TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1113

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Have any of you playing Beat Saber already tried adding user-made songs? Apparently it's possible, though I wonder how good they are as levels; I could imagine that there's a tendency towards difficulty rather than good block placement.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've been meaning to make a post/video about the custom songs. Installed the mod a few weeks back and I've played a bunch of them. Here are some of my faves:

Unfortunately the most recent Beat Saber upgrade broke the custom songs mod, and although there's a new mod version out, the installer keeps crashing for me.

Anyway, maybe you'll have better luck, the mod is here. Just download and run the exe and that should be it. Some of the tracks are Expert only, but I'd say the majority have Hard difficulty as well, which is my fave, and a lot of them have Easy/Normal. Quailty-wise it's up and down. Just because a song is good doesn't mean it'll make for a pleasant lightsaber-drumming-experience, y'know. Beat It, Gangnam Style, and Harder Better Faster Stronger are my personal top 3. And everything by the user "Rustic" is worth checking out too, that guy's tracks are pretty much as good as game's official tracks.

The Star Trek Bridge Commander DLC is out! €13,49 in the bundle. Fancy some more co-op, fellas?

Definitely - though ideally once it's cooled down a bit. Also, I'm a bit disappointed that they only seem to have procedurally created missions, though at least there appear to be more mission types.

Played a bit of IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad in VR this morning. I will have to tweak this one or wait for a better PC/graphics card, and I don't think I'll ever be better than mediocre, but I love the feeling of sitting in a WW2-era plane. It does suffer from the relatively low resolution, though, much more so than, say, Elite: Dangerous.

It's been a while since I played anything in VR due to the summer heat, but temperatures should come down fairly soon. There are some interesting VR freebies mentioned in this video:

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, while politically he may be something of a douchenozzle, I will always have time for Palmer Luckey's opinions on VR hardware.
    So his review of Magic Leap is both interesting and disappointing. I suppose they were never going to live up to their own hype, but Palmer's overview paints a pretty bleak picture.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that's a great write-up.

I never expected this thing to be all they were hyping it up to be, but as I was at least hoping it'd be a decent upgrade over the Hololens, alas...

The tracking is good compared to most other players in the AR/VR industry, but worse than most of the big guys, including Hololens. Expect jitter in ideal environments. If you want a comparison, think halfway between PSVR and Rift. The meshing system is good, but not nearly as fast as Hololens.
    It is slightly better than Hololens in some ways, slightly worse in others, and generally a small step past what was state of the art three years ago this is more Hololens 1.1 than Consumer AR 1.0.
    Eh, well, at least it's $700 cheaper. We might get one of these for some future project, or we might decide that learning to develop for a new OS isn't worth the effort for the very slight upgrade and stick with Hololens.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finally got around to playing Eleven: Table Tennis this morning. I initially just bought it because it was as cheap to get it bundled with wingsuiting-game Rush as it was to get Rush by itself. Rush turned out to not be that great, uncomfortable to play because you have to keep your arms outstretched the whole time. Eleven is fun tho! As far as sports go, I think table tennis is one of the ones that translates most smoothly to VR. It's a standing-up experience where you don't have to move around a lot, and in contrast to tennis and other racket-sports there's very little impact when you hit a ping pong ball, so the near-complete absence of impact in VR (just a slight rumble in the controller) doesn't feel as weird.

Immediately when you start the game you get an AI opponent to train against, and while the controls felt good it took me many tries before I managed to return a serve at all. (I've only played ping pong twice in my life before, ok?) After I felt more comfortable with the controls I started a match on Amateur difficulty, and lost by 0-11. Hmm, could definitely use some improvement. Second match: 0-11 Loss. Pretty sure the AI is cheating. Third match: 1-11 Loss. Alright now we're getting somewhere! Then I went on to loose 3 more matches 0-11. The AI is definitely cheating. Somehow.

I suck similarly badly. Perhaps we should play against each other some time!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Definitely!

I also picked up Budget Cuts the other day, tho I'm gonna finish Dishonored 2 before getting into it.

Here's some new Stormland gameplay from PAX:

Looks great! (despite infuriating mouse cursor on the screen for most of the vid)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Budget Cuts Review

Well, this is kind of a mess. But at least it's an interesting mess.

First off, the stealth gameplay is pretty crap. Early on the game arms you with knives and encourages you to throw them at baddies. If you've ever throw anything in VR you'll know it's difficult to do so with any kind of precision. Worse still, if you somehow do manage to hit an alerted robot before they blast a hole in your skull, you're likely to find that they don't go down unless you get a freakin' headshot. In other words it's next to impossible to kill enemies by throwing stuff at them. This, combined with the rough checkpointing which means you might have to replay a hefty chunk of the level when you inevitably fail means you'll likely give up on throwing things in a hurry.

The other option for taking down enemies is getting close enough to simply stab them in the head with a knife, but unfortunately a quirk of the game's teleportation system means that often any knives you have drawn when teleporting will go involutarily flying out of your hands when you teleport. So to pull off a sucessfull stab you'll have to teleport next to an enemy, open you inventory, equip a knife, and then stab him in the head before he puts a hole in YOUR head. It's wonky and unreliable. A much more viable tactic is to simply pop your head around the corner, let a robot spot you, duck back, then wait till they come running around the corner so you can put a knife in their head. Yeah, it's cheesing, but the prospect of having reload the game yet again meant I often resorted to it. There's also a lot of hunkering down to squeeze into vents, which gets old (and hard on your knees) fast.

So, besides the terrible steath, how's the game? Pretty good! It's very charming, the robots are very funny, and the narrative kept me hooked. There's also some nice puzzles sprinkled throughout, and they fit naturally into the leveldesign. The game's strongest part is probably the final level, which is terrifying and great. I'm a huge coward when it comes to horror in VR. To it's credit, this level doesn't resort to any jumpscares, it's entirely systems-driven. Despite that I wussed out TWICE before I finally worked up the nerves to go back and finish it on my third attempt, tho I did have to pause and look up a walkthrough to figure out how to beat that part. After that, the game ends very abruptly on a "To be continued...". The end credits are awesome tho. Total playtime: just under 5 hours.

So, yeah, kind of a mess. Not recommending it at full price, but maybe when it's half-off.

Notes on how to make a good VR stealth game:

Having played this and Unknightly I'm starting to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. I have no plans on making a VR stealth game, but if I did, here are 3 things I'd build it around:

- Ideal weapons: silenced pistol & stun prod. Knives and heavy-impact melee weapons don't work great in VR, but a Deus Ex-style stun prod would be ideal. The challenge after all should be getting close enough to use it without being seen, and not necessarily hitting the right body part with enough force. And guns of course work great in VR. If there's throwables, it should be things that don't require too precise aim, like flashbang grenades.
    - Locomotion: In a genre where moving from cover to cover undetect is a large part of the challenge, BC's teleport did feel like cheating at times. Locomotion should be non-teleport, but also non-nausea-inducing. Unknightly's arm-swinging movement works quite well, so I'd go with that. Climbing also works great, so if levels offer a lot of verticality, great!
    - No kneeling should be required. Sure, crouch-walking everywhere is a stealth-staple, but you don't wanna do that in VR. Build the levels so that there's full-length cover aplenty and not just waist-high barrels to hide behind.

Thing What Kicks
    Divided on whether this should go in the hype thread or here, I finally decided this would be the more appropriate place to post this:
    I had no idea that From Software were making a VR game!

Sure, it's not anywhere near along the same lines as a Souls game, but could be good all the same. I'm just worried that it might be PSVR exclusive from the sound of that article.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I heard of it a while back, but I have no idea what to make of it. I'm guessing that like other devs they're just dipping their toes in VR with a small experience-type-thing rather than a big budget title. Maybe it'll be good, who knows?

Thing What Kicks
    Vive Wireless Adapter review over on Ars Technica features this gem:

That transmitter sends video and audio signals to a stylish dual-antenna receiver that velcros easily to the back side of the Vive head strap.

Stylish my arse. I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever refer to any VR headset or accessory as being "stylish".
    But this? This takes the proverbial biscuit.
    It looks like a Hammerhead shark is humping the back of your head.

On the plus side mind you, yay, proper wireless VR is here!

$300. Quite a bit more than the Oculus Go - and you still need the Vive and a beefy machine. Still, should be a big bump in quality for untethered VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Speaking of big bumps for untethered VR, Oculus Quest (formerly Santa Cruz) just got announced!

https://www.oculus.com/quest/

"Coming in 2019. Starting at $399 USD"

I was expecting the processing power of this thing to be closer to Oculus Go than a gaming PC, but apparently Robo Recall will be one of the planned 50 launch titles, and that's a pretty graphically impressive game, so maybe it'll pack a punch anyway. And of course by now there's no shortage of great VR games that shouldn't require a beast to play(Superhot, Rec Room, Beat Saber), so this definitely has the potential to be a hit.

While I'm looking forward to high-quality wireless VR, I don't think I'll be getting this as, aside from being wireless, seems like it might be a step down from Rift+a powerful gaming PC. Plus it'll probably be more of a closed ecosystem than VR on the PC.

Oculus Connect 5 is happening right now, so I'm sure we'll see a lot of cool stuff over the coming days.

I'm hoping we'll hear something about Oculus Rift V2 - especially a rough time frame when they want to release it. (I don't need a release date, just a "We're planning to have it out by 20xx.") Chances are I'll update my PC for then.

I'm not sure I'd get the wireless add-on for the regular headset, as it's pretty pricey and I'm not sure I'd have the necessary PCI-e slot. Still, I am very curious how different it feels to play without being attached to the computer by a cable or two, as that's one of the slight but constant reminders of the world around you. I expect I'd bump into the walls even more than I already do (cf. last Saturday's Rec Room session with henke).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I don't have much faith in bolted-on accessories either. Will wait until it's part of the core product.

I'm also looking forward to news of a proper Rift v2, but I doubt they'll talk much about it during this Connect, for fear of undercutting sales of the Quest by announcing the next, even better, thing right away.

Thing What Kicks
    Whatever happens, even with the Vive Wireless Adapter being a bolt-on, Oculus are going to have to raise their game. But saying that, I'm still quite surprised there's been no Oculus answer to the Vive Tracker.
    Sure maybe a little gimmicky, but I was hoping to have Jesh fix something similar to his cat so we'd get an idea of its presence in VR

Rock Band VR uses a solution that allows you to temporarily attach one of the Touch controllers to your plastic guitar, which works well. I haven't played much of the game, but as a proof of concept it works.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm also looking forward to news of a proper Rift v2, but I doubt they'll talk much about it during this Connect, for fear of undercutting sales of the Quest by announcing the next, even better, thing right away.
    You may well be right, though I would've thought that like Oculus Go, the Quest targets a somewhat different audience: the people who want something they can take with them, who don't necessarily have a very fast computer.
    Last edited by Thirith; 27th Sep 2018 at 08:22.

Still Subjective
    Dis

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah maybe. Maybe dat. Most of us VR-heads have seen too many movie tie-in experiences that turn out to be lightweight and underwhelming affairs to get too excited about another one.

Sometimes they turn out good tho. Star Trek was fun, but light on content, and I'm feeling the same way about Creed: Rise to Glory, which I'm playing right now. The fighting is pretty good, there's a lot of clever gameplay ideas here and my shoulders are aching from the workout, but I already blasted through the career mode (in about an hour I think). Granted, that was on the easiest difficulty though, after my first few sessions with it I can feel myself getting better at blocking and dodging, and I look forward to seeing how I fare on the harder difficulties.

About those clever gameplay ideas, my favourite quirks are how you enter slo-mo when successfully dodging and big swing, as well as the "out of body" experience that happens when you get knocked down, and the playable pre-fight workout montages. The last is essentially a series of minigames in quick succession, with your stamina in the fight being determined by how many segments you manage to complete before the montage is over. A similar thing happens in the Ricky Conlan fight(which you might remember as the main event of the first movie) where all 10 rounds of the fight are presented as a playable montage as well.

Those folks at Survios know their stuff, and I suspect that this game, just like Sprint Vector, will get more fun as I get better at it. There's also an online PVP mode, tho I haven't dared try that yet.

Last edited by henke; 28th Sep 2018 at 03:33.

I finished the 'story' in Robo Recall yesterday, and while I enjoyed the game well enough, I'm not sure I'll go back to try and improve my performance in the various levels. The game's too samey for that. Obviously I could try to change things up to keep them interesting, but I've got a pretty big back catalogue of VR games, so I might just keep Robo Recall installed for now and then I'll deinstall it six months later when I realise I haven't thought about playing it even once.

I also played some GNOG, a game I'm finding absolutely delightful to look at and play with. It's also kinda infuriating in that the controls would have benefited massively from tweaks and polish: this kind of game, which is more of a toy than a classical game, needs to feel as tactile as possible, and right now the controls are way more fiddly than they should be. If you're into games like CHUCHEL, it's worth checking out GNOG once it's come down in price, but it is a game for a very specific audience and the implementation is less than ideal.

I've only just heard that Lone Echo 2 has been announced.

Also, I revisited Beat Saber last weekend and the downloaded songs don't work. Will have to look into this, because there seem to be some pretty cool tracks/fan levels. Most likely a recent update means that I have to reapply the mod fix.

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136373839404142434445 LastLast