TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gone Home - FP Adventurey Nostalgemup

Gone Home - FP Adventurey Nostalgemup

http://www.gonehomegame.com/

The new darling of the indie set is here apparently.
    You've probably noticed it on RPS and places of that sort. You're a teenage girl arriving back from a gap year jaunt in 1995 to find the rest of the family has disappeared. You search around the big old family home on a dark and stormy night to piece together what happened.
    It sounds like a horror/mystery set up but its mostly an 'emotional journey' is I think the thing. It sounds like a more interactive experience somewhere between an adventure game and Dear Esther.

It all sounds intriguingly specific. I haven't tried it yet obviously. Anyone else had a look yet?

Yeah, it's good. Saying too much else would kind of spoil it I think. Unlike other exploratory games (ugh, Dear Esther) it actually feels like a game because you can interact with everything, and the amount of detail they put into all of the rooms/items is amazing. Setting it in the month I graduated from high school doesn't hurt, either.

BANNED
    This was on my list. Now it's higher up.
    Yay for indie games!

That was... amazing.

Just seems a bit highly priced for a 2 hour game, but I will probly end up getting it anyway, cos this sounds very interesting.

I thought it was as fresh, interesting and enjoyable as a good movie for a similar length so, yeah, it's a bit overpriced. Maybe wait a bit until it gets cheaper, but try to avoid getting spoiled about what it's about in the meantime (for what it's worth, just consider it a Dear Esther clone and don't read anything more about it).

I was actually considering picking it up, looks like TTLG approves highly so far? But gotta agree with PigLick and wait a bit for it to drop in price.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but I think the "small indie game prices" is an interesting topic actually, especially since we now have some quality ~1-2hr indies like Dear Esther, Home or Gone Home. Sure it's highly subjective and ultimately sales numbers will answer this, but how much are they really "worth" ? Personally I feel like $1-5 range seems fair but then I routinely spend $5 on a morning coffee and croissant, so it doesn't seem like it's much in comparison. And we all pay $10-15 to go see a movie on occasion too which is of equal length too. Part of the reason I went with sliding scale on Postmortem, since wasn't sure what would really be fair for that kind of a game
    Last edited by Yakoob; 17th Aug 2013 at 22:20.

I was thinking the same about price. Below $15 is about my threshold for risk taking, for whatever weird reason. Although I did notice the other day that this game is the cost of a movie now, on a normal day with no frequent flyer bonus or whatever. So there's that I suppose.

Taking the Death Toll
    $15 is above my instabuy threshold, unfortunately. Maybe first week of September.

It's really short, so unless you know you'll love it (which I pretty much knew immediately) I'd wait for a severe discount. Calling it a Dear Esther clone is kind of insulting, though. It's not a game about pressing the W key and listening to some guy reading pretentious bullshit periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Calling it a Dear Esther clone is kind of insulting, though.
    When I wrote that you can think of it as a Dear Esther clone except good, it was as a way of setting expectations about how narration unfolds and the general nature of what the player will get out of it, which are just about the only things that should be spoiled if you're like me and like to be surprised. It's also a way to weed out false expectations: someone who doesn't get anything out of DE, not even enjoying the potential behind doing an interactive story in that way, that person will never be able to enjoy Gone Home.

But anyway, you can just pirate the game and play the first five minutes, then decide. It's one of those things where you can indeed tell instantly whether you'll love it or not.

Well I went and got it anyway lol. Will post my impressions once I have played through it tonight.

Well, I thought this game was absolutely fantastic. Haven't had such a emotional reaction to a game in ages. Funnily enough, I haven't played a game in ages without knowing at least something about it beforehand and I think it really worked for it's favour here. I'll spoiler the rest: I had no idea what I got into, so the first few minutes I was scared shitless there's going to be ghosts or something like that (you returning home, where something is amiss). The talk of Oscar etc. really drove it further. I presume they meant it that way, because the story slowly unfolded to a totally different direction.

The story itself is very cliché. By a combination of things, it still manages to hold together and work. First of all, setting it in the nineties works very well. Secondly, the building of the characters, the family and their relationships is paced spectacularly well. The game flows very naturally, letting YOU find stuff out and work it out in your head. Finally, the writing is just really good. All the little things, like how Daniel is portrayed, is just superb.

Of course, the game has next to none replay value, but that is ok. I would have liked, if the story would have had more edge to it. Now it veers a tad too much to the stereotypical side. Then again, how the game slowly unwraps the whole idea of sexuality (or in more general sense: growing up) as the main focus is amazing. Besides, stereotypes are grounded in reality and picturing the situation that the game has happening in real life is completely plausible. Sometimes life is cheesy.

All in all, the game was thoughtprovoking and introspective. I haven't played other games like this (Dear Esther?) so it's easy to say that not many games come to par with invoking such strong feelings. Then again, the subject matter hits close to home albeit me being happily in relationship with a person of the opposite sex atm.

Well that was pretty damn cool, I didnt want to leave such a well-realised world. Story certainly went in ways I didnt expect.

Utter shit from self-proclaimed feminist developers.

3/10

Walkthrough in a GIF: http://data.gabucino.be/gonehome.gif

If it annoys people who use 'feminist' as some sort of implied slur it must be good.

verbose douchebag
    Don't talk to it!
    This is the person who was saying recently that the only people who enjoy female companions in games "arnt getin layd lol".

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    If it annoys people who use 'feminist' as some sort of implied slur it must be good.
    Good logic

Also failed to notice the term "self-proclaimed": http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013...e-home-at-pax/

"We are a four-person team. Two of us are women and one of us is gay. Gone Home deals in part with LGBT issues."
    Last edited by Gabucino; 20th Aug 2013 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    This is the person who was saying recently that the only people who enjoy female companions in games "arnt getin layd lol".
    0/10, thanks for trying

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2201806

Well, this game does seem pretentious (like most super-hyped indie games), but it also seems interesting enough to play. I like the 90s vibe.

It is a bit too expensive for me though...

I found it to be a whole lot less pretentious than I was expecting, it just tells a story, somewhat cliched possibly, then gets the fuck out. Its no great literary work, nor is it trying to be, but it does reveal the potential that gaming has for storytelling, it would have kinda sucked as a point and click adventure, but the first person immersiveness is what really brings home the bacon.

also that troll link above pretty much spoils the whole plot, so dont read if you want to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabucino View Post
    Good logic

Also failed to notice the term "self-proclaimed": http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013...e-home-at-pax/

"We are a four-person team. Two of us are women and one of us is gay. Gone Home deals in part with LGBT issues."
    I'm confused, is there something wrong with labeling yourself a feminist or being gay in your opinion? Also, the reasoning why they didn't attend PAX (your link) is solid even if one would disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuso View Post
    I'm confused, is there something wrong with labeling yourself a feminist or being gay in your opinion
    Dunno, Muzman implied so. I'm just posting the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabucino View Post
    Good logic

Also failed to notice the term "self-proclaimed"
    Fine logic. Thinks self proclaimed is relevant when it isn't. Why even bring up that they're self proclaimed feminists if it means nothing to you?

verbose douchebag
    Hint: stop replying to Gamucino. It's like Koki, but without the possibility of occasionally being funny or insightful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast