TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fall

Level 10,000 achieved

The Fall

IT'S HAPPENING!

and by "IT" I mean "SOMETHING"!

SOMETHING'S HAPPENING!

According to Gamespot: "Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Thief developer Eidos Montreal today teased a new project that appears to be related to something called The Fall.

"Are you ready for The Fall?" the developer tweeted today.

Nothing else was shared and the Eidos Montreal Twitter account has not tweeted since.

Publisher Square Enix registered a handful of Deus Ex: The Fall domain names in March, suggesting The Fall was the name of the next entry in the series.

If Square Enix is gearing up to make a product announcement, the company could do so next week during the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo.
    "

Looking forward to hearing more.

june gloom
    IT'S GONNA BE TERRIBLE PC GAMING IS DEAAAAAAAD

(looking forward to more news)

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't wanna rob you guys of experiencing first-hand the sweet sweet disappointment that is this announcement so I won't say anything. Stand by for the gutpunch at the 30 second mark.

Ugh. Not even I'm looking forward to this. Seriously, first person games and iPad do not mix well.

june gloom

And here I was thinking it would be a game about walking around the canals of 1950s Amsterdam listening to a beatnik prattle on about the existential horror and banality of our own mortality. That probably would have been better news than this too.

SubJeff
    That sounds awesome dema.

Make it!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ugh. Not even I'm looking forward to this.
    Is that your way of saying that you never asked for this?

Crap. I don't have an iPhone or pad, so I guess I'm just shit outta luck. Besides, I don't think I'd even want to play it on anything but a PC anyhow.

EM sucks.

Moderator and Priest
    You know what would make things a helluva lot better? If Apple allowed for keyboard/mouse support on their damn iPad. I mean it's already got the keyboard. Developers could use that to make their games. Why not add a mouse?

Or hell, a damn gamepad at least.

Clearly some higher-up decided they needed to focus more on mobile gaming, with no more complicated thought going into it than that.

You know what might've made a decent mobile game? You're a hacker in the Deus Ex-verse, and play advanced versions of the DX:HR hacking mini-game to advance the conspiracy-laden plot. I liked that mini-game.

Moderator and Priest
    That's one thing I wouldn't want. Phones and tablets are now stronger than the PS Vita and 3DS in graphics and processing power. They're now fully capable of creating games as deep and complex as any PC RPG or strategy game from the early-mid 00's. There's no reason to think of them as only being capable of flash quality mini-games anymore.

The only issue with them is control. Touchscreens are better suited for slower paced point 'n click type games where split second response times aren't needed. Games like Civilization, Baldur's Gate, Command & Conquer, or Might and Magic. First person games like Deus Ex usually don't work nearly as well in comparison.

I say usually because they can be done, but there's only one or two games that have managed to pull it off well enough to be considered playable. Like The Drowning, which does FP controls beautifully on the iPad. Unfortunately, EM is going with the old invisible dual analog stick controls, and DX is probably gonna suffer because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Clearly some higher-up decided they needed to focus more on mobile gaming, with no more complicated thought going into it than that.

You know what might've made a decent mobile game? You're a hacker in the Deus Ex-verse, and play advanced versions of the DX:HR hacking mini-game to advance the conspiracy-laden plot. I liked that mini-game.
    the minigame was alright and could definitely use some expansion. In fact, there's already that TV show pitch Frank Pritchard tried in-game with Picus, they could run with the story of Nucl3arsnake.

Or better yet, just focus on major games like the studio was supposed to?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Like The Drowning, which does FP controls beautifully on the iPad.
    That looks nice, shame I can't run it on my iPad 1. At least it looks like The Fall won't be just dual stick movement. The lock-on and double-tap-to-move systems give me some hope that it might be playable.

Also I heard a rumor that the next iPad (due for release around October it is speculated) will ship with a gamepad. If that's true I might finally update.

At last the Deus Ex franchise gets its Contract: JACK...

Moderator and Priest
    Also I heard a rumor that the next iPad (due for release around October it is speculated) will ship with a gamepad. If that's true I might finally update.
    I hope it's true, cuz gamepad would make the iPad one of the best portable gaming machines around. It'd be like having a little 10" TV that weighs a little over a pound you can carry around with you. All you have to do is flip it upright, get your controller, and play away.

Though considering how much you use your iPad anyway, I'd suggest upgrading even if it doesn't come with a gamepad. The iPad 3 is half as thick, and has a screen that will melt your brain when you first lay eyes on it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I've seen one. The resolution doesn't do much for me, but the improved graphics and performance in most games do impress me. The lighter weight is certainly nice too.

I keep postponing upgrading. I was gonna wait out MS Surface Pro but that didn't turn out to be too impressive. Guess I'll wait till autumn and see how the next iPad turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Both The Fall and the recent Wii-U version likely re-use a lot of the original assets and end up being quite cheap to make and distribute digitally. It's a good way of speading brand-recognition before the next proper installment of the series comes out. It's like marketing, but instead of spending money they might just end up earning a buck or two.

I wouldn't underestimate those "higher-ups", most of them didn't get to where they are by not putting thought into things.
    Last edited by henke; 6th Jun 2013 at 03:48.

Moderator and Priest
    I keep postponing upgrading. I was gonna wait out MS Surface Pro but that didn't turn out to be too impressive. Guess I'll wait till autumn and see how the next iPad turns out.
    The Surface Pro might be pretty good once MS slaps a Haswell chip into it. The one thing that turned me off the most about it was that it only lasted about 3-5 hours on a charge. Since Haswell has a better GPU, and increases battery life across the board by about 50%, it might actually make the Pro worth considering again once it comes out.

june gloom
    Okay so now I have a dilemma. Do I get the iPad mini and save a couple hundred bucks, or do I get one of the newer iPads? I'm mostly just going to be using it as a replacement for my Kindle Fire, but I'm probably going to buy this game because I can't help myself. Should I shell out for the more powerful, but larger and heavier iPad?

Annnd EM better brace it's self for another crap storm. The dislike bar and comments on that so called 'trailer' are very encouraging... looks like we are going to get a second front opened up in out campaign against EM's asinine decisions. It's as if they really want to run their company right into the ground... did they actually think this would go over well in the slightest? I am floored by how serious they were in that presentation of their regurgitated product. I literally cannot fathom any of their thinking at this point.
    Last edited by antihero276; 7th Jun 2013 at 02:48.

It's "asinine." And with a spot of luck that "second front" won't open up here in DXGen, behold this marvellous power the rest of us have to not give a shit about a game we won't be buying. It's pretty cool.

iNever asked for this.

Quote Originally Posted by antihero276 View Post
    Annnd EM better brace it's self for another crap storm. The dislike bar and comments on that so called 'trailer' are very encouraging... looks like we are going to get a second front opened up in out campaign against EM's asanine decisions. It's as if they really want to run their company right into the ground... did they actually think this would go over well in the slightest? I am floored by how serious they were in that presentation of their regurgitated product. I literally cannot fathom any of their thinking at this point.
    We didn't wage a campaign against Ion Storm when they made DX:The Conspiracy for the PS2 and I don't think we'll wage one against EM either.

I can fathom their thinking just fine but I can't fathom yours. I mean, so what if they make an iPad game?

I consider myself a hardcore DX fan and I'm not interested in tablet gaming, but I wish them the best of luck in trying to make the idea work. I suspect somebody here will give it a try and I'll be curious to hear how it turns out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Should I shell out for the more powerful, but larger and heavier iPad?
    *chants*

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

"Larger" is not a bad thing, and the new ones aren't very heavy. I'd get a proper full-size one simply because I'm not sure what I'd do with a mini. They're not small enough that you can comfortably slip them in your pocket when you go out, are they?

Don't get one just for DX:The Fall, that's bound to be a disappointment. A big selling point for me when I bought the iPad was that I'd finally be able to play GTA: Chinatown Wars but ended up being disappointed when the game proved too complex to be enjoyable on the simplistic interface.

Do get one for the things you'll actually end up using it for. Checking the weather and Facebook before you even get out of bed in the morning, watching YouTube shows while cooking dinner, checking the IMDb entry for the movie you're currently watching, and looking up the Dark Souls 2 Wiki while you're playing it on your Playstation.

As for gaming? After a couple of years with the iPad I can honestly say that games which exist both for iPad and PC are almost always better on PC. There's perhaps a handful of titles that only exist on the iPad and are genuinely sink-a-dozen-hours-into-them-enjoyable. And those would be Jet Car Stunts, Super Stickman Golf 1/2, Real Racing 2, and The Little Crane That Could. I don't think any of them would be your cup of tea. So... uh... if you're just in the market for a portable gaming-device, don't get an iPad.

Moderator and Priest
    "Larger" is not a bad thing, and the new ones aren't very heavy. I'd get a proper full-size one simply because I'm not sure what I'd do with a mini. They're not small enough that you can comfortably slip them in your pocket when you go out, are they?
    The mini is arguably better for games, since it's lighter and the smaller size makes it a little easier to hold in your hands.

I'd say it all depends on what Deth wants to use it for. Like me, I don't use it just for games. Nowhere near. I'll do light photo editing with it using iPhoto, draw on it using a stylus and ArtStudio, read books on it using iBooks and Kindle, use it to show off price quotes and pictures to people, jot down ideas with Notebook, keep track of my to-do list with Reminders, watch movies and shows using Netflix and Hulu Plus, and write up documents using Pages. In other words, I use it like a little netbook, so the 10" screen is far better for me.

But if I were to use it to just play games, I'd go with the Mini.

Don't get one just for DX:The Fall, that's bound to be a disappointment. A big selling point for me when I bought the iPad was that I'd finally be able to play GTA: Chinatown Wars but ended up being disappointed when the game proved too complex to be enjoyable on the simplistic interface.

As for gaming? After a couple of years with the iPad I can honestly say that games which exist both for iPad and PC are almost always better on PC. There's perhaps a handful of titles that only exist on the iPad and are genuinely sink-a-dozen-hours-into-them-enjoyable. And those would be Jet Car Stunts, Super Stickman Golf 1/2, Real Racing 2, and The Little Crane That Could. I don't think any of them would be your cup of tea. So... uh... if you're just in the market for a portable gaming-device, don't get an iPad.
    I'd say there's a good number of what I'd consider good games for the iPad. There's KOTOR, Frozen Synapse, Bastion, Warhammer Quest, Final Fantasy Tactics, Raiden Legacy, the entire Metal Slug series (which plays surprisingly well, and has iCade support), Baldur's Gate (with II on the way), Broken Sword 1 & 2, Unmechanical, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Real Myst, Riven, Real Racing 2 & 3, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head. It even has a good pile of cool old arcade games to choose from if that's your thing. It's also gonna have XCOM, Shadowrun Returns, Transistor, Shadowgate, and Deja Vu coming up in a few months.

Though I will agree with you that buying it as a game machine alone probably wouldn't be the best thing to do. It's not a portable console like the Vita and 3DS. It's more like a large PDA/laptop hybrid that just happens to have a good list of games to choose from. That's just not it's primary function, and it's not a good platform for all types of games. This'll change pretty quickly if Apple decides to release a controller for it, to the point where I'd almost say it could end up beating the aforementioned portables in selection and support. But right now? It's merely decent.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast