TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T1 FM - Autumn in Lampfire Hills - Newdark Re-release - Updated 2014-10-07

T1 FM - Autumn in Lampfire Hills - Newdark Re-release - Updated 2014-10-07

Hello Taffers,

Let me present to you all, a NewDark updated version of Autumn in Lampfire Hills by the notorious Purah. This was a little side project that I started while working on Thief2 Fixed and it basically got the same treatment: Fixed texture alignments, minor terrain brush fixes, sound propagation fixes (such as sounds passing through walls) by fixing and adding room brushes, and fixing incorrect physics dimensions of objects and their materials. In addition to these conservative changes, I added EAX Environmental Audio support, I fixed the map not displaying, I re-rendered the lighting in 32-bit, added colored lighting settings from Thief2 as well as many other little fixes here and there.

In the new 2.1a release, I've continued to make many improvements, including importing brushwork from the FM "A Meeting with Basso" from Purah's Calendra's Legacy, improved candle flames, improved sleeping AI responses, improved colored lighting, and the general polish. I've even integrated the french translation (though it is completely untested) and created a briefing video. This is one of my favorite missions ever, and I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to give it some love. It is being re-released with Permission from Purah (Anthony Huso).

The original introduction by Purah is as follows:

So, You're a Master Thief.
    You've stolen from Constantine, you've stolen from Lord Rothchest, Edmund and all the others. You've stolen from a god, for heaven's sake! It's about time you got a place of your own...not an apartment. A house, or maybe a cottage...Yes. A cottage in Lampfire Hills. In the north outskirts of this gear-grinding city, lies the peaceful (though sternly ruled) district of Lampfire Hills. Now that you are out of debt you've even given some consideration to retiring there...
    Until you noticed something peculiar about your new cottage.

This mission is a surprise with (hopefully) story at the fore. Hence you'll want to explore your cottage and lawn thoroughly before venturing into the district of Lampfire Hills. A full briefing waits in your journal downstairs. Oh, by the way, you can afford to hire a henchman now that you're out of debt...a front gate guard of your own...so don't go killing everyone you first see...he's difficult to replace.
    Lastly, remember, you own the place...so for once in your life you don't have to sneak around...to begin with anyway...

Note: Darkloader has problems with running newdark Thief1 missions. If you refuse to use FMSel, follow these instructions provided by SlyFoxx to correct the problem.

Download
    Current version (Requires Newdark 1.22):
    Mediafire (2.1a)

Old Versions:
    Mediafire (2.0b)
    DarkFate (2.0b)

Note: The thread for the original version of this mission can be found here.
    Last edited by AntiMatter_16; 8th Oct 2014 at 22:00. Reason: Updated to new version

Clearinghouse
    Thank you!
    Mirror.

Yes, thank you! The weather forecast is pretty awful for the next few days so I know what I'm going to be doing.

A very timely and welcome release, thanks!
    This is a favourite of mine also, Purah's missions certainly lend themselves to this time of year.
    Get y'sneak on!
    Last edited by Purgator; 25th Oct 2013 at 08:10. Reason: not as cool as I would wish to be....oh well....

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Awesome, time to play this gem once again after all these years. Thanks a lot AM

Nice, Autumn is one of my favorite missions. It has pretty crude stuff but is a killer in terms of atmosphere.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Great timing on this for Halloween - Autumn was the first FM I ever played, so I'm looking forward to playing this new version. Thanks AM16...

That's great! Thanks for doing all the work to bring a classic up to date.

I play this mission almost every year right before Halloween... and I played it again last night!

I guess I'll have to play through it twice this year.

Outside of a couple of obscure switches needed to progress and some areas where odd proportions make things feel a little awkward, this is a near-ideal old school Thief mission.

It's got atmosphere, variety, lots to explore and a nice little story. Gameplay is polished and fun, even by modern FM standards. Autumn In Lampfire Hills is a perfect mission to play for Halloween -- it even has pumpkins and jack o' lanterns!

Thank you AM!

Strangely, when I try to start the game it plays the first T2 mission intro and then starts Lady Rumford's Manor, rather than the FM...

It is also strange that DarkLoader loads this FM in T2 rather than Thief Gold.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm not 100% on the details, but I think T1/TG Fms redone for NewDark show up in Darkloader as T2 missions. You need to go into darkloader.ini and manually change it's settings. Find the missions's name in [brackets] and right below it, change the "type" to 1 (it probably says 2).

congratulations on the release , im curious to see the sky in this one

Downloading
    Last edited by spiderman92; 25th Oct 2013 at 18:24.

This totally and completely unexpected and Awesome. This was one of the very first, if not the very first, FM I ever played after discovering Thief.
    I was blown away by this over 10 years ago. I've got to drop everything immediately and start this up! (Sorry TES V).
    Thank You!

I've put the zip file in my Thief Gold fms directory, I am using the 1.21 version, but somewhy from Darkloader Thief 2 and Running interference starts when I click on playnig the mission.

This mission version runs fine under TFix using FMSel, but try as I might I can't get it to run under Darkloader despite changing the mission type as Brethren suggested.

It would be nice if we could have some detailed instructions for Darkloader users.

Following Brethren, this is what I did to get the mission running under DarkLoader :
    download the zip
    start DarkLoader, choose "Play" for this mission
    quit the game without actually starting the mission
    quit DarkLoader
    edit DarkLoader.ini : change type to "1" in the following part :

[lampfire_2.0b.3645169]
    type=2
    misdate=41572
    books=25
    title="Lampfire Hills"
    date=41573

Save the file, start DarkLoader. Now the mission will be started as a Thief 1 mission.

Quote Originally Posted by JoergA View Post
    Following Brethren, this is what I did to get the mission running under DarkLoader :
    download the zip
    start DarkLoader, choose "Play" for this mission
    quit the game without actually starting the mission

click on the mission so that DarkLoader tries to identify the game
    quit DarkLoader
    edit DarkLoader.ini : change type to "1" in the following part :

[lampfire_2.0b.3645169]
    type=2
    misdate=41572
    books=25
    title="Lampfire Hills"
    date=41573

Save the file, start DarkLoader. Now the mission will be started as a Thief 1 mission.
    You can ignore the red part. No need to push Install or Play the mission.
    Just click on the new mission zip, so that DarkLoader tries to identify the mission type.
    Then quit DarkLoader and do the corrections.

I think someone knowledgeable with programming should fix that, this confuses new (and old) players.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I think someone knowledgeable with programming should fix that, this confuses new (and old) players.
    Good luck finding someone with a Delphi 3 compiler and the knowledge how to identify the game type properly, which would actually be the hardest part, I guess.

I had real trouble getting the DL thing to work - stubborn as you like. But I came back a couple of hours later and it had got over its sulk and is working very nicely now.

I've added the fix post to the Fan FAQ under the Darkloader section which is the best we can do, I think, unless something better comes along.

I haven't been able to get this to work either. Starting the FM actually made my Thief Gold directory disappear. It moved it to a "history folder" on the C drive. All my Thief Games and Darkloader are in one directory on the my Hard drive separate from the rest of my operating system. I haven't had any problems until now. Why trying to run this version would start moving files all around makes no sense to me.

No problems at all running this mission since I've given up on using DarkLoader and now under Fmsel everything is ok.
    But this reworked mission is pretty dark and there are places where it turns nearly to black.

Can't wait to play this...

After changing the type to '1' in the .ini file, I fired up DarkLoader and pressed PLAY. FMSel opened up when I did that. From there, I launched the mission and it ran fine.

closed gate by BAR/tavern

I noticed this gate is down, with stairs behind it leading up. A switch at top of stairs.

How do I get in there?

I do not remember how, been so long since playing this fm. Playing now on expert. Missed those jack o' lanterns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast