TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192429343944 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

At least you're in good, non-smart company, henke!

Level 10,000 achieved

Borrowed the Rift again this weekend when I realized that you can access the Oculus Store and all the new games even with a DK2. Just tried it out. Very nice, clean, and easy to use. Looks a lot like the Gear VR store, but beefed up. Also I was glad to discover that Lucky's Tale is free! The other 2 games that are complimentary for CV1 buyers isn't free for DK2 users tho. Also started downloading Henry, the short animated film about a hedgehog they've put together. Will play and watch and report back. I'm eyeing Chronos as well, but it's €50. Not sure I want it that badly, especially with DS3 just around the corner.

Level 10,000 achieved
    First impressions of Oculus Home, and the games.

Correction to my last post: it does appear that Farlands, one of the other free launch games is free for me as well. Eve:Valkyrie is still 60 tho.

YAY! Lucky's Tale

This is a really fun, solid platformer. I've had a good time playing through both the story mode, time trial and "find all the coins" mode for most of the first 3 chapter's levels. The first level in chapter 4 however is too stuttery for me to play through. Oddly enough the game runs smoothly up until that point but then it's lag city all of a sudden. The game's Comfort Level in the Oculus Store is Moderate and I can attest to that. The constantly floating camera does make me a tad nauseous after longer sessions, meaning I've been limiting them to a few levels at a time.

NAY! No install directory options

It installs itself and all the games to C:, where I have very little free space, so I couldn't even install Farlands, had to delete the short films after having watched them to make room. Apparently there'll be a patch in a couple weeks that'll include the option to save on any drive.

MEYH! The short films

I watched Henry and Lost. Lost does some nice things with scale, but it's so short it's barely a scene, let alone a short film. Henry is also pretty short, but ok. It's not Pixar or anything. Also tried Oculus Dreamscapes which is just a collection of scenes you can look around in. Folks new to VR will probably love this, I kinda feel like I've seen most of it before.

I did start up Farlands today, but the performance was pretty stuttery for me. Can't say much about it.

verbose douchebag

Oh yeah. I'd completely forgotten that Facebook bought Oculus.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that is kinda creepy. As for Facebook's involvement in the end-user experience, so far it's been practically non-existent. I remember back when the acquisition was announced nightmare-scenarios of the Rift being turned into a socal media device first and gaming device second loomed in comment sections across the internet, but thankfully that has not come to pass (for now, that is). I didn't see a Facebook logo during either the installation or usage of Oculus Home, and the only social media feature present is a buddy list.

Anyway, a cool new app showed up in Oculus Home on Sunday, The Foo Show!

This is a rudimentarily motion captured(using Vive headsets and wands, I believe) VR talkshow, hosted by Will Smith(he of Tested.com fame, not of getting jiggy with it fame). The first episode is an interview by the Campo Santo guys who made Firewatch, and the show takes you inside the watchtower in that game, where the guests discuss the making of it while fooling around with the game's assets. The video doesn't quite convey just how cool this was, but standing next to Sean Vanaman as he reads the ad copy on the back of an in-game book and talking about the creation of it, was a surreal mix of reality, videogame, and podcast. I'm trying not to sound like a crazy overhyping person here, but it felt like the birth of a new medium. There, am I hyping this enough? It was crazy ok.

Facebook is in it for the long game, and I think for now they want the tech to just get established and matured, so are giving the devs total control whatever they expect will do that best. And better to buy last whenever than 10 years from now.

That's cool about being in the "same room" as some event. Nothing quite hits as hard as authenticity, witnessing the real thing, and this may really sell that.

I recently wrote a blog post about how I have much more of a sense of presence in coop games, in particular in first person. I can only imagine how powerful this could potentially be in social applications in VR, where you know that the character you're interacting with - or even just sharing a space with - is an actual person.

I'm looking forward to something along the lines of our TTLG GTA heists in VR, once that sort of thing exists and works well. And then, once the heist's done, it all turns into a gruesome Lord of the Flies-style social experiment when henke beats me to death next to a dingy hillbilly dive. And in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    NAY! No install directory options

It installs itself and all the games to C:, where I have very little free space, so I couldn't even install Farlands, had to delete the short films after having watched them to make room. Apparently there'll be a patch in a couple weeks that'll include the option to save on any drive
    You can get around this by moving the Oculus folder to another drive and making a link to it from the C drive. Details are on the Oculus forums (and it's a standard thing).

I have a Rift CV1 on the way sometime soon and I've been playing the new games with my DK2 while I wait. I am looking forward to motion controls for the real "virtual" experience, but I also really like what VR does for traditional video game genres (such as platforming and RTS).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I know about that, but it seemed to be a bit of a hassle and apparently it's not very compatible with future updates?

Level 10,000 achieved
    What's the advantage of having a separate store for it you mean? Not much, it's mostly just an annoyance.

If you're asking what's the advantage of the Rift over Vive. It's slightly cheaper(tho without touchcontrollers) and more comfortable.

I'm actually leaning towards the Rift right now. I don't think Room-scale will be really good until the cable is removed in future versions, and I feel like I'll mostly end up playing sitting down games with it anyway.

From what I've read, room scale is definitely well within the Rift's abilities, though possibly less robustly than with the Vive. However, it's mainly the Touch controllers that aren't yet available that make the big difference.

Conceptually, I love the idea of room scale, but in practice, I think it may be more limiting, at least for more traditional AAA games. I'm very curious to see what the more experimental indie developers make of it, though, devs like Blendo or Davey Wreden. In terms of actual playing, I see myself in the same virtual boat as henke. I'm mainly interested in sitting-down games, sims (though rather action sims than the more hardcore ones).

I could imagine that while a lot of the big games won't immediately offer VR gameplay, they might include specific VR modes: spectator modes where you're in the game, model viewers and 'tourist modes', that sort of thing. Imagine a spectator mode for Star Wars Battlefront that allows you to see everything from a bird's eye perspective, like a general overlooking a hologram of the battlefield, and then you press a button and you're in the cockpit of an Imperial Walker or standing on the battlefield, able to look around. Something more abstract like this would also work better with different ways of moving about, e.g. teleporting rather than fake-walking by pressing W or a thumbstick (which seems to bring on nausea more quickly) or real-walking in room scale (which is limited by the size of the room).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    it's mainly the Touch controllers that aren't yet available that make the big difference.
    That and the second positional tracker that comes with them, which makes sure your tracking stays even when you turn away from the default tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    In terms of actual playing, I see myself in the same virtual boat as henke.
    ALL ABOARD THE VR BOAT! CHOO CHOO!

While I'm keen to try out that Aperture Science suite of mini-games (if they work with Oculus Rift once the Touch controllers are out), the one room-scale application I'm most curious about is Tilt Brush, the VR painting software, if it will be available for Oculus Rift, or otherwise whatever equivalent app there'll be.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah Tilt Brush looks neat. Tho painting and 3D modelling apps should work just as well sitting. In fact they'll have to if they're going to be a thing anyone will want to use for actual production rather than just being a neat thing. I say that with the authority of being a 3D artist who won't haul his fat ass out of the officechair just to do some modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    That and the second positional tracker that comes with them, which makes sure your tracking stays even when you turn away from the default tracker.
    You don't need a second camera for your head to still be tracked when you turn away. It's more for when your hands are blocked your body.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh, that's with the CV1, I take it? IIRC positional tracking would break when looking away with the DK2.

Does anybody know anything about the nausea-inducement profile of those devices? Surely they'd feel more natural than moving with buttons. But they do nothing about the inner ear mismatch.

Level 10,000 achieved

Gear VR news

Made an exciting discovery recently. Apparently there's a program that lets you stream VR content from your PC to a Gear VR!

Of course the Gear VR has no positional tracking, so this would work essentially like a Rift DK1, but with higher resolution and no wires. And a lot more latency I assume. I've been reading mixed things about how well it works, but I intend to try it myself later this week.

A thing I did get around to trying over the weekend however, was connecting my dualshock 4 to the Gear. I'd tried before with poor results, but this time it worked better. Managed to get a lag-free experience playing Herobound, which is a Chronos-esque thing. However, apparently DS4 won't work with most Gear VR games, and when I tried it again the next day I could not get the input to stop lagging no matter what I did, so yeah, an Android gamepad really is needed for this kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Once omni-directional treadmills (with jumping/sitting/crouching and no rings a la Katwalk) become a core part of the setup, VR will become something truly amazing and transformative.
    Omni directional "treadmills" will never become a thing because they're all garbage and don't feel anything like walking.

Except that they perfectly track the location of your hands, so actual arm movement and pointing and stuff feel totally natural. The omni-treadmill things don't actually track your feet and there's nothing remotely natural about the gait required to use them.

There's a reason that nobody at the last CES or GDC wrote a word about them, and that's because they tried them the year before, said 'jesus christ this thing is shit' and never went back.

Locomotion is cracked. It's called room scale. It's what the Vive does.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, that's easy to solve. Shave the VR user's head and drill electrodes into their cerebellums that send signals based on analogue stick input to simulate the feeling of walking. Simple.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah room-scale is a far cry from being able to move around a regular videogame level in first person, like we're used to. Once we have HMDs with no cables that'll take care of the problem of turning in a FPS, by having the user actually turn(or swivel in a chair) instead of pressing a thumbstick, but that's only part of the problem. How to solve actually moving around is trickier.

And I hate to say this, because it makes me feel like one of those nay-sayers who don't believe in VR without having even tried it, but I don't have much faith in VR treadmills.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual...-and-steam-vr/
    So Oculus Rift on the software side is a walled garden ecosystem that locks out other VR headsets and forces people to use ANOTHER game launcher client which sucks in comparison to Steam? No thanks, Vive wins by default in my eyes! Rift is gonna have to some real killer apps to pry people away from Steam. Keep this console-esque exclusive mentality the hell away from PC gaming!

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192429343944 ... LastLast