TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

The CV1 will run at 2160 x 1200 @ 90Hz.
    This announcement is a major disappointment to many in the development community, as Oculus has decided to take a step back from their 2014 "Crescent Bay" prototype, which I and other developers first experienced at Oculus Connect, back in September. We were told that this prototype (2560 x 1440 @ 90Hz, providing nearly 50% more resolution) would represent the specs for the CV1, with a hint of even greater resolution coming, if possible.

This unfortunate circumstance will diminish the impact and presence that many cutting-edge devs hoped to deliver for their high-end experiences.

However, even with this unwelcome, resolution downgrade/presence-diminishing news, I can assure you that there will be high-end virtual experiences for the CV1 that will require at least a GTX 1070/dual 970 (or AMD equivalent), in order to have the "ideal", uncompromised experience that the developer intended.

Huh, that's weird. I guess they figured that since the Vive is only doing 1200x1080 per eye that they can get away with a 2160x1200 panel. But the Vive is a dual-display solution, so the actual pixel density per-eye will (probably) be higher than Oculus will have with their single panel set up (unless that's changed? It's kind of confusing. The blogpost says 2160x1200 "split over dual displays," but all the previous incarnations of the Rift have gone for a single split panel. The Vive specs are specific about it being one 1200x1080 display per eye instead of going with the combined resolution.)

Our development for OS X and Linux has been paused in order to focus on delivering a high quality consumer-level VR experience at launch across hardware, software, and content on Windows. We want to get back to development for OS X and Linux but we don’t have a timeline.
    Damn. They've really ceded the field to Valve on this one, haven't they? SteamVR APIs already support OSX and Linux, so that'll definitely be in place at launch for the Vive.

Price is really going to be the deciding factor for everyone, but Vive has the hand tracking solution that Oculus still lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Huh, that's weird. I guess they figured that since the Vive is only doing 1200x1080 per eye that they can get away with a 2160x1200 panel. But the Vive is a dual-display solution, so the actual pixel density per-eye will (probably) be higher than Oculus will have with their single panel set up (unless that's changed? It's kind of confusing. The blogpost says 2160x1200 "split over dual displays," but all the previous incarnations of the Rift have gone for a single split panel. The Vive specs are specific about it being one 1200x1080 display per eye instead of going with the combined resolution.)
    The CV1 will have separate 1080x1200 dual displays...just like the Vive Dev Kit.

Damn. They've really ceded the field to Valve on this one, haven't they? SteamVR APIs already support OSX and Linux, so that'll definitely be in place at launch for the Vive.
    Yeah...not good for Oculus.

Price is really going to be the deciding factor for everyone, but Vive has the hand tracking solution that Oculus still lacks.
    Price will be their competitive angle...Although I have caught wind they have their own custom input solution that will be revealed later this year...Time will tell.
    Last edited by Vae; 16th May 2015 at 08:21.

FOVE...Eye Tracking VR Headset

- Interactive feedback via eye tracking
    - Better resolution than Vive and Rift (2560x1440 vs 2160x1200)
    - Foveated Rendering

...Kickstarter (Raised over 175k in the first 24 hours)

verbose douchebag
    ...and to show how comfortable the experience is, witness our model's extremely bloodshot eyes.

Using Kickstarter purely for marketing is a total dick move. If they've already got their first round investors, there's no need for a Kickstarter.

...Oculus: Step Into The Rift Full Press Conference...

Oculus Rift...Q1 2016 release...Price unknown at this time.

Comes with: "Constellation" tracking system, Rift, and Xbox One controller

Oculus Touch, input controllers...Sold separately (Q1-Q2 2016 release)...Price unknown at this time.

That conference really felt like Oculus just shitting the bed in public. They're launching 4-6 months after the Vive, with less features. The Oculus Touch controllers are reportedly not going to be available at launch (and I read one report that the Touch devkit won't even be available until after launch). The whole Microsoft partnership came out of nowhere and was frankly a little baffling. Their killer app seems to be the virtual living room for Xbox One streaming, which...seriously? Nothing will kill presence faster than sitting on a real couch in a virtual living room playing a console game and not being able to even peripherally see your hands holding the controller.

And so much of it felt like re-purposed Apple keynote. Iribe talking up the industrial design of the CV1, Luckey coming out with "one more thing...," etc.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Am I alone in thinking that the old boxy DK1 Oculus Rift still looks cooler than any of the later versions?

Finally watched the parts of the Oculus Presser that I missed. Iribe is just embarrassing as a speaker. So many applause breaks that didn't get applause and him not knowing what to do about it. Palmer actually came off pretty genuine and excited, but he needs to fire his style consultant. The techbro t-shirt sport coat combo needs to die in a fire, but adding sandals to that just makes it hilarious.

In other news, I finally got to do a couple of the Vive demos at work today (oh yeah, did I mention that I now work at a company doing VR stuff? I totally do). Just The Blu Encounter and Tilt Brush, but they're both pretty incredible. My dumb QA brain was all analytical about The Blu, so I was kind of messing around with the whole boundary warning system and not able to just be all "WHOA" about the experience, but there was a second where the whale's fin sweeps over the shipwreck and I almost ducked under it, so job well done there.

Tilt Brush is almost more interesting as a UX thing than a real application, but it's really phenomenal. I would kill for some sort of Vive/VR build of Blender that worked like it. Just imagining being able to do dynamic topology sculpting on an object that I can just walk around, carving away or adding on to it. It would be awesome.

Display resolution was really good. There was still some screen door effect, but it actually seemed less noticeable than on a Galaxy S6 Gear VR, which is interesting, since I believe the S6 has a much higher resolution display. It's got to be something to do with the optics.

ZylonBane

Level 10,000 achieved
    oh yeah, did I mention that I now work at a company doing VR stuff? I totally do
    Cool! Me too! Well, ok we've only done one VR project yet, a tour of a hydro power plant, but it turned out quite well. Customers were happy.

What was the Gear VR like? What kind of interactivity does that thing offer? And did you notice any nausea/unease with either that or the Vive?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting article on RPS about why VR will flop:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...p/#more-295987

I tend to agree, on the surface, with the premise. It's amazing all the money that's going into it though, so I'll reserve final judgement for when a usable product has actually been released.

I disagree with the majority of his premises: Kinect failed because 75% of the time, its gesture recognition just plain didn't work. 3DTVs failed because they were a clusterfuck of compatibility issues on active glasses, glasses not being included with the TVs and costing $100+, and the manufacturers locking down exclusive bundles on the movies that people wanted; and this shit lasted for the first two years of the 3DTV push, so once it was sorted out consumers had given up.

Also, John Walker has amblyopia, and thus totally busted stereoscopic vision, so his opinion on 3D movies/games and VR is meaningless, since most of the effect is lost on him.

The thing that might kill VR this generation is lack of standardization. If the APIs for Oculus Touch aren't compatible with Vive controllers (or other future SteamVR compatible controllers), and vice versa, that's going to make developing VR titles a pain in the ass for everyone.

What was the Gear VR like? What kind of interactivity does that thing offer? And did you notice any nausea/unease with either that or the Vive?
    GearVR is pretty 'eh.' It works pretty well, but interactivity is limited to either the touch pad or a USB controller, and screen door is pretty bad (even on the S6).

I was a heavy skeptic of VR until I got to try it at PAX, and now I'm a believer. This is, IMO, not going to be a passing fad for a couple of reasons.

1. It works. The head-tracking on the Rift I used was spot-on, 1:1, no delay or sluggishness like on TrackIR. The 3D was great. With a solid pair of headphones it was easily the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had, and this was in a crowded expo hall. It's really hard to adequately describe to someone who's never tried VR.

2. It is not a unique technology that radically alters how you interact with the game. Motion control is different, a game has to be designed for motion control from the ground up. If you don't have a motion controller, you are getting a substantially different experience. VR will give people 3D and 6DOF camera control, but these don't radically change the way anyone interacts with the game. Developers don't have to make VR-specific games and hope the VR community is a big enough market for it to be worth it, they just need to include VR support and can still sell to everyone.

3. It's a straight substitute for your monitor. Unless they end up being uncomfortably heavy, there's no major downside to just using the VR headset versus using a monitor. With stuff like motion controls, you get tired of waving your arms in the air when you just want to relax, and then it's time to stop. If you get tired of moving your head to look around or lean with a VR headset like the RPS author keeps complaining, you just stop. Keep your head still, forgo the motion tracking, look around with your mouse/controller. No big deal. You still have an immersive 3D display.

I think the biggest obstacle to mainstream VR adoption will be APIs and implementation as Fafhrd said. I don't think consumers will buy VR sets and then discard them as gimmicks, but I could see consumers buying VR sets and discarding them if only a handful of games end up supporting their particular model.

LittleFlower
    I agree with RPS.
    It's a gimmick. It will go away.

I didn't see the appeal of 3D-tvs.
    I thought they were a gimmick. And that they would go away.
    I was right.
    Just a matter of time.

ZylonBane
    It's always going to be niche, durr, but it's only going to become a more accessible niche. Display technology is always getting lighter and cheaper, and wireless communication is always getting faster. Eventually a VR "headset" will look like nothing more than a set of goggles or oversized sunglasses.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think Facebook is counting on it being more than a niche thing.

3D was a fad that went away. Then came back, much improved. Then...stayed. Now most spectacle movies are filmed in 3D and offer 3D showings.

VR was a fad that went away. It's coming back, much improved. It'll stay.

Frankly, I even think motion controls are going to come back at some point, preferably when they've got the lag and accuracy problems under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    It's a gimmick. It will go away.

I didn't see the appeal of 3D-tvs.
    I thought they were a gimmick. And that they would go away.
    I was right.
    Just a matter of time.
    Translation: "I don't see the appeal in X, therefore X has no appeal."

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I think Facebook is counting on it being more than a niche thing.
    Indeed. I liked, and agree with, MrUimport in the RPS comments section:

Back when it was first announced, the Rift was just to be relatively affordable, working VR: not a magic wonder helmet that did all things for everyone. Some barrier to entry was to be expected, especially for a first-gen device. Now they’re chasing a mainstream demographic with all the attendant buzzwords, praying that the masses, who (as John said) just want to sit down and play games, are willing to put up with the clunk and the inconvenience that inextricably goes with VR.
    Vive and the Rift are great technological advances and will be rapturously received by hardcore gamers and sim fans, but it does sound like Facebook wants more than that. Feels like the Facebook aquisition was a double edged sword. All that money likely resulted in a better end product, but what's gonna happen when the Rift doesn't live up to all the impossible expectations that have been put on it?

GearVR is pretty 'eh.' It works pretty well, but interactivity is limited to either the touch pad or a USB controller, and screen door is pretty bad (even on the S6).
    Hmm, alright. I just got a new S6 from the company, and we've ordered a Gear VR, so I'll get to play around with it myself before long.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Translation: "I don't see the appeal in X, therefore X has no appeal."
    True, it is only my opinion.

There's lots of stuff I don't like. But I see why it has appeal to others. With VR, I see why others are interested. But I don't see why it will have appeal to them in the long run. I thought that was the definition of gimmick. You like it at first, but in the end, you realize you don't like it much after all.

RPS has lots of arguments.
    For me the argument is about input. For true VR, it's not only about visuals. It's also about being able to walk around, pick up stuff, etc. But I don't see how that is possible. You have glasses on your head, you walk around, you'll bump into stuff. I really don't see a way how to fix that. So in the end, VR will just be like having a monitor, only this time you wear the monitor on your head.

Moderator and Priest
    You should be all for Hololens then.

So in the end, VR will just be like having a monitor, only this time you wear the monitor on your head.
    A 360 degree monitor for a lot less than such a device would otherwise cost. Pity about the resolution, I suppose, but I imagine that will get improved.

There's lots of stuff I don't like. But I see why it has appeal to others. With VR, I see why others are interested. But I don't see why it will have appeal to them in the long run. I thought that was the definition of gimmick. You like it at first, but in the end, you realize you don't like it much after all.
    Because you're reducing this to novelty, which isn't all there is. I don't think that the Oculus or any of the upcoming VR devices will go fully mainstream, and I don't think they'll ever *replace* regular screens, but they definitely have a niche. I've read lots of posts from people playing Elite or racing games, saying that they *only* play these in VR and don't want to go back. Obviously that's anecdotal only, but they show that there's more there than mere novelty. The VR devices may fail for many reasons, but I don't see why they should be any more gimmicky than joysticks, HOTAS setups, steering wheels or the like are gimmicky.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540 ... LastLast