TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tangiers - Indie stealth game on Kickstarter, inspired by Thief

Yes, big time congrats. Had my doubts it would make it for a while, but it's awesome that it did. Looking forward to the game.

I'm glad you guys hit your funding goal!

Looks like the game is up on Steam Greenlight, be sure to vote for it there.

We did it! I was at a convention when it happened, asking anyone with a smartphone every 15 minutes to check for me... Asked one guy, he turned around and it was Kieron Gillen himself who gave me the good news made my day proper like that did

Just WOW, it seems Nightmare Before Christmas meeting Alan Wake for the art direction

Congratulations Alex! I'm really looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Admittedly I didn't really give notice to this, I've not been on the forums much, until DrK told me. And now, I kinda regret not donating (even if admittedly I'm not made of money and it only would've been a goodwill gesture).
    Good news! You can still donate via Paypal for a limited time: http://tangiersgame.com/paypal/

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    I just noticed, 2 days ago Alex posted a backers only update where he details the budget and the roadmap of the project. He may post them on the official website for everyone to see.

I really appreciate the transparency of his approach, and it should be an example to every indie dev. You feel your money is in good hands.
    Overall it seems realistic, he just skipped the promotion aspect but he has some leftovers in his budget so not a big deal.

Thanks a lot for this Alex

New trailer - this game just look really bizarre and different, but in a very cool way.

"Sandbox stealth" of Thief?

I don't recall Thief 1 & 2 being exactly sandboxes, and TDS wasn't really one either (in only 2 spots could you choose which mission to perform first, )

Nice to hear about more Thief-y games coming out, though. They'll never really replace thief, but then again, they don't exactly have to.

By sandbox stealth he doesn't mean a sandbox game. He means non-linear stealth gameplay.

This is not meant to be Thief. It's a different game that draws some inspirations from Thief, but even more so from avant-garde.

TDS was pretty sandboxy, though -- it had a reputation system with the factions and a city hub with little side-missions and respawning enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    By sandbox stealth he doesn't mean a sandbox game. He means non-linear stealth gameplay.

This is not meant to be Thief. It's a different game that draws some inspirations from Thief, but even more so from avant-garde.

TDS was pretty sandboxy, though -- it had a reputation system with the factions and a city hub with little side-missions and respawning enemies.
    It had sandbox elements, but the side missions seemed more like an afterthought than real side missions.

Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting try & I did enjoy the game.

I did not enjoy the TDS sandbox gameplay one bit. It's an interesting idea on paper, but it turned out to be little more than an obstacle course between missions. Not to mention that the faction mechanics were simply idiotic, having fanatical members of a religion that passionately hates thieves suddenly fight the city watch because Garrett shot a few bugs.

Thief's biggest strength has been an incredibly focused game design with the resources planned and accounted for by the level designers to a large degree. As an additional bonus, having a finite amount of loot makes it more valuable to the player and the scarcity of resources incentivises the player to explore potentially dangerous side areas.

Just got an update on Tangiers via email, a couple of noteworthy items:

1) Sounds like the game is on the verge of going into beta testing. I didn't pledge enough to get access to that, but I'm still glad it's heading in the right direction.

2) They are leaning (strongly from the sound of it) towards moving to a first person perspective. They've already done some of the ground work on this, and included some screenshots.

Very glad about #2 above - for a game that was so Thief inspired, I was always surprised with the decision to use 3rd person. Hopefully they'll stick with 1st now.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Whoa nice, I asked him about it a few days after the kickstarter campaign finished, back then he wanted to keep the 3rd person view so the players would always keep an eye on the character, to see its behavior with the surroundings. If he finally goes to 1st person view, it will have a much better impact on gameplay and immersion imo.

The game's web site is currently not working. Hope that's not a bad sign.

New trailer with release dates for both beta and retail.
    https://youtu.be/8s3F2P-OMLQ

Well it's weird. I'll give them that.
    Probably for the best... Surreal worlds and stealth gameplay fit like peas in a pod.

My backer email says that they toned down the surrealism for the trailer. Oh God.

It's great news that they're back on track - but isn't it a little unrealistic (and unorthodox) to have a release date when beta testing hasn't even started yet?

It's basically Luis Buñuel's Thief. I dig.

There's been an update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...81170#comments

I'm obviously hoping that they can finish this game, but I hope even more that the developer won't grind himself up completely, endangering his wellbeing and health. No game is worth that.

After a long silence, there's been a recent update on Tangiers, and it sounds like the game has finally secured a firm foundation: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3018773

In short, Jessica Harvey has fully resumed developing Tangiers along with her co-workers at Arbitrary Metric, following the surreal horror indie game Paratopic they made back in 2018. The revenue and experience they gained from Paratopic are being dedicated to finishing Tangiers, with the intent of making it well-worth the many delays. Lately, their priority has been to fix up Tangiers's messy codebase, so don't expect the game for a while yet.

Best of luck, Jess! I hope your health is much better now, and that your dedication to this project will result in something you are truly proud of!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12