TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KDScript 0.7.0 (2013-09-01): new script module, now with tutorials

Island of Sorrow 2013
    Nice fog properties KD! KDTrapFog

Er, I have a little question (perhaps I am still not DromEd-y enough, or it is simply a language barriere)... I do not understand KDSyncGlobalFog.
    What does it do exactly? What does it mean, it "keeps colour or distance of global fog synchronized with the current room's fog zone"? I do not understand "synchronized" in this context for some reason. It would be very nice if someone could explain it to me...

I'm glad that version 0.7.0 is working for everyone. The next version is underway, with some actual new scripts as indicated. (Right now I'm doing some work on A Nice Game of Chess 2 to help test the various new features I'm working on for KDScript.)

Quote Originally Posted by Notesthes View Post
    Er, I have a little question (perhaps I am still not DromEd-y enough, or it is simply a language barriere)... I do not understand KDSyncGlobalFog.
    What does it do exactly? What does it mean, it "keeps colour or distance of global fog synchronized with the current room's fog zone"? I do not understand "synchronized" in this context for some reason. It would be very nice if someone could explain it to me...
    When Le Corbeau added zone-based fog to NewDark, they weren't able to change the NewSky system to use the fog zones. Instead, NewSky always uses the global fog setting. (See the "IMPORTANT" paragraph in the "Fog Zones" section of modders_notes.txt.) For some missions, this is not a problem, but for others it means that the fog on objects and terrain would not match the fog on the sky. KDSyncGlobalFog takes care of that by changing the global fog settings (on the sky) to match the settings of whatever fog zone the player is currently inside. The global settings are updated whenever the player moves into a new fog zone, and whenever KDTrapFog (if it's being used) changes the zone settings.

Aha, I undestand. Thank you for the explanation.

Please note: I've found a regression in version 0.7.0 which could cause KDOptionalReverse to prematurely mark an optional reverse objective as complete upon load of a saved game under some circumstances. The issue will be fixed in the next version. Sorry about that!

Not the optional reverse objective! Egads, man!

I set up a stat-meter using kdstatmeter (it's working fine). Now I want to change/customize the shields and the visbility meter. I read the tutorial, but I don't know how to point to a bitmap-path in the design note (I wrote "stat_meter_image=\bitmap\shield.gif" and tried some more things). But this isn't working.

Edit: I had to remove "\". It's working now. The visibiliy meter is more complicated.

I wan't to switch off the HUD temporarily. That's what this is actually all about. I linked via switch/CD, but this wouldn' work.
    Last edited by fibanocci; 4th Jan 2014 at 11:03.

You have to send StatMeterOn or StatMeterOff messages via NVRelayTrap. Thats what I would guess after short skimming through the text.

Another option that first came to my mind sicne everything is done by DesignNote parameters you could out these into a Metaproperty and remove that metaproperty when you want to remove the HUD. Use NVMetaTrap.

Just ideas no guarantee.

First, I tried it with NVRelayTrap. It doesn't work (btw, NVScripts are used elsewhere).

There's something strange about the StatMeter. If I put StatMeterOn or StatMeterOff in the design note of the (Healthmeter)-marker, it doesn't make much difference (the statmeter is alway "on").

This is what monolog tells me

[ 0.001] KDStatMeter [2486]: Warning: Neither a quest variable nor a property was specified; the stat meter will not be displayed.
    But it is displayed. All the time.
    Last edited by fibanocci; 4th Jan 2014 at 11:39.

You have to convert a TurnOff message via NVRelayTrap (NVRelayTrapTOff="StatMeterOff") and sent it to the script object. (Or TurnOn with NVRelayTrapTOn="StatMeterOff" if thats easier)

Your Trigger -- TurnOn -> NVRelayTrap -- StatMeterOff -> The Marker.

Ofc if you use a NVTrigger you can skip the RelayTrap and use [NVscriptname]TOff directly. Cd links should be standard.

Muchas gracias

Now I have to set up that custom visibility meter.

Want to post your settings?

An object is switching the player to another person with S&R, it also removes health bar and visibility gem

object-->Marker/NVRelayTrap (Design Note: NVRelayTrapTOn="StatMeterOff")-->Marker/Health Bar (Design Note:
    Code:
    stat_source_property=HitPoints; stat_source_object=Player; stat_meter_style=units; stat_meter_position=sw; stat_meter_offset_x=6; stat_meter_offset_y=-6; stat_meter_orient=horiz; stat_meter_height=10; stat_meter_width=18; stat_meter_spacing=4; stat_color_low=#660000; stat_color_med=#333300;stat_color_high=#003300;stat_meter_image=bitmap\txt16\shield.gif
    Another object switches back to Garrett

object-->Marker/NVRelayTrap (Design Note: NVRelayTrapTOn="StatMeterOn"-->Marker/Health Bar (Design Note is the same as in the KD-Script Demo, since I haven't tweaked it yet)

Well, now I'd like to have a second health bar for the other person. Any ideas?

KDScript provides for subtitles so I must ask:

1) Is anyone is working on a subtitle string file for the LGS original schemas?

2) I don't see a way for a player to turn off subtitles if they don't want to see them short of deleting the strings\subtitles.str file. Is that right?
    Subtitles are taken from the strings\subtitles.str file, where they are identified by schema name; if no subtitle is present for a schema, nothing will be shown.
    3) Is the alignment of start time automagic, or is there a (undocumented?) parameter to allow individual specification under mission author control?
    KDSubtitledVO: Align the start time of the sound and subtitle more precisely.
    Last edited by LarryG; 24th Jan 2014 at 18:39.

I have a suggestion. I wanted to change the inventory to a RPG-like system we can use in System Shock 2. I guess it's not possible to take over.
    Is there any chance to achieve something similar by the HUD-elements that the kdau-scripts provide? I know, there's no script for stuff like the inventory yet.

BUMP:

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    KDScript provides for subtitles so I must ask:

1) Is anyone is working on a subtitle string file for the LGS original schemas?
    I guess not. So If I do, I won't be duplicating any work already done.

2) I don't see a way for a player to turn off subtitles if they don't want to see them short of deleting the strings\subtitles.str file. Is that right?
    Is there any way that KDScript can be enhanced to read a config var defined at the top of strings\subtitles.str which turns off subtitles for the player? That seems a better solution than deleting the file.

3) Is the alignment of start time automagic, or is there a (undocumented?) parameter to allow individual specification under mission author control?
    Can the alignment of the start of a subtitle be placed under mission author control?

I guess this is related to the kdau-scripts, so ask here.

I made a custom health bar and and a custom gem using KDStatmeter. It's working fine in DromEd and if I load the zipped mission in FMSel/thief2.exe, it's working as well.
    If I save the mission and reload a savegame, the HUD-elements are vanished. They're gone. If I restart the mission, the HUD-elements are displayed again.

I also included a modified dark.cfg in the zip (since I had to edit it). With or without a custom dark.cfg, the HUD is vanished after reloading a savegame. This makes no difference.

Sounds like the data is not getting saved, or it's getting saved but Thief does not know to load that information upon loading your save game. I wouldn't know how that'd get fixed though, or if it's possible? kdau?

I'm also curious how the subtitle system works.

It also happens in the kdscript-demo as well. I never reloaded in the Demo, so I didn't realize.

I don't know if you'll get an answer from kdau. I PM'd him a few months ago, with no response.

Greetings all! I'm sorry I've been away for so long; real life has just been too busy this year. Here are my initial responses to everything that has been posted here since January. There are already significant unpublished changes waiting from late last year, including a fix for the most recent bug. I'm going to prepare an updated version for release in the next week or so. I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to add much new functionality anytime soon, though.

fibanocci: I gather that your issues from early January were resolved. (Daraan, thanks for helping.)

On the RPG-like inventory idea: it should be possible to create a HUD overlay-based replacement display for the inventory, though it would be a good bit of work. The interaction couldn't be changed much, though, as it's very hard for scripts to intercept clicks and keypresses in the T1 and T2 builds of the engine. (SS2, as you might expect, is much more full-featured that way.)

On your new issue this month: oops! This is a bug that I accidentally introduced in version 0.7.0. I had already fixed it last fall, in the code that will become version 0.8.0 shortly.

LarryG: (1) Good idea. I subtitled a tiny smattering of original schemas while testing the scripts, but I never contemplated a full subtitling of the games.

(2) I originally conceived the subtitle scripts for AIs that would be speaking a fictional language, so subtitles would have been mandatory and an on/off switch unnecessary. It's a good idea, though, and should take minimal effort to implement, so I'll put it on the list.

(3) The alignment I was referring to was the "Initial Delay" property on schemas, which LGS mostly used to align Garrett VOs to world events without an extra timed relay. The Dark Engine's sound timing is rather wacky in general, so the alignment will never be better than approximate.

EDIT: Sorry, missed a question:
    sNeaksieGarrett: The subtitle system is split between AI speech and Garrett VOs. For AIs, there is a temporary property that tracks the most recent speech schema, so KDSubtitledAI triggers subtitles by monitoring that property for changes. Since VOs are played by traps, KDSubtitledVO just rides along on the same traps and responds to TurnOn events.

Btw, the demo mission does not load with Darkloader. I'm guessing that mean the script isn't loading, and that missions using kdscript won't work in Darkloader?

@brethren: The Demo is working in Darkloader, no problem here. OS: Win7 64bit/WinXP

@kdau: Thanks for your replies. So I'm waiting for version 0.8.

I already made a custom HUD that's changing it's look in the game. This is actually pretty complicated, but it's possible.
    Please drop in from time to time, your help is much appreciated

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast