TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - NewDark 64 Cubed Contest: Way Home

In the Alchemist's room upstairs.

I just finished this and though it was a bit difficult to figure out what to do at times, it packs a lot of play into a very small space. It also has a rather creative storyline and I enjoyed it very much!

Hi I'm playing on hard, and thought I found the way to the top floor (the one above the glass ceiling) after reading a post in this thread. I climbed a rope that brought me into a little girl's room. There is a door there which none of my keys open and I haven't found a switch. Do I need to find a key or a switch somewhere? I think I'm supposed to find the alchemists key, but only found the alchemist so far.

On Hard you can find a staircase key on the edge of the bathtub on the ground floor.
    In the room of the girl you have two choices: A key on the mirror. Or a switch next to the window behind the Jolly Roger.

Okay, will look for those - thank you

All difficulties.

I see there's an objective to "Find out who lives here." It's apparently triggered by a room brush, but it never showed up in my objectives list. Is it a dead goal?

If I remember correctly, this is only an objective in Normal (and not in Hard or Expert).

Yup, you're right. The old gears need some oil.

Hello.

First of all: Thank you for all your congratulations and those nice comments! It's nice that you had fun playing my mission. Indeed it was fun creating it, too.

And I want to comment some of the comments/posts, if you are interested in:

- The mission was too much like a key/switch/book hunt.
    Well, I should had mentioned this in the readme. On Expert it was, yes. On Hard it was not (ok, except two keys). I just wanted to try such a mission. It is my second release, so I am still experimenting with many things.

- The story feels incomplete. // It is like the author had not enough time to finish it.
    Hm, I can understand, that it feels like this. The story is kind of incomplete - and this is why Garrett will be inclined to return at a future date. If a story is in my mind, I am not able to change it, sorry. That is not a matter of time, that is a matter of the aliveness of the story. (Well, perhaps I am strange on that score... but it would be unfair to cute Alice to solve this "problem" too... trivial.)
    Indeed Garrett was on his way home. He was very exhausted, but he was too curious to ignore this house, this opportunity. But on the other hand there is no solution for Alice and the mirror - yet. The player and Garrett are not able to do anything about that; also I know this is unsatisfactory for the player.
    By the way, Alice's sister is only unconscious, not dead (yet).

- I would have liked some new textures.
    There are nice textures out there, I think. But I have two (equal) reasons I do not use them. Firstly I really like the old textures. They feel kind of nostalgic. Secondly I am physically not really able to use them. OK, to be exact, it is too hard (and sometimes also impossible) for me to choose some. If the canon texture pack will be released one day, I think I will use it.

That's it. Thanks again, and thank you, Brethren and FireMage, for this contest. It was the first contest I ever witnessed, and it was fun.

By the way, you can play my mission with the enhanced textures and objects included in the Tafferpatcher.

I'm playing on normal. I can't get upstairs. I have moved tomb and found door, but it will not open. What do I do next?

Search the shelving units. But you can't get upstairs on Normal.

Ok, thanks.

Ghost
    I am so stuck, I'm about ready to just pack it in. I've spent about an hour (real time) crawling around the landing with the cupboard and the snake-shaped stairway, and I cannot find the switch to move the cupboard; I saw it move when I came in from the hallway, so I know it moves. (Playing on Expert.)

I can't go any further along the ground-floor hallway than the bathroom, because of windows and glass doors and AIs constantly staring at me. I don't know if the cupboard will get me anywhere, but at least it's something to try.

Please, no pms; just use spoilers, so others may follow: Where is the dang switch?

Thanks,

Dafydd

Crawling about might not be your best bet. Try standing up and having a look at the window frames, specifically the one at the top of the stairs.

Ghost
    Um... interesting: A weird girl gazing into a mirror; if I get too close, she kills me. A few readables about how to torment a little sister. Can't exit the bedroom door -- locked, no key, unpickable. Outside the secret room, everything is exactly the same. Where does this get me?

I've explored the study (the room next to the Red Room/mirror room), found Alice's Book, found a switch I can see but not frob, and a door I can halfway pick. I can't get the Dream Key (atop the mirror) without alerting the little-girl Haunt... if she can't kill me (i.e., I jump on the rope), then she runs out into the corridor and drags back some guards to hunt for me. Thereafter, some hysteric keeps screaming "Help, there's an armed man in here!" forever. But none of this gets me any farther in these bright-lit and heavily patrolled corridors.

Still stuck, I suppose. What am I missing?

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 1st Jun 2013 at 06:10.

You can get close enough behind her to get something useful near her. The door doesn't unlock but you can find a way to open the can't-remember-what-it-is stone block which will get you next door.

Edit. Well I was able to walk up behind her and get the Dream key without alerting her.. So I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.

There's a lightswitch in the corridor but I'm afraid I can't remember exactly where it is. I'm not a ghoster myself but I think it was ghosted in testing.

Ghost
    It seems strange, but I was able to get right behind the girl-haunt, stand up, and lean all the way forward without alerting her; this allowed me to grab the Dream Key. Yeesh.

Dafydd

Last edited by Ricebug; 4th Jan 2014 at 19:16.

Ricebug,
    there is a little error in your loot list:
    [Basement] There is second Crystal in the South storage room, inside crate, NE corner (25);
    and [Ground Floor] the LC Gem at the Corner table, living room is there only on Normal (Normal has 1001 loot total).

Dafydd,
    you wrote something about a door, you can halfway pick. I assume you do not have both lockpicks? If you want to have an advice I would suggest you to check the very small room in the basement (with the french door) again.

Ghost
    Oh, I found the other lockpick, Notesthes. I was able to finish several of the objectives. (Sweet sister, finding Alice's sister, learning about the mirror; still need to learn about the alchemist and get about 300 more loot.)

But I still have a problem: I'm able to get around the basement fairly easily, as well as the second floor (by which I mean two floors above the basement). But I cannot get anywhere in the first floor/ground floor without running into guards: The corridors are brightly lit; from the top of the snake-shaped stairway, I cannot see any switches to turn off the lights; and the guard patrols are everywhere!

Also, I cannot go onto the clear glass floor on the second floor, because the guards below me spot me almost immediately as they wander through the cross-corridors on the first floor. There must be something -- at least some loot! -- on the first floor; is there another way into it that will give me a fighting chance to turn the lights off before I'm spotted by a guard?

Edit: I missed a second lightswitch in plain view, on the outer wall, just past the doorway from the snake-shaped stairs; it gave me a bit more darkness, so I was able to work my way through the first floor. I'm still short 57 loot; and I still have to find information about the Alchemist. And there might be more objectives that pop up later. Still, a skosh further on...

Edit 2: I'm in what I think is the "living room;" it's the room with a nobleman staring at a picture. I found some loot and a Ground Floor Key, but I see nothing that would resolve the information about the Alchemist objective. What am I looking for?

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 2nd Jun 2013 at 05:18.

In the living room (you mentioned) is the information on the Alchemist. Stand behind the man looking at the picture, crouch und turn to the right. You will spot a book behind the sofa at the wall; it's a bit tricky.

If you still search loot: (All on the upper floor.) There is a ring on the windowsill in the alchemist's room. There is a purse on the cupboard next to the hammerite statue. There is a silver coinstack under the cupboard in the alchemist's room. And on the ground floor there is loot on the table in the dining room. There is a crystal chunk on the table in the room between the dining rooms...

Ghost
    Thanks, Notesthes; finished.

Well, I almost ghosted it! The only bust -- and I'm not sure I'd call it a bust, but when in doubt, you have to -- was when I put out the standing torch on the ground floor in the cross-corridors.

Or rather, not exactly when I put it out: I kept trying to put it out without alerting any of the guards; after about a dozen reloads, I succeeded. The guards walked around for several patrol cycles with no problem.

But then, without me having budged from my complete shadow where I was hiding when I doused the torch, one of the guards suddenly noticed that the torch was out... after already having passed through that exact same intersection four times without a problem!

He noticed it on the fifth pass, and he freaked out, full hunting mode. But after about ten seconds, he went back to normal patrolling. No other guard reacted to his hissy fit.

I had a similar problem putting out the light in the glass-floored center room on the top floor; but after several reloads, I managed to turn it off without alerting any guard on the top or ground floors. So I'm all right on that one.

Just that one post-traumatic darkness disorder...

Dafydd

My compliments on your perseverance.

there is a little error in your loot list:
    [Basement] There is second Crystal in the South storage room, inside crate, NE corner (25);
    and [Ground Floor] the LC Gem at the Corner table, living room is there only on Normal (Normal has 1001 loot total).
    Both of those items are listed in the loot list.

Crystal Chunk--under subtotal 594
    LC Gem--under subtotal 695 (I've marked it 'Normal Only')

There is another loot item (worth 25) that's missing. I'll find it and put it out on the final release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    He noticed it on the fifth pass, and he freaked out, full hunting mode. But after about ten seconds, he went back to normal patrolling. No other guard reacted to his hissy fit.
    Perhaps he has more often this quirk, and that's why the other guards do not even react to him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    Both of those items are listed in the loot list.

Crystal Chunk--under subtotal 594
    LC Gem--under subtotal 695 (I've marked it 'Normal Only')

There is another loot item (worth 25) that's missing. I'll find it and put it out on the final release.
    Perhaps I do not have express myself clearly enough:
    There are two (means 2, not only 1) crystals in the South storage room, inside crate, NE corner, but you mentioned only 1 (not 2). With this there is not anymore loot missing, is there.

And, yes, the LC Gem (under subtotal 695) is mentioned (I never doubted this). But it is (or was) not marked as 'Normal Only'; and it is added to the overall loot of Hard/Expert. That was, what I meant.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just wanted to point out those little things... I do not thought, that I express myself this opaque.
    Last edited by Notesthes; 3rd Jun 2013 at 07:06.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast