TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

Ok...I finally found it. Man, I must have combed those books ten times and not seen it. Of coarse, I got chopped up pretty quickly. Sorry for being so dense. I still like this map though.

No problem. I know how it is with hidden books. I hate entering libraries (not really ) because I always look over each and every book-case for hidden books and it takes quite some time.

Finally....all done. But 4100 missing loot!!!

Out of curiousity, was there a simple way of killing Necron. I had to do some fancy manuevering to finish him off. I got some crates and piled them at the entrance so the gate wouldn't close, providing me with an escape. Then I lured the spectre towards the pool and the double doors, whereupon I used the classic "close the door and hack away when he tries to get through" technique.

The loot issue I'll play around with, but not for long. I found the 2 chests behind the wall flags in the dining room, which was the motherlode that put me over the quota. I also found the gems resting on some slats which could only be accessed by dropping from the floor on the third level, above the exit gate.

The two inconsequential secret areas in the larger library where very annoying, only because I thought THEY held the answer to my problem from yesterday, that is the location of the Song Of Shadows book. I don't know how long I studied that skeleton; looking for a lever in his ribs or something.

Other than that, there must be only one or two chests filled with plenty of loot to accomodate the missing 4100. I can't believe I missed 4100 worth of little things here and there. Come to think of it, at the very beginning, outside in the garden maze area, was a open second or third floor window that you could rope up to, but had no exit inside. Did I miss something in here? A lever that opens a secret room with heaps of gold?

A very enjoyable, difficult game. This is a keeper.

There's loot scattered all over this mission in very strange places. You basically have to search everyplace you can put a rope arrow and a few that you can't to find it. There is about 1600 that is unattainable, but the rest is there. Just a couple of spots you might have missed:

spoiler:
    Did you climb up just inside the front door and frob the lever? It opens secret doors over under the steps in that front foyer area.
    When you're up in the area outside of the room where you get the Upper Floor key (where you can climb a ladder down to a balcony). If you drop down the hole in the floor, there are gems down there. Then you have to drop down to the floor below. You can do it without taking much damage.
    Also, check all the light fixtures for gems. You can rope arrow up to look in most of them. There's a ring out in the hedge maze on the ground.

The room you can rope arrow up to has an exit you can trigger with the crystal that you find, but it doesn't gain you any loot. It gets you into the "art room" by the back way.

That was really helpful. I found that lever just inside the front doors and it led me to lots of loot. And now I understand about those gold vases and that crystal shard.

One of the locations you mentioned I already referred to, but I guess I wasn't clear. I feel this level is complete now, even though I'm something like 2800 short of maximum. Why would whoever placed these things deliberately put them where they are unattainable. That is just discouraging. But its still a great mission.

Mystery Man Help Please

I'm stuck playing Rogue level. I have taken out nearly every guard and have about 5000 in loot and keys to the front door and the dining room. I must have missed a key--can't open the two doors off the library or one off the pool with the strange noises. Also a blue chest in the second floor bedroom. I did defeat the two creatures. I could use a small hint to get me started again.

There are lots of keys to find in this one, Daisy. You should be able to get two very easily at this point.
    spoiler:
    To find the Treasury key, go upstairs to the part with the private dining room. Just down the hall from that is a servant's room. If you read the book it says something about someone being missing and the room smelling bad. Yuck! Search the room carefully.

Also, out in the hallway at the top of the stairs, if you go through one of the other doors, you'll end up in a room with a nice big fireplace and an attached bathroom. Go into the fireplace and look up over your head.

Hopefully, that'll get you started again. This is a great mission!

Thanks, Nightwalker. Seems like I overlooked a door near the back gate. Making progress now.

Mystery Man

I just finished this FM. It was fairly hard and quite scary. I really enjoyed it but I have a question about the ending. The metal gate near the back exit seemed to need a key, but I hadn't found any, so I jumped out a window and blackjacked the two guards. Then I couldn't go through the wooden gate. I finally clicked on the metal gate again, on the other side, and the mission ended. This seemed a strange way to end the mission. Was there a key for the gate that I missed?

There's only a key for that gate on the easiest setting. On the others, you have to find the harder way out.

Does this "harder way out" involve cyberneic ninjas by any chance?

er... (has been playing too much MGS2)

nevermindski...

Mystery Man - Earth Talisman

I figured out I need to go in that door in the library. The earth talisman is the last thing I need. I read this from Nightwalker, but it makes no sense to me:

Earth Talisman -
    spoiler:
    "You go through the door that is behind the bookcase in the big library. In the throne room, at the end of the hall, you will find a lockbox behind the throne that unlocks with the Master's Key. Go back out the throneroom door and look to your right. You will see a new doorway, but it only stays open for a short time, so if you take to long, you have to go back and unlock the lock again."

Throne? Where the hell is a throne? I've certainly never seen it and I have every other objective. I'm playing on Expert BTW. Returning from that ice cavern, I heard a door slam shut, so I figure this was the bookcase, but I can't figure out how it was triggered.

In a room of to the side there is a switch. That should open the book case.
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

I'm playing on hard setting.

I found 3 talismans but not the earth one.

In the throneroom I unlocked 2 secret boxes, but I didn't come out in time for the secret passage (I didn't know that I had to run out...).
    Now the 2 boxes are unlocked....I cannot lock and unlock again....

I don't konw what I should do......

After searching and reading the forum....still I don't have ideas....

Please, Master Thieves, help a young taffer......

Always glad to help out a young taffer!

Are you sure you were in the throne room?? There's only one lockbox in there, that I know of. It's behind the secret bookcase in the big library, that you open with the lever in one of the small side rooms.

The lockbox behind the throne relocks itself when the door out in the hallway closes. Just go back in, use the key on it again and hurry back out into the hallway to get through the door. You really have plenty of time. You'll find the missing Talisman in that room. Good Luck!

Oh my experienced Master Thief...
    I think I'm a young and also stupid taffer.....'cause I really don't understand how to solve this quest

I've already blackjacked all guards and visit all rooms....but I still don't understand how to penetrate in the room near the throneroom (I think it MUST be the throneroom 'cause when Garrett enters he said "Mmh...this seems a throne-room!").
    So this is my situation: in a office-room near the "great library" I found a "switch" that open a secret passage in the great library. I entered the passage and found a close door . I opened it with a key and walked the corridor 'till I found the throneroom. On the left of it there is a wall with many books and I hear a guard inside. There must be a secret passage "throu the books"but I really cannot open it!!!!!!

.........what a desperate young taffer.........

PS: in the throneroom, I found the throne and 2 boxes (one on the left and one on the right of it). That's all!!! Nothing more......
    Last edited by Niner; 17th Apr 2002 at 09:34.

Patience, young taffer. You almost got it.

You are in the right place, and that wall of books is indeed where the secret door is. The keyhole is on the wall behind the throne, down near the floor. After you unlock it run like hell back to the secret door before it closes again.

Okay, that's where you're stuck. You have to lean around and look BEHIND the throne itself. You'll see a lockbox(small box with a keyhole on it) on the wall that you can unlock with the Master's key. Then hurry out and that bookcase that you noticed will be open, but only for a short time and then it closes again automatically. I hope that's clearer. This is a really fun mission and it would be a shame not to finish it when you've done so much!

That switch behind the throne is really well hidden. I had to resort to a walkthrough.

A walkthrough???

I know. I don't use walkthroughs for Thief. Now that I think about it, it was a question I had about how the mission ends that I found the answer for. I couldn't find it on the board. I did find the answer for the switch by doing a search here.
    Last edited by Daisy; 17th Apr 2002 at 16:54.

I beg your pardon, Master Thief.......

As I said before, maybe the only problem was myself.

Cause my bad english, in the throneroom, I was searching the lock between the throne and the door (on the pavement)!!!!
    Instead, the word "BEHIND" means that I must search between the throne and the wall!!!!!!!!!

OK, I think I'm ready for a "public shame-on-me" show......

I have a great admiration for the people who love Thief enough to play it when their first language isn't English!

It's hard enough for those of us who grew up speaking English to figure out some of the clues!! You're doing great and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have problems figuring anything out. We'll always do our best to help.

Made it!

Very good mission.

We (me and my dictionary) love Thief since 1998.

If a wanna have a good day, I really need to play it.....despite my english.

And now that I discovered a mine of FM.....nothing can stop us (me, my dictionary.... and my bad english)

FM: The Mysterx Man

I've been to the almost all parts of the house (except talbot's room upper flooer and the tower and i' m stuck with the water-in-the-kitchen-riddle so please.......anyone willing ti help?

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast