TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: I don't always play FMs..but when I do, I prefer..

Edumacated

I don't always play FMs..but when I do, I prefer..

Hi all, no I'm not the most interesting man in the world (Dos Equis reference for those who haven't heard the commercials ), but I really don't always play FMs - in fact, I very rarely play FMs and as a result, I haven't played 99% of the FMs out there and probably won't be cutting that number down any time soon.

My question is: what are most-recommended FMs out there? The sticky thread list looks really old, and the COSAS website seems to be outdated as well. Just for reference, I've never played T2X or Gathering at the Inn, (first 2 on my list for now) so I'm pretty green in terms of FM territory.

Please feel free to fire away with your 'must-play' recommendations. I tried thread-searching as well but most threads were 5-10 years old

Thanks

t13x

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    For me, it would be Ominous Bequest and Broken Triad, followed by The Black Frog and The Seven Sisters.

I'd start with the Am-I-the-only-one-here (who uses the search engine/Google before posting) meme now but that would probably be too mean. So for now I respond by another interesting man caption: I don't always ask for stuff in a forum. But when I do, it had been posted several times already:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138745
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114267

Edumacated
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    I'd start with the Am-I-the-only-one-here (who uses the search engine/Google before posting) meme now but that would probably be too mean. So for now I respond by another interesting man caption: I don't always ask for stuff in a forum. But when I do, it had been posted several times already:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138745
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114267
    Thanks, but if you had read my original post you would've seen that I was specifically trying to avoid threads 5-10 years old . Appreciate the links though (the first is particularly helpful)

Thanks for the great references Yandros, these look great

Please, keep them coming

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    I was specifically trying to avoid threads 5-10 years old .
    It's a shame as they still are relevant. Because they are 5 years old doesn't mean they are obsolete

Among many, I'd say :
    - Calendra's legacy
    - Seventh Crystal
    - Rose cottage
    - CoSaS Mission X (after gathering at the inn)
    - Hammerite imperium
    - Keeper of the prophecies
    - Fable of the penitent thief
    - Equilibrium
    - Conpiracies in the dark
    - A debt repaid

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    For me, it would be Ominous Bequest and Broken Triad, followed by The Black Frog and The Seven Sisters.
    All good choices; Ominous Bequest and Broken Triad in particular are exceptionally good. Best to play them last so as to not ruin the other missions for you But I think the list can be expanded a bit.
    CoSaS Mission X is another exceptional mission. An oldie but goodie that I think still should be mentioned is 7th Crystal by Saturnine; for me that was the point where a FM author really went above and beyond the OMs. (He also made Rose Cottage which is another very nice and really good-looking mission). I've also enjoyed The Last Lighthouse Keeper by Eternauta, Sensut's Bathory campaign, and Mystic Gems II by Wille.
    If you like city missions you'll need to play first and foremost Disorientation by Melan, and also Being Thief by Sensut and the two missions by skacky: Shadow Politics and Between these Dark Walls.

There are many other good ones too, and I'm probably forgetting half of my favourites right now (edit: fortunately DrK has mentioned some of them )

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    It's a shame as they still are relevant. Because they are 5 years old doesn't mean they are obsolete

Among many, I'd say :
    - Calendra's legacy
    - Seventh Crystal
    - Rose cottage
    - CoSaS Mission X (after gathering at the inn)
    - Hammerite imperium
    - Keeper of the prophecies
    - Fable of the penitent thief
    - Equilibrium
    - Conpiracies in the dark
    - A debt repaid
    I agree with Drk, due to "newdark" texture, play capability, AI, etc.. to make even the older missions "WANTED" again. I would also add Rowena's Curse too.

If you really want the newest missions, try "Rose Cottage", The Strumdrang campaign, Zealot's Hallow, Cell 6, and the list keeps on going.... And as Yandros said the "Black Frog".... I have that one ready to play yet again for the 15th time, but the first time in new dark. It will be really good.
    And Yes, Ominous Bequest is an older mission but rated top 5.

L'arsene campaign.

I agree with all of the above.

And DrK, good suggestions, but no need to be so modest ;-)

DrK's ANiR series is an absolute must, as well!

Also, if you have TG, and don't mind puzzles/undead, I really loved Sepulchre of Sinistral.

Stowaway (June 2000) Yeah, it's only 13 years old, but if it was released today, I'm pretty sure most people would say: wow, what a lovely mission!
    and the Ashen Age Part 1 by sliptip. It was a visual impact for me.

These are some of my favorites because they have a strong emphasis on traversing rooftops and city exploring:

-Disorientation
    -Bad Debts
    -Moth to a Flame
    -Skeletons in the Closet
    -Thieves' Highway
    -The Power of Suggestion
    -Between These Dark Walls

I'm actually kinda in the same boat as you Thief13x, I haven't played that many FMs.

Having said that,I liked The Mystery Man(Thief 1/Gold), Gathering At The Inn(Thief 2 COSAS), Mission X (Thief 2 COSAS). Those are the main ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh, A Thief's Holiday is always a fantastic one, if you're into Christmas and winter themed missions. I've played that one in December (naturally) with a friend using the multiplayer patch. Nice little fun one to play during the holidays.

Some others:
    A Simple Job Planned For This Evening (T2)
    Sepulchre of the Senistral (T1)
    Bafford's Last Stand (Beaumaris) - Thief 2

I'd definitely recommend The Order of The Vine by Silentsleep. It's pretty challenging to start with and there's some interesting surprises in store.

There are a lot of quality FMs available and the authors all dedicate a lot of time and energy into them. With that said, I'll recommend a few more:

- From Beneath The Sands (Egyptian tomb robbing anyone?)
    - Dracula Reloaded by Sensut (Big campaign and has a whole lot of lore behind it)
    - The Dead of Winter (So bizarre, it's addicting. Plus it's snowing!)

Edumacated
    Thanks for the suggestions all. Just to clarify, I asked for only relatively recent FMs since I have asked this question before in the past on here. Thanks for the responses! This is a great list..

Ruins of Originia campaign (includes the largest single mission ever made), Calendra's legacy, Broken Triad, Ominous Bequest, Ink and Dust, Lorgan's web, Inverted manse, Cathedral of the Damned, Order of the Vine, Calendra's cistern, Mirror of Return, Hammerite Imperium, the Dracula campaign, the Black Frog, Horns of Canzo, Drymian Codex, Events in Highrock. Just to name a few, there's countless others but these are among my top ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions all. Just to clarify, I asked for only relatively recent FMs since I have asked this question before in the past on here. Thanks for the responses! This is a great list..
    Well to me that 5 year old list is STILL RELEVANT. Why? because it lists some of the greatest games made for thief 2.

I simply prefer the older FM's to the newer ones. I come across very little "brand new" FM's that I put on my external hard drive to keep. I usually just play them once and forget them!

But my external drive is chock full of "oldies but goodies"!

I prefer the Thief 2 FM's the most, but that is simply a personal preference for me.