesh.

okay, its time to play lets get "personal". Look, boo hoo, I dont care. I dont care what I am missing. I watch a game on youtube. That is by far enough to know if I would like to buy the damn thing! This isnt 1989 you know, where you read about a game in your favorite magazine then patiently and obediently wait for its arrival. No, now we have the unwashed masses themselves dictating from the day of first announcement every aspect of what the game should be. Whatever dude, I dont know why you feel that if you just gave me one more suggestion then I would finally see your brilliant point and that I was wrong all along for not understanding that your choice was right for me. If you want to talk about the madness and mayhem of Dark Project fanatacism, come to me, because that is what I am offering. If you dont, then please, stop acting like I am a victim of something. I am basically giving away the secrets of the inner sanctum, albeit cryptically, and have always enjoyed peoples interpretations of The Dark Project.

Inner sanctum?

Yes, the INNER SANCTUM. You know... Ultima? Wizardry? Might and Magic? Thief?

jtr7
    When I see expert, hardcore console ("and" PC, not "or" PC) gamers, who can play an instrument well, struggling to move their characters around, I know I'm going to be fighting the controls and getting all tangled up in my mind.

Man, these last posts sure are comedy gold.

What secrets of the inner sanctum? What secrets are you giving away cryptically? I mean, you have to understand - to an uneducated lay person such as myself, it sounds mostly like you're talking self-congratulatory gibberish. Do I take the first letter of each sentence and re-arrange them or something?

jtr7
    I know, right, skacky? Someone's having fun, even if they don't know what's happening.

I definitely don't know what's happening. It's like being riddled by Rab C Nesbitt.

BANNED
    Never watched that show, but I can imagine.

The problem with Thief DS was (apart from the annoying city hub thing) its replayability. It had some pretty decent missions, easily comparable to 1+2, but when I went back to play it a second time, the annoying things stuck out even more, and there was no compulsion to play it. Unlike Thief 1+2 which I have replayed numerous times.

At first I was as overprotective of this franchise as many of you. I hissed and spat at all the new Thief info and screens.

But then, I looked at them again, read it all again. Looked at the new Garrett again. And realised 'Hey, this actually looks good.'

And now I CAN'T WAIT!

Just let off some steam guys, replay the old ones and have some fun (I did http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HLn_Ngr2wv8).

Wether the end result is crap or amazing, we wont know until its here. I for one am hopeful!

jtr7
    99% of us are hissing at some things and cheering at others. We just need one certain people to notice, and chill the hell out, hahahaha!

While I'm happy to see that I might actually get to navigate over terrain I've been looking forward to for over ten years, I'm much less interested in the detailed vistas than how the game plays, including the feedback the game gives me and how it tells me what I need to know. Eye-candy had better be far down on the list of EM's priorities, since they are making a game.

There are plenty of things that will tell some of us an element is crap or not without playing it first.

About the eye-candy and vistas: I wouldn't mind, if navigation atop rooftops with beautiful city views (hopefully in a morbid and bleak way of course) is given some priority. In Thief 2, Angelwatch was . . . awesome precisely for that reason. This could have been in Thief: Deadly Shadows, but sadly it's biggest problem was too small maps due to memory limitations (then-gen consoles I presume).
    Last edited by nickie; 20th Mar 2013 at 06:57. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    There are plenty of things that will tell some of us an element is crap or not without playing it first.
    Prejudice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast