TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338434445464748
Results 1,176 to 1,179 of 1179

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying it out. I'm ok with smooth locomotion if I'm sitting down, but beyond that I'll get queasy.
    I'll have to put in options for seated play. Right now it would be broken (in a very interesting way) if you tried.

The game is inspired by the classic Tomb Raider games with some other inspirations mixed in. It's mostly about traversing the levels with a bunch of different kinds of movement, mostly based on (hopefully) intuitive hand movements: running and jumping, climbing, swimming, and a bunch of other things that I won't spoil. The analog sticks are only needed for turning (for now) and moving sideways or backwards (until/unless I find intuitive ways to do those with hand movement). Hand grips are used to grab things but that isn't even always necessary. No other button presses are needed.

The player's reach is important, so the game actually scales entirely to the player's height (if you're seated, it thinks you're very short and scales you up).

For seated play (once I add that as a viable option), you would need to be able to move your arms freely, including at your sides.

I was very happy that Half-Life: Alyx had hands that are always solid in the world, as I find that much more interesting than ghost hands that pass through everything. That's what my game has too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I expect it'd need to be sideloaded, right? I'm afraid I haven't done that with my Quest yet.
    Yeah, that is correct. If you do decide to go in that direction eventually, I can definitely recommend Side Quest.

I'm sure I can find other testers on the internet (it's a big place), but I will post here again after I work out a few more kinks and you can try it if you want. It might be a few weeks still.

Thanks!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, does it use hand-swinging locomotion, like Unknightly? I'm fine with standing play if that's the case, I usually don't find that nauseating. Also, I really like the sound of this idea. I've been toying with the idea of a first-person Tomb Raider-alike that's mostly focused on traversal myself for years, so I'm excited to see what direction you're taking this in.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ooooh, does it use hand-swinging locomotion, like Unknightly? I'm fine with standing play if that's the case, I usually don't find that nauseating. Also, I really like the sound of this idea. I've been toying with the idea of a first-person Tomb Raider-alike that's mostly focused on traversal myself for years, so I'm excited to see what direction you're taking this in.
    I haven't tried Unknightly yet, but yes, I do use hand-swinging. Long before I ever put that in the game (years ago at this point), I started down the hand-motion path by doing a similar thing for swimming.

It probably helps that I have a lot of practice playing my own game (and I know what kind of hand motions it expects), but I still love how the movement feels every time I test it. I definitely need to get more people to try it. My girlfriend has tried a bit, but she does get queasy after a little while. She's still not used to any kind of artificial locomotion.

Almost done with Alien Isolation using the MotherVR mod, quite possibly the most intense VR experience I've yet to, well, experience. Getting pounced by the alien never gets old, nor does escaping into the menu the moment I know I'm toast - that hellish shriek, the sound of those feet on the metal floors... This is brilliant and horrible and the best and the worst ever. I can imagine that Resident Evil 7 is terrifying in VR, but this... this is Alien. It is familiar - I've seen the film so many times... - but it never loses its intensity due to familiarity.

Having said that, though, while I don't mind the occasional jank that comes with the (unfinished) mod, I very much do mind that the game is considerably longer than it needs to be, and it very much shows towards the end. There are about as many false endings in this as there are in Return of the King! Several times you are asked to do things under circumstances that practically scream, "You're almost there! Just this one thing, and you've made it!" But then there's this other one thing and yet another one thing... Each individually is very effective, but it's tiring how the game piles one climactic sequence on top of another. And this coupled with VR being more intense, it leaves me exhausted. I'm ready for the game to be over...

... but I'm also ready to finally play the story DLCs that put me on the Nostromo with Dallas and Ash and Parker and all those doomed people (and murderous androids). Added to which, they're all about 30-45 minutes, which sounds like a perfect way to end my Alien Isolation VR experience.

... I think I may have to play No Man's Sky (VR) next, something gentle that doesn't insist on giving me near-heart attacks.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338434445464748