TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3813182328333843444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1206

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying it out. I'm ok with smooth locomotion if I'm sitting down, but beyond that I'll get queasy.
    I'll have to put in options for seated play. Right now it would be broken (in a very interesting way) if you tried.

The game is inspired by the classic Tomb Raider games with some other inspirations mixed in. It's mostly about traversing the levels with a bunch of different kinds of movement, mostly based on (hopefully) intuitive hand movements: running and jumping, climbing, swimming, and a bunch of other things that I won't spoil. The analog sticks are only needed for turning (for now) and moving sideways or backwards (until/unless I find intuitive ways to do those with hand movement). Hand grips are used to grab things but that isn't even always necessary. No other button presses are needed.

The player's reach is important, so the game actually scales entirely to the player's height (if you're seated, it thinks you're very short and scales you up).

For seated play (once I add that as a viable option), you would need to be able to move your arms freely, including at your sides.

I was very happy that Half-Life: Alyx had hands that are always solid in the world, as I find that much more interesting than ghost hands that pass through everything. That's what my game has too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I expect it'd need to be sideloaded, right? I'm afraid I haven't done that with my Quest yet.
    Yeah, that is correct. If you do decide to go in that direction eventually, I can definitely recommend Side Quest.

I'm sure I can find other testers on the internet (it's a big place), but I will post here again after I work out a few more kinks and you can try it if you want. It might be a few weeks still.

Thanks!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, does it use hand-swinging locomotion, like Unknightly? I'm fine with standing play if that's the case, I usually don't find that nauseating. Also, I really like the sound of this idea. I've been toying with the idea of a first-person Tomb Raider-alike that's mostly focused on traversal myself for years, so I'm excited to see what direction you're taking this in.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ooooh, does it use hand-swinging locomotion, like Unknightly? I'm fine with standing play if that's the case, I usually don't find that nauseating. Also, I really like the sound of this idea. I've been toying with the idea of a first-person Tomb Raider-alike that's mostly focused on traversal myself for years, so I'm excited to see what direction you're taking this in.
    I haven't tried Unknightly yet, but yes, I do use hand-swinging. Long before I ever put that in the game (years ago at this point), I started down the hand-motion path by doing a similar thing for swimming.

It probably helps that I have a lot of practice playing my own game (and I know what kind of hand motions it expects), but I still love how the movement feels every time I test it. I definitely need to get more people to try it. My girlfriend has tried a bit, but she does get queasy after a little while. She's still not used to any kind of artificial locomotion.

Almost done with Alien Isolation using the MotherVR mod, quite possibly the most intense VR experience I've yet to, well, experience. Getting pounced by the alien never gets old, nor does escaping into the menu the moment I know I'm toast - that hellish shriek, the sound of those feet on the metal floors... This is brilliant and horrible and the best and the worst ever. I can imagine that Resident Evil 7 is terrifying in VR, but this... this is Alien. It is familiar - I've seen the film so many times... - but it never loses its intensity due to familiarity.

Having said that, though, while I don't mind the occasional jank that comes with the (unfinished) mod, I very much do mind that the game is considerably longer than it needs to be, and it very much shows towards the end. There are about as many false endings in this as there are in Return of the King! Several times you are asked to do things under circumstances that practically scream, "You're almost there! Just this one thing, and you've made it!" But then there's this other one thing and yet another one thing... Each individually is very effective, but it's tiring how the game piles one climactic sequence on top of another. And this coupled with VR being more intense, it leaves me exhausted. I'm ready for the game to be over...

... but I'm also ready to finally play the story DLCs that put me on the Nostromo with Dallas and Ash and Parker and all those doomed people (and murderous androids). Added to which, they're all about 30-45 minutes, which sounds like a perfect way to end my Alien Isolation VR experience.

... I think I may have to play No Man's Sky (VR) next, something gentle that doesn't insist on giving me near-heart attacks.

Cool - I've been hoping that this comes out on PC.

Now we just need Resident Evil 7 VR, right? Right?

What are people's thoughts on Star Wars Squadrons? If it wasn't for VR, I'd probably not be particularly interested; I'd love a modern TIE Fighter, but I'm sure this will be more arcadey and more multiplayer-focused.

The idea of sitting in the cockpit of an X-Wing or a TIE Fighter in VR, though? Count me in! Even if the game itself might be middling, the VR aspect definitely appeals a lot - though I do hope it won't be arcadey to quite the same extent as, say, the recentish Battlefront games, with power-ups and the like.

Really, though, I just want them to do a remake of X-Wing, TIE Fighter and possibly X-Wing Alliance that lets you play the entire game in VR. I mean, just because it'll never happen doesn't mean I shouldn't want it!

I also wouldn't really care if it wasn't in VR, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Graphics look great but I want to see how it actually plays--definitely looks like it's targeted at casual gamers instead of something that has some depth. However I'm glad they're supporting HOTAS controls instead of relying on floating virtual flight controls. I like motion controllers but IMO they simply don't give you enough feedback (at least not yet anyways) to substitute for flight sticks. I do appreciate games like VTOL VR and Vox Machinae nonetheness but not enough to tolerate them past the novelty stage. OTOH I do like using motion controllers to interact with cockpits. I'd just prefer it if such games would allow you to use the joysticks on the actual motion controllers for flight control when grabbing the in-cockpit virtual flight controls. The game should look really good on the Reverb G2.

Some other general thoughts on VR for discussion:
    * When it comes to what makes VR interesting as a new medium, its interaction affordances are at least as significant as the immersive visual/auditory aspects of VR. VR offers a more general interface to virtual worlds and as the hardware advances this interface will become more and more expressive. The visuals happen to be necessary for giving the user the correct perspective for making such interactions workable. There are of course gimmicky uses of VR inputs, but a well designed VR interaction model that is intuitive, that has "depth", that has significance to gameplay, and that gives the player a space master something can be extremely rewarding. Motion controller feedback is a huge bottleneck right now.

* I think the most significant hardware advances for VR will be variable focus, wireless, eyetracking, advanced haptic/force feedback, and improved ergonomic comfort (through weight reduction, reduced gasket pressure, etc etc). OTOH, a little more pixel density and FOV beyond what we have now (my current point of reference is the valve index) and pixel density/FOV won't concern me very much anymore. I'm getting really tired of not being able to focus correctly.

* Half-Life Alyx is an incredible game. Quite mechanically constrained but much of what it does do it does very well. Like the hand interactions, throwing, environmental interactions, and the physics--nothing else really compares. I really hope they're working on a Source 2 SDK because giving developers access to HLA's baseline of VR specific features could result in a really innovative modding scene, perhaps comparable to the goldsrc and Source 1 eras. But as it stands right now, indie devs really struggle to implement a baseline comparable to HLA because designing good VR interaction is extremely difficult and time consuming.

* I'm convinced that more devs should focus on seated options. While I think a standing option is necessary as a more natural baseline, I also simply can't imagine gamers standing up to play games every night and the leg strain with VR has always been a complaint among my friends. At the end of the day they are tired and want to relax. Thankfully seated setups work fine for VR provided you have the right setup: the most optimal seated setup I've found is a wireless headset with a swiveling stool that has a small seat, no arm rests, and a narrow backrest (or none at all). Wireless is really critical for this though as otherwise the cord wraps around the cylinder of the stool. Stance/height changes are best controlled through the dominant hand's joystick.

* I think that while VR offers a very promising future for gaming, it's still super early. Among my friends, only the more hardcore/enthusiast types still use their headsets (myself included) after 6 months or so. I find that right now there are so many discomforts, limitations, frictions, and clunkiness that a lot of users drop off after some time. However, despite this very few call it a gimmick or deny the cool things they've experienced--they just don't want to use it very much. As those issues are addressed, I think more and more people will stick around. E.g. I happen to think variable focus is one of those critical technologies and I doubt we'll see that before gen 3 headsets (that are probably like 7 or 8 years away).

* Thief would be incredible in VR, provided it has well developed interactions (HLA would actually provide a good baseline...). Might need to wait for microled displays for decent black levels however.
    Last edited by woah; 21st Jun 2020 at 00:15.

Interesting to read through the early parts of this thread now. I'm guessing most would agree that VR still hasn't caught on as much as was expected, although it is still a WIP.

That said, I decided to give it a whirl, and ordered a Playstation VR setup (Don't really want to shell out the cash required for a PC version, yet...). I noticed there is almost zero reference to PSVR in this thread. I realize it's an inferior version of VR, but does anyone here have any experience with it, or opinions/thoughts? Also, any reccos on what games to start out with would be great. The bundle I bought includes Blood & Truth and some VR golf game.

Although I've really wanted to try it out for a while now, it was recent sessions playing No Man's Sky that finally pushed me over the edge on getting one. Other games I'm eyeing up are Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Moss, Superhot, and Farpoint (which are all on sale right now).

Level 10,000 achieved
    BEAT SABER, BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Also I’m jealous of you getting to play Astro Bot. That’s one PSVR sclusie that looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Interesting to read through the early parts of this thread now. I'm guessing most would agree that VR still hasn't caught on as much as was expected, although it is still a WIP.

That said, I decided to give it a whirl, and ordered a Playstation VR setup (Don't really want to shell out the cash required for a PC version, yet...). I noticed there is almost zero reference to PSVR in this thread. I realize it's an inferior version of VR, but does anyone here have any experience with it, or opinions/thoughts? Also, any reccos on what games to start out with would be great. The bundle I bought includes Blood & Truth and some VR golf game.

Although I've really wanted to try it out for a while now, it was recent sessions playing No Man's Sky that finally pushed me over the edge on getting one. Other games I'm eyeing up are Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Moss, Superhot, and Farpoint (which are all on sale right now).
    I've only tried PSVR briefly but the thing that's really holding back that system is the tracking and controllers, to the extent that it's not very representative of "modern" VR. However it does have some nice games for gamepad controls (RE7, Wipeout, Astrobot). The headset is low resolution but you can kind of get used to that over a period--there are much bigger problems with all current VR visuals like the inability to focus correctly. PSVR2 will probably be announced next year with actually decent motion controllers and hopefully wireless (using 802.11ay). I would start with games that don't involve smooth locomotion (Beat Saber, Superhot, Audica, Batman: Arkham VR) and just get your eyes used to the fixed focus. Then try something like RE7 VR to get your "VR Legs"--only play up until you start to feet uncomfortable and then stop for several hours to a day, repeating this at least once a day. Consistency is key but *never* play until you're actually sick as that could ruin VR for you.

I can't comment on PSVR-specific games but I personally found No Man's Sky VR to be one of the worst examples of good VR games (with the exception of cockpit games, most flat -> VR ports are pretty terrible to be honest). The controls are clunky, the UIs and inventory management are uncomfortable without the ability to focus, and the interactions really don't take advantage of VR in any meaningful way. All you really get out of it is the "wow" factor / immersion factor of the "true" first person perspective VR gives you and TBH with current hardware limitations that has just as many problems as it has affordances. What makes VR interesting (to me at least) is how it's a much more general interface to a virtual world that is converging on something more akin to the way humans naturally interact with the real world.

I think you're quite right about VR "not catching on" to the extent that people expected, but I will say that anyone that was expecting a new medium to catch on within 4 years just had totally unrealistic expectations to begin with. Granted, there was a ton of hype being generated by FB and the like that gave consumers/devs this expectation--that mainstream adoption was just around the corner. The hardware *is* amazing, but it's still too uncomfortable, limited, clunky, and high friction for regular usage and wider audiences. The software is immature and not just in terms of the scale/scope that many consumers expect (that only large devs can bring) but also with respect to just knowing how to take advantage of the medium. New methods of interaction need to be designed from the ground up, which requires innovation and risk--something that is not the forte of large developers.

For all of these reasons I think it could take another decade to really take off. New mediums like this almost always start in the high end with an enthusiast audience and then gradually expand over time as all aspects of the experience are improved. People just forget or are unaware of all of the hard work behind it. Where VR is right now reminds me of the early days of PC gaming. Granted, I've seen a ton of improvement over the past 4 years. The hardware has improved quite a bit in terms of comfort, fidelity, and friction. Indie devs have figured out a ton of cool mechanics and ways to utilize the hardware. Development tools keep getting better. There are solutions in the works for basically ever major VR hardware problem except simulator sickness. Just going to take a while.

There's a VR mod out now for The Dark Mod! Haven't tried this out myself yet, and it seems to be quite basic so far, but it sounds intriguing - and I could imagine that the slower, more methodical pace of The Dark Mod suits VR relatively well:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/com..._stealth_game/

So this is very, very cool: X-Wing Alliance in VR.

I'm taking a break from VR while the temperatures are high, but I will want to check this out.

P.S.: Talking of (potentially) cool things: I do hope that they'll also bring Hitman VR to PC, because if it's done well it could be pretty damn nice.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/214009/o...nt-requirement . Basically from now on new users will need to login with a FB account to use their headset. Existing users have another 2 years or so to continue using their non-FB associated Oculus accounts. Sure, you can create a fake FB account but if it looks suspicious they will suspend your account and then you'll presumably lose access to your games. E.g. this has happened to several people I do tech work for: FB flags their account and locks it up until they validate their identity with e.g. a matching driver's license. They were just regular accounts with their real names.

I mean everyone had to see this coming. But I'll take it a step further: the research, subsidized hardware and content investments are all just a means to having complete control over a platform through which they can collect data on you. Long term what they're going to do is use eyetracking, BCI, the inside-out tracking cameras, etc etc + AI analysis to monitor all of your virtual and real world (through AR) interactions, associate that data with your real identity, and sell the data to the highest bidders, who will then utilize these insights to influence the masses to their liking. The "highest bidders" here consist of the most powerful entities on the planet so it's not difficult to see where this is headed. No need for authoritarian dictators for this to go south.
    Last edited by woah; 19th Aug 2020 at 13:04.

Seems like a bad move PR wise, as Facebook doesn't exactly have the best image these days. You'd almost think they'd want to keep FB and Oculus as two separate brands.

The recent self-contained Oculus headsets sounded quite good. I'm glad I didn't buy one.

I wonder what that functionality gap looks like if you refuse to get a Facebook account. I'd imagine you could still run Steam games, but that also does launch the Oculus app. Worst case the headset could just completely refuse to function, but that's apparently not the case.

Anyway, good job, never buying anything from the Oculus store again.

I wonder if this will eventually just be accepted or if it will actually impact their sales and market share. Not a ton of players in the field here though, especially in the un-tethered arena.

I'm also kind of wondering, given the popularity of the PSVR, if the advent of the more powerful PS5 and the inevitable PSVR2, if Sony might be in a good position to steal some portion of that business.

If PSVR was any indication, Sony is looking to provide an entry-level price to VR, cutting corners in quality. If that's their thrust for PSVR2 I think Valve, HTC and Microsoft offer better alternatives for people who owned or were considering Oculus/Facebook headsets. Unless of course Sony is banking on good exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'm also kind of wondering, given the popularity of the PSVR, if the advent of the more powerful PS5 and the inevitable PSVR2, if Sony might be in a good position to steal some portion of that business.
    Sony could actually completely overshadow their success. A ton of people are going to buy the PS5 regardless of their interest in VR. That means for the vast majority the cost of "getting into VR" with the PSVR2 is considered independent of the cost of the PS5. So if the PSVR2 costs less than or equal to the Quest, isn't gimped like the Quest is with its mobile hardware, and has Sony's AAA developer muscle behind it, for the average console gamer the choice is obvious. And, despite all of the hype, the assessments I've read estimate that Quest has still not surpassed the PSVR in terms of headsets sold when comparing corresponding points in the consoles' lifecycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    If PSVR was any indication, Sony is looking to provide an entry-level price to VR, cutting corners in quality. If that's their thrust for PSVR2 I think Valve, HTC and Microsoft offer better alternatives for people who owned or were considering Oculus/Facebook headsets. Unless of course Sony is banking on good exclusives.
    Well, back when the PSVR launched there weren't any viable inside out tracking solutions. Inside out tracking will reduce the cost of controllers and tracking substantially (and move Sony away from the crappy Move controllers--their patents suggestion they're taking inspiration from Index controllers). But tracking and controllers aside, otherwise the PSVR's display was actually quite good in some major respects when compared with gen 1 PCVR offerings. The pixel density is limited (quite understandably given the power of the PS4) but otherwise the display is 120hz and has an RGB subpixel layout (albeit hexagonal).

On the PC side, the best alternative to the Rift S appears to be the HP Reverb G2 at $600 (which, despite being largely designed by Valve, is actually better than the Index in several respects--e.g. has twice as many pixels and it's almost half the weight, on top of having the Index's audio solution and headstrap). Samsung is also rumored to be working on another PCVR headset and perhaps they may target the low end ($400 to $500 range).

I don't think wireless PCVR and PSVR2 is very far fetched either. 60GHz 802.11ay is expected to be ratified later this year and it will have enough bandwidth to transmit the signal without compression. Compression is the source of the noticeable latency in the current wireless VR solutions (well, many people don't notice the latency of the Vive's 802.11ad wireless but on the Quest--which uses regular home wifi routers--it's pretty noticeable)

Played a little bit of Skyrim VR last night, it's pretty damn cool. I know others opinions have varied, but since I'm not a huge graphics whore, the slightly blurrier visuals don't really bother me that much. It's pretty wild being able to go anywhere in VR in a large open world game like this. Kind of makes all other virtual reality experiences seem kind of simple and limited so far. Really hope we see more of this from bigger developers in the next generation.

I haven't touched the game in years, so I thought it might be fun to play through again, using some class I have no experience with. Might be interesting to completely disregard the main questline as well, and just focus on exploring.

I also finished Astro Bot Rescue Mission recently, which was an incredible game in it's own right. Very memorable and it feels really significant, like the next big step in platforming games. It was a bit simple and maybe too easy in spots, and also somewhat short, but I could easily play through again, the levels are just so creative and fun to navigate through. I would love to see a longer sequel for the PS5.

Have any of the local VRnauts played much, or any, No Man's Sky in VR? I originally tried playing it standing up, using the full 360, but it doesn't really work particularly well, so I got started again over the weekend and am now playing it sitting down and using the controller to turn around. While this works better, it is disappointing that they obviously put some thought into the VR controls, in particular with respect to your hands and the multitool, but it seems that at some point they lost interest and therefore the VR implementation comes across as half-assed.

Anyway, it's a nice enough game, but I'm not sure VR adds all that much. The worlds don't seem to feel distinct enough for that. I'll play it for a few more sessions, but unless things improve I think I might move on to something else.

Have any of the local VRnauts played much, or any, No Man's Sky in VR? I originally tried playing it standing up, using the full 360, but it doesn't really work particularly well, so I got started again over the weekend and am now playing it sitting down and using the controller to turn around. While this works better, it is disappointing that they obviously put some thought into the VR controls, in particular with respect to your hands and the multitool, but it seems that at some point they lost interest and therefore the VR implementation comes across as half-assed.

Anyway, it's a nice enough game, but I'm not sure VR adds all that much. The worlds don't seem to feel distinct enough for that. I'll play it for a few more sessions, but unless things improve I think I might move on to something else.
    That's basically my thoughts on it and I don't really understand why the game has been so hyped up for VR. The game was already a mile wide (well, billions of miles wide, I guess) and yet only an inch deep, but their motion controller inputs are about as basic as it gets. Though it's hard to blame them because the game fundamentally doesn't really have enough depth to really take advantage of VR. IMO where VR excels is in adding depth to a simulation and this kind of game is pretty much the opposite of that. Everything in the game is highly abstracted, making motion controllers rather redundant--I would rather just play with M&K (in VR or flat). If this were my first VR game I may have come away thinking VR was a gimmick.

Another thing that NMS reinforces for me is that past the honeymoon phase, VR's purely visual affordances *currently* have as many downsides as upsides. The lack of variable focus in particular becomes more and more noticeable over time and kind of ruins the 3D effect and comfort. Plus it makes interacting with UIs and reading text (of which there is a ton in NMS VR) particularly terrible. The exception would be some cockpit VR games, but otherwise what keeps me interested in current gen VR are games with good motion controller interactions.

Here are some recent games I've been having a ton of fun with (will flesh out details later, just want to list them for now):

Yupitergrad - Soviet themed spiderman / platformer-ish game

Eye Of The Temple - Roomscale Indiana Jones sort of experience

Warden of the Isles - Lighthearted Black & White sort of RTS

Airborne - Shooter with high speed flight, jetpacks mounted to hands, quite exhilarating. I recommend even people that have never been able to get their VR legs give it a shot

Into The Radius VR - This is basically STALKER in VR but closer to the original source material. Still need to put more time into it but the atmosphere is very good

Indie VR games have really reignited my passion for gaming. There is so much interesting stuff being created.

I'd actually disagree with you on the controllers: while the UI could definitely be improved, I like how it's placed on the back of your hands and how you interact with those. It could do with a lot of polish (see something like Lone Echo for an instance of this being done tremendously well), but they have put some thought into this. In comparison, Skyrim VR does a much more minimalist job of adapting its UI to VR, yet the sense of immersion is fantastic IMO. I feel like I'm traversing those woods or castles or dungeons. The game is similarly shallow as NMS, but just being there is more enjoyable to me.

I don't really have the problem you mention re: reading text in VR, at least not as a general thing. For me it was even okay in Elite Dangerous on the original Oculus Rift. What I sometimes wonder is whether my eyesight has an effect on how I perceive VR - I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, which I assume reduces my depth perception in real life, as my stronger eye pretty much seems to do double duty.

Talking about cockpit-based VR games, I'm curious how Flight Simulator will turn out to be in VR, and I'm very much looking forward to Star Wars: Squadrons.

I don't really have the problem you mention re: reading text in VR, at least not as a general thing. For me it was even okay in Elite Dangerous on the original Oculus Rift. What I sometimes wonder is whether my eyesight has an effect on how I perceive VR - I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, which I assume reduces my depth perception in real life, as my stronger eye pretty much seems to do double duty.
    That's interesting. Have a question then: when using VR on the desktop for extended periods, how does it make your eyes feel? For me I can last about 10 to 15 minutes before my eyes get really tired and text becomes harder and harder to focus on, to the extent that it starts to look blurry. And there's a good deal of discomfort that occurs before I get to that point. This happens even if pixel density of the HMD I'm using is sufficient to easily discern the text. Furthermore, when reading "virtual paper" in VR I feel like I have to hold it with my hands stretched out. Or, like those terminals in The Talos Principle VR, at some point I just didn't bother to read them anymore because they were just so uncomfortable for me--the sensation is almost like crossing my eyes. And if I go through a period of playing VR extensively, I start to lose the 3d effect as well because--I suspect--my brain just starts to pick up on how the depth cues are wrong. Near field objects are hard to focus on, and "medium field" and distant vistas are tolerable but something about them "looks wrong".

The only thing that I can imagine is causing this for me is the fixed focus because in "real life" I have very good vision. As long as I'm interacting with dynamic/moving objects in VR--taking in more of a "flow" of information--it's is largely OK for me, but when I need to read text or pay attention to static detail for an extended period, immersion and comfort start to suffer. After I take the headset off, things will look a little blurry for me until my eyes "remember" how to correctly focus again. When using VR it's almost like my eyes have to switch to an alternative "visual mode".

Variable focus is one of the major technologies I'm looking forward to because once we have it I think--I *hope*--that I'll finally be able to perceive depth correctly and these problems will go away. I think it will make VR much more immersive, more comfortable, and make many kinds of near field interactions more viable.

While we're on the topic, another thing that bugs me in current gen VR is geometric stability. Like with the Rift CV1 and Quest, every time I rotate my head it's like the whole scene is warping. On one hand I can play e.g. BallisticNG racing >1000kmh around tight turns and twisting tracks without an issue, but just basic VR usage with the Quest will literally ruin my day. The Odyssey was particularly bad for me here--it was like looking through a fish bowl. The best I've experienced so far in this category is the Index. Now I can generally play without noticing this too much but it's definitely still there. I suspect this is one of the reasons why the Index is so good for long term comfort because apparently research has shown that geometric instability can cause VR discomfort without the user even being able notice it--it may only be "subconsciously observed". As far as I know the only way this gets solved is with eyetracking and adjusting the distortion function based on where the eye is (something separate from varifocal)

I have to say that I experience nearly none of these - except in my few experiments with VorpX, where there’s often a warping effect at the edges when I turn. The environments in games designed for VR don’t look or feel equally three-dimensional in all games, and I can’t really say why that is, as it seems to have nothing to do with fidelity, but the ones that feel like they have proper depth maintain this even when I play for one to two hours.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3813182328333843444546474849 LastLast