TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172227323742 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    What are your impressions of these?
    - Lenses are better than DK2 and Crescent Bay, with hardly any SDE...POV is slightly better than DK2 at 100+. Seperate OLED displays allowed for independent adjustment with the improved lenses, which was really nice to dial things in just right.

- Lighter and more comfotable than DK2 and Crescent Bay. This thing is really light and comfortable. Could wear the CV1 for hours without a problem.

- Like the Crecent Bay prototype, the temporal resolution (90hz) played a big part on the believability of the virtual space (Presence).

Touch is a winner...very light, with good tracking. I was impressed with the feel and natural integration with hand movements. They're a significant factor for bringing one deeper into the vitual world.

...I'll be getting some soon to develop with...

Overall, really impressed...It will be a good start for Oculus, which will only get better and more exciting with each generation.

Forgot to add "Bullet Train" as one of the Touch demos...Take a look...

I've got a DK2 now! (Working, too, though I had to upgrade my video card and my power supply). Wish I had a touch controller... That seems like it would really add to the experience.

Resolution sucks. I haven't been able to pick out the various colored pixels since the old CRT television days. With this thing you can't help but notice them, especially around white objects.

EDIT: My 3-year-old daughter took to it right away and absolutely adores it. She keeps reaching out to try and grab things. Very cute.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 28th Nov 2015 at 02:04.

How much did you pay for it?

I am extremely curious about the upcoming launches of consumer-grade VR gear - and about the games that will support VR natively. I just got the EA version of Descent Underground, and it offers native VR support. I wonder what that'd be like - I'd probably come away from it throwing up violently.

How much did you pay for it?
    The DK2? Nothing; I got it through connections. My friend was like "we want to make [NDA]" and Oculus was all "please do here have some kits". Better to make money and spend money, but if you're not making any money, free stuff is sure nice. But then I spent ~$400 on PC upgrades, so there's that.

I wonder what that'd be like - I'd probably come away from it throwing up violently.
    Yeah. VR is definitely affecting. Games where you basically don't move much may become the new normal for a bit. Like rail shooters (in the literal sense).

Yeah, I mainly think VR will work great for games where you're in a cockpit of some sort (which would be the case with Descent, although that one also doesn't really feature a clear floor, which makes things more disorienting). First-person shooters? Probably less so, especially if they're fast paced.

The big thing in VR is rotation. Lateral movements of the camera are more or less okay (up to a certain speed), but as soon as the camera rotates without you turning your head or your body you'll get a negative reaction. Fixed points of reference like a cockpit combat that a lot.

My daughter is practically addicted to this thing. Lawnmower girl is coming! *ring, ring*

I couldn't get Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (my favorite of the series) to work, which is very disappointing to me, risk of nausea not withstanding. It seems the latest runtime doesn't have the "extended mode" option required to make it work. Especially annoying given that SteamVR itself works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    My daughter is practically addicted to this thing. Lawnmower girl is coming! *ring, ring*
    At least it looks slightly less ridiculous than some of the headgear in KOTOR.

Level 10,000 achieved

THIS JUST IN

CRYTEK IS GOING TO STEAL MY IDEA FOR A VR CLIMBING GAME

Or, to be more precise, they're going to steal my idea of stealing Vertigo's climbing mechanics, putting it in first person, in virtual reality, and simplifying the controls so you simply look at a grab-point and then pull the left or right trigger to grab on to it with the respective hand. My game was also going to have you using the shoulder buttons to place your feet. The articles makes no mention of controlling the feet of your character, only the arms, hence it is a DUMBED DOWN copy of my ORIGINAL, BRILLIANT CONCEPT which I was too lazy to ever make.

Damn, I do look forward to this tho. It's gonna be amazing.

The really depressing part about that, is that it's going to exhaust me without even actually climbing anything.

So, Oculus Rift preorders start tomorrow... and apparently all who backed at DK1 level on the Kickstarter get a free Kickstarter Edition Consumer Rift.

To think that I failed to even hear about Oculus Rift during the original Kickstarter campaign...

Yep...Here's the link.

Also, the release of the Touch controllers will be delayed until the second half of the year (probably Q3).

Last edited by Vae; 5th Jan 2016 at 14:07.

... and preorders are up, apparently. I haven't yet checked, because a) it seems the site is being hammered and b) I'm currently at work. In any case, OR will apparently cost US$599 plus postage.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yikes! €700 is a heftier price tag than I'd expected.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...us-rift-price/

verbose douchebag
    Yeah, I think I'll wait for inevitable wave of motion-sickness or novelty wearing off-related eBay listings to start cropping up.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yikes! €700 is a heftier price tag than I'd expected.
    Not least since that's basically US$755 (compared to the already hefty $600). I'm curious (read: scared) what the asking price will be in Swiss francs.

Edit: Oh, irony of ironies - it ain't even available for preorder in Switzerland. I'll now go and cry into my chocolate and cheese.
    Last edited by Thirith; 6th Jan 2016 at 12:44.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wow, 600 bucks? Talk about a niche market. Remember how upset people got when Sony announced the PS3 was going to start out at that price? And that was for an entire gaming console, not for an unproven accessory. Man, not sure what they're hoping for here besides a real narrow slice of gaming fanatics. I don't think Zuckerberg is going to get his 2 billion back.

Am I remembering wrong, or weren't they talking about a $200 price point not so long ago?

Nah, IIRC the OR guy talked about them hoping to sell them at $350, but that was a while ago. More recently he was pretty frank that they wouldn't make that price point, though he didn't mention specifics. He did say, though, that if th Consumer Version hardware weren't subsidised, the thing'd cost $1000.

Level 10,000 achieved
    They were estimating a price of $300/$350 at first, until last September when Luckey said "You know, I’m going to be perfectly honest with you. We’re roughly in that ballpark… but it’s going to cost more than that."

There's an understatement. _

Southquarter.com/fms
    Granted, it's quite a while ago, but maybe this is what I was thinking of:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...00-price-range

That is more recent and more official than I remembered, admittedly.

That's a pretty big ballpark.

I suspect the Vive is going to be around the same price, and the better value for money. They've been saying for a while that it was probably going to be a bit more than the Rift since they viewed room scale as the more premium VR experience, but they were saying that when all the public statements from Oculus indicated they were targeting ~$400. They also probably have better economies of scale since they have the existing relationships with all the hardware manufacturers in their supply chain, while Facebook is totally new to this.

On the other hand, HTC may see this as an opportunity to bump up the price on the Vive since they're not doing so great as a company and need all the money they can get.

I'm a bit suspicious of the Vive and other less transparent players. I think they might be having more technical issues than they're letting on. The Rift has been through several relatively public iterations, and all the players are benefitting from it to a degree, but to what degree?

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172227323742 ... LastLast