TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointed Objects: a new tutorial

Can you have more than one sub-object use the same joint?

Example: ("Aa" Orrery Sun) ➜ ("x01aa0000" axel) ➜ ("@s01bb" Moon)
    ➥ ("@s01cc" Earth)

I worry about the name of my Earth object. I know it should start with "@s01" as it, like the moon, uses the same joint, but I don't know what to name it but "@s01cc" but I am not trying to denote it's a sub-sub-object.
    Last edited by gamophyte; 15th Aug 2022 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    Can you have more than one sub-object use the same joint?
    Technically yes but it would be no point, as they'd all be doing the same thing. The axle (joint) number is what's linked to the Tweq Joints property.

aa could be the sun, with @x00aa0000 (your example didn't have an @, but that may just be a post typo) going through it (not sure if the names are case sensitive, but it's best to make sure everything matches).
    The Earth could be called @s00earth (00 means it's linked to joint 00), and it would have another joint going through it called @x01ea0000
    The Moon would be called @s01moon (01 means it's linked to joint 01)

If you wanted a little Apollo command module going round the moon, it would need its own joint going through it called @x02mo0000, and the command module mesh called @s02kubricfilmedonlocation (sub object linked to joint 02)

Larry's tutorial says (at the end) that the first joint should be numbered 00 (which is Joint1 in the Tweq Joints).
    Last edited by R Soul; 16th Aug 2022 at 15:55.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Technically yes but it would be no point, as they'd all be doing the same thing. The axle (joint) number is what's linked to the Tweq Joints property.

aa could be the sun, with @x00aa0000 (your example didn't have an @, but that may just be a post typo) going through it (not sure if the names are case sensitive, but it's best to make sure everything matches).
    The Earth could be called @s00earth (00 means it's linked to joint 00), and it would have another joint going through it called @x01ea0000
    The Moon would be called @s01moon (01 means it's linked to joint 01)

If you wanted a little Apollo command module going round the moon, it would need its own joint going through it called @x02mo0000, and the command module mesh called @s02kubricfilmedonlocation (sub object linked to joint 02)

Larry's tutorial says (at the end) that the first joint should be numbered 00 (which is Joint1 in the Tweq Joints).
    Thank you R Soul. Yes sorry my joint was a typo.

But, my example was a bad as how you describe is perfect, but I actually needed two things going around a central floating ball AI. Even so, this helped solidify Larry's work here in my mind, so thank you. And it's so well written I'm going to actually make it for a lab that's in the FM.

I have another thread where I am talking about this issue more, and I think I will do what I believe is done in Slip's rock elemental beast, which seems like there is simply two joints near each other on the BASE object. To a person's eye, the joints are so close they might as well be the same, not to mention the outer rocks irregular shape helps. I could never actually confirm how close the joints where as I could never see them when I convert bin to 3ds, then imported 3ds.

If I have difficulties setting up this AI I may instead go with a tail of trailing AI that clip into the first because they follow so close. That thread https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151842

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12