TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

The question now is - what next? I gather it was popular enough that a season 2 would be a no-brainer, but with a whole new cast and story that's a hefty risk.

Well I finished it tonight. I read some people criticizing the ending, but I can't imagine why. It was just what I thought it should have been & I was more than satisfied. I might compose some thoughts later on, but for now a few things that stand out to me...

First, the art direction and especially sound direction were fantastic. I don't think I ever notice sound direction in tv shows, but in this case it was memorable and added a lot. The soundtrack was also excellent.

I thought the key line from the first episode was when Cohle sees or hallucinates a girl apparently like his daughter & says "do you believe in ghosts?" I think her ghost is possessing him through the whole show. I also caught from the first episode that the police saw him as the main suspect. And when Cohle talked to the lawnmower man in Episode 3, and it was so extraneous to the plot, I had a strong hunch this guy has the scent of "Chekov's Suspect" (i.e., the trope where a police procedural introduces an extraneous character early on that has no good reason to be there, then plays it like Chekov's shotgun. He's going to be central to the story later on; he's the guy. Sometimes shows subvert the trope, but in this case they played it straight, which I was ok with).

I liked the "unreliable narrator" trick where the story they gave the interrogating cops was different from the story played out on screen, and it makes you wonder if some things we thought we learned were fabricated for us as well. I want to go back and watch.

I think I could sum this show up by saying you can appreciate it most when you realize it's not really a police procedural story but, at its heart, a (twisted) buddy cop show. It has more in common with Lethal Weapon than Silence of the Lambs.

It is, indeed, golden age of television. Breaking Bad has just ended. And True Detective has emerged.

I just can't imagine that Pizzolatto will be able to make another series as good as the first one. The form and the matter (characters, story) were tied so close in True Detective that probably everything (including atmosphere, narrative tricks etc.) must be changed in order to avoid an accusation of copycating. I do not think we'll be seeing another Rust and another pedophile murderer. But I am still hoping for some intelligent detective story with the characters that can express the complexity of human nature in words.

It's great that there are so many great TV shows!

The first league: Breaking Bad, Sherlock, True Detective, Top of the Lake, The Fall, Broadchurch. And later: Black Mirror, Bates Motel (yes, I do like it!), The Killing, Hannibal, Hemlock Grove (yes, I also do like it!), House of Cards, Peaky Blinders, Ray Donovan...

If only I was on a vacation more often...
    Last edited by bukary; 16th Mar 2014 at 10:56.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    it's not really a police procedural story but, at its heart, a (twisted) buddy cop show.
    Exactly. The way they play that out is just perfect in its execution also.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm halfway through season one now - the ending to episode four with the escape from the projects sequence was incredibly intense - I didn't even realize until I read up on it today that it was done in one shot (6 minutes worth). Just some really incredible film making going on here. I'm torn, I want to blow through the next four episodes as fast as possible, but I also want to savor it a bit. I'll definitely miss the interaction between Cole and Hart when it's over.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1722001/true...ive-long-take/

LittleFlower
    I hope people are aware that the first episode of the 2nd season has been aired yesterday ?

I loved the first 7 episodes of the first series. Only the last episode was a bit of a downer. It didn't supply the answers I was looking for. Hopefully the second season is not completely stand-alone. And will answer some of the questions that remained open last year. I'm gonna watch S02E01 later tonight ...

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's sitting on my DVR for tonight.

Everything I've heard though indicates this season is 100% stand alone, but who knows, they might try to tie it all together. I think this one takes place in California though, and Season 1 was in Louisiana, with references to things happening all up and down the east coast. So any connection might be a bit of a reach.

I liked the fact that Season 1 didn't wrap up it's mystery in it's entirety - it left a lot to ponder and mull over afterwards, and that's a good thing.

LittleFlower
    I watched it. And I don't think I liked it.

I loved everything about the first season. The actors, the music, the intro, the settings, the camera-work, the slowness, Louisiana. The vague references that there might be something underneath it all. I just didn't like the plot, when it turned out it was just a lone Texas Chainsaw Massacre wannabe after all. But I really enjoyed everything else.

This first episode had a totally different vibe from the first series.
    I thought it was maybe just me.
    But this is the first hit when I googled "true detective".
    It seems I'm not the only one.
    Vox: The 31 most ridiculous moments of the True Detective premiere.
    (Of course, only read that review after you've seen the first episode).
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 22nd Jun 2015 at 22:02.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just watched it myself. I guess I'm slightly intrigued as to where things will go, but it certainly didn't have anywhere close to the impact that last year's opener did. Hart and Cohle will be impossible to top, but so far the new characters don't seem like anything special. Colin Ferrell is just over-the-top bad cop. Rachel McAdams is just playing the super bitch on a vendetta. And Taylor Kitsch is...no idea. All kind of ho hum. Vince Vaughn is maybe a little better, but it's hard to take him seriously in a drama role after all the comedies he's been in. About 3/4 of the way through, I got the impression the show is going suffer from Game of Thrones syndrome. Too many characters to focus on and develop. They've in effect doubled the number from last season.

@Gryzemuis - That links is pretty hilarious, and spot on in most of it's points, but you could probably dissect any TV show in that way. The truest parts are the rips on all the bad dialogue, it was pretty awful in a lot of places. And that singer near the end...it felt like a parody of Twin Peaks.

I'll give it at least a couple more episodes before I'm genuinely disappointed.

Being shot on film and one of the favourite recent shows of David Lynch, I think I should watch it.

off-topic:
    The last show I liked was The Killing, even though I was irritated by its constant jumping between short scenes. By the way, how were the 3rd and 4th seasons? I watched only the first two.
    Last edited by 242; 24th Jun 2015 at 10:02.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting twist last night with the shooting of Velcoro - is he really dead? There's a very short list of people who knew he was going to that apartment. Vince Vaughn's character seems to have a dark side, so could it be him? That theory has a tons of holes. The show has my interest again, at least for the moment. One issue though, the story seems to be suffering from Star Wars prequelitis - no one wants to hear so much about trade federations and holding companies. Dull.

Also - I feel like Ani's dad has been mentioned several times now by various people - seems likely he'll become part of the main plot at some point.
    Last edited by Brethren; 30th Jun 2015 at 11:47.

Did not see that coming.

Also, it's not necessarily someone who knew he would be at that apartment, the crow dude might have just been there all along. Seems like there could have been plenty of surveillance equipment there.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I dunno, doesn't seem to make sense. He's just sitting there 24/7 waiting for someone to come by? Why? Any evidence could have been removed a long time ago.

There is no other Twin Peaks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caradavin View Post
    There is no other Twin Peaks!!!
    But will be.

I know.

I know it's supposed to be gritty, but my gods why are these people so fucking grim? Is there not a single happy person in law enforcement? These first two episodes come off as trying so hard to be dark and gritty and noir (whatever that means) that I can't identify with anyone. I know these people have dark pasts, they see bad things, their daddy didn't breastfeed them (in the case of the female detective) but Jesus Christ, have a beer, get laid, watch some Looney Tunes. They all seem like they're on the brink of suicide themselves. With the exception of Vince Vaughan's character, they're all annoying the hell out of me. It's like the opposite of those cheesy sitcoms where everything works out in 30 minutes and everyone is unreasonably happy. "We're in law enforcement. We see heinous crimes. We see lots of bad people. Life sucks. Let's drink too much and treat everyone like shit because life is so horrible." It's fucking Kurt Cobain x10 and I really, really loathe all the faux-emo bullshit in their personalities. McConaughey was imminently likeable in the first season despite his eccentricities and pessimism (what I would call realism), but there's nothing at all likeable about a single one of these characters.Woody Harrelson's character had a family, believed in God, etc. and was interesting in his contradictions. These people are one dimensional and it's the "quit your fucking brooding and get over yourself" dimension. Why don't they just paint their faces white, throw on some Evanescence and get it over with? What terrible character writing. It's disingenuous, at best. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by fett View Post
    I know it's supposed to be gritty, but my gods why are these people so fucking grim? Is there not a single happy person in law enforcement? These first two episodes come off as trying so hard to be dark and gritty and noir
    Yep, an overshoot. I watched the first 4 episodes and they seemed artificially grim, and not in the Twin Peaks intentionally freaky and funny way. TD just screams "I want to look like I'm the most grim show ever", but it lacks depth and balance to not seem false.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Yep, an overshoot. I watched the first 4 episodes
    Considering there's only been 3 episodes so far this season, I'm guessing you're talking about last season. Fett is clearly referring to this season only.

I would agree that this year just seems very artificial. They try to make everything super ominous and spooky, often cueing up dark music at certain points when there's nothing on screen to back it up. It just doesn't fit. It's hard to get creeped out by holding companies and misappropriated funds. And every main character is so over the top to the point of being caricatures of themselves.

Last season just seemed more authentic with Harrelson/McConaughey. I think it just comes down to the fact that they're better actors. Can you imagine Colin Ferrell as Rust? We'd be laughing our asses off.

I gave the first episode a pass, the second episode was boring until the cliffhanger, the third episode was mostly a downhill slog.

Apart from the weight of crushing expectation, the simple fact is that Season 2 just isn't very good. The central mystery so far is what... a dude in a mask killing people (or not as the utterly nonsensical shooting of Velcoro proves). The rest is a faux "Chinatown" mob/state deal gone sour with police and government corruption in Vinci? It's boring and has no teeth. Add to this that the characters are bland and 1-dimensional, the dialogue overwrought and the atmosphere is LET'S PAINT GRIM BY NUMBERS.

LittleFlower
    Agreed. I finally watched episodes 2 and 3. Still not impressed. I'll probably watch the next 5 episodes as well (as we're almost half-way). But it's not like I'm excited to watch them.

I think the conclusion we can draw from season 2 is: where everybody was praising the script-writer Nic Pizzolatto in season 1, it was actually the director Cary Joji Fukunaga who made season 1 so remarkable. He, and Harrelson and McConaughey.

LittleFlower
    Episodes 7 and 8 were slightly better than the first 6 episodes. Maybe they were not better, but episodes 1-6 lacked so much, no suspense, no character development, no mystery, no plot, and no action. When finally something happened in the last 2 episodes, it probably looked as if it was better.

Overall judgement: not worth watching.

The real question is: how come season 1 was so good, and season 2 was so bad ? That Cary Joji Fukunaga guy must be a true genius.

verbose douchebag
    Season 1 actually had a fairly by the numbers plot and even the dialogue was quite hackneyed in a nouveau film noir kind of way. Even the dynamic between the two main characters was a fairly pedestrian chalk and cheese buddy cops with chequered past yarn. What made it was that Harrelson and McConnaughy just absolutely wore the skins of their characters and made the whole thing come to life. That and the cinematography and sound.
    I haven't seen the most recent series - wanted to rinse it in one go after it's finished, but by the sounds of it, I may not need to bother.

True Detective series 1 is the perfect one-off mini-series. Not sure there ever needed to be more.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Rise! The show is back again, and it's actually pretty good. Possibly very good. We're 3 episodes into season 3, and it's much closer to the feel of season 1 than to season 2. Sometimes almost to a fault. The plot is similar (missing children) and there are several almost identical scenarios and situations (old partners getting back together to solve a case, etc.) But I guess you can hardly blame them going back a formula that worked really well the first time.

Anyway, I recommend checking it out, it seems worthwhile far. And Mahershalla Ali is excellent, playing the same character over multiple time periods (another similarity to season 1).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast