TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, so I looked at some more walkthroughs and noticed that I probably wasn't locked into the Institute ending path, but I also noticed that for any one of the endings I'm gonna have to pretty much wipe out some faction or other. Not too keen on that, so I'm gonna go ahead and pick the ending where everyone lives happily ever after, by simply not playing any more. The end. I win.

So, what did I think of Fallout 4? I went in with relatively low expectations and pretty spoiler-free, hoping the game would end up impressing me in some way I hadn't anticipated. And, sure, there are some nice additions. The base building was pretty fun, certainly weren't expecting to be doing so much yard work in this game. And the power armor is cool, and the combat is slightly improved from previous titles. The open world is also really nice and full of character. Probably the best open game world of the year(tho I haven't played TW3 yet). However, as has been pointed out, the engine is also janky and dated in a lot of ways. The worst thing about it, for me, was the infrequency of autosaving. Of course if the game could even save in the background(like every other new AAA title) instead of freezing the screen every time, that'd also let the game save more often.

Yeah I don't know, it was ok.

F5 is your friend.

I'm not playing the game yet, but the recent Errant Signal video on it was interesting:

I can't say anything abotu how accurate he is with respect to Fallout 4, but I find what he says about characters that are built as much around limitations as they are around strengths interesting, and I'd definitely miss that in a Bethesda game.
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Eagles on Pogo Sticks: Musings of a Goofy Beast

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    F5 is your friend.
    Refresh? Not sure what you're talking about.

Quick save.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah, I'm playing on PS4. There is a Quicksave option in the menu tho. But with so few games requiring quicksave these days(especially on console) I rarely remember to use it.

While trying to find out if there's a way to use the normal, actually-readable HUD while in power armour*, I came across this nice article picking even more holes in the game's awful interface:

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4s-user-in...ble-1743826375

*I didn't find one. If anyone knows of one, do share. I find the health, compass and especially rad levels to be almost impossible to read in the power armour HUD.

Whenever the GECK comes out I'm sure the first things people will mod are the HUDs and Pip-Boy interfaces. Personally what bothers me more about the Power Armor is the weird mouse acceleration that gets applied to the Y axis.

It's kind of funny that the PS4 menu would have a quicksave option. It's hardly quicksave if you have to bring up the damn menu to do it, is it?

The PC version has that option too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched the Errant Signal video, good stuff as usual. Though I must say that most of the stuff he gripes about doesn't really bother me as I'm not a huge RPG fan anyway. But I would disagree with his notion that your character is average at everything by default. Of course you're character is weak at the stuff you don't put points into! I barely put anything into Charisma so I was constantly failing at talking people into doing things, and I felt like that weakness was one of the defining traits of my character.

It's kind of funny that the PS4 menu would have a quicksave option. It's hardly quicksave if you have to bring up the damn menu to do it, is it?
    Well it is the first item in the menu, so it's just 2 button presses instead of one. And it's considerably faster than using the regular Save option.

So, I just realised that the SIZE bar on your settlements has nothing to do with the number of settlers, and is instead an arbitrary hard cap on the number of objects you can build in a settlement. Which, of course, I have just hit.

It looks like the limit is hard-coded, too, so without either a third-party memory hack or the mod kit, it can't be changed.

After I spent so long finding enough wood and steel to start building this monster...

Did you scrap all of the objects that were in the settlement to begin with? I always do that anyway (which means never ever needing to get wood or steel from loot) and I'm pretty sure those objects count against the limit.

Also, objects have different weights in the limit - purely structural stuff is fairly cheap. Turrets and such are very-very expensive.

Noticed that when i rebuilt the castle walls (yay, for stacking concrete blocks with the stair block) - every turret consumed one pixel worth of the bar whereas the other crap hardly registered.

edit: have not reached build limit myself, but it is said that the console can help (mind your hardware).

Code:
    // select the workshop

getav 348 - Gets the current number of triangles used by player.
    getav 34A - Gets the current number of draw calls used by player.

setav 349  - Set the maximum triangle budget for the settlement.
    setav 34B  - Set the maximum draw budget for the settlement.
    Last edited by zombe; 7th Dec 2015 at 07:05.

Did you scrap all of the objects that were in the settlement to begin with? I always do that anyway (which means never ever needing to get wood or steel from loot) and I'm pretty sure those objects count against the limit.
    Having enough building (& repair) materials by scrapping all the trash within the new settlement worked fine for me at first, but then I started having to use those materials to repair and upgrade my power armor and my body armor (I get shot up a lot). Now it seems that I'm always suffering a shortage of steel and other basic materials, having used up most of the on-site steel (etc.) reserves at each of the settlements. It's a pain in the ass to have to go back through enemy-riddled towns & buildings just to try to scavenge what I need every time I have to either repair my armor or do repairs in one of the settlements. Unfortunately, those tin cans don't seem to regenerate like the enemies that guard the buildings you found them in. At least I don't think they do.

So, by the cup-half-full way of thinking, you have the good fortune of enjoying the resource starvation side of the challenge

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The wankers have killed ESP-based mods for the time being with the latest patch (GOD FORBID anybody plays with mods made using tools other than your precious GECK that you're taking your sweet ass time releasing!). Here's a workaround.

This Beta update still disables Mods (.esp files). You can re-enable them, but you have to jump through some hoops.

1. Open the Fallout 4 launcher.
    2. Re-enable the .esp files via mod manager.
    3. Press play on the launcher.
    EDIT:
    An alternative workaround, but this one doesn't play nice with NMM.
    Issue: When you have opted in for the steam beta for FO4 or have installed the Beta patch/patches manually the game will erase/replace the plugins.txt file located in the FO4 appdata folder by simply launching the FO4 launcher. You don't even need to enter the game.

File Location: (Windows7) C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Fallout 4\plugins.txt

Process: This is pretty simple.

How to get back the plugins/mods you've been missing since the beta update/s: If your plugins.txt file is blank except for the origial fallout4.esp entry, which happens when you boot the launcher with a beta patch, open the loadorder.txt file in the same directory and copy all the plugin names below Fallout4.esp and paste them into the plugins.txt file below the Fallout4.esp entry.

This loadorder.txt file will always have the right order/plugins to add to the plugins.txt file.

Right-Click on the plugins.txt file after saving it and check the 'read only' option at the bottom of the first tab. Apply the read-only attribute to the plugins.txt file so the game doesn't remove the plugin entries.

When you load mods with NMM first disable read only for the plugins.txt file before installing them. You have to do this or NMM won't add the line to the plugins.txt file and your mod won't load.
    Install the mods as you normally would.
    Then when you're done re-apply the read only attribute.

This is how you get around the beta patches disabling plugins. This took me a bit to figure it out but this works everytime for me.

If you ever install a mod/plugin for FO4 with a modmanager and you forgot to disable read-only for the plugins.txt file simply open the loadorder.txt file and make sure the plugins there match the plugins in plugins.txt.

Good luck. I hope this wasn't confusing and can help some people.

edit: The other option is to opt-out of the beta for FO4... which you can google how to do that. It's easy and a small process in steam.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 7th Dec 2015 at 20:34.

Yeah, I scrapped everything. It's nowhere near enough wood or steel to build something that massive.

Dia: Steel is insanely plentiful. Just pick up every useless pipe pistol and pipe rifle that the enemies drop, and scrap them. They are worth 5+ steel each, have such a low value that they aren't worth selling anyway, and they are everywhere. Plus, as you mentioned, the owners of the weapons respawn.
    I have over a thousand units of steel mostly from doing this. A lot of "dungeons" also have a weapons workbench in them, so you can quickly pull all the loot over there and scrap it all.

One thing which annoys me is that you can't just freely scrap any item in your inventory at any time. There's no reason they couldn't have done this, and it's not like it would be that unrealistic since I'm often carrying an entire workshop of random tools around anyway. But I guess it's not following the silly precedent that Bioshock set way back when, to move all complex interactions to set locations to avoid confusing players.

Either way, back to the settlements topic - it sounds like the actual limit is a polygon limit - I had suspected as much, especially after the comment amount turrets using a lot of points.

Won't using the console - to change that or anything else - lock you out of ever getting achievements, though? It usually does.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

BEST workaround for working mods:-
    1. Download F4SE and subtract to your game's root directory.
    2. Use NMM to make sure all of your ESP plugins are enabled.
    3. Now only use f4se_loader.exe to play the game. Don't launch the game through Steam since it's the FO4 vanilla launcher that f*cks everything up.
    Bonus: Set up NMM to execute f4se_loader as a custom executable.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 7th Dec 2015 at 20:32.

Erm, you do realize that the stream of beta patches are popping up to deal with instabilities - so, semi-disabling rampant modding is desirable for that goal.

Complain when, and if, the hindrances are in effect when it goes out of beta.

Sure, if one really wants some mods (like me. minuteman and settlement "adjustments" are a must for me as is spelling out the dialog options) and needs the betas (*) - one has to hop through a few hoops for the time being.

*) I do not know if i actually need it, have not had a single crash (~100 hours in) prior nor since.

This is a public patch, not a beta. I was only using an .esp that allowed me to wear the gas mask with a hat, so I just went ahead and downloaded, but it's kinda like... eh? Was that really necessary?

The only mod which I am using is the one to replace the awful conversation wheel with the full text options.
    That mod is not an ESP mod.

How are people even making ESPs without the GECK?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    How are people even making ESPs without the GECK?
    Te same way they did with Skyrim and Fallout 3 prior to their respective CKs coming out, TESEdit/FO4Edit/etc. That's the advantage of Beth using the same engine, user-maintained mod tools for the older games can be quickly adapted for the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    This is a public patch, not a beta.
    Argh. Did not realize that ... so, the "IF" materialized. I guess EvaUnit02's post will prove to be of help when i get to it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Easiest workaround to getting ESP/ESM working with v1.2 of Fallout 4:-
    Just launch your game from NMM v0.61.3 or higher, that's it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12680/?
    Yesterday Bethesda released a patch for Fallout 4 which disabled mods from being run by resetting the plugins.txt file that contains all of the .esm/.esp entries for plugins that you had active. It had no mention of this in the release notes so people quite happily had Steam update their copies, only to find that when they went to boot up it said that the game had changed since their last save.

Today we have released NMM 0.61.3, this release will once again allow for you to run Fallout
    4 directly from NMM with all your mods and build order intact.
    Big thanks to our elite developer Fabio for all the effort he put in to get this up and running so quickly (when he was meant to have a day off may I add!).

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast