TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fall

Moderator and Priest
    The Fall is now officially out. Anyone with a tablet pick this up yet?

Yeah, normally that'd be me, but this came out at the worst possible time, since I got my PS3 with a crapton of games. I want to play through what I've got before I get something new.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Minimum rec is iPad 3, support for iPad 2 is coming soon apparently. Anyway, me and my clunky ol' iPad 1 won't get to play it. Boohoo!

The price is 6 euros.

IGN gameplay video with commentary:

Last edited by henke; 11th Jul 2013 at 10:03.

Moderator and Priest
    I caved in and bought it. I'm now waiting for it to finish downloading. First impressions coming soon.

edit: FIRST IMPRESSIONS!

It's exactly what I expected it'd be: a surprisingly true to form Deus Ex game that has control issues. The fake analog controls work better than I thought they would, with the entire middle-left portion of the screen being dedicated to movement, and the middle-right for mouse look, but the way EM has scattered the buttons across the touch screen makes it difficult to do things quickly. Something as normally fluid as taking cover against a wall and leaving it again is a bit of a stuttering chore here.

I want to say a lot of my problems are due to me not being used to it yet (I've barely played 15 minutes so far), but I have a feeling that as good as I get, it'll never be as smooth as it would be on the PC or consoles. The iPad really needs a controller to get the most out of it.

The graphics and sound? Dead on. Even without heavy use of specular and bumpmapping effects, the game looks surprisingly close to what I saw on the PC. The fact it's running at 2048x1536 means it's sharp as hell.

...but here's the bad part: load zones. And a lot of them. Roughly the size as what we saw in DX2. I haven't gotten to the hub yet, but I have a feeling it's going to annoy me just as much here as it did there.

Overall feelings are mixed. On one hand, it's great playing a proper DX game on a tablet. On the other, it's not really the best place for it. Tablets are better suited for point 'n click turn based style games, not skill based first person shooters that require a ton of easily accessible buttons to do all the various things you'll need to perform to survive. EM did a spectacular job on the game, no doubt, but the limitations of the medium itself keep it from being as good as it could be.

Just keep in mind my opinions might change the farther into it I get.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 13th Jul 2013 at 00:10.

Brethren
    Last edited by Renault; 16th Jul 2013 at 12:12.

Moderator and Priest
    What's funny is that you don't even need to jailbreak to pirate apps on iOS anymore. Punishing the jailbreakers for something they could do is incredibly short sighted, and won't do a damn thing to stop piracy. It'll only piss off your paying customers.

But on the plus side, at least they realized how stupid they were being, and fixed it quickly enough.

Lol @ "the gut punch".

That looks really good for an ipad.

And looking at the direction ms is going in general, and taking windows with it I'm resigned into looking for what is gonna be the gaming platform of the future.

True ms is only becoming as bad as apple,
    but at least I'll have hipster appeal.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Deus Ex: The Fall has been patched with iPad 2 support. Also Android Master Race version confirmed for September.
    http://community.eidosmontreal.com/b...TF-Patch-Notes

june gloom
    Oh good, my Nexus 7 is hungry.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Oh good, my Nexus 7 is hungry.
    You got the new Nexus 7, right? The one with the awesome screen and overall better everything?

june gloom
    Hell if I know. All I know is it's awesome.

Moderator and Priest
    The one best way to know is when you got it and how much you paid for it. If you spent $229 for it just recently, you probably got the new one.

Level 10,000 achieved
    DX:The Fall is 99 cents on the iOS AppStore right now. If you, like me, have held off on getting it, now's the time to pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    DX:The Fall is 99 cents on the iOS AppStore right now. If you, like me, have held off on getting it, now's the time to pick it up!
    Still waiting for the Android version. According to a Facebook post, they'll have news about it soon.

june gloom
    Probably be "we're cancelling it."

Probably be "we're cancelling it."
    More likely that it will be coming out at the same time as the next chapter of The Fall. Both parts at once instead of two segmented things, like the iOS version.

Out now for Android

The Fall is out now for Android.

Guess I was wrong about part 2.

How's it run on iPhone 4 (non-Siri)?

june gloom
    Any possibility of this coming to PC?

Bueler?

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    The Fall is out now for Android.

Guess I was wrong about part 2.
    Compatible with my HTC Desire Z but not my Nook HD+? WTF?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I wouldn't hold my breath. It looks similar on the surface, but the mobile version of DX is actually very simplified. For instance there aren't really any physics-objects. Bodies don't ragdoll, crates and barrels are bolted to the ground. If they ported it to PC it would be an underwhelming experience for gamers used to Human Revolution. They could of course take the assets over to the proper engine and remake it but that'd probably be too much work to be worth it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...eam-next-month

The Fall is out on Steam on the 25th for $10.

Whoa, wasn't expecting that. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast