TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief at VGX 15 minutes video

Thief at VGX 15 minutes video

So here is the thief video from the VGX show:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l...re-show--thief

haven't see it yet, I just post the link to share.

Just saw the VGX story trailer, probably the most un-Thief like video in the VGX

For a second I lost myself and thought I´m watching trailer for some hollywood action blockbuster, like XXX.

Is there a music sample that doesn´t fit into Thief universe less than that 1000 times overplayed orchestral music that you hear in every AAA movie/video game trailer in the past 10 years?

Oh hey, look! It's Granny Rags!

Oh boy. Cramming Thief into a short, hype building video is a pretty difficult task but...come on...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/i...emiere-trailer

Basso sounds amazing! I never knew the City was located in Jersey.

Is this the first appearance of a flash bomb? It's available in the shop menu (8:20s) and I've never seen one in T4 before.

High quality

High quality

High Resolution maybe. Im not sure the quality is there...

So ... Thief Taker General, huh?

Months ago I started a thread asking what major improvements you'd want to see in a thief sequel. My suggestion was that I'd like to see a mechanic whereby Garrett wouldn't always be completely safe in the shadows, completely in control, dictating the pace of the game. I thought you could turn that into a single person who was capable of flushing Garrett from the shadows, and have him be a major plot element.

And now EM have someone who potentially fits the bill. Seems unlikely that they've included any mechanics by which this man can flush the player from the shadows, or if they do then it won't be a big enough part of the game to make much difference, but we'll see. Hopefully he leads to some interesting situations and isn't just a bit of window dressing on the story.

The game looks really, really, good - and by that, I mean the visuals. I wish we could have somehow gotten an editor - how awesome would that have been? The environments do look great on video, but we'll see how they turn out for playing in. Being able to turn off all the consoley UI stuff was nice, and if Thief does end up having some nice big levels, the game could be OK. Maybe not original Thief quality, but something as good as Dishonored.

Bad stuff - the dramatic music is lame, but hopefully it's strictly for the trailer and not part of the game. And yeah, having a crazy old woman isn't exactly going to help with the accusations that Thief is copying Dishonored. Couldn't they have just made him an old man instead?

I think this was the first time I actually chuckled instead of cringed at something the New Garrett said - Robes. Robes are always bad sign.

That sure looked like a zombie at the end of the trailer. Between that and "The Ritual," there might be some magic/supernatural to New Thief after all.

There's a lot to digest in the 15 minute Thief preview vid above, I'll have to go back and check it out again.

I agree that the remark about robes is probably the most Thieflike line spoken so far.

Let me take a stab at the storyline, though... The mishap with the portal opens a way for an entity, let's call him Bystander, to step into the world. The Bystander then gives new Garrett magical abilities which he can use as he sees fit.

Moderator and Priest
    ...and one of these powers is the Power Of Rock.

Remember how I thought I saw Garrett break a guard's neck with his bare hands in the bank trailer, and people (rightly) corrected me?

Anyone want to correct me now? Please?

1:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7vOBWizuTI#t=100

In the first person takedown (standard blackjack?) just before the time you linked he places his hand over the guard's mouth and whacks him on the head with his blackjack.

In the third person takedown you linked to Garret grabs his head (but does not cover his mouth), knees him in the back, and then, while still holding his head with one hand, whacks him with the blackjack.

EDIT: I should say that I have absolutely no idea whether the practical effect of doing this in real life would be to break your neck. But I suspect it is meant to be a non-lethal takedown in the game world.
    Last edited by Chade; 8th Dec 2013 at 21:35.

Yeah, I don't think it's a neckbreak, because Garrett hits him just after that and the guy cries out. Hard to yell if you're dead.

In any case, who cares? You can headshot people, so breaking a neck isn't much different. You only do it if you choose to do it, just like killing in the originals.

Why the hell did they wait until now to reveal that there would be a cult faction? Before this, they didn't even hint at it, leading people to think this was just going to be about some cliche crap about the Baron oppressing people and a boring uprising.

It seems more that they're creating a sequel and calling it a reboot so they can get away with sloppy inconsistencies if they end up borking the continuity somewhere/have freedom to deliberately change stuff. If this really is supposed to be fourth, I'm fine with new cult factions, given the ending of TDS.

There have been lots of statements from very early on that there is more to the story then just the Baron's oppression and a popular uprising. Nothing in either new trailer should come as a surprise.

Well hoping this doesn't play/feel like dishonored, I always felt like i was running around in a giant bubble in that game, that and horribly small area's. And hoping theirs a option to turn off what looks like a bunch of tutorial symbols. Still sounds like they made a sequel before they remade it and just kept most of the sequel story elements. Those Robed guys could be ex-mechanists seeing as that book has a gear like symbol on it.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfrog View Post
    Why the hell did they wait until now to reveal that there would be a cult faction? Before this, they didn't even hint at it,
    Yes they did. It seemed obvious that there would be one, it's only now that we know they use magic.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by Chade View Post
    In the third person takedown you linked to Garret grabs his head (but does not cover his mouth), knees him in the back, and then, while still holding his head with one hand, whacks him with the blackjack.
    Ok, I went back frame by frame. We're both wrong. Garrett is NOT using his blackjack; his hands are both empty, as visible below. He grabs the guard's head with both hands and wrenches it back, causing a loud cracking sound, but then he winds up (visible in the screencap), holds the guard's head with his left hand, and punches him in the head with his right hand, causing him to scream (guess his neck isn't broken then) before collapsing.

So it's not a neck-break, but you've still got a bare-handed thief taking out a trained guard who has his sword out, which is think is a ridiculous escalation of Garrett's combat abilities.

Last edited by Springheel; 9th Dec 2013 at 14:34.

Still Subjective
    The game does indeed look great.

But something about it is off. I think it's the writing - it's pretty poor (although I thought the robe line was quite amusing and apt and it was said in a SR style which I liked) and I think that reflects the creative drive behind this being less than stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Ok, I went back frame by frame. We're both wrong. Garrett is NOT using his blackjack; his hands are both empty, as visible below. He grabs the guard's head with both hands and wrenches it back, causing a loud cracking sound, but then he winds up (visible in the screencap), holds the guard's head with his left hand, and punches him in the head with his right hand, causing him to scream (guess his neck isn't broken then) before collapsing.

So it's not a neck-break, but you've still got a bare-handed thief taking out a trained guard who has his sword out, which is think is a ridiculous escalation of Garrett's combat abilities.
    Ok, so no blackjack.

I didn't get the impression that it's a combat ability. I thought it was a third person takedown animation. I don't have any particular evidence to back me up, though, other then that we know they have third person takedowns and I've never heard of anyone mentioning similar abilities during combat.

I meant "combat abilities" in a more generic sense. Not what the player can do in actual combat, but what Garrett as a character is supposed to be capable of. There was nothing in the previous games that gave the impression that Garrett was capable of defeating an armed guard with nothing but his bare hands.

Now, apparently, he's some kind of badass superhero.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Now, apparently, he's some kind of badass superhero.
    Not really. I'd say he's just trained.

It's a little over the top, but he did take the guard by surprise, after all.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast