TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New Program: Dark Engine Object Converter Interface

New Program: Dark Engine Object Converter Interface

Let's say you want to edit one of the original objects to improve it. The 'Free the Objects Toolkit' allows this, but it can be quite a chore to find the textures, especially when the best ones may be in the Enhancement Pack, but some others may still be in the original CRFs. Others may be in your own obj\txt16 folder. Things are further complicated by the fact that NewDark allows .dds and .png textures. Anim8or doesn't support those formats, so you'd have to convert them. Blender doesn't support .gif, so you'd have to convert them.

I created the Dark Engine Object Converter Interface to make the process much simpler. You need Free the Objects, and an image converter with a command line tool (e.g. IrfanView). You then tell my program where you installed/extracted them, choose an object, select a texture format supported by your object program, and choose the output folders, and that's it. Click 'Convert' and it all gets done very quickly.

Most of the settings will be saved to a file and loaded the next time you start the program, so from then on you just choose an object and set the output folder.

Download:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI141.zip

Readme:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/readme/readme.html
    Last edited by R Soul; 11th Nov 2013 at 09:03. Reason: New download link

A bug has been found and fixed. The link in the above post has changed to http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI131.zip

... says R Soul, as a tumbleweed rolls past this thread.

Awesome! Another tool to make Thief FM making life easier!

Using DEOCI3. I opted to Don't Convert/Extract Textures, but the program is telling me, Texture conversion format not selected.

I'm going to convert the silver gear (-870) to 3DS, mangle it up, and turn it back into a .bin.

I'll install IrfanView to see if that satisfies it.

EDIT: Yep. That did it.

Wow... this is a nice looking tool. Although I must admit I'm not an object editor, it seems like it would be a very useful tool to include in the DromEd Basic toolkit. Would you be interested in that, R Soul?

Okay, stick it in.

Alright thanks! From my reading, I think most of the programs it requires are already included in the toolkit, however, I understand that some of them are outdated.

Would you be willing to check and see if any of the tools need updating? Or suggest other useful tools to include? I'm afraid I have no object editing experience whatsoever, so I can't do it myself.

This program only needs bintoe and eto3ds, but the Toolkit already has the most up do date versions.

There is a new (beta) version of bintoe which you may want at: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1975775

It seems very stable and converts some objects that the prior version doesn't. There still can be problems with mixups in texture assignments to polys, though whether that is from bintoe or eto3ds I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    Using DEOCI3. I opted to Don't Convert/Extract Textures, but the program is telling me, Texture conversion format not selected.
    After changing the way texture conversion was handled, I forgot to update the error checking code. I've fixed that problem now.

Latest version:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI132.zip
    (this goes for you too, AntiMatter)

Thanks!

bikerdude
    Can this tool convert objects to other model types, like say .ASE...?

This program runs existing conversion programs. If there's a command line program that can convert from .e to .ase, you can choose that in as the 'e to 3ds' program instead of eto3ds.exe. If there's a program that converts from .bin to .ase, I can make provision for that.

It has been brought to my attention by Notesthes, who was testing my other program, that Tafferpatcher combines the two sets of original crf files. I've modified DEOCI so you can tell it to use just the one orignal crf file.

New download link:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI14.zip

Thanks.

Bump

I found a bug where textures would only be placed in the same folder as the 3ds, even if the user chose a different location.

New download link:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/deoci/DEOCI141.zip

This is a helpful tool.

It's working fine with original resources. It's also working fine with original resource that are in T2/obj (a custom path)
    It's also working fine with custom resorces if the custom resources were put in RES/crf. Otherwise I get this message: bintoe didn't work. Why? I guess it's because DEOC is always looking for resources in a RES-folder, no matter what I do.

Sometimes, just dragging the .bin and texture files into the DEOC folder is the only way it will convert. But yeah, I get that bintoe error msg also.

Thanks
    That's the trick

The error message occurs when the .e file cannot be found. I made the assumption that that would happen if bintoe could not create the file. Some EP objects can't be converted because they're too highly detailed.

If you post a screenshot of the program with the object/folder selections that are causing the error I might be able to see why things aren't working as they should.

The path to the crf-folder doesn't matter. The crf-path shouldn't be obligatory.

Some objects have than just a single texture. Looks like there's no information about a 2nd or 3rd texture in the converted 3ds files.

How many letters may names of bins and textures have? Is there a 8-character limit?
    Last edited by fibanocci; 30th Jun 2014 at 10:32.

That's an awesome thing you've made there R Soul! :-)

I still prefer to do all my converting in the command window though.

Alas, another one has risen from the dead. Welcome back, Sluggs!