TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I hope it's true, cuz gamepad would make the iPad one of the best portable gaming machines around. It'd be like having a little 10" TV that weighs a little over a pound you can carry around with you. All you have to do is flip it upright, get your controller, and play away.
    Heh. I'll probably end up playing DX:tF on my wife's iPad3 with a controller and plugged into our living room TV. Hey, look, the iConsole.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Both The Fall and the recent Wii-U version likely re-use a lot of the original assets and end up being quite cheap to make and distribute digitally. It's a good way of speading brand-recognition before the next proper installment of the series comes out.
    Oh, henke. There's seven episodes planned. If this is anything but an abject failure, it IS the "next proper installment", and the one after will be much the same. (If it is an abject market failure, then it probably won't get to episode 3 and it's anybody's guess what'll happen next in the franchise.)

I wouldn't underestimate those "higher-ups", most of them didn't get to where they are by not putting thought into things.
    I've met a lot of "higher-ups", and most of them got where they are via nepotism and not much else. The brilliant people tend to end up in middle management - bubbling up through the lower layers but unable to hobnob with the aristocrats. And then, of course, middle management is the first layer to get layoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    We didn't wage a campaign against Ion Storm when they made DX:The Conspiracy for the PS2 and I don't think we'll wage one against EM either.

I can fathom their thinking just fine but I can't fathom yours. I mean, so what if they make an iPad game?

I consider myself a hardcore DX fan and I'm not interested in tablet gaming, but I wish them the best of luck in trying to make the idea work. I suspect somebody here will give it a try and I'll be curious to hear how it turns out.
    If you're fine with the dumbing down of Deus Ex and it's new game being exclusive to Ipad's, then by all means, be so. There is a big difference between handling a beloved game like Deus Ex on a console and playing it on an Ipad. FPS's are crap on Ipad's, and Deus Ex was not so simplified on the PS2 port as The Fall will be on the Ipad. You can hear them talking about it right there on the trailer how they want to casualize it... and quite simply, this is a huge step in the wrong direction for the franchise.

In hindsight I actually can fathom their thinking... it's the simplest of things: Money. A quick cash grab, at the cost of pissing off many in the fanbase. We'll see how this move plays out.

june gloom
    You know, this is a fundamental problem I have with the Autism Ward: on the one hand I ostensibly agree with many of the complaints they have but they almost universally register those complaints so incredibly fucking obnoxiously that I can't help but gravitate towards the diametric opposite viewpoint out of spite.

I'd rather use "a few" instead of "many", but that's beside the point, I don't see any grounds here.

This is just EM taking a running piss at a tree in the mobile yard, it's not meant to be "the next DX title." It's just some filler and, if it works out, additional funding while they work on the real deal. I have a hard time imagining that the success of this sideproject will have any measurable impact on DX4's development, aside from maybe occupying a handful of people for half a year. So what's the big deal, why should people get pissed off? The next DX will come a few months later than it might've? Big whoop.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Android version confirmed so there, absolutely no reason to get an Apple iPOS product just to play this.

june gloom
    Nevermind that I never said I was going to get an iPad just for this game. Which one of you freaking mentalists started that nonsense, was it henke? I bet it was him, that asshole. I've been planning on getting an iPad for quite some time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    SURE YOU HAVE! SUUUUUUUUURE YOU HAVE

So basically it's human revolution with a lower polygon count and terrible controls? Cool, I can't wait.

june gloom
    SURE YOU HAVE! SUUUUUUUUURE YOU HAVE
    My butthole, your lungs.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm pretty sure I don't want to think of the physical logistics that would be required to make that scenario come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    My butthole, your lungs.
    and the rest was Broadway musical history.

Quote Originally Posted by antihero276 View Post
    If you're fine with the dumbing down of Deus Ex and it's new game being exclusive to Ipad's, then by all means, be so. There is a big difference between handling a beloved game like Deus Ex on a console and playing it on an Ipad. FPS's are crap on Ipad's, and Deus Ex was not so simplified on the PS2 port as The Fall will be on the Ipad. You can hear them talking about it right there on the trailer how they want to casualize it... and quite simply, this is a huge step in the wrong direction for the franchise.
    My point was that the Deus Ex community doesn't seem to have any strong objections to DX-based side projects.
    I think console ports, iPad games, novels, and other spin-off projects are generally good for the brand.

And OF COURSE it's going to be simplified and casualized. It's an iPad game for chrissakes. That doesn't mean future console/PC installments will be dumbed down.

In hindsight I actually can fathom their thinking... it's the simplest of things: Money. A quick cash grab, at the cost of pissing off many in the fanbase. We'll see how this move plays out.
    Unless they announce they're only making iPad games from now on, how is this going to piss off the fanbase?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    You know, this is a fundamental problem I have with the Autism Ward: on the one hand I ostensibly agree with many of the complaints they have but they almost universally register those complaints so incredibly fucking obnoxiously that I can't help but gravitate towards the diametric opposite viewpoint out of spite.
    I agree with this so much, it hurts. It's the AIMy sense of entitlement and the notion of "They're betraying us, the *real* fans!" that makes me want to make completely certain I'm not associated with their special brand of asshattery.

Now, what current discussion in what subforum does this bring to mind?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Unless they announce they're only making iPad games from now on, how is this going to piss off the fanbase?
    Well the way they revealed it pissed us off. Letting us work ourselves INTO A FRENZY OF SPECULATION over a new DX title before revealing that it was just a iPad game. Certainly pissed me off. Of course, it'd take a lot more than that to get me to refuse to buy any future "proper" installments of the series.

Moderator and Priest
    Just an iPad game? Comeon, Henke. You should know as well as anybody here that the platform has nothing to do with the quality of a game.

...well, except for the controls. But, you know...shut up.

Oh, and speaking of which, more hints and rumors about Apple's upcoming game controller. It's already a given, considering iOS7 has the controller APIs built in. The only question is how long it's gonna be until it comes out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The quality of the game wasn't the issue, whether or not it pisses off the fanbase was. Since DXHR was on PC/Consoles it's safe to say that that's the systems the fanbase has. They don't necessarily have iPads. The teaser video was so vague that it could've been aimed at noone but the existing fans, so when they then reveal that the thing in question is a game for a device that probably 75% of them don't have, it's going to grate.

As for the controller rumors: Wheee!

june gloom
    I will say that to its credit, the tie-in novel that this is a sequel to was actually decent. Not the best book I ever read, but it's certainly not shit.

Level 10,000 achieved

YOUR A VERY GOOD SOLIDER BEN

Also, Pocketgamer has had some hands-on time with the game and they have a preview up. Mostly they like it and say it feels very Deus Exy, and apparently the controls work well enough as long as there's no shooting going on.

The controls work surprisingly well, and give you complete access to all your strategic options at all times. I was able to sneak up on goons, score headshots, and evade capture with ease. If you play Deus Ex as a stealth game, you'll find the controls to be perfectly capable.

They, of course, fall apart when you get rumbled and the game transforms into a full-on shooter. It's serviceable, but suffers from the same problems as any attempt to graft an FPS onto a pane of touch-sensitive glass.

Some discouraging news...
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/21/445...new-aaa-hitman

Eidos-Montreal has also named David Anfossi as its new studio head. Anfossi served as executive producer on cyberpunk action game Deus Ex: Human Revolution. He will oversee development on the Thief reboot, announced earlier this year, as well as two in-development unannounced projects.

Square Enix's Montreal studio will shift its focus to mobile development, with an emphasis on tablets. Patrick Naud, the studio's current assistant director, will step into the studio's central leadership role. The developer will also focus on games related to the Hitman franchise, and will eventually take on other products outside of the brand.

I am not pleased.

I don't know how they expect to increase profits by selling $10 tablet games instead of $60 PC/console games.

Sure, once you have an established brand, lots of game assets, and tech you can churn out episodic content for relatively little cost. But the market for that kind of content is small, mostly the dedicated fans of a franchise. Unless they can deliver another blockbuster AAA title to bring in a whole new set of fans, the customer base for titles like The Fall will just keep shrinking.

I get the feeling from your posts that you believe Eidos Montreal and SE Montreal are the same studio? I don't believe that is true. At the very least, they have different addresses.

What is happening at SE Montreal doesn't necessarily impact Eidos Montreal.

Oh! So there's a studio called Square Enix Montreal. Polygon's choice of words wasn't the best, especially with that 's. I am no longer displeased.

It tricked me at first too, very confusing wording. All I've done is google each name and noted that the first address I found for each company is different, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hmm. Thanks for checking, gives me some hope for now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast