TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126 ... LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

Nightwalker to the rescue!
    Spoiler:
    You need the Treasury key. Go up stairs to the area with Alexi's private dining room and go into the servant's room just down the hall. Slash the wall tapestry, climb in there and the key is on the dead body. If you read the book in there, you should have seen a reference to a "bad smell". Guess where it was coming from?

The fire poker is in Hector's rooms. You need to slash the wall tapestry beside the stand with the golden skull on it.

Nightwalkers tip should speed you on your way...one more thing I might add is to take down all the tapestrys....you never know what you might find...-SlyFoxx-

Finally finished Mystery Man - WHAT A RUSH!!!

(Major Mystery Man spoilers coming up) Phew, finally! I finished Mystery Man today with absolutely terrible stats!

Time: 3 hours 22 min 47 sec (heh, I fooled around alot; framed the servants by knocking them on the floor and putting knives from the kitchen in their hands)
    Loot: 10 945/ 15 369 (I loved the large amount of loot in this mission! And I missed almost 5 grand... that's enough to strap the cape back on and conquer the night again. Or maybe not, I do not dare to play MM again)
    23 backstabs and 39 KO's
    Damage dealt 5226 (that's twice as much as I dealt in Thief II!)
    Damage received: 29....(eeh, I'm not really the quickloading kind of guy...)

This FM had WAY too many puzzles IMO, but the ending was simply super! I was shaking the entire time.. This has got to be one of my top scariest and tense thief-moments. I was more scared than when I was hiding from zombies in St. Yoras!

I killed all four black-dressed guys when I entered the west tower, two of them with backstabs, the others in sword-fights... Ouch. The last room of the west tower was absolutely terrifying. The door slammed shut behind me and I read the book... "Look behind you"...

I strafed out of the way and a ball of fire flew past me The Mystery Man was coming on to me, but luckily he fell offthe edge of the platform and I had some time to find a hiding-place. I shot a rope arrow in some wood and hung there, scared to death. I heard the MM searching for me so I drank my invisibilty potion and backstabbed the bastard in the face!

He didn't like that and started chasing me. I ran downstairs and tried to kill him in a fair sword-fight... I hit him one or twice and he almost killed me. I ran away again with the MM breathing down my neck. Quickly I swallowed a speed potion I'd been saving and turned around with the sword in my hand. I made a backhand-slash aiming for his head and he slashed at me at the very same moment...

The screen froze for a second or two. It always does that before there's a loud sound... A bunch of thoughts past through my head during those seconds. Either I will scream or the MM will scream. It's him or me. The sound picked up and my sword slashed through the MM's head with a VERY satisfying sound. He moaned and fell to the floor, defeated. I had won! (with two health shields left)

I wanted to get outta there quick so I drank my last speed potion, ran past all the zombies on my way out and made a dashing jump over the pool, landing on the grass on the other side. I ran up to one of the rooms on the upper floors, rope arrowed to the ground near the back gate AND MY MISSION WAS FINALLY COMPLETED!

I give Mystery Man a 4/5... It was really cool to have a sort of "boss-arena" in a game like Thief, I had to use my brains, equipment and somewhat rusty swordskills to outwit the end boss!

Well, that's about it. Whew, I wrote a whole lot of stuff but I just needed to tell someone

-Burt

It sounds like you found the door, Burt. I agree that this is a really fun FM and if you find ALL the loot, let me know. The most I've ever found is a little over 13,000 and I'd love to know where the rest of it is.

Glad you liked it. Doaal is a really great fm maker and I had fun testing it for him. One thing I love most is the end! I wasn't scared since he had already told me about a dozen times that something creepy would happen in the end so I was prepared. But I did run like a mad rabbit for a while before I finally just turned around and hit the haunt, he kept bending over in pain and didn't attack so I just kept slashing at him till he died. That was before Doall had added the wooden roofed area for the rope arrows, too.

As for the loot. He hid it in some really secretive places. Like behind those large pillars in the entrance hall and various other secrets I'll let you find. Search every corner, you'd be surprised.

To me "Mystery Man" was the most fun I've had being a thief. I think It was beacause Garrett is like the cop and the robber at the same time.

Removing a public menace....as well as lining his own pockets.

Plus I really loved the whole key/hidden switch/puzzle deal.

Cool were the "reads" that ended with a surprise visitor.

------------------------SlyFoxx [Sly]

Anybody else who've played Mystery Man? Please, share your story; how did you defeat the Mystery Man?

Well, I'm playing The Keep now and it's a great mission. A big city with many places to explore, and different paths to everything. And you get to kill Ramirez

-Burt

How did I kill the Mystery Man? Well...

On normal, I did...something. I can't remember what. So much for those memory devices.

On expert, I jumped on the table to read the book (was it a book? I really have to play through this again), then jumped off the table to the floor below and scuttled to a shadow. For some reason, he fell off the ledge and just stood there. So I hit him with a couple of fire arrows, then I very carefully in regard to my own life and limb hacked at him with the sword. Then he suddenly became unstuck and ran like hell through the doors. After restarting my heart via the "electrical outlet defibrillator", I curiously followed, to find him dead by the outside pool. Weirder and weirder.

The details may be sketchy and/or erronous -- as I've said, it's been a while -- but it only happened once. I played through the read-book-avoid-death sequence again and what I described didn't happen a second time. I think it may have been a fluke. Oddly enough, these things don't happen to me in other games...

LOL, I guess he wanted one last dip in the pool

-Burt

That could be it. I also think it had something to do with the fire arrows: the guy's on fire, there's a pool outside...now what would've been hilarious is if I found him at the bottom of the pool.

Mystery Man

Hello! I'm making pretty good progress here, one of the hardest and most interesting FMs i've ever played, but I'm stuck. I know where i need to go but i'm out of water arrows! Does anyone know of any secret stashes in this one? I've looked just about every where but so far I've come up empty.

Thanks!

Knowing there was something about the sword that might hurt the MM I just kept evading him until I could sneek up on him. One stab to the back was all she wrote.
    ----------------------------------SlyFoxx- [Sly]

Mystery Man was indeed a superb fan mission!

How did I defeat the great bogey? Well, that was some time ago for me, but lessee... I believe I shot rope arrows into the roof of his lair and scampered up them whenever he came at me. Eventually, I was able to escape his lair and I ran like hell. He followed after me but couldn't find me. After he went into search mode I snuck up behind him and back-stabbed him. At least I think that's how I did it...

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: NoCokePepsi ]

The cool thing is that there were so many different options. Not just one way you had to kill him.
    And the design for that room was ingenious. (wink wink nudge nudge) Yes whoever built that part must have been a real master...(cough cough) hehe ok I'll stop now. Just having a little fun with you guys.

Silver Sorrow, that story gave me a good laugh. I wonder how it happened. I think the guy is invulnerable to all other attacks so it couldn't have been a guard attack. Parhaps he just wanted to have some fun before he died and jumped off the second story balcony and missed the pool.

help with "mistery man"

I can't find the talisman of fire!! where is it?
    Thanks

It's
    Spoiler:
    in the little library next to the dining room. You have to find the book, Song of Shadows (it's in there...just look on the shelves) and place it on the middle table. A door will then open, leading to the talisman. And um...be careful. Something won't like you messing with that book.

thanks Silver Sorrow!

No problem...and if anyone ever finds more than 13,769 loot on expert, don't rub it in, okay? [erg]

Glad everyone is enjoying my FM I haven't had much time lately to play Thief or make stuff with Dromed. Sorry Sharga Whenever I have some spare time I'll contact you and we can keep building our FM

damnsmooth_uk

Question re Mystery Man

Hi I've just completed Mystery Man on expert level, it took me 2 hours and 48 minutes according to the saves, but you can at least triple that!!!! Anyway after playing it for so long I've searched just about the entire house, but one place I couldn't get into is behind the centre banner at the top of the main hall. I had all the keys, none of them seemed to work and I couldn't pick the lock, does anyone know how to get in there.

P.S. Well done Doaal, I enjoyed that mission more than any in the original game, and found it much harder.

Spoiler:
    I've never found a way to get in there on Expert. On the Easy setting, you have fire arrows which allow you to destroy the banner, then you can rope arrow up and open the chest behind it. I've never gotten any fire arrows on Expert or found any other way to destroy the banner. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

I had a fire arrow in Expert level... don't ask me how I've got it... I don't remember where I found it

I restarted on Expert, just to check, and you can buy fire arrows at the beginning. I never do, though and I never found one in the mission.

That's where I found the fire arrow!! at the weapon shop!I didn't remember that

Help with Mystery Man--SPOILER

I searched the Mystery Man posts, but couldn't find help for what I need...

I'm playing on the lowest level (Taffer). I have the water and air talismans, Nina's Heart, two dining room keys, a front door key, and the treasury key. I don't know what to do now. I can't get into the door with the sign that says "no one admitted past this point", or the door in the library behind the false bookcase. I hear crying and wailing near the cells but can't tell where it's coming from. Can someone give me a hint to move me along? I slashed every tapestry I could and re-traced my steps several times, but I'm really stuck. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 18th Mar 2013 at 11:20. Reason: added
    Interrogation Technologist,
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126 ... LastLast