TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing speedruns in TDP, TG and TMA

Hehe, sweet memories: I remember well when deadman found out that Jenivere can be made to open the door herself by making noises with the sword, and how I ran around the area banging the sword everywhere until I could reproduce Azals feat. That must have been around '02. Today it seems to be simple routine to do it reliably.

P.S.: Ah here's the old thread:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62040&s=

Well I beat his Running Interference time by 1 second so I guess I have the new world record. I actually got a 1:05 once, but I was having a recording issue at the time so I may revisit it.

Proof:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYyNRfbB-38

Well done Taffer!

Not only is it the "new world record"....

Nice job on the archer. Replete with loot grab outro.

Just a quick question: was keyholing fixed in NewDark? I'm attempting a single-segment speedrun of TG with NewDark and I'm currently practicing the Mage Towers. The best way to quickly finish the Mage Towers is to rush to the tower of fire and open the door from the central keep, but unfortunately I can't seem to be able to keyhole. I gotta say I didn't try before since none of the previous missions 'require' you to do this, but by going through each tower you lose maybe 8 or 10 mins.

Zombified
    as far as I know, most exploits are actually possible because of bugs in the old engine. as NewDark fixes those, the chance your favorite glitch won't be there for you to exploit are pretty high.

I recorded a single segment speedrun of TG tonight on twitch.tv, which is stored here: http://www.twitch.tv/skacky/c/2513024
    The quality is pretty piss-poor but that's better than nothing.

I imposed myself an arbitrary estimated time of 1:05:00, and it's done in 1:02:14 using version 1.21. There's lots of room for improvement but since most of the glitches were fixed in ND it's a lot harder to speedrun some of the missions (most notably Assassins and The Mage Towers). Blockjacking doesn't work anymore in Assassins and keyholing seems to be impossible in The Mage Towers. I also had to look around for a new route in Return to the Cathedral since I can't really risk throwing myself on objects to get out of bounds in a single segment run. I was extremely lucky in Cragscleft and Strange Bedfellows overall. I quite screwed Bafford, Song of the Caverns (I'm 20 seconds late) Escape! and Strange Bedfellows. I'm still very happy this went so smoothly though.

Just bumping this thread with several things I found out during my practice sessions:

- It's still possible to keyhole with NewDark. Keyholing the very first door in the training mission is extremely easy, however I've been unsuccessful on all other doors that have a thicker doorframe. I've been trying for hours to keyhole the door of the fire tower in The Mage Towers to no avail, while I managed to do it in my DDFix'd OldDark TG version. The thing is Garrett 'sticks' to wall angles in NewDark when leaning, whereas the movement was fluid and Garrett wasn't stuck in OldDark. I'd like someone who's intimate with keyholing to try on this door with NewDark and see if it's possible, I must confess keyholing isn't something I'm a master at.
    - Getting Felix's map through the wall/safe is still possible, this saves me the trouble of going for the key. I thought that bug was fixed but I was happy to see it's still possible to do it.
    - The helicopter sword/blackjack doesn't work at all in NewDark indeed, while it's very easily replicated in OldDark.
    - New mantle does wonders in RttC combined with object stacking. My record is nowhere near the world record, but without resorting to a very very dangerous object boost to get out of bounds I managed to finish it in under a minute pretty much unscathed.

So, I'm still up to beat my single segment record, but I wasn't in the best shape tonight and failed repeatedly. If I managed to keyhole through that fire tower door, I'm pretty sure I could get my time from 1:02 to 52-55 minutes, easily.

Bumping this thread once again with two amazing speedruns. First, the amazing Xmodule999 beats my single-segment run of TDP by 4 minutes. My run lasts 37:26 while his lasts 33:50. This is a huge improvement!
    Xmodule999's run:

My run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=LjkPQDKlpAA

So awesome...

That's amazing.

Has anyone actually ever compiled lists of WR speedruns? It would be fun to see different categories like TDP, TG, TMA (and let's not forget TDS), Easy and expert, single mission or whole game

Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    Has anyone actually ever compiled lists of WR speedruns? It would be fun to see different categories like TDP, TG, TMA (and let's not forget TDS), Easy and expert, single mission or whole game
    As for TDP, I believe xmodule999 has all those world records. TG & TMA have assorted record holders. I haven't looked into TDS yet, but I think it's safe to assume it has assorted record holders as well. Here's a few links to look at:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71594
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/ThiefDarkProject.html
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/Thief3.html

Given youtube is a more mainstream route to upload these types of videos your best bet to find the most current records would be to search there.

TL;DR - No, there isn't a current list of all the record holding times for each Thief game.

Xmodule has the records for all missions for TG except Return to the Cathedral if I remember right. I think Popemaster09 has it.

Popemaster09 has started a speedrun of TDS if anyone's interested.
    In the meantime I have beaten my previous TDP SS record, which was 37:26. It's now 34:46, still far from Xmodule's time of 33:50.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    The helicopter sword/blackjack doesn't work at all in NewDark indeed, while it's very easily replicated in OldDark.
    This bug works with NewDark, and the same like in OldDark it's very easily replicated in NewDark. In a slightly different style of course.
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 1st Aug 2014 at 08:31.

Hmm then you'll have to explain to me because no matter what I try I can't get it to work.

I've been meaning to ask, how do you guys play TDP? Are you using an old disc based copy updated with NewDark? Do you use the GoldtoDark mod? It seems like it would be hard to get the original Dark Project running with anything other than the GoldtoDark mod.

Hmm technically using GoldToDark is only a way for people who only have a Thief Gold copy available to downgrade it, but it doesn't make it easier to get the original game working in any way. In fact if you have some 1.37 variant of Thief Gold that is not patched with NewDark, you'll get downgraded to 1.33, which will most likely be less stable on modern hardware.

If you have issues running the game, you still should either use the old pre-NewDark techniques (such as installing with the -lgntforce parameter, restricting the processor affinity, perhaps patching with ddfix for textures…) or apply TFix.

Quote Originally Posted by Constance View Post
    Hmm technically using GoldToDark is only a way for people who only have a Thief Gold copy available to downgrade it, but it doesn't make it easier to get the original game working in any way...
    Oh right, that makes sense. It's been forever since I applied any of those old fixes. I'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Hmm then you'll have to explain to me because no matter what I try I can't get it to work.
    I've been trying to learn how to do this trick with 1.21. All I've been able to learn from thief-forum.pl is that it requires the blackjack, sword and any lockpick. That is all bob has said on the matter as far as I know. Maybe I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Also I've seen him use a potion instead of a lockpick, and I've seen him use just the sword and the blackjack for breaking his fall. How does the OldDark version of the trick work? Maybe I can deduce what's going on in his videos if I understand that. It seems auto spamming the blackjack is key.

That glitch in OldDark is very simple, you just have to draw your sword or blackjack, hit attack, immediately holster it while the animation plays and draw it again. Takes only a second. As soon as you holster it again you will collide with it and it will break your fall. You can draw/holster as many times as you want as long as you don't blackjack someone (very easy with this glitch), in that case you'll have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by yxlplig View Post
    I've been trying to learn how to do this trick with 1.21. All I've been able to learn from thief-forum.pl is that it requires the blackjack, sword and any lockpick.
    Blackjack and at least one lockpick, sword is not required.

Only need to keep attack button (while blackjack is in hand) and click "Tab" for some times. Enough info?

Erm, the training mission in Thief 1 has a glitch in the area that you train with the bow and arrow, that when you climb up that tree and to the balcony above the metal door where you will use the key, you can jump to the direction from where you entered the area (from where you learned to avoid metal floors) and you can skip the entire section without picking up the bow and arrow and without picking up the sword and key. It would've made that run go like 30 seconds faster.

I can confirm that Xmodule's method works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Loup View Post
    Erm, the training mission in Thief 1 has a glitch in the area that you train with the bow and arrow, that when you climb up that tree and to the balcony above the metal door where you will use the key, you can jump to the direction from where you entered the area (from where you learned to avoid metal floors) and you can skip the entire section without picking up the bow and arrow and without picking up the sword and key. It would've made that run go like 30 seconds faster.
    I found that out too sometime ago. It's fun up there on the roofs But it's extremely hard to do consistently. It took several tries every time for me at least.

This method was discovered by me at 13.07.2014, so because of day (today - anniversary of this discovery) I decided to release this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XhseUa1HY ). Example for the sword and the blackjack, how to use it. Did somehow know, how to disable blockade while flying? It starts at the moment 0:11. I know that only need to disable new_mantle, but if I need new_mantle? Possible?
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 13th Jul 2015 at 12:23.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast