TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126313641 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Henke, I can't remember whether you've ever said anything about Metroid Prime, but it seems that Dolphin VR has made some pretty neat steps:

http://www.roadtovr.com/play-metroid...th-dolphin-vr/

Definitely something I'll have to try, though not immediately. Gotta find my VR legs first!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, no I wasn't aware of DolphinVR. That's neat.

I'm curious: what are the thoughts of people here who both play and develop games on how to do locomotion well in VR? It seems that this is one of the big challenges - making it clear, intuitive and non-nauseating. Room scale addresses this to some extent, but only with room-scale experiences, and teleportation works for some kinds of games but not others (I wouldn't want to teleport through Skyrim, for instance).

In the VR future, all game characters ride Segways.

If astronauts can get over the movement/visual offset than gamers can too. I'm sure our grandkids will be doing it from early on so it'll just be natural to move without moving.

Even then, though, there may be better ways of controlling movement in VR than WASD or analog sticks. And the present success of VR is at least partly predicated on developers finding ways to decrease discomfort or nausea and possibly better ways of doing locomotion. (I recently read a paper resulting from a VR study in which they experimented with dynamically adjusting FOV, which seemed to help a lot with discomfort and nausea.)

I don't think your basic FPS-style game is ever going to work well in VR. In fact, they cause a not-insignificant amount of nausea even without VR. For slower paced experiences, Land's End style movement seems to be acceptable.

Level 10,000 achieved
    One of the 2 VR projects I've done at work actually had you walking around an apartment freely in first person. It was for the Gear VR, and amazingly almost noone got nauseous from it. The Gear VR being wireless immediately lets you get rid of one of the most nausea inducing things with first person VR, artificial turning. Instead the user stands, or sits in an office chair, and turns around to... well, turn around. Of course one of the drawbacks with the Gear VR is the limited controls. There are just 2 buttons really. One was used for accessing the menu and selecting other apartments, and the other for walking forwards. Interacting with objects was done by looking at a hotspot for a second.

Oh god yea, I experienced that too. I've never had any motion sickness in a game before, but trying occulus and moving my head while spinning with a controller made me pretty queasy. Tho it also might be a matter of just getting used to it too.

...I've never even done it, lol.

How does Land's End do movement? (I'm hoping it'll come to Oculus Rift before long.)

I expect that movement speed factors into this; I imagine the glacial movement of The Chinese Room's games (or whatever you want to call them) would mitigate nausea. It's a shame that apparently The Witness doesn't work with the Rift's CV1, at least not without using additional software such as VorpX, because I think I would enjoy just walking around the island in VR, never mind doing any puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    How does Land's End do movement?
    There's little white balls lying around, and if you look at one for a second, you'll drift over to it (speed dependent on distance).

(I'm hoping it'll come to Oculus Rift before long.)
    It's kind of low-poly and literally requires that the player be able to turn all the way around, so I don't know. Monument Valley remains mobile-only, right?

Some more OR impressions:

- 360 videos are cool and wow-inducing (I especially liked the Lion King opening), but the effect wears off quickly, at least for me. Great for demoing to others, I could imagine, especially those who aren't necessarily into games. What I'd like to see, though, would be a 360 OK Go video.
    - Time Machine VR: Perhaps my favourite game so far. Very low on challenge, but it gives you a fantastic sense of being there in a prehistoric ocean. The controls also work very well. Great "My first VR game"-style experience.
    - Elite Dangerous: This'll take more time, and I have to dust off my HOTAS, but I expect this will be what I'll want to graduate to after Time Machine VR. Again, great sense of presence, which is exactly what I want from a space game. I haven't spent much time in it, but already taking off and landing is very, very cool, and I imagine that playing with HOTAS will increase the immersion.
    - I know that people complained about OR including headphones in the headset, but I like them a lot. I've got good headphones, but I wouldn't want to add another set of cables to what I'm wearing when in VR, so I'm perfectly okay with these.

Another quick update: Dirt Rally in VR rules. Yes, it's a bit blurry, but being able to look around and especially look into the turn makes a big difference - and crashes in VR first person feel pretty horrific.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh cool, I see they've updated the VR support in the new version released today. It was pretty rough back when I tried it. Is the UI text readable and the menus usable now?

I can't say what it'd be like on DK2, but I thought the menus and UI worked pretty well. Having said that, I get pretty strong fogging, which makes it difficult to read text and to judge how readable it'd be without the fogging. Gotta find a way to make this less of an issue.

verbose douchebag
    - Elite Dangerous: This'll take more time, and I have to dust off my HOTAS, but I expect this will be what I'll want to graduate to after Time Machine VR. Again, great sense of presence, which is exactly what I want from a space game. I haven't spent much time in it, but already taking off and landing is very, very cool, and I imagine that playing with HOTAS will increase the immersion.
    OT, but with both you and Henke having this (I think Malf also does), might be worth planning some MP fun at some point if that's possible.

and crashes in VR first person feel pretty horrific.
    Just wait till they add force feedback

Not sure if it's spending more than an hour in the Rift or lack of sleep, but today I quickly popped into town for some shopping, and I had this faint, odd feeling that my body wasn't actually there. It wasn't a strong feeling or anything, just a slight touch of the unreal. Which makes me think that playing in VR with a fever or on drugs would do a real number on my brain.

On a different note: Virtual Desktop is unexpectedly cool. I must've had a big goofy grin on my face as I was floating in deep space while watching the Sean Bean-voiced Civ VI trailer on a curved screen floating in front of me.

Not sure if it's spending more than an hour in the Rift or lack of sleep, but today I quickly popped into town for some shopping, and I had this faint, odd feeling that my body wasn't actually there. It wasn't a strong feeling or anything, just a slight touch of the unreal.
    Sounds more like a general fatigue issue to me than something connected to your use of VR. A lack of sleep does various things to your brain, including messing with your sensory inputs in both subtle and obvious ways.

Ladies and gentlemen, the cyberpunkian reality dissonance has officially begun ;p

So, I've just tried out Quake VR (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/24/quake-vr/), and while I wasn't too keen on the default aim mode, which couples the gun to where you're looking, once I decoupled view direction from aim/movement, I was fine. Could I play this for hours? I dunno, but being *in* Quake is definitely fun. Also, it performs like a dream, seeing how the game is a 100,000 years old.

My Gear VR, which was included when I got a new phone some time ago, has been sitting on the shelf ever since, but yesterday I finally got to trying it out. I don't know how it compares to the ones with built-in screens, but it's pretty good, and being able to turn around without any cables getting in the way was great. The only disadvantage is that my phone gets pretty hot after a while and has to cool down before I can continue, so playing for hours without breaks is not possible (I was able to squeeze in somewhere around 1 hour, before being told that my phone was too hot). I have so far only tried the free games/experiences, which were all pretty short and kind of limited, but still, for the most part, worked well as an introduction.

I also got a wireless gamepad separately (which I can connect to both my cellphone and my laptop). Not all VR-games (of the ones I've tried so far) support using a gamepad, but for those that did I found it to be more comfortable than using the controls on the Gear VR itself.

How do the versions with built-in screens compare to the ones using a cellphone as the screen (for example in regards to resolution)?

It's not a game, nor is it very extensive, but I really like this VR demo inspired by Blade Runner:

https://www.wearvr.com/apps/la2097

Next VR session I have, I'll want to run the demo while the Blade Runner soundtrack plays in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    How do the versions with built-in screens compare to the ones using a cellphone as the screen (for example in regards to resolution)?
    Resolution is actually about the same, depending on the phone you use in the Gear. For example the Galaxy S7 is 2560x1440, and the combined resolution of the Vive's screens is 2160x1200, but where the Vive's screens are constructed in such a way that almost all the pixels are being used, when you use the Gear a lot of the screen is out of range of the lenses, so effectively you're back to the same visible resolution as the Vive.

FOV is wider on the Vive and Rift compared to the Gear (though an updated Gear with a wider FOV was just announced that'll come out with the Note 7), and you can adjust the physical IPD on the PC driven ones. Some Gear apps have options that let you adjust the virtual IPD (that is: the distance between the cameras that are rendering the left and right eyes), but the effect on the experience isn't quite the same.

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126313641 ... LastLast