TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

I have now shelled out more, but only after being reassured (in writing) by amazon's helpdesk that they'd refund the difference if I bought it again today.

What's the ETA for the replacement headset?

It's a shame you didn't get the headset first and the Touch controllers were the ones that had to be resent; by getting the two things a few months apart, I had the "wow!" moment twice. Once when a T.Rex stomped towards me and then over me, and once when I could actually grab stuff in cyberspace.

Thing What Kicks
    The thing that made me lose my shit was First Contact. It's so well implemented as part of the overall set-up process, and includes all the stuff you'll be experiencing in most VR experiences. I even go back to it occasionally and discover something new every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    What's the ETA for the replacement headset?

It's a shame you didn't get the headset first and the Touch controllers were the ones that had to be resent; by getting the two things a few months apart, I had the "wow!" moment twice. Once when a T.Rex stomped towards me and then over me, and once when I could actually grab stuff in cyberspace.
    Should be Tuesday. And I guess I'll have to settle for two wows in rapid succession.

For the sake of linguistic efficiency, you may want to settle on one single, drawn-out wow.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wooooow.

Where do you guys buy your games? Oculus store or Steam? I heard in gggmanlives' review of Arizona Sunshine that the Steam store version had issues that the Oculus store version didn't. Is that common?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Where do you guys buy your games? Oculus store or Steam? I heard in gggmanlives' review of Arizona Sunshine that the Steam store version had issues that the Oculus store version didn't. Is that common?
    I prefer to buy things in the Oculus store if I can.

Mostly the Oculus store, simply because it generally works more smoothly with the Rift. It's easier to handle, but the difference isn't huge.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Oculus Store as a platform is severely lacking compared to Steam. No forums, no screenshot function, very few options about anything, no refunds, even the store pages lack basic features like patch notes or showing which of your friends own the game. Yet, the experience with Rift games is generally smoother when using the Oculus Store. I suggest you try some of the free Steam VR stuff (The Lab, the Budget Cuts demo) and compare the experiences.

By the way, I can really recommend the Oculus Tray Tool (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...lus_tray_tool/), especially if your CPU/GPU is fast enough to do supersampling. It also makes it easier to integrate Steam into Oculus Home (by appropriating an Oculus app you don't need and turning it into a link to Steam).

FUCK

Wahey, new part of the adventure! So when I bought the Rift for the second time, as Amazon's helpdesk told me to, the only available sellers were third parties. This means they can't refund the difference. Awesome. I've got two options now:
    1. Accept amazon.de store credit for that amount
    2. Refuse to accept the package tomorrow, and order AGAIN, this time from Amazon directly

I really just don't know.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh Jesus Christ.

Can you transfer Amazon.de credit? How much are we talking about? I order stuff from them every now and then, so perhaps I could transfer you the difference and we figure out what to do with the Amazon credit.

Edit: It should be possible to transfer the credit by gifting an Amazon voucher; if you wanted to do this, Jesh, I'd be happy to transfer you the sum so you don't have to refuse to accept the package and start the whole rigmarole again.
    Last edited by Thirith; 24th Jul 2017 at 09:51.

Chakat sex pillow
    Makes sense. I'd call up their customer support desk and ask them to ensure they convert the order to ship out a new one after you reject delivery, which you will have to do either way. Check their item stocks first though.

You could just bite the bullet and accept it at full price and feel burned, but I'd personally advocate persistence and wherewithal etc. because part of the human condition is choosing to be a persevering almighty PITA no matter what.

Alright, I'm at the setup step where you need to hook up your headset and sensors. Both sensors are showing up, as is the headset USB connection. The HDMI connection, though, stays unrecognized. I've tried all 3 mini displayports on my GPU, I updated my display drivers, and I've tried rebooting.
    I'm connecting the HDMI connector through an HDMI to mini displayport adapter. I'm kinda scared that maybe all 3 of my mini displayport ports on my GPU have died, since the secondary monitor I have has not been getting any image at all (I've since decoupled it, but thought it'd died of old age at a respectable 8 years).
    Now I'm just left wondering how I check which component isn't doing what it should. The adapter? The GPU? The headset?

Thing What Kicks
    Does your card not have an HDMI port at all Jesh?
    Looks like our Steam chat dropped due to routine maintenance :E

I've not read these threads in their entirety, and you may already have found them, but perhaps there's something there that could help:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/...apters-do-work
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/...-never-find-it

Thing What Kicks
    We think Jesh may have it sorted. While not the same manufacturer, his GTX970 has the same outputs my one did. So he's picking up the same mini-to-normal HDMI adaptor today that I bought for my card.
    Ans we're pretty confident that it's not his USB 3 ports. Oculus Setup seems happy with those.

I did get it sorted last night, with the mini HDMI adapter. Thanks to Malf for his support!

Played the Oculus floaty Johnny 5 demo and some Robo Recall. Very impressed with how the touch controllers allow educated guesswork on what your fingers are doing. I didn't expect them to sense button/trigger/stick touches without pressing the things.

In Robo Recall, if you try to peer at distant enemies, the limitations of the resolution become very apparent though. I also didn't expect the game to stick so much to which direction is the front, but that works out pretty well. Having no peripheral vision is going to take some adjustment though, and I frequently found myself being shot at from the side. I'll probably get Superhot VR tonight, but I'm expecting something similar.

No motion sickness so far with Robo Recall's teleports, but I'll probably be looking to see if I can change that tonight with To The Top.

Glad it's finally working at your end!

Concerning motion sickness: I've been lucky not to feel really bad in any of the VR games I've played, but you know what came closest? Minecraft. There's something about its smooth, gliding motion controlled by the left stick that feels decidedly odd. I've heard others describe stick-controlled VR locomotion as being akin to riding around on a Segway, and while I've never been on one, I imagine it to be a bit like this - except in VR you don't have any handlebars. It's not so much the movement, actually, as that brief moment when you come to a halt and your body thinks it should continue moving.

It's funny that the relatively low FOV never bothered me. Makes me wonder if my real-life FOV is generally low...

Superhot definitely shares a lot of elements with Robo Recall, but to me it still *felt* decidedly different. On the one hand, it plays more like a puzzle at times, on the other there's a decidedly surreal, dreamlike quality to it due to the slo-mo and the stylised visuals.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Glad you got it working Jesh! Let us know how To The Top plays, it looks like fun.

I see what you guys mean about the Steam VR experience now. Oculus has been really smooth, but Steam has a number of rough edges:
    • Very pronounced stutter when loading games/levels or returning to the Steam home environment (its main menu). This is the worst thing in comparison to Oculus' main VR menu.
    • The Steam community overlay has no links to store pages from the game's community page
    • The chat section is a mess, over eager to select text, but with no ability to click links? Also who though drag scrolling was a good idea when you've got analog sticks
    • I have to manually switch audio output to the headset before I launch Steam VR, or games launched from it will output to my speakers

I was going to buy Superhot VR on Steam since it's cheaper there, and even cheaper still for owners of Superhot, but I'm not sure now.

Onto what games I played today:
    The Lab
    Some cute tech demos, but nothing that really wowed me after that first Oculus demo. You change directions by 90 degrees with button presses, which felt kind of awkward compared to Robo Recall's tilt-the-stick-to-change-your-teleport-facing method.
    The magic shop demo looked neat and sold the immersion aspect of things with the scale changes. I found the slingshot hard to aim due to the core getting up in your face. The archery defense thing often lost tracking of the arrow pulling controller when it got near my face and started flailing about a bit. The best moment was on the mountain view with the little one-eyed robot worm-dog. I squatted down to touch or grab it, but apparently my cat had decided to lay down in that exact spot at my feet, so I ended up prodding her with the controller when I tried to touch the robo-critter.
    I didn't touch all the demos but I think I'll probably uninstall it anyway.

Nekopalive
    It's free and dumb and short, so I figured why not. It's just some anime girls doing a dance to a single song with you standing at a good distance from the stage in the middle of a crowd that is represented purely by synchronized waving glowsticks at knee height.
    Provided some background music while I faffed about in the steam overlay looking for:

To The Top
    I should really get a USB extension cord tomorrow to set up one of the sensors behind me for this (I'll probably need a third one anyway but that's for later). First impression is that it's a very obvious Vive-built game right now, with the aiming being an extension of the Touch controllers' grips rather than of their flat top surface like every other game I've encountered so far (also controller icons are those of the Vive). Controls are: you grab with the triggers. Blue surfaces within 2-3ish meters are grabbable. Grabbing a surface with one hand pulls you to it. Grabbing a surface with both hands pulls you to the middle of those two points, but letting go afterwards has you jump in the direction you're looking. I played the first level (badly), but did not find myself getting sick. I don't know, maybe that'd be different with extended play. The only thing that came close now was a bit of a "whoa" feeling when falling a long way.
    I can see myself getting really into this, but I'll have to play more to be sure.

Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742 ... LastLast