TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126313641 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

I generally think it's still too inconvenient, even with the great miniaturization of late.
    It's a powerglove or light gun situation. Fun for some things but still fairly hardcore when all said and done. The failure of motion controls wasn't so much latency and resolution but making people flap their arms when they want to just sit on their arse. Now they want you to stick things on your head, maybe even walk around. You can't just opt out of the game by moving your eyes from the screen anymore. More commitment than even pretty intense people care to have, it seems to me.
    I suspect VR Arcades would supply most people's level of involvement (ie casual) and provide the most actual usage from people. Which, ironically, would suck the life out of the home market that everyone seems to be gunning for.

I expect we'll see some fairly high level of saturation first though. Which wouldn't necessarily prove Walker wrong (although many will say it does, probably for years). It's the usual tech release cycle for this sort of stuff though; bombard everyone with it, buy a big bundle deal, throw everything at a would-be killer ap or two, pray.
    Whether it sticks or not is another thing. Of course, it'll still be bigger than it's ever been in history. So that might be ok. Still you read those comments from the true believers saying that it is The Future, they have Seen It in The Flames or whatever. yeesh. How do people let themselves get like that...

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    There's lots of stuff I don't like. But I see why it has appeal to others. With VR, I see why others are interested. But I don't see why it will have appeal to them in the long run. I thought that was the definition of gimmick. You like it at first, but in the end, you realize you don't like it much after all.
    It's true, stereoscopic vision is only a novelty, with no real benefit to situational awareness. That's why most creatures evolved to be cyclops.

I was about to correct your grammar, but then I realised you might have meant "any of a genus (Cyclops) of freshwater predatory copepods having a single median eye."

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    It's true, stereoscopic vision is only a novelty, with no real benefit to situational awareness. That's why most creatures evolved to be cyclops.
    Haters gonna hate:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Got the company DK2 on loan over the weekend. Time to figure out if I can make it work with GTA V!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Or not.

GTA V VR requires vorpX, and I'm not about to pay 35 for that. So instead I tried out some new stuff.

Prowl - you sit in the backseat of a car driving down a rainy street, while jazz plays on the radio. Nice.
    Surge - musicvideo thing with some great UE-powered visuals.
    Corridor17 - 3D shmup which uses the headtracking for steering. Not bad.
    BlazeRush - now this one was good. The demo was impressive enough for me to buy the thing on Steam and spend 45 minutes with it, even though a bit of nausea started creeping in around the half-hour mark.

This really isn't what you imagine when you think of Virtual Reality gaming, is it? But it works amazingly well. And it's making me think other "isometric view" games, even strategy games like XCOM:EU, probably could work well with VR. The only issue is that from this viewpoint everything starts looking tiny, and toy-like. For a racing game like BlazeRush that's fine, the design of the cars are very toy-like anyway, but in XCOM it'd be hard not to think of the units as little toy soldiers, rather than humans. Perhaps games with more abstract representations of the units, like Frozen Synapse, would work better in that regard.

verbose douchebag
    Time to get Elite Dangerous?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm kinda wishing I'd picked it up in the sale now, yeah. Supposedly Dirt Rally has some (rather rudimentary) native VR support as well.

Are you still playing Elite btw? Still good?

Thing What Kicks
    I've just been playing some ED, and yeah, it's still good. You can still level the "Mile wide, inch deep" criticism at it to some extent, but it's better at keeping you busy now.
    The Power Play stuff doesn't appeal to me mind. I think they implemented it to give the Eve refugees something to do.

One really cool thing to come out of the recent update is the Fuel Rat initiative. You can now launch Fuel Transfer Limpets, and that has led to a bunch of philanthropic players forming a group called the Fuel Rats who offer to rescue those stuck in deep space with no fuel. I'm considering re-purposing my mothballed Asp to join up.

But I'm still having too much pew-pew fun in my Vulture.

verbose douchebag
    I haven't played for a while as my PC is still sitting in bits while I try to find out what's wrong with it, but it's great Henke. Really immersive once you get past the first bit of learning curve.
    Do not treat the tutorial missions as being essential for being able to play the game either - I still can't beat the sidewinder dog fight mission.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Prowl - you sit in the backseat of a car driving down a rainy street, while jazz plays on the radio. Nice.
    Ah this would be so good as a platform for an IF like Shadows on the Mirror... The whole story takes place chatting in the passenger seat of a car to the mysterious driver, trying to figure out what's even going on ... driving down a country highway in the rain, circa the year 2400 or so, so it's cyberpunk on top of everything else. Even as text, I had a really strong & evocative visual image of it all.

...Pebbles Interfaces joins Oculus...

This is basically a move to standardize hand-tracking tech for the next-gen Rift, and consumer VR in general...Of course, Valve will surely be competing in this space, as well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That made me look up what Leap Motion are up to these days, and I spotted this video they uploaded just yesterday, where they show off how to use it for interacting with a cockpit interface. I'm playing Elite Dangerous with the Oculus right now, and being able to lean over and tap on the screens to interact with them, rather than just using the gamepad, feels like it'd be a natural next step in increasing immersion. Tho of course it'd need to work as well, and be as painless to use, as a gamepad or it won't really take off. Anyway, cool that these kinds of inputs are being developed. I wonder if it'll be included as standard with the Rift, or if it'll be an extra add-on.
    Last edited by henke; 18th Jul 2015 at 05:50.

What are the specs of the machine on which you're using the DK2? And how well do things run?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I bought a new one a few months back, so it's pretty beefy.

Intel Core i7 3.50GHz
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 960
    Most games installed on HDD.

Elite Dangerous runs fine at High settings with the Rift, only stuttering when you first enter hyperspeed. Haven't experienced any nausea with it, btw, despite spending over an hour with it at a time. Overall pretty much every game runs fine maxed out, except GTA V Online, which keeps crashing on me, as you know.

Can't wait to check this out on the Vive...

Level 10,000 achieved
    We've had a Gear VR for Galaxy S6 at the office for a couple weeks now, but I haven't posted about it because, well, there's not much to say really. Not from a gaming perspective anyway. I actually hooked up my Dualshock 4 controller and tried playing a couple of the more actiony games in the Samsung Store, but the results weren't great. The games look very good, and the headtracking is lag-free, but the input lag was too severe to be playable. Maybe it works better with "proper" mobile gamepads tho. I also tried Proton Pulse Rift, which doesn't require any additional inputs besides looking at things, and that one was as good as the Oculus Rift version on PC.

Gaming aside, it's a neat device. Light-weight, high-res, no cables, so easy to use you can hand it to pretty much anyone and they'll be able to navigate it's menus and use the apps without much problem. The cinema apps are pretty cool. I did watch the first 40 or so minutes of Inherent Vice on it before the headset started to feel a bit uncomfortable in the back. I haven't had the slightest feeling of motion sickness though, then again I've barely used any apps where you're not stationary in the 3D space.

So yeah, good for impressing clients with if you're in the VR-biz, not much good for gaming.

Yeah, the Gear is definitely more geared (ahem) toward experiential VR than gaming/interactive VR. There's some new two player co-op game that a couple guys in the office were playing on it that sounded pretty cool, though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oculus Connect is happening right now. Apparently Vae is there so hopefully he'll drop by here and tell us what he saw and experienced. In the meanwhile here's some news!

The Gear VR is coming out in November and it'll cost $99! That is cheap enough I'm sure it'll sell by the boatload (to folks with new Samsung phones).

There's some new videos on Oculus YT channel, including game videos, but my favourite thing they've shown is the sculpting app Oculus Medium.

Cool! Let's face it, though, most people will immediately use it to create VR dicks. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

While I hope that I'll get to try out whichever VR solution I'll end up getting before I buy it, I'm very excited about this attempt at making VR viable. Will it be perfect? Nope. Will it replace gaming on a screen? Absolutely not. Will developers need to learn how it can be used and how it can be controlled, with a lot of trial and error? Definitely. Will it show the potential for amazing experiences? It sure as hell sounds like it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Gear VR got it's own Netflix app a few days ago! However I'm having a hard time declaring it a KILLER APP just yet since I've yet to successfully watch an entire 30min episode of Wet Hot American Summer on it due to problems with internet connectivity and the battery running out. Could just be EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES with my particular situation tho so THE JURY IS STILL OUT. But what I have experienced of it was pretty nice. I'd say it's more pleasant than watching Netflix on a computer monitor, but perhaps not much better than watching it on a TV.

Chakat sex pillow
    Now there's an interesting idea. I wonder if epic, sweeping movies work better than a large-screen TV on VR kit.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'd say you're still better off with a big TV in that case. You do get the cinema feeling in the Gear VR's virtual cinema, but even at the S6's beefy 2560x1440 resolution everything still looks noticably pixelated.

Okay, I'll fill you guys in on some news...

- The Oculus Rift CV1 will be available to the general public near the beginning of Q2, rather than somewhere in the middle of Q1 (march/April).
    - The Oculus Touch controllers won't be available until the end of Q2 (June/July).
    - Intially, there will be 10+ titles that use the Touch controllers.
    - 20th Century Fox will be releasing 100+ films for VR Cinema at the launch of the CV1.

Personally...

- I demoed the CV1 and Touch controllers (Last year I demoed the Crescent Bay prototype)
    - Got to try "Medium" and "Dead & Buried" from Oculus Studios...Both really cool...
    - Got a free Gear VR!...

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    - I demoed the CV1 and Touch controllers (Last year I demoed the Crescent Bay prototype)
    What are your impressions of these?

Edit: Also, yesterday we had an office outing, which included a trip to the Biotech Campus in Geneva. One of the people we talked to does experiments on the neurological aspect of personal space, and he works with Oculus Rift. Sadly, we had almost no time with the guy and there weren't any demonstrations - nor did I have any opportunity to swipe one of the development kits they had lying around. Those complete and utter Oc teases...
    Last edited by Thirith; 29th Sep 2015 at 04:37.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126313641 ... LastLast