TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangiers - Indie stealth game on Kickstarter, inspired by Thief

Tangiers - Indie stealth game on Kickstarter, inspired by Thief

There's some talk about this over in GenGaming, but just thought I'd mention a game called Tangiers to everyone here. It's currently looking for funding through Kickstarter, and it's a stealth game heavy inspired by Thief. Here's a couple of blurbs from the Kickstarter page:

Tangiers is a blend of stealth and exploration for Windows, Mac and Linux built within the Unity engine.

Using the sandbox stealth of Looking Glass Studio's Thief series as the base of Tangiers, we're looking to build a world inspired by, embodying and adapting the alternative avant-garde of the 20th century.

Writers such as Burroughs and Ballard, artists within the Dada movement and the music and textures of Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and David Lynch all drive us. They are our motivations - often oblique, sometimes in open reference.
    You play an outsider to the world, an entity with a singular, enigmatic goal - to find and dispose of five other beings. Your arrival here has fractured the world; the city that these other beings resided in is now broken into shards across a broken, bleak landscape.

You must infiltrate these cities, searching to discover your marks - investigating both precisely who, and where.
    Keeping to the shadows is to be encouraged - reality here is a fragile place. Your interactions with the world cause it to fall apart. In homage to Burrough's cut-up technique, the world collapses and rebuilds itself the more you interact with it - future areas rebuilt with the fragments and personality of places you mistreated. From this every play-through will, subtly or drastically, be unique to you.
    Check it out here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ealist-stealth

Edit: And since we're at it, here's another Thief-inspired stealth title that's already been funded by Kickstarter, due out this fall, It's called "Sir, You Are Being Hunted," in case you haven't heard of it. What can I say, I get all excited when I see games with light gems (Tangiers has one too):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-being-hunted

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen the thread.

Good thing I did a search about this before making a thread. I am loving the aesthetic on display in this game, and it's only an alpha!

This video for example really highlights how very "thiefy" the atmosphere is, I thought he was making this in the Dark engine for a moment due to how similar the audio is.

Can't wait to see more.

Classical Master 2008
    The audio also reminded me very much of Thief, and I like where the game is going. It is an audacious project, but I want to believe in it, so I handed in my Ł20.

Same as Melan. This video alone looks a thousand times more promising than Thi4f.

I can definitely see myself supporting this. I love seeing people who dare taking a risk by creating something out of the ordinary and I really feel like taking a risk myself by donating as much as I can spare. That and what everyone else have already said.

I suppose those character models are just placeholders?

I noticed a Linux version is planned. The last time I checked there was no Unity engine for Linux but apparently that's not true any more.
    I think I might donate simply because of the following quoted from the Kickstarter page -
    Has not connected Facebook
    By the by if you're confused about what I said about Unity I am not talking about Ubuntu Unity - they are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIEZER View Post
    I suppose those character models are just placeholders?
    Yes and no. As I understand it, they will be improved on, but the look/shape is intended.

I supported Tangiers after reading about it on Penny-Arcade Report last week:
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...ity-of-tangier

Let's make it happen!

This looks absolutely amazing.

I really hope the guys hit their goal so this can see the light of day (no pun intended).

They got my pledge. It looks bloody awesome!

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    They got my pledge as well, sounds extremely promising.

Hey, thanks for supporting us everyone
    (Long time TTLG lurker - I think back to 2001/2002)

RE: Character models. Not fully placeholders, but we'll be reworking them + the animations quite a bit. Still going to be keeping the general form to them, though.

Good to see more people are pledging.

I've upped my pledge, because this sounds really interesting, both stylistically and in terms of gameplay. Internet, you better not disappoint me now by failing to fund this!

Hi Alex, best of luck with reaching your target. Tangiers certainly looks like it could be something very special and unique. Also as a huge fan of Throbbing Gristle I can't wait to hear the soundtrack. Just one question though. Why is you game named after a city in North Morocco?

Best of luck to you, Alex.
    I'll be shouting it out on my YouTube channel and website. Looks like a very interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Taffsalot View Post
    Why is you game named after a city in North Morocco?
    I don't want to answer for Alex, but in case he isn't around any time soon, I think it's the William S. Burroughs link (the game's inspired by Burroughs, IIRC): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...roughs#Tangier.

Still Subjective
    It's the Bug Powder Dust!
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I don't want to answer for Alex, but in case he isn't around any time soon, I think it's the William S. Burroughs link (the game's inspired by Burroughs, IIRC): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...roughs#Tangier.
    That's the one. Thought I'd be clever and name it after the influence of our influence.

886 to go!

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    And it's funded ! Congrats Alex
    That's gonna be a great game.

Tangiers got successfully funded!
    Ninja'd by DrK, heh.

Congratulations Alex! I've been anxiously watching the numbers creep up all week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast