TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 611162126313641424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1155

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm sorry to say, but I've barely bought or played any VR games this year. Only bought Derail Valley, plus a few in the summer sale. And the ones I've played have mostly been old faves Beat Saber and Elite Dangerous. But I did picked up Stormland when it came out on Thursday.

Here's some gameplay:

It's by Insomniac, they who did the PS4 Spider-Man game, plus VR titles Edge of Nowhere and Unspoken. It's an open-world FPS. There's a bit of stealth involved, but mostly just in how you can sneak up and stake out enemy camps before springing into action. The movement modes include climbing, gliding, and cloudsurfing, and are all good stuff. You can upgrade your abilities and guns as it goes. The story is so-so and the mission-design is mainly just "go here, kill baddies". It's a good thing the core gameplay systems are strong enough to carry it. Like all VR games with smooth locomotion, I do get a bit queasy playing it, so I'm limiting my sessions to 30-45min.

It's got co-op, so if anyone wants to team up, lemme know!

I’m totally up for that some time once I’m back from my hols.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Still playing Stormland in bits and pieces, but I also picked up Pistol Whip yesterday and I've already played through all the songs on Easy. It is so good.

Here's some of those lovely mixed reality videos.

Folks are getting ambitious with these!

The soundtrack is bangin' too, "The Grave" is my fave.

I played a couple of songs in Pistol Whip yesterday but it didn't immediately grab me. Perhaps my problem is that I expected it to be something of a mix of Beat Saber (for the rhythmy part) and Superhot (for the stylish shootery), but at least on easy it didn't feel like the shooting was particularly tied to the rhythm of the song, added to which it really bothered me that I only had to do the vaguest, least motivated attempt of aiming and I'd still hit the enemies.

Did it click for you pretty much immediately, henke?

I also got started on Stormland, though my first impression was also a bit meh. Most likely it's because I was very tired after a 36-hour return trip, but I felt that some of the things Stormland does (mainly giving you a body and the whole inverse kinematics thing) it does less well than Lone Echo, so my first impression was more janky than I'd hoped. I will return to it next weekend, though, hopefully after having had some more sleep.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I liked Pistol Whip right away. The shooting isn't timed automatically to the music or anything, you gotta time it yourself. Your beat score determines how in sync you are. Might help if you're into the style of music as well.

Let's try some Stormland co-op next weekend!

I'll have to see if I can get far enough in the game in time for some coop next weekend, but some time soon, definitely!

Yup, I should now be able to coop in Stormland. Looking forward to meeting up with you in VR, henke!

I've also finished the Professional level in Dirt Rally (a surprise second place!) and decided to call it a day for now. It's a great rally racer, but I've seen enough of those particular courses for now. I've got a bunch of single-player games and short experiences that I want to play, but before long I'll also want to return to Skyrim VR.

Boneworks is out and Thirith's got it.
    It looks impressive, but is it fun to play?

I’ll only be able to check it out on Friday or Saturday. Will report back once I have.

First impression of Boneworks after perhaps 45 minutes with it: it's both impressive and kinda disappointing. It feels like playing a Valve fan project by people who are very talented when it comes to ideas and tech, but who would have a lot to learn from Valve with respect to iteration and polish. The game is leaps and bounds ahead of most VR games in terms of physical interaction, but it doesn't always *feel* particularly good. Lone Echo did a better job of body presence in VR space because it didn't try to do everything, and Red Matter did a better job of making you feel that the object you grabbed was heavy and the lever you pulled offered some resistance. In Boneworks, whenever there's a conflict between your real body and the physics of the virtual world - e.g. you've grabbed something really heavy and cumbersome - the virtual wins, which means that you are made to feel the disconnect more strongly. (E.g. you grab a heavy object and where your in-game hands and the object are in VR lags behind where your hands are in real space.) The game tries to be as immersive as possible and then undermines that by being too realistic, which doesn't really work conceptually or in terms of the engine.

I also get the impression that the aesthetics and writing is clearly modelled on games like Half-Life and Portal but without being as accomplished as those games.

In short, if you're excited about much more extensive interaction with VR space than you usually get, Bodyworks is great, as long as you don't mind somewhat clunky implementation. If you'd rather be somewhat more limited but everything just *works*, then you may want to wait until it's been patched a couple of times - or possibly until Half-Life: Alyx is out. I fall somewhere in between: I like what I've seen so far, but more because of the potential that is obviously there, but in terms of pure enjoyment I would say it feels a bit too much like an ambitious tech experiment wrapped around a middling game.

But this might change, based on what the level design is like. I've only just got past the extensive (and pretty imaginative) tutorial.
    Last edited by Thirith; 14th Dec 2019 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I also get the impression that the aesthetics and writing is clearly modelled on games like Half-Life and Portal
    I've heard that Stress Level Zero approached Valve with Boneworks as a potential Half-Life game in VR however Valve told them to remove all the connections to the HL universe because they were making HL: Alyx. Boneworks was also supposedly the reason for many changes to HL: Alyx, specifically the addition of physics based interactions which HL: Alyx didn't have for some reason.

So it is very much a Valve fan project. Though it seems that Valve took a lot of things from Boneworks and incorporated them into HL: Alyx.

Just did an hour of Stormland coop with henke and it's great fun, though perhaps it's a bit too easy to progress through the story mode with a friend. It's always cool to be in the same virtual space with others, in particular if you know them, and the game also holds up, so this is very much recommended to our fellow VRnauts at TTLG. Shame there's no four-player mode!

I like what I've seen so far, but more because of the potential that is obviously there, but in terms of pure enjoyment I would say it feels a bit too much like an ambitious tech experiment wrapped around a middling game.
    That's what I was afraid of. I'll give it a skip since I've already bought HL Alyx anyway.

If you enjoy playing around with systems, it may be worth getting once it's come down in price, but I think that anyone going in expecting a VR Half-Life will be somewhat disappointed.

Still Subjective
    What VR rigs are you guys running? I'd love a go but they seem pretty pricey to me. All except the PS4 VR thing.

Techradar reckon Valves Index is the best, but at that price I'm never getting one. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-vr-headset

I've got an Oculus Rift S and I'm happy with it. A bunch of us have the original Oculus Rift (though it can be tricky to get it to work with some USB 3.0 setups - the Rift S is better in that respect, as it just needs one USB 3.0 connection). I believe there are Windows Mixed Reality headsets that are pretty good and cheaper as well, although from what I've heard they're a step down in terms of tracking and controllers.

With PSVR, you'd also need a camera and two Move controllers for the full experience. I'm not sure you'd end up with a much smaller price tag than with the options mentioned above.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If I was getting into VR at this point I'd definitely get an Oculus Quest, seeing as it both works as a standalone wireless device and you can turn it into a PC VR headset by connecting it to a PC with a USB cable.

Thirith, have you tried this yet? And was the experience on par with the regular Oculus Rift?

I've not tried it, as I (imprudently) got the Rift S and the Quest at the same time. I thought that I could play some of the multiplayer stuff with my wife, but other than the occasional game of Beat Saber she's not shown all that much interest in the Quest, which has been gathering dust lately.

However, I've heard good things about the Link option. I don't think it works with all GPUs yet (NVIDIA should work, but not all AMD GPUs), and ideally you'd have a long, good USB 3.0 cable (people recommend optic USB cables), but even at this stage is seems to be a viable option.

Still Subjective
    With PSVR, you'd also need a camera and two Move controllers for the full experience. I'm not sure you'd end up with a much smaller price tag than with the options mentioned above.
    I already have those. I got them with my PS3 to play some Move Games (Child of Eden mainly).

From everything I've heard, PSVR is definitely 'lesser' VR. At the same time, some of the coolest exclusives are PSVR exclusives, such as Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Resident Evil 7. I'm still hoping that the latter will eventually pop up on PC VR, though I'm not sure I'd actually make it through an entire horror game in Virtual Reality.

I've played some more Boneworks, and the more I'm getting used to its idiosyncrasies, the more I'm enjoying the systems. It is pretty good at letting you use the objects and physics to solve things, and it really does help if you imagine heavy objects to be heavy. It's something of a placebo thing, but hey, if it improves the experience...

However, and this is not a minor thing, it has absolutely dreadful checkpointing. I've now replayed much of one level for the third time, each time getting a bit further, but even after roughly an hour of playing the level I still haven't got to a point where it saves - which means that each time I've had to replay that monstrously big level. And that's simply not fun. I'll be waiting with playing more of this until they've patched in some sort of mid-level save point.

Thing What Kicks
    According to a post in the comments for Craig Pearson's pre-review over on RPS, mid-level saving or similar is planned for January.

That's what the developers have said on the Steam discussion page. Free save would be much more challenging to implement and would therefore take longer, if they're even thinking about it.

Calling the TTLG VR posse: apparently there's a bunch of coop escape room games on Steam called Tales of Escape, with two of the escape rooms (Illusion and Sleepy Hollow) being available as VR versions. Each of these is around GBP3. Would you guys be up for trying one or both of them? The reviews are middling, but at the price I think they might be good coop fun nonetheless.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...les_of_Escape/

Yeah, this looks surprisingly nice:

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 611162126313641424344454647 LastLast