TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Do you want Stephen Russell to be the voice of Garrett?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Stephen Russell to voice Garrett.

243 88.04%
  • It doesn't matter.

28 10.14%
  • No...I want someone else voicing Garrett.

5 1.81%
Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Stephen Russell - Petition & Poll ***

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Curious to know what you're referencing here - what community work did he turn down?
    This isn't the first thread where the subject came up, but it's definitely the funniest:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113718
    Last edited by R Soul; 22nd Apr 2013 at 20:08.

BANNED
    Interesting to read, thanks.

jtr7
    Well, no Monday bump up. It's still inching along as fast as it was through the weekend. Fast or slow, don't matter, as long as it's ever upward at the end of the day.

Agreed, jtr.

Keep spreading the word, Taffers. We're not done yet!

Seems like every single thread on the Thief FB page, regardless of topic, mentions Steven Russell regularly and complains he isn't being used. I would imagine EM _has_ to be sweating a bit over the very vocal reactions.

jtr7
    And yet they were unyielding over the logo, and that was very easy to fix. In the end, they jettisoned all the meaning wrapped into the original logo for something that has very little to do with The City or people we know.

If they'd done their homework they would have already known that this would go down badly. It should not be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    If they'd done their homework they would have already known that this would go down badly. It should not be a surprise.
    I think they did their homework; they just didn't understand it and failed the test.

Sounds about right, Specter. EM just can't possibly be that ignorant of all the protests being made. Or can they?

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    And yet they were unyielding over the logo, and that was very easy to fix. In the end, they jettisoned all the meaning wrapped into the original logo for something that has very little to do with The City or people we know.
    Maybe that's why they decided to stick to the placeholder logo for so long... so that no matter how bad the new logo looked, people could say that at least it's not Thiaf.

Such a small thing, but how much goodwill it would've brought... just shows you what they think of the fans.

Brethren
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Such a small thing, but how much goodwill it would've brought... just shows you what they think of the fans.
    I agree with the first part, not so much on the second. If they had gone with SR, think how much hype could have been generated with a trailer using his voice. And they must have known that no matter how good the new guy is, he couldn't possibly top the master himself, SR. One of the most recognizable voices in gaming. I just can see any upside to using a completely new guy.

As far as caring what the fans think, I believe they do, there's been several mentions of pleasing & accommodating the old school types. But on this particular decision, they goofed.

They will always say they wish to please the "fans"...Yet, actions speak for themselves, regardless of the expected lip-service.

Brethren
    Well, I think if the "classic mode" they keep talking about actually materializes, that would qualify.

In part, that would be true, If it turns out to be worthy of such a name, rather than a substandard appeasement...Yet, it's disturbing that there's even a "classic mode" in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    They will always say they wish to please the "fans"...Yet, actions speak for themselves, regardless of the expected lip-service.
    I'm pleased that there will be a new Thief game. And that's the end of any sort of obligation on the developer's part in regards to pleasing me.

It's a good thing that most of us here have standards...as it is these standards that have kept the THIEF idea and experience alive and well for the past decade. If EM chooses not to embrace these standards, and thus distort and devalue the future meaning and experience, on the whole, they will be rightfully criticized for their irresponsibility.

Was reading the Thief facebook page. A lot of unhappy fans. I noticed someone posted a link to the petition and it was removed within a minute. Not fast enough for me not to grab it.

3500+ Thief fans want Stephen Russell back as the voice of Garrett.

If you agree, sign and share this petition!

http://tinyurl.com/stephenrussell

I suggest sharing this on as many sites as possible. Facebook, Myspace (if anyone still uses that), whatever communication tools you use, throw it out there.

Moderator and Priest
    It's a good thing that most of us here have standards...as it is these standards that have kept the THIEF idea and experience alive and well for the past decade. If EM chooses not to embrace these standards, and thus distort and devalue the future meaning and experience, on the whole, they will be rightfully criticized for their irresponsibility.
    Just because their standards might be a little different from the status quo doesn't mean they're being lowered, nor does it mean they're being irresponsible with the series.

Criticize them all you want. Even now, I'd still love to have Stephen Russell back onboard as Garrett, and I'm hoping the petition reaches 10,000 signatures in the next couple of months. But don't assume any changes are automatically for the worst.

What do you mean by "standards"?

Ya see Q, I'm not going to blindly accept that T4 is a Thief game and run right out and buy it just because EM slapped the word 'Thief' (or as they pronounce it, 'Teef') in the title. At least not until I've found out more about this game - and I mean a LOT more. It may seem as though EM has released tons of T4 information, but they really haven't. There are tons of questions which still need answers. Just naming the protagonist 'Garrett', (while getting a different actor in to poorly mimic the original voice of Garrett, which wasn't broken in the first place), throwing in graphics that may resemble the world of Thief that we've come to know and love, and throwing in some of the weapons Garrett used in the first three games (& I'm including TDS here only because overall it was a Thief game, regardless of how dumbed down/disappointing it was and the Claw may be included in T4) does not make it a true Thief game, imo. More like a Thief ripoff. Whether or not I'll buy this game depends on what I see in a gameplay video and what I experience in playing a demo of this game - if EM has the guts to release one, of course. But I can't find the enthusiasm to run around waving my hands in the air yelling 'OMG LOOK IT'S ANOTHER THIEF GAME OMG OMG!' because if EM has screwed the pooch regarding everything that gave Thief its charm, appeal, total immersion factor, and mystique; if they've totally mucked up the core gameplay that was once Thief, then it's not Thief - just a Thief-wannabe game, a Thief ripoff, as I said before. EM can keep calling it Thief or Teef, but the proof is in the pudding. You can spray-paint a dandelion red and call it a rose all you want .... but that doesn't make it one. I need to know more, because not all of what I do know so far is encouraging.

SubJeff
    You know what?

I'm thoroughly sick of people making fun of the Teef pronunciation. You know it's because their first language is French so what exactly is the problem?

I wonder how many of the people who mention it/make fun of it can speak a second language fluently enough to not speak with an accent.

*** April 23, 2013 - Reached 3600+ signatures ***...

Nor am I, Dia. But I'm not going to automatically disregard someone's creative effort without seeing the result first.

And as far as this whole voice debate goes, would there be any debate over someone else voicing the character in the Thief reboot (and you have to remember, this is a reboot...not a continuation...and I hate reboots) if Stephen Russell had of retired, or was no longer among us, or simply didn't want to do it? For that matter, say if Yul Brynner hadn't smoked himself to death, and LGS had gotten Yul Brynner to voice Garrett originally, but decided later on to let Stephen Russell give it a try--would we be having petitions and arguments to bring back Yul Brynner because he's the only voice of Garrett and Stephen Russell is just a poser?

I need to know more, because not all of what I do know so far is encouraging.
    I guess where I differ with most fans is that I don't need to know more at this point, because what's the point? Sure it's fun to find more information and to speculate. But other than that, I see no reason to be put out. If the game sucks upon release, then it sucks. I can still go back and play the old Thief games, and not give two-shits about anything new because the old Thief games that I love already exist.

But, I'd like to see something new because the old games already exist.

And I don't feel that games or books or movies or Taco Bell tacos should be made to my desire, because the games I love to play (and the books I love to read, and the movies I like to watch...I hate Taco Bell) were not made to my desire in the first place. They were made, and I determined if I liked the result or not after giving it a try. So, for me, no one has an obligation to please me or meet my desires--otherwise, I'd be making the creation.

Does that make sense?

...but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I totally respect yours.

... and I fully support the petition, just for the sake of allowing voices to be heard. Do I think it'll get anywhere? No. But I support it!
    Last edited by Queue; 23rd Apr 2013 at 16:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    would there be any debate over someone else voicing the character in the Thief reboot if Stephen Russell had of retired, or was no longer among us, or simply didn't want to do it?
    A big part of the problem is that he was willing and able, so I think that question is silly.

For that matter, say if Yul Brynner hadn't smoked himself to death, and LGS had gotten Yul Brynner to voice Garrett originally, but decided later on to let Stephen Russell give it a try--would we be having petitions and arguments to bring back Yul Brynner because he's the only voice of Garrett and Stephen Russell is just a poser?
    Yes, and it would be perfectly valid. With different people involved, EM would still be replacing the original voice actor despite him being willing and able. Although if SR could do a good impression of Brunner, more people would be content.

Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752 ... LastLast