TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4?

Okay, this is ridiculous.

(Minor spoilers regarding a sidequest in Diamond City - "Diamond City Blues")

I go into a bar that I'd missed earlier. Inside, I see a man asking his wife to come home. She doesn't want to, so he tries to force her, before getting into a fight with the barkeeper who punches him and then throws him out of the bar.

Later on, this guy comes up to me and asks me to come with him to talk to the barkeep, who is sleeping with his wife.
    He seems a little bit unstable, so I think I should come along and make sure he doesn't do anything too stupid.
    I then get to convince the guy to not go at all and to let me talk to the barkeep for him.

I tell the barkeeper that the woman's husband has asked me to talk to him, and, trying to be polite and diplomatic, tell him that the other guy isn't happy with him sleeping with his wife.
    At this point, I'm given the choice of either intimidating him, or telling him that I've told him how things are and it's his choice what to do next.
    The latter option makes the barkeeper randomly attack me (because attacking a guy in full power armour with a small shotgun is clearly the most sensible course of action in every occasion, even though I didn't say anything threatening at all.)
    If, instead, I choose to intimidate the guy, he will admit to sleeping with her and promise to break it off and not even allow her into the bar.
    Fine, that's what the other guy wanted, even though I don't feel particularly great helping him out since he didn't seem very nice. The whole quest so far feels very chauvinistic (two guys fighting over a woman who doesn't get to do anything and whose opinion no one cares about.)
    But wait, what's this? I can't accept the guy's promise? No. The only options are to either kill the guy, or tell him that his promise isn't good enough in various different ways.
    Telling him that just his promise isn't good enough, he then goes off and starts describing how he is involved with smuggling chems into the city (which has nothing to do with any topic at hand), and then how he wants to betray the smuggler and make off with both the caps and the chems, and he somehow wants me to help. Maybe he thinks that a promise coming from someone who would backstab and betray his business partners is more valuable?
    At this point, I want to tell him that I'm not interested in his dirty smuggling business, but of course I can't do that. My only options now are to either accept his random job (which is still completely unrelated to the point at hand), or to decide I don't like him and want to kill him.

This. Quest. Makes. No Sense.
    This quest probably makes less sense than all the other nonsense in the game put together.
    WHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST?
    Sheogorath's quest from Daggerfall where he asked you to invite a vampire ancient for tea made more sense than this.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 11th Dec 2015 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    because attacking a guy in full power armour with a small shotgun is clearly the most sensible course of action in every occasion, even though I didn't say anything threatening at all.
    Classic.

I botched that side-quest too - also unexpectedly (yay for vague "dialog" options - did not have the mod fixing it installed at the time). But at least it made sense.

I was in the middle of more interesting stuff when the guy came to whine about his relationship troubles - so, i told him to bugger off. Which meant that the next time i visited the bar he got shot after a whiny argument and the culprit tried to make a deal - which my trigger finger twitched on. Oh well. Now i have the wives (or whatever) of both respective parties bugging me.

At least so far they both seem to have accepted that i saw nothing and know nothing.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Okay, this is ridiculous.

(Minor spoilers regarding a sidequest in Diamond City - "Diamond City Blues")

I go into a bar that I'd missed earlier. Inside, I see a man asking his wife to come home. She doesn't want to, so he tries to force her, before getting into a fight with the barkeeper who punches him and then throws him out of the bar.
    I don't recall this quest at all. Have you gone looking for Nick Valentine yet? I accidently stumbled upon that story quest whilst wandering around the open world and I hadn't even visited Diamond City yet. If so then my game must've skipped your infidelity quest entirely.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th Dec 2015 at 22:18.

Yes, I even had Nick as a companion at the time.

This quest is a little hard to find, so I missed it before. You need to go into the Colonial Taphouse, which is roughly up above the main entrance area just inside Diamond City. There's a really snobby guy drinking outside, along with a Mr. Handy serving drinks. The door doesn't really look like a "real" door at first glance, but you can go through.

It's not really hard to find if you visit all the public areas in Diamond City, given that it starts the moment you walk into the pub.

Warning: 'The Molecular Level' mission glitch spoilers in this rant.

Okay, all was going well and fine (except for the occasional crashes-to-desktop) until I got to the part of 'The Molecular Level' mission where you have to build a teleporter. From what I've read, what you don't know while trying to finish that part of the mission, is that you're (allegedly) supposed to build and connect each component in a specific order; a fact of which you are unaware unless you've read spoilers and/or watched walkthrough videos beforehand (which I didn't). What really sucks is that if, like me, you start forging ahead blindly in creating those components, then trying to activate them, if you don't do it in the specific order (that was obviously a detail the devs declined to share with your character beforehand), then you encounter a glitch and can't complete that mission. And that sucks even more because it's part of the main storyline. I've also read in some of the FO4 forums that there are players who haven't experienced this particular glitch and were able to complete this part of the mission with no problems. I can only conclude that they were either lucky, prescient, or were paying more attention than I. And now I'm stuck. And pissed off.

One video I watched on that part of the mission (after I'd already created all the components, obviously in the wrong order, in retrospect) said you could go back and 'store' those components in the workshop and start that part of the mission over again; to my dismay, one of the components I'd already built refused to be stored and since it's about third in line in the specific building order, the mission seems to be permanently glitched for me. I've gone back repeatedly to the only save I have for that mission (which is after I've already created all the components) and tried hard to fix things, but the game won't allow it. I suppose I could go back and reload from a previous save, but the only save close enough to that mission involves a couple of major battles that I really don't want to have to go through again. Yeah, this sucks.

It was rather frustrating yet oddly entertaining, however, to watch some players who made how-to videos about this part of the mission go into confusing and unnecessarily complicated detail to the point where at the end of the video you come away even more confused and still have only a vague idea about what order you're supposed to build and then activate those components. The posted walkthroughs of this mission aren't much better, most of which have you jumping back and forth from Point A, to Point B, C, then back to A, then on to E, then substituting one thing for the thing you're supposed to be using, then going back to Point D, etc., etc.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and reload from that earlier save (if I can find a how-to video on that part of the mission that makes sense). I really hate it when devs try to be clever and make certain missions more complicated than they need to be. Or, when I encounter a glitch that some other players haven't.

A Bethesda game with major bugs in main story-line missions? That has never happened before (PS. thanks for the specific warning as i have not yet got there ... having too much fun doing everything else).

Knowing console commands has always been a strictly necessary part of playing Bethesda games for me - assuming you can use the console, how about:
    * toggle console
    * select the troublesome piece
    * "markfordelete" (slightly more safe than just "disable")
    * toggle console away and fast-travel far away and then back

edit: ... oh, probably about 12 hours too late.

No, your advice isn't too late, zombe; I've put this mission on hold indefinitely - it's just too frustrating to deal with right now. I try not to use console commands if I can help it, but thanks for the helpful tip. I'll give it a try; my only concern is that after I delete the item I may not be able to recreate it again. At this point it'd be worth it if it works, just so I don't have to reload from that previous save and sweat through those two battles again!

P.S. I've decided to follow your lead and just do other stuff for awhile. Just looked at my map and discovered that there are LOTS of blank areas waiting to be explored!

Weird, I just built and hooked the stuff up in whatever order and it worked fine. The only requirement I remember is that they all had to be connected to the same power source, and I'm pretty sure it tells you that in the HUD when you're hooking the wires up.

Edit: It would probably be useful, actually, to know which part of the quest is giving you an issue. It seems like there are a few places that quest could break, for instance not being able to build the platform that goes in the teleporter or not wiring the generators either to each other or to a power relay so that all the juice is coming from the same source. Since the save file is probably too huge to share easily, having a screenshot of your setup would help.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 13th Dec 2015 at 05:57.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The settlement defence events are a great way to farm for legendaries. Save before you fast travel to the place under attack. Try to loot the legendary corpses before settlers get to them, because they will scavenge weapons and use them (you could always trade with said settlers, but it'll be pain finding the bugger who snatched the weapon).

@zombe & Jason: Well, I finally managed to complete this part of The Molecular Level quest, but it took another several tries. Unfortunately, the 'markfordelete' didn't work for me, though. For some reason, it seems that after I'd rebuilt one unit, exiting out of workshop and going back in would give me the option to continue with my rebuilding of all the units. I found the least confusing step-by-step set of instructions on what order in which to create and hook up the components, followed that as best I could, and the fifth time around (this sitting) worked.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

Glad you can move forward, Dia. I haven't had any game breaking bugs, but my passion for the main quest has mellowed since completing The Molecular Level quest. Some would welcome the added level of moral choice this brings to the game, but I'm having trouble getting past it.

Have to say with all the settlement building I've done, the only time they are attacked is when I'm sent to one by the Minutemen. I was expecting the kind of attacks I've seen when the BOS go on a cleansing of the wastes. Those are quite fun really. That cap on building in settlements has got to go, btw.

Zombified
    hey, anyone running the game on a dualcore cpu? looks like it's working on i3s, but those do support hyperthreading, so the game will see 4 cores available - what I have here is phenom x2, so just two threads, and the game bails out with no error message right after the intro video. would expect at least a "4 core minimum, screw you" error message, but apparently Bethesda had better things to do, like making sure the body physics will not be messing up every odd time you drop an enemy. oh, wait..

anyway, if you have a dualcore cpu with no hyperthreading junk machine, and the game runs, let me know.

I don't know about CPU, but the game quit for me during the intro, with no message or indication, because it didn't like my graphics drivers. Updating them fixed it right up and made the game work properly (while breaking some other programs, yay for AMD drivers.)

So you might double-check that you have the latest drivers, just in case.

Zombified
    I do - clean OS install a few days ago. also, it's a nvidia gpu (gtx650).

//nudged things around in the game options a bit, and it started to work after a couple of reboots, so it seems like 4 cores is not a hard minimum requirement after all. performance will probably not be too great though.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 16th Dec 2015 at 20:46.

Bug, bug never changes.

Definitely still Gamebryo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Okay, all was going well and fine (except for the occasional crashes-to-desktop) until I got to the part of 'The Molecular Level' mission where you have to build a teleporter.
    Finally got around to progressing in the main quest, and it's actually nowhere near as complicated as this.

The problem is that you need to build the thing on a flat piece of terrain with nothing under it.
    Nothing.
    You can't build it on concrete foundations or even a piece of carpet.
    It will let you place one or the other piece there, but they won't snap together.

Once you understand this oddity (thanks, wiki!), it's no problem to assemble.

Weird, I built all my stuff on the concrete base where the destroyed building is right next to the building with the workshop in Sanctuary, didn't have an issue.

The 'how-to' articles I'd read (including helpful hints in some forums) stated that not all players were having issues with that particular part of the game. And in several posts in one forum, each person who'd had issues with the whole teleporter thing had the same issue; it seemed you were required to assemble everything in a certain order or it wouldn't work. Like many glitches, this didn't seem to affect everyone. Took a few tries, but I finally managed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Weird, I built all my stuff on the concrete base where the destroyed building is right next to the building with the workshop in Sanctuary, didn't have an issue.
    I meant the concrete bases that you can build yourself in the wooden floors section.

Did my best to approach fallout4 with an total open mind, I failed.

Fallout4 is an expansion pack for fallout3, which was retro-sci-fi mod for oblivion, which was a playable engine prototype for skyrim.

I hate seeing a monument on a hill, hike up and sit on a stool and watch sunrise in all of these games and pretend like they are different games.

Well, I'm 90 hours in, that's one hell of an expansion pack.

IMO, people get way too hung up on Bethesda games being similar. If the game is good and fun, who cares.

I think all the halfwits just want an opportunity to be oh so super clever - "Oblivion with guns!" and "TES 5.5!" and now...this.

Plus, no one would complain if it was Dark Souls 6.

I thought everyone expected it to be very similar to Fallout 3?

Yes, of course everyone was hoping it would take all of its strengths and improve on them while eliminating the flaws, but that was always wishful thinking.

The game has some nice stuff, mostly in the environmental design, it shows a lot of love and attention to detail (at least in some areas), and it's fun / addictive, but that still doesn't change that I can give a huge list of fairly objective flaws with it - much more than I'd ever observed in any of their other games (since Daggerfall, I guess.)

Then again, the reason I can give that list of flaws is clearly because I keep playing it - I'm on 150+ hours here. If it was just truly awful, I'd probably have just played it for a few hours and then stopped, and never have seen the issues.

I'm thinking of writing a full rant-review about it when I'm done.

For me Fallout 4 has something in common with Candy Crush Saga. Does it use some tricks to keep you addicted? Yes. Does it make it a good game? No.

I can understand why gamers can't differentiate the two aspects, since a lot of us are like junkies, always waiting for the next fix. But, the same happened to game critics, and I expect them to be smarter than that. Being addicted and having tons of things to do in a game doesn't make it GOTY, and Bethedsda having their own 'special' game category isn't a good thing either.

So you're arguing we're all just being manipulated and tricked into playing Fallout 4 for 100-200 hours each? Yeah, that's pretty lame and somewhat insulting. I give TTLGers much more credit than that.

As far as game critics, I wouldn't go elevating them up to the Pulitzer level anytime soon. Most are just gaming enthusiasts gone pro.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast