TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5101520252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Thing What Kicks
    So the post production world is slowly beginning to pay attention to VR, resulting in wonderfully stupid "Me too!" promotional imagery, such as:

Anyone else seen any gloriously dumb VR marketing material?
    Last edited by Malf; 28th Aug 2017 at 05:14.

Thing What Kicks
    Also, Jesh: If Oculus come up with an equivalent in response, your cat may have a new accessory.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Malf, that image isn't displaying.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I don't remember many jump scares in Edge of Nowhere
    It's littered with them! Like the jaguar that leaps at you in the opening scene, or that dream sequence that ends with lots of alien things skittering at you. I swear, those first person sequences exist mainly so the devs can shout "boo!" and hurl scary things at your face. At this point I'm just taking the headset off whenever one of those bits come up and watching it on the monitor instead. Aside from that, I'm enjoying the game. Fave bits so far are the stealth bits, and the part with the huge monster with the harpoon-tongue.

50% off Bridge Crew. Get in, lads!

Aye aye, captain.

Level 10,000 achieved
    All aboard the spaceboat! CHOO CHOO

Thing What Kicks
    Yeeeees!
    Bagsy Capn's chair!
    After all, I'm the only one with a proper pirate's voice :P

I would've figured that Mr Bombs goes for Tactical...

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Sooo.... you track your dog, you track your dog's favourite toy, and then you play fetch in VR?

Thing What Kicks
    I'd guess it's more to stop booting your dog by accident while you flail blindly around the living room.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Windlands is -75% on Steam until Monday! Just picked it up, will try to give it a play and post some impressions soon.

edit: just played 24 minutes of it. I'd describe it as a fun visit to barf city.
    Last edited by henke; 30th Aug 2017 at 11:50.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oculus Store has an End of Summer Sale today. I picked up sidescrolling platformer Witchblood, which is dirt-cheap and getting good reviews.

Also, get a loada this.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Windlands is -75% on Steam until Monday! Just picked it up, will try to give it a play and post some impressions soon.

edit: just played 24 minutes of it. I'd describe it as a fun visit to barf city.
    What settings did you play with? There are a few that might help; if I remember, one basically projects a sort of cage around you, so you've always got a fixed point of reference.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Snap-turning and no cage. The cage was too out-of-place and immersion-killing, so I turned it off.

It's a shame: I don't get queasy, but I don't paricularly enjoy the game, so my lack of nausea is wasted on me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah it doesn't seem to be a particularly deep game or anything, but the sensation of swinging around and leaping huge distances does feel cool.

Anyway, just finished Edge of Nowhere. You were right, it's pretty great! Very enjoyable Lovecraftian story and the gameplay is solid. The most awesome bit was when London fades away and you're stuck back in Antarctica, that was a really awesome transition.

Apparently that Tomb Raider 2 fan demo in Unreal 4 works in VR. Haven't tried it out yet, but I probably will next weekend. I've found 3rd person games to be surprisingly engaging in VR; VR doesn't just add something to first-person experiences.

Here's an early take on VR from 1995 which looks like a really bad product all around: lots of light contamination, the stunning 10 fps max it renders in, and only 2 games in its demo reel that support head tracking. Note also the hilarious-in-hindsight claim that VR would be a 6 billion dollar industry by 2000.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Here's an early take on VR from 1995 which looks like a really bad product all around: lots of light contamination, the stunning 10 fps max it renders in, and only 2 games in its demo reel that support head tracking. Note also the hilarious-in-hindsight claim that VR would be a 6 billion dollar industry by 2000.
    Heeeeey, LGS' Flight Unlimited! Yeah the framerate is pretty choppy, but that might just be in the part that's mirrored to the monitor.
    Last edited by henke; 7th Sep 2017 at 02:38.

Looks like Rockstar will bring our investigative skills to VR:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...spin-off-to-vr

Supposedly it's a Vive exclusive, but I'm curious to see how exclusive these things will really be.
    Last edited by Thirith; 7th Sep 2017 at 13:38.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, an excuse to link to the latest Game Maker's Toolkit video!

LA Noire was at least pretty good at the "searching for evidence" portion of crime investigation, and I think that part might translate very well to VR. Not expecting big things from the other systems though.

Thing What Kicks
    Thumper's on sale on the Rift store at the mo, £7.99 for some quality, rythm zone gameplay. I was going to go to bed when I noticed this, and it's now an hour and a half later :E

Played some more Lone Echo, and I can already say that this game'll make it difficult for me to return to Adr1ft to finish that one. Getting around just makes so much sense the way it's done in this game; from what I remember of my early forays into Adr1ft, that game didn't make a complete mess of things, but it felt considerably more gamey and I doubt it'll be come second nature the way moving around in Lone Echo does.

Having said that, there are definitely bits in the game that could've used some more work, and scenes that get annoying quickly if you fail repeatedly. Right now I'm in a place where I have to make my way past moving beams of energy, and if one of them touches me I restart at the spawn point. For one thing, it's a total video game cliché, for another it's just not as enjoyable as other parts of the game. Even if you have more situational awareness in VR and are better able to gage distances, it's still not really fun, and having to make your way down a long corridor of this isn't what I want to be doing in Lone Echo.

What I like, though, is the story and themes and the interaction with the main human character. They could've done a somewhat better job of having her look you in the eyes, but I still feel like I'm sharing a space with a person; she's written and performed very well and she moves around me in believable ways.

Thing What Kicks
    Heh, I too picked it up again today, and from the sounds of it, we were doing the same bit (the processing line, right?).
    I tells ya, the first time going outside, I got fierce vertigo when I looked down. But over time, I was able to move around relatively comfortably, although panic would hit in if I missed a grab and started sailing off into the black (even the the EVA suit could get me back with no problems).
    It's an incredible experiance, and a meaty game too. I think this is going to take me some time to complete. It's also probably the most immersive experience I've had in VR yet, with only my body and gravity breaking the illusion (it's weird feeling the weight of your body when your brain thinks it shouldn't be).

I don't think I'll be finding all those damn cube sats though. Too hard to spot amongst all the stuff and the infinite black.

Oh, and a nod of appreciation to the developers for setting the game in orbit around Saturn; the rings act as an excellent way to orient yourself and help remove some of the panic.

Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5101520252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast