TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Do you want Stephen Russell to be the voice of Garrett?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Stephen Russell to voice Garrett.

243 88.04%
  • It doesn't matter.

28 10.14%
  • No...I want someone else voicing Garrett.

5 1.81%
Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237424752 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Stephen Russell - Petition & Poll ***

Quote Originally Posted by Skaadi View Post
    Thanks guys, but I'm not really "taking ownership of negativity." I never thought you guys meant anything personally.

If I'm getting a little snippy, its mainly at people questioning the motives / value of the project itself, rather than anything else. It was meant to convey thanks, not start a huge argument over EM politics.

And honestly, while I'm happy with the responses I've gotten, I'd hoped that the whole thing would have fared better than it has done.
    For clarity, I think the idea is great. I would totally be behind it, I am simply opposed to EM's involvement.

Ditto.

Skaadi...Even when motives are pure, they can be used as a pawn piece for those with ulterior motives...Such is the case you have stumbled into...I would like to see you not be taken advantage of any longer, and recommend you focus your efforts of thanks in pure, uncensored territory.

It pleases me to see that clarity ensues, and impure motives are in the process of being thwarted...Yet, we must keep vigilant my good friends, for this likely will not be the last trick that needs to be undone.

Happy Birthday, CloudOJD...How good of you to join us...

*** April 10, 2013 - Reached 1300+ signatures ***...

Since Dia has established a line of communication, perhaps it would be far better if the community were able to deliver the messages themselves...rather than through EM. I know I would feel better about that.

1335 signatures. I hope to get word out about the petition to some places that will give it a higher profile. Would be nice to keep the numbers up, although considering there has been very little effort to push it so far, the numbers have been climbing consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Since Dia has established a line of communication, perhaps it would be far better if the community were able to deliver the messages themselves...rather than through EM. I know I would feel better about that.

Ehhhhh give me a bit to think, I'll get back to you guys. :/

Ehhhhh give me a bit to think, I'll get back to you guys. :/
    What I mean is, you still collect your messages and we can then have Dia email them to Stephen's friend. That way, it will be a very personal gesture. He now knows about the petition, which I am glad to hear.

Yes, this way any note of appreciation and affection will be guaranteed to be free of censorship, and will not be serving the aims of those who wish to appease the fans through falsehood.

We could even collect all the messages and put them on a thread here at TTLG.

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    For clarity, I think the idea is great. I would totally be behind it, I am simply opposed to EM's involvement.
    I agree.

Having given it some thought over the last little bit , I might be making some changes to the whole thing. Idk, leave it with me for a bit, I'll probably get back to you all a bit later.

jtr7
    Skyrim has 60,000 lines of dialogue. Divided among over 70 actors, how many lines were performed by Stephen Russell? If he's too middle-aged to have enough stamina for 20,000 lines in Thi4f (as if he couldn't do it in more than one session!), maybe he should get out of the voice-over business or just do cameos, instead of doing several voices per game, like in Fallout 3 and Skyrim (a lot can happen to a person in 4 years!). Garrett already talks too damned much in Thi4f, so edit that down no matter what. Unless S.R. himself expressed concern over stamina, it sounds pretty age-ist.

I kinda don't want to say much because other grown-ups are making their own decisions and none of us are in the loop but...

Stephen Russell is a busy, active, hard working and hard thinking kind of guy - he acts, tours, runs a youth theatre and campaigns. Stamina won't be the problem.

Eidos Montreal clearly don't represent the views of those fans who'd like to see Russell (older and craggier as he no doubt is) reprise the role of Garrett - at least on that particular issue. So it's a bit oily when they plonk themselves into the position of being their official representative on that particular issue. Russell deserves hugs aplenty, but I would feel slightly odd sending the guy a thanks but no thanks e-card from EM.
    Last edited by jay pettitt; 11th Apr 2013 at 10:33.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    EM obviously does not want to come across as the 'bad guy' to Thief fans.
    That doesn't make any sense though... they already told us SR is not Garrett so can't imagine how they could be any more 'bad guy' than that.
    Not that I want to argue any political points here, all I care about is that SR gets his messages.

Quote Originally Posted by thiefessa View Post
    all I care about is that SR gets his messages.
    Yes, and thanks to *Dia*, its getting done the right way. We dont need you to keep pushing the damned EM "thank you card". You have played your humble role.

Ok, so after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided to move the whole thank you card thread over here, if that's alright.

While I don't agree with a lot of points on the whole anti EM thing, I understand that I'm really not going to get much in the way of replies when people have so many concerns related to censorship, tact, timing etc etc etc. So I'm pretty much cutting ties with EM on the thing and the thread is getting closed on the forum.

So when we've got a decent amount of messages, I'll send it via PM on the theatre FB page. On that note, its entirely up to you guys, but for efficiency / proprieties sake, could we submit all messages to Stephen via the message thread? It's just that the theatre website isn't strictly Stephen related (or Thief related at all,) and I don't think it'd be a good idea if the FB page got flooded with Thief related messages when it wasn't created for that purpose.

So on that note, I'll get started on the thread when I get home (gotta transfer all the replies from the other thread etc etc)

Ok, so after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided to move the whole thank you card thread over here, if that's alright.

While I don't agree with a lot of points on the whole anti EM thing, I understand that I'm really not going to get much in the way of replies when people have so many concerns related to censorship, tact, timing etc etc etc. So I'm pretty much cutting ties with EM on the thing and the thread is getting closed on the forum.

So when we've got a decent amount of messages, I'll send it via PM on the theatre FB page. On that note, its entirely up to you guys, but for efficiency / proprieties sake, could we submit all messages to Stephen via the message thread? It's just that the theatre website isn't strictly Stephen related (or Thief related at all,) and I don't think it'd be a good idea if the FB page got flooded with Thief related messages when it wasn't created for that purpose.

So on that note, I'll get started on the thread when I get home (gotta transfer all the replies from the other thread etc etc)
    I agree. All messages from here on out should be delivered via the thread. We shouldn't spam the theater page.

Yes, agreed...A wise move Skaadi...This is how it should be.

jtr7
    I hope no one was wanting to be part of a flooding of W.H.A.T.'s FB page. The current decision only makes sense and is what was expected from the beginning (was it not)?

Skaadi...It is important that you point out on the new thread, that "farewells" are premature given the possibility of SR's return...and I would contact those who have already written a "thank you card", so as to give them the opportunity to modify any previous "farewell" sentiment, along with the possible inclusion of any petitioning for his return.

Thanks Vae, but I honestly really just want to let people post what they want. I'll stress the idea that its mainly a thank you thing, and I'll even post a link reminding everyone of the petition, but there's going to be some Thief fans who are of the opinion that Stephens not coming back, and they're fine to have that opinion. So basically the messages can be whatever you want to write, be it a thank you or a farewell.

Edit: however I think you'll find given the general opinion of thief fans overall concerning the new VA, I'm pretty sure most of the messages are going to be wishes for his return anyway, without me doing any prompting

My point is, that there might be those who were under the assmption that there wasn't any chance of SR coming back when they first wrote their card...This perception might have changed later on, so it would be good to give them the opportunity to modify their card, if they so desire.

I just hope that certain people at a certain video game development studio are really listening this time.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Yes, and thanks to *Dia*, its getting done the right way. We dont need you to keep pushing the damned EM "thank you card". You have played your humble role.
    Yes, its good of Dia to do this.

No, I wasn't pushing the EM thank you card... I was pushing for skaadi's thank you card and encouraging more messages.
    Occasionally I responded to other posts to confirm the fact that the card had nothing to do with EM; which appeared to be the argument for not signing it. That is all.
    At the end of the day, it was a thank you card gesture from a fan and not some sinister underhanded plot engineered by EM.

Still... a solution has been found and we can move on now.

I honestly don't see the point, EM isn't involved with the messages anymore, so there's not much chance of them seeing it and having it sway their decision, the fans already have the petition to campaign with, and I've already put the final message on the EM thread.
    Vae, I'm really not going to try and push a particular agenda with this thing. It's supposed to be a simple thank you message thing, nothing more.

Edit: Just noting above post was replying to Vae and not Thiefessa. I'm on a mac atm, and cutting and pasting a quote thing is a little beyond my technical skill with these damn things :P
    Last edited by Skaadi; 11th Apr 2013 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by marrow monkey View Post
    Happy birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlovscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! That would be quite a present for most of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by thiefessa View Post
    Happy Birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Happy Birthday, CloudOJD...How good of you to join us...
    Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I signed the petition, but refuse to sign the card. If the card were being sent by a bunch of grateful and well meaning fans that would be one thing. But I don't trust EM anymore and to me (just my opinion, mind you) EM sending SR a 'thank you card' is akin to just giving him a gold watch and saying 'Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out'.

I found the FB page for the Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater in Wellfleet, Mass and asked ever so nicely if SR is still affiliated with their theater group. They responded promptly that 'Absolutely! He's holding auditions for WHAT for Kids! this Saturday'. So I sent a message to Mr. Russell via the Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater and asked that they pass it on, suggesting that SR visit TTLG (T4 forums in particular) so he can see just how dedicated and loyal his fans are. I also mentioned the petition. I know he'll get the message that way, with no possibility of rewrites, or rewording (not that I believe EM would do anything like that, of course).

Looks like R(andom)T(affer) found my post and added his own message to SR.

(Guess I should've included this: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...0?notif_t=like)
    I have to say that I really appreciate you doing this. I know that Skaadi's motivations were honest, but I didn't want to do it as I mistrusted Eidos. Plus, my entire petition is something of a thank you card to Russell, as I've said, and I probably wouldn't be able to post it on the thread on EM's forums. So, thank you for informing him of it.

Thank you, I feel like this was the right thing to do.

I'm really not going to try and push a particular agenda with this thing. It's supposed to be a simple thank you message thing, nothing more.
    I think we all understand this Skaadi. No one is accusing you of having any 'agendas', okay? Yours was a touching gesture that we can all appreciate and there's no longer any reason for argument regarding EM's participation with this. All is well.

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237424752 ... LastLast