TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Have you had any issues with nausea, henke? I've been lucky; the games aren't all equally comfortable, but nothing has made me feel outright sick so far.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Sure, Adr1ft most recently. And Half Life 2 and lots of other early VR things, way back when I started this thread.

While I didn't particularly like Dear Angelica's storytelling, I love what they do with stylised animation and the sense of prince you have in VR. That's probably what I like best about the current VR pioneers; they're trying stuff out, they're playing with the medium, without being held back by notions of what makes AAA content. Sadly, that seems to be the case much more in animation/demos than in VR games, which IMO could do with more of an adventurous spirit.

Level 10,000 achieved
    HERE COMES AYYYYYYMOS

This shit is so far up my alley I barely even care how half-assedly it's put together. Really, the execution isn't great. Things like menus sometimes remain in the background of scenes, there's a lot of stutter whenever it's raining, most of the level design is terrible and the VR implementation leaves a lot to be desired. But, like I said, the gameplay is pretty much Tricky Truck crossed with Trials. How am I not gonna like it?

Henke, since you've got your new graphics card, I'd recommend installing the Oculus Tray Tool if you haven't already. Among other things, it allows you to adjust supersampling on a game-by-game basis - which doesn't sound like much, but for instance in Edge of Nowhere the difference between no SS and 1.5 SS feels like an actual, significant bump in resolution. Things are just so much crisper. I don't expect you'd be able to have SS on in every game, but especially those that came out pretty much at the same time as Oculus Rift and Vive should mostly work well with SS somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5.

Also, I've finished Edge of Nowhere, and it's fun and nicely done, though it's no more than a 7 out of 10. It's too simplistic and repetitive in terms of gameplay to warrant more, and the story, while told well, is predictable and generic in the way that so many H.P. Lovecraft-inspired stories are. It's worth playing once, but I'd suggest getting it once it's on special offer.

Question to henke: I kinda suck at Chronos. While I'm getting somewhat less bad at blocking and countering, I haven't figured out how to time evading. Any tips? (Also, I wish that they had some sort of note-taking functionality in the game; remembering several three-symbol codes, even if they're short, isn't exactly my thing, doubly so because it's difficult to take actual notes while wearing a headset.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just watch the enemies as they wind up for attacks. I feel like they're telegraphed quite well in Chronos. Maybe a way to practice your evading-skills is to simply not attack for a while, but just focus on dodging until it feels natural. Agreed on the note-taking, that would've made certain parts much easier.

For the past few days, Oculus Medium is the thing I've spent the most time with in VR. I know it's kind of an odd recommendation, but I highly suggest doing the tutorials, even if you're not too interested in actually making anything in Medium. There's something very relaxing and mellow about those VR sculpting classes.

Thanks, will get in some evading practice. I'm already over 30 and still in the first area; I hope I won't die of old age before finishing!

Medium is pretty cool. I haven't spent much time with it, but I like being able to take someone else's sculpture, shrink it until it fits in the palm of my hand, then make it bigger until it towers over me. Scale is just such an entirely different thing in VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Lucky's Tale. Solid but unremarkable 3D platformer.

Also played a bit of AirMech Command which I picked up in the last sale, but I'm just not feeling it. Reminds me a lot of Z, which I didn't like either.

Re: Lucky's Tale: I haven't finished it, mainly because as a game it's competent but mediocre - and while some good-but-not-great games are vastly improved by the immersion that comes with VR (I'm thinking of Edge of Nowhere, for instance), Lucky's Tale simply isn't atmospheric enough. I could imagine a 3D platformer of the same quality as one of the 3D Super Mario games to be great in VR - just imagine Super Mario Galaxy's planets! - but Lucky's Tale ain't it. It's just too bland, like one of the more boring kids' cartoons they show on TV.

I'm kinda curious about Ultrawings, which puts you in an ultra-light plane, controlling it with the Touch controllers. Reviews suggest that this works well in spite of the lack of haptic feedback.

Edit: I also briefly checked out The Solus Project, a game that does seem to be mediocre without VR, but in VR it comes to life. Weirdly enough, it defaults to just using Touch controllers for movement, which is more than a little awkward, but once I realised there's an option to use motion controllers for everything, it improved quite massively. There's something really neat about having a tablet-like device attached to your wrist and being able to just look down at it. Here's hoping they'll do a good job with Fallout 4 VR and the Pipboy.

Got on a fair bit with Chronos; I got the spear, which makes fights much easier, and I got to the queen in the second area. I also found a key card, and the access it gave me to previously closed-off areas definitely adds an intriguing wrinkle to the game's story. Best of all, I only managed to die once, after last weekend's session I died way too often. Either I'm getting better or the game's taken mercy on me.

I also tried a quick race in Dirt Rally, and yup, I still suck at the game. I'm thinking that I'll probably have to watch all the tutorial videos as well as read online tips, because my impression is that this is the kind of racing game where I have little to no chance without tuning the cars and controls myself.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yes, the different weapons definitely help against different opponents. Spear is good for groups, because it lets you keep them at range, and heavier weapons work well against heavily armored opponents. And yeah, the area you need the keycard for was very creepy.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for bungling the flute player's second riddle. In hindsight it was blatantly clear, but I picked the wrong solution and had to fight him. :-/

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I think I messed up one of those as well.

Thing What Kicks
    Well, took delivery of the Rift and controllers today, woohoo!
    Unfortunately, my graphics card's HDMI port is a mini one, so I have to get an adapter before I can properly set it up. Should arrive tomorrow.
    Also, looking forward to stuff like Bridge Crew and Polybius!
    6 month PSVR timed exclusive on Polybius though

Yay! (Not the HDMI thing, obviously.) Hoping you'll enjoy your first VR weekend.

Aaaaand I've just arrived at, and been killed by, the second of the main bosses. At least I think so: it's the steampunk robot guy with the four arms and swords. I'm not sure if the guy just has a veeeery long health bar or whether I'm doing something wrong; I did fight him for about ten minutes, getting in a fair number of hits, but while the game could be better at giving visual feedback: when he kneels down, does he regenerate, or is that just an opportunity for me to whale on him without any risk to myself?

I passed the tile puzzle with the moons relatively quickly, but entirely by intuition; it's only afterwards that I realised how it worked. Not sure whether I'm happy about this or mildly frustrated.

Also, those stone monsters that are clearly inspired by Doctor Who's Weeping Angels? Yup, they're effective. The game as a whole, while undoubtedly more immersive in VR, doesn't make much specific use of the medium, so it's neat to see it doing so, even if just for this one opponent.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooof, the 4-armed robot boss is the toughest one. I had to replay that one several times. I don't think he regenerates, just has tons of HP.

@Malf: YAY!

Thing What Kicks
    BTW henke, have you noticed the Oculus logo here?
    I mean, it's nowhere else, including on the main site. How would it even work?!

Also noticed there's a free VR update for Race the Sun, whoop! That should do me while I wait for Polybius.

Superhot VR's paid-for even if you already own it, right? And only available through the Oculus store?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    BTW henke, have you noticed the Oculus logo here?
    I mean, it's nowhere else, including on the main site. How would it even work?!
    Yeah, in the game's options there's also a listing for VR (Soon). They mentioned on the Steam forums that they're going to start looking into VR implementation, including touch-controls, now that the game's out.

Skeptical about how well a straight-up VR version of the game's campaign would work, but seeing how much Pixel Titans enjoys coming up with separate game-modes for everything, a custom VR mode with Robo Recall-esque teleportation-movement might work well.

In other VR FPS news, someone's revamping HL2's VR.

I liked HL2 in VR back in the DK2 days, even though the longest session I could stomach was around 45min. Curious to see how this turns out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    And Payday 2 is getting VR support as well!

I have Payday 2, never really got around to playing it, but maybe we should co-op it at some point.

Thing What Kicks
    Interesting. I avoid multiplayer only games these days, but I can see VR co-op being a good enough reason to buy such games.

Honestly, that Eurogamer Bridge Crew video probably did more to reignite my interest in VR than anything else I've seen recently. If only Elite Dangerous' multi-crew had worked out the same

Superhot VR's paid-for even if you already own it, right? And only available through the Oculus store?
    Yup, in response to both questions. It's basically its own game, not a VR mode for the existing game. There are distinct differences, although obviously the aesthetic is the same and many of the levels are reminiscent of the non-VR game.

Thing What Kicks
    Fuuuuuuuuu...

So, first off? Looks like my PC is ancient enough that its USB 3 ports are on the blacklist for the sensors (but weirdly not for the headset). Fine. No problem, those work on USB 2, and seem to perfectly as I was able to "Define my play area".
    The real problem came when I got to the stage in setup where it told me to continue in VR.

No video. Light in the headset is orange.

Doing a bit of digging, it turns out the rift doesn't like DP to HDMI adapters and needs plugging in to an HDMI socket. I bought two adapters just in case, one DP to HDMI, one mini HDMI to full fat, buuuut... the HDMI to HDMI is male to male.
    ARGH. I is a dumbarse.
    No VR for me this weekend.

Of course, I'm now worried it may not like HDMI to HDMI adapters either, or that I'm going to have to look at buying a whole new bloody PC to accommodate Rift, but I'll try another adapter first.

Buggrin buggry.
    Last edited by Malf; 12th May 2017 at 15:16.

Of course, I'm now worried it may not like HDMI to HDMI adapters either, or that I'm going to have to look at buying a whole new bloody PC to accommodate Rift, but I'll try another adapter first.
    Even that would be worth it! But really, you might be able to get away with just buying a new video card, but hopefully, you won't need to do anything that drastic.

What video card do you have?

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540 ... LastLast