TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: My first FM "The Mystery Man" released! (26/03/2001)

Mystery Man is the BOMB!

I'm glad you got this little bug fixed.
    I think you'll enjoy Mystery Man.
    It's one of my very favorite TDP fan missions.
    Very, very cool. Enjoy!

You have at your disposal the best way to subdue ai, and you want a PATCH to fix it?! >=O

hehe, jk.

Mystery man help please

I am stuck in the Mystery man thief 1 mission. Is there a walkthrough somewhere? I have all the loot I need but don't know how to find other items. I also don't have access to western tower, treasury, etc. Thanks for any help.

There isn't a walkthrough but there are lots of post about it that probably have most of the help you'll need. There is also a very well written FAQ thread here that is terrific.

Mystery Man, The

I've got the golden plate and the "the song of the shadow" and I just don't what to do with them.
    I also have to find fire and water talisman, where are them?

Please, may you help me?

PS: (I'm playing in "expert" level)

For other answers I did a FAQ for this one.

The gold plate
    spoiler:
    needs to be droped in the kitchen sink

The other is a book IIRC?
    spoiler:
    place it on the table in the small library

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ht=mystery+man

Thank you.

T1 Mystery Man: Okay, I Give Up

Hey there,

Can I get some help on this fan mission:

spoiler:
    Where oh where is that Earth Talisman? I have the first three and I've checked every room several times over!

Thanks in advance.

Okay, finished it yesterday. Wow, it just seemed to keep going and going; I know I'm going to have nightmares about having to frob every object in sight when I enter a room (lol).

Great mission, liked the design and architecture of the mansion, definitely a confrontational-type mission (I think I had to kill 11 guys and got killed a multitude of times myself). It started running out of gas for me when I had to go into the same rooms time and again to figure out the next move, since certain objectives don't provide alot of clarity of what you need to do; for example:

spoiler:
    finding the air talisman in that room in the back foyer with the treasury key. I didn't remember seeing its whereabouts written on a scroll or in a book, so I had to cheat by finding the resolution online.

I thought the ambient music was a bit overused; each one fit the mood of the room well, but there seemed to be very few areas that had that nice, foreboding silence. Monsters were pretty cool, but I haven't played too many other FM's up to this point, so I'm not sure if these were specific to this particular mission.

spoiler:
    Those throbbing lights were driving me nuts, and they were everywhere! Good for gameplay, I guess, but they got annoying after a while.

Overall, I really liked it, but it felt like a gazillion subquests thrown into one, and by the end of it I just wanted to finish the thing. If it had been trimmed down some, It would have been fantastic rather than just great.

2 Mystery Man questions

Newbie here ! Thief Deadly Shadows was my intro to computer gaming when it came out originally , always loved the game ! Then this past month I discovered this community with fan missions , unreal ! All those years I had no idea ?
    I have downloaded and have almost finished Mystery Man . I have read all the tips and pointers I could find on this site . So here are the questions .

In Hectors room there is a painting that lights up and the tips say I am supposed to FROB it , what does that mean ? I have clicked on it , smashed it with my sword , shot fire arrows at it etc ... all to no avail . I really have no idea what frob means .

In a small library room there is an empty slot in the bookshelves , where I believe the book "Song of the Shadows" is supposed to go . I cannot find this book . I have been everywhere I think , even in the West Tower .

BTW I think this is an awesome FM one of my firsts , I have a lot of catching up to do .

Master Builder 2018
    Welcome to the forum, marsman! Nice to have you here. To "frob" means to face an object until it highlights and then click the right mouse button. That is also how you "use" an item in the game, for example a key.

Hi marsman and welcome to TTLG. I don't have the answers I'm afraid but there do seem to be many posts for the Mystery Man. And here's one thread http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ht=Mystery+Man that might be able to help you out. Alternatively, go to Search Thread and type Book Shadows, you'll find a whole heap of posts about it.

On the other hand, someone with a monumental memory might just drop by.

Tannar! This is the second time today someone's posted at the exact same time as I did.

1. Frob means to use. When something in the game like coins highlights, you frob it to take them. It's a thief term..lol

2. Some things depend on the difficulty level you are playing on. I usually play normal or hard and there can big alot of differences. Hard and expert dificulty will have you do more objectives, open other areas of a mission, and generally make things harder for the more experienced player. I tell you this so you will understand that you may not need the book to finish.

On normal I never needed the book to finish the mission. What do you still have left to do?

Edit: Dang we all responed at once..lol

Just like buses!

But you were just a tad slow there Stingm.

But I missed the 'frob' bit.
    Last edited by nickie; 6th Feb 2011 at 13:49.

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses ! Okay I now know what frob means . I have frobbed the painting and it is not doing a thing except highlighting . I might need to quit and restart the game . I had a similar problem earlier in the game where under the dining room table I could see a ladder down to a room but I could not get to it . I quit last night and restarted this morning and voila the middle of the dining room table rotated so I could go through the table . As far as where I am in the game , the only objective I have left according to the game is to confront the Master or Mystery Man , though I know that I have not successfully frobbed that painting and I have not put the book in the shelf in the library .

I forgot to mention I am playing on the easy or Taffer level this first time around .

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    You must find the crystal upstairs, and then use it to open the secret painting door.

Marsman,

Though you apparently are currently just doing T3 FM's - if you can get T2 - DO IT!

Not only is T2 a great Thief game in and of itself - it also has about 100 times more FM's
    than T3 does!

And many many many of them are even better than the orig game!

darthslair - I did that already , that was the painting in the gallery with the noises coming from it . This is the on in Hectors room (I think) just off of the main library behind the secret moving bookshelf .

Garret's Shadow - My bad again , what I meant was the original Thief 1 , I am so behind the times , I think I am the original caveman . Anyhow I will probably start some T2 FMs this upcoming week .

Thanks again for your responses !

Welcome to the forum, Marsman!

The dining room table opens when you put Alexei's gold plate in the kitchen sink.

Empty book slot That is used only on Expert.

Locked door behind the bookshelf That requires the Master's Key which you may not have found yet.

This is a very complex mission but lots of fun as well, with loot hidden absolutely everywhere in the weirdest places. I have a walkthrough written for the easy level. If you'd like a copy of it so you can check it when you get stuck, just email me. Otherwise, keep asking questions here and we'll help you out. Have fun!

Nightwalker - Thanks , okay so I ignore the book slot , the other 2 I got . I guess I just have to figure out why that one painting will not open when I try to frob it , and then meet the Mystery Man and I should be done !

..and get through the mirror !

I got it ! Thanks everyone . That was one bad..s mission !
    Next week T2 missions !

Quote Originally Posted by marsman View Post
    I got it ! Thanks everyone . That was one bad..s mission !
    Next week T2 missions !
    Welcome to the community!
    Since you're starting FM's, here's a few I'd recommend:

T1/TG
    Autumn in Lampfire Hills
    Calendra's Cistern
    Prowler of the Dark
    Shunned
    Events in Highrock

T2
    Bad Debts
    Disorientation
    Calendra's Legacy
    Rowena's Curse
    Ominous Bequest and it's sequel, Broken Triad
    The Rocksbourg series
    Deceptive Perceptions
    The Inverted Manse

T3
    The Bridge
    All the World's a Stage

Plus a ton of great missions I've forgotten.
    There is a thread here that lists a lot of FM's by type (City, Mansion, Castle, Horror, etc)
    www.thiefmissions.com is a great place to search for missions.
    Have fun losing sleep.
    Last edited by DirtyBurrick; 9th Feb 2011 at 01:50.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728 LastLast