TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Considering that the Rift CV1 is a pretty significant re-design prompted by the Vive (dual-screens instead of a single panel to allow for IPD adjustment and improved pixel density, low persistence screens, 90hz refresh instead of 60 were all things that the Vive did first) I'm not really sure how other players have been benefiting from Oculus's transparency.

From my own (pretty extensive) time with the Vive, they very well could've done a limited consumer launch with the second devkit (with the wireless controllers), but the Pre is such a massive improvement that it can't really be argued that they didn't make the right call in pushing back release so they could ramp up their production line and build a solid inventory for the consumer release, as well as letting devs retool their software to take advantage of the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Wow, 600 bucks? Talk about a niche market.
    The Rift is already fairly niche due to the hardware requirements. As far as I can see, less than 10% of Steam users have a supported graphics card. The main question is how many of those are interested in being early adopters for VR and have enough money to buy a $600 peripheral. Anyone else is going to have to get a $300+ card on top of a $600 kit, and maybe have to upgrade the rest of their computer to support the new card.

Also, good games are a must before it's going to take off.

I expect that a lot of bullshit will be written about VR in the following months, and especially about whether it's a success or not. I've seen too many people (not necessarily here) talk about it in entirely binary terms: either VR immediately becomes a big mainstream thing, with VR goggles in every second household, or it's a gigantic failure. Which is rubbish. This may well fail, or it may succeed, but while the price is steep, it's not like lots of hardware that is now widespread wasn't prohibitively priced when it came out: HDTVs, Blu-ray, probably also DVD. It's easy, and incorrect, to think that the devices we now take for granted went from 0 to 100 overnight, yet that's what too many people - journalists and other commenters - seem to think.

I definitely think that the current wave of VR is the best chance yet for this to be more than a blip. There's a small but active scene of indie coders creating games, demos and other software already; there's a small but growing list of games that already support the Oculus Rift development kits, and some of them are the kind of games that have small but extremely loyal group of fans. Artists, researchers and counsellors have taken to the OR prototypes and the potential in the tech - not enough to make for a viable audience, but enough to show that interesting things can be done already. Out of the two systems coming out this year - Oculus Rift and the Vive - it's likely that at least one will do what it says on the box sufficiently to convince enough people to give this a try.

Will it be enough to keep this alive for a few years, so that we'll see something like a VR killer app? We'll see, but unless both OR and Vive turn out to be shit (which is unlikely, based on previews, though they may well be "not for me" or "too expensive" for many people) I don't think we can say much about whether VR will be here to stay or not until 2017 at the earliest.

verbose douchebag
    I think it will succeed or fail on the games. Tech can be awesome, but if you don't have a compelling reason to keep going back to it after the novelty has worn off, it's not going to thrive.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Don't worry, VR support will be added to Stilt Fella once the headsets are out. I'll make sure this VR thing takes off.

Stilt Fella and stilt controllers with every Oculus Rift, or GTFO.

verbose douchebag
    Stilt Fella with full analog stilts could be the best thing ever.

Full analog, haptic, force feedback, wireless stilts. With a "Share" button.

verbose douchebag
    Never be afraid to dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    The Rift is already fairly niche due to the hardware requirements. As far as I can see, less than 10% of Steam users have a supported graphics card. The main question is how many of those are interested in being early adopters for VR and have enough money to buy a $600 peripheral. Anyone else is going to have to get a $300+ card on top of a $600 kit, and maybe have to upgrade the rest of their computer to support the new card.
    That's why PS VR looks more promising in terms of selling/user base. All those who already have ps4 are good to go. And I somehow think the device itself at least won't cost more.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Posting this Fantastic Contraption video, not because the game looks amazing or anything, but because it shows off just how natural interaction with the game world can be, using a VR headset and tracked controllers.

I had a go on a Vive/Steam VR thingy the other week, and it was impressive how natural everything felt. Despite going in with the mindset of a total skeptic, I still had a good time.

It was just a couple of the demo games I tried - a fruit ninja one where you slash at fruit being lobbed at you, and a cooking game where you have to find ingredients in a virtual kitchen that surrounds you and put it all together according to recipes on the wall. The tracking was perfect, and so doing everything was instantly organic, even if you look a right tit to outside observers.

Unfortunately it needs big sensors in the corners of the play space, and a hefty PC to avoid lag and flickering. Also never pictured - the gigantic cables trailing from the back of your head. Nonetheless, it was fun, and one area I can see it being really useful is in training simulations - military, fire-fighters, that sort of thing. Definitely still at the stage of being prohibitively expensive for the home user though I think.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Posting this Fantastic Contraption video, not because the game looks amazing or anything, but because it shows off just how natural interaction with the game world can be, using a VR headset and tracked controllers.

This. This is a group that gets it. Very few seem to.

You know what would be really, truly, freakin' awesomely good in VR (with Touch controls)? Homeworld. Most of what makes that game difficult is seeing and interacting with three-dimensional space. VR would make it so much easier to play, while being immersed in those gorgeous sets would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post

Also, good games are a must before it's going to take off.
    People are overthinking it, I played the Thief games on the 2nd Devkit just fine with a lowly Hd6950, it was a fantastic experience aside from the quirks (screendoor near black ghosting).

Sure, if you want the plug and play experience and the latest titles then you'll need the 1000$ machine to go with it, if you just want an awesome way to play some older titles that look fantastic on an oled screen, (Thief, Dishonored) Vorpx will probably have you covered soon after release.

You could always check out osvr and vrvana as well for a cheaper option: https://www.vrvana.com/ http://www.razerzone.com/osvr
    Last edited by mikjames; 25th Jan 2016 at 01:30.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh, I tried getting Thief 2 working with the DK1 way back then, but didn't have much luck. You wouldn't happen to have a handy guide lying around for getting it running? Also, I've gotten nauseous from every first person on-foot game I've played with the Rift, didn't you experience any of that? How long play sessions did you manage?

On another forum, I've heard good things about VorpX and DK2, but even the biggest proponents of Oculus Rift and VR say that 1) even at best it's always a compromise, 2) it works best for games where you're in a vehicle of sorts (car, plane, mech) and, perhaps most relevantly, 3) jumping in first person is just about the quickest way to make people violently sick. Which makes me all the more impressed that there are people who not only played Mirror's Edge in VR, using VorpX, but that some of them even *enjoyed* the game.

There are some updated impressions here:

http://www.slashgear.com/why-vr-is-t...rain-20423784/
    http://www.slashgear.com/why-vr-is-t...tion-26424372/

All very gushing, but to me it sounds like genuine excitement rather than PR piffle.

A slow moving game like Thief/Dishonored with minimal character head bob was a wonderful, non sickening experience. I just used Vorpx which is really almost plug and play at this point, not sure if they support the dk1.

I tried Mirror's Edge, I really wish I hadn't. I think if you remove the exaggerated character head bobbing you might only get motion sick after 10 mins of play rather than 10 seconds

Some people can handle fast paced games in Vr and others can't, there's just no getting around that. If your the type that might not feel so great when jumping between rooftops and landing in a dizzying roll then Mirror's Edge in vr probably isn't for you/me.

I'll likely be buying an Oculus on release (to many vr options to say for sure).
    I'll try to remember the folks here in between gaming sessions, and let you know how the Thief experience is compared to dk2

I read somewhere that the Vive supposedly can be linked to the user's mobile phone, so that you can answer calls and see text messages while in VR. I'm hoping that Oculus Rift will have a similar function - or at the very least allow for something similar using Facebook PMs, seeing how FB and Oculus are chums. That way my wife could let me know when it's time for me to stop playing and prepare dinner.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Huh, installing the latest Nvidia driver made the DK2 stop working. I reinstalled a driver from December (361.43), and everything seems to work fine again. Also, under GeForce Experience I see that apparently my rig is not quite VR ready. GTX970 is the minimum recommended card, and I have a GTX960. Damn, I was hoping this rig I put together about a year ago would meet the recommended specs. Once I've figured out which HMD I wanna get, I guess I might have to pick up a new graphics card as well.

Chakat sex pillow
    I wouldn't recommend it just yet. There's a whole bunch of stuff going on with the 970 being not-so-competitive with AMD cards when it comes to DX12 because AMD's been packing their chips with async compute engines for a generation or two, whereas nvidia's been more about raw power efficiency instead of packing in redundant compute engines to be leveraged for better multi-threading. Basically, this means DX12 titles that utilise asynchronous compute tend to do better on AMD hardware for now.

I'd say wait for Polaris and Pascal to come out and check the reviews first before upgrading. Pascal should come out in June if the internet grapevine's got it right, and hopefully there should be better news for DX12 support at that point. We may also have more games utilising the Vulkan API at that point, so that's another benchmark dataset to keep in mind.

I'm definitely hoping to upgrade to Pascal at some point due to VR. Is anything known yet when they'll be coming out? Last I heard was June or July, but it's all been vague rumours.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A lot of Oculus Rift reviews have been popping up today, and a lot of them are good!

Having spent the last weekend playing a lot of VR games I'm kinda kicking myself for not having pre-ordered one. I wanna play more Distance and Euro Truck Simulator 2! And some of the new launch games are enticing as well. Looking forward to reviews of Chronos and Adrift. Still, I know the smart play is to wait till the Vive is out, and some more sober reviews and comparisons have been made, after the initial novelty has worn off. Of course, the really smart play is to wait for the second generation, when the hardware is improved, cheaper, and hopefully wireless. But I'm not that smart.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182328333843 ... LastLast