TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-beam texture pack for thief 2

C-beam texture pack for thief 2

C-beam HD texture pack for Thief 2: The Metal Age

UPDATE: The project is on hold for now, all my efforts are focused on EP2

Unfortunately it's not for public release at the moment but it's not far from it. The first pack will be released in Jan. 2014 (will contain 700+ textures).

Screenshots/comparisons:

link (images): http://postimg.org/gallery/35f4z9c4/8ec5686a/
    Last edited by C-BEAM; 31st Dec 2013 at 05:13. Reason: update

Zombified
    and the new textures seem to be quite true to the originals. nice.

I can't see the images.

Edit: I can see them after your edit. Very nice indeed - I'll definitely use this pack when you release it.
    Last edited by ffox; 29th Dec 2013 at 10:52.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by C-BEAM View Post
    C-beam HD texture pack for Thief 2: The Metal Age. Unfortunately it's not for public release at the moment but it's not far from it. The first pack will be released in Jan. 2014 (will contain 700+ textures).
    Very impressive, this will complement the TG pack that was released a while ago.

How will this pack interact with the EP2.crf pack..?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I think it would be better and easier for everyone if the contents of this pack were merged into the EP2 (which also contains many objects as well as terrain textures) and the ongoing work in the canon texture upgrade thread at The Editor's Guild. Two separate texture upgrades with some overlapping and some different content will be confusing for users to decide which to use, or to figure out how to use both. You should get in touch with Nameless Voice.
    Last edited by Yandros; 29th Dec 2013 at 11:24. Reason: Fixed URL

Agreed. The EP2 already has canon replacements for some 450 terrain textures (30% of the used textures in the game), and close to 1,000 textures in total if you include object textures.
    Assuming there isn't too much overlap, together they might get close to half of the used terrain textures in the game.

In particular, EP2 has almost none of the ArtDeco textures upgraded.

EP2 terrain texture progress page

Incredible!!! Just that I thought we would wait a year, or two for Gecko to make HD textures for Thief 2, this guy steps in and has this by January. Too good to be true.

The textures indeed look very true to the original, as if like both are same and the originals were merely downscaled in quality. I appreciate both ways, because Gecko improved some things with his textures, but these textures keep the look and feel of the original.

I don't quite understand this comparison, as they are two completely different things.

This looks like a pack to upgrade the textures while remaining true to the originals - the same goal as the EP.
    Gecko's texture pack is a mod that replaces the textures with high quality ones, while also completely changing the look of the game.

They don't really "compliment" each other because they are two entirely different mods, with different purposes.

Welcome to the forum C-BEAM - think you've made quite an entrance! I like these very much indeed and look forward to the release.

Great work so far!! I'm looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I think it would be better and easier for everyone if the contents of this pack were merged into the EP2 (which also contains many objects as well as terrain textures) and the ongoing work in the canon texture upgrade thread at The Editor's Guild. Two separate texture upgrades with some overlapping and some different content will be confusing for users to decide which to use, or to figure out how to use both. You should get in touch with Nameless Voice.

they are doing great job but I feel like we have a little bit different approach... My pack is focused on best "quantity vs quality vs time" ratio. As a graphic artist I dont want to spend year on this, I can only spend about 10-15 minutes on one texture in average. They are not perfect but good enough for my requirements... I do not need new models or hinges on the doors (nothing against them). But not all of the 700 textures in the first pack will be remastered - not all of them are worth the effort.

PS: I hope Necrobob will release his own huge texture pack some day ... I really love his work.
    Last edited by C-BEAM; 29th Dec 2013 at 14:54.

Zombified
    btw, just noticed your location - the world surely is a small place/svet je maly, vsakze.

Those are gorgeous, as true to the originals as you can get

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Those are gorgeous, as true to the originals as you can get
    Their creator disagrees with you--

They are not perfect but good enough for my requirements.
    Yes, they're very good. Hyperbole never helps.

they are doing great job but I feel like we have a little bit different approach... My pack is focused on best "quantity vs quality vs time" ratio. As a graphic artist I dont want to spend year on this, I can only spend about 10-15 minutes on one texture in average. They are not perfect but good enough for my requirements...
    So you think these textures aren't good enough for the EP?
    They look good to me, in the screenshots?
    Even if they're lower quality than some of the EP textures, aren't they still better than the default ones? Someone could always remake them in even higher quality at some point farther in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Their creator disagrees with you--.
    Actually, these are as true to the originals as it gets, mostly.

Great. Lovely

Especially I'm looking forward for new door textures. I have a lack of nice doors in my map.
    Keep going

Nameless Voice : so... can you tell me more about that ? where can I post some of my textures ? can I improve textures which are already in the EP ? and who decide which one will be used ? thank you.

voodoo47: takže jeden z tunajších kingov zlodejiny je Slovák ? žiadne prekvapenie

Development thread for the Enhancement Pack here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140187

Thanks, by the way. As for a pack, well, all my efforts are directed towards the EP right now ...which really accomplishes the same goal in the end, even though it is far from my work alone. I really hope you'll lend us a hand, the Mechanist art deco textures in particular are largely yet to be enhanced.

Yeah, if you guys merge these with the EP, it will be perfect

Zombified
    seconded to the EP2 merge.
    voodoo47: takže jeden z tunajších kingov zlodejiny je Slovák ? žiadne prekvapenie
    nie nejak obzvlast, ale par trikov sa v rukave najde.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    This looks like a pack to upgrade the textures while remaining true to the originals - the same goal as the EP.
    IMHO would be preferable to use textures where they overlap from this pack over the ones in EP2 because they are of a superior quality going by the screenshots in the OP. That and the C-beam pack replaces a load of stock textures that were never done in EP2.

But my opinion aside, if the Cbeam, NecroBob and EP2 packs can be merged that would very much appreciated!

Nameless Voice : so... can you tell me more about that ? where can I post some of my textures ? can I improve textures which are already in the EP ? and who decide which one will be used ? thank you.
    People usually just post the textures in the thread, or link to them there, as high-quality PNGs.
    Alternatively, you could send them to me directly, either via email or some other method. There's no automatic way to get textures into the progress page - I copy them in there manually.

You can make better versions of textures which are already in the EP, though I'd question if it's the most valuable use of time.

I'm the one who would decide which one is used, as I'm the keeper of the EP (I originally made a lot of it myself, though these days I mostly just collect what others create.)
    If it's not a clear-cut case, I guess I'd ask opinions in the thread as to which people think is better.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    but I guess I'd ask opinions in the thread as to which people think is better.
    I imagine this would be preferable.

The project is on hold for now, all my efforts are focused on EP2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast