Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10 Rooms Contest Entry - Lost in the Far Edges - 25 Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Where is the last secret?

Light hint please, no direct spoiler.
    For your last secret you need to be looking in the vents

So simple but ....

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    You will be the third who has same problem. Still no one knows why it happens. But I hope we find out the cause.
    Mr Tannar !
    Thank´s for your support . I try to climb the gate and when I reach the half-way up , I press jump and always fall back. I´m missing something ?

Regards from Brazil

Carlos Schmidt

The text in the readables is showing up in a pixelated bluish tint, instead of black which is hard to read. Is this happening to anyone else?
    Great mission besides that, and the author looks pretty obvious

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos schmidt View Post
    Thank´s for your support . I try to climb the gate and when I reach the half-way up , I press jump and always fall back. I´m missing something ?
    You are probably still too high. And be sure you hold the jump key down, don't just press it once quickly, you must hold it down.

5 for 5 secrets and still 880 short of 5000. I give up for now.

What is the deal with the werewolves? I used a gas mine to take out one out.

Where is the last secret? I've got
    1. panel in Cornelius' room
    2. loot in tree trunk
    3. room with loot statues below walkway
    4. boarded up room in middle building with tons of loot

Light hint please, no direct spoiler.
    The small switch in the vents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    Boy oh boy. Stuck again I'm in the vents. Got loot/gas mines, and opened the hatch to the outside. I can see two gargoyle statues way above, but vine arrows are not long enough for me to jump on. Vine arrowed everything I can see, but they've stuck to nothing else but statues. Am I missing something, or going about this the wrong way? Thanks

Oh, I haven't got crystal out of the "safe" yet though. Is the key for the lock in the vents or nearby? I can see a key on a table in the room next to where the haunts are.
    After you get out of the vents, you need to climb on the windowsill.
    You can find a safe key in Mr. Cornelius's office.

Thank you, once again, Soul Tear. I'd tried that window ledge jumping over and over, so figured I was on the wrong path! But will keep trying. Not to die

I have the green safe key (and the crystal and book in there). I meant the key to open the lock for the "safe" in the room next to Goliath (the lock by the lever). Thank you

I have the vine arrow problem, too, but only on one of the two machines I use. Let's compare things a bit.

The machine whose Thief 2 NewDark freezes when vine arrows hit a grating is an old Athlon XP (single core, 1,7 GHz) based computer with an old Radeon 9550 graphics card which has 256 MBytes of video RAM, and the motherboard has 1,5 GBytes of RAM installed. The OS is a Windows Vista (32 bit) with SP2 and all newer updates. Thief has been installed as v1.18 (newer Square Enix version), gen.osm updated to the "standard one", then TafferPatcher 2.12 was used to upgrade the installation to NewDark 1.21. DromEd was not installed. All the fancy upgrade graphics stuff from TafferPatcher was not installed.

The other machine, where vine arrows work in "Lost in the Far Edges" (v1 and v1.1), is a fairly new laptop with a Core i3-2350M CPU (2,3 GHz) and the Intel HD 3000 graphics integrated into the CPU. 4 GBytes of RAM are installed, the OS is Win7 x64 with SP1 and all that newer update stuff. Thief has been installed in a similar way as mentioned above (same Square Enix Thief version as well as TafferPatcher 2.12), but DromEd was installed as well. A multi-core fix had to be used here which was not needed on the old machine. However, the thief2.exe files of both installations turned out to be identical.

I have compared both Thief installations with a file compare program, and apart from the config files there was no difference. I have then changed the Vista machine's config files in order to match the ones from the Win7 machine where possible (e.g., "safe_texture_manager" etc., but of course not concerning the install paths), but nothing made the vine arrows work correctly. The saved game used on both machines was identical, by the way; it has been copied from one machine to the other.

So far, it seems that either the OS, the hardware (possibly also the multi-core fix just needed for one of these machines) or the missing DromEd installation is to blame. What are the others with this problem using?

By the way, there are still some truncated texts in v1.1. Maybe these could be fixed if there's another update?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    Shame, but I think I will need to give up on this interesting, challenging mission as the game freezes whenever I try to use a vine arrow. I can't progress to make the jump to the window below the gargoyle statues at the exit grate/door of the vents. Anybody had the same problem or suggest how to get the vine arows working?

I've downloaded both versions but maybe I'll try again with v1.1.
    I have an idea. This the bad guy: Mesh/Txt16/ROPEvine.png with absurd resolution 64x4096. Probably the video card does not have time to process information when a vine suddenly appear. Please check it out: delete/resize this texture and try again. Good luck!
    Last edited by Soul Tear; 3rd Mar 2014 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    I have the vine arrow problem, too, but only on one of the two machines I use. Let's compare things a bit.
    Please check my post #110.

I have an idea. This the bad guy: Mesh/Txt16/ROPEvine.png with absurd resolution 64x4096. Probably the video card does not have time to process information when a vine suddenly appear. Please check it out: delete/resize this texture and try again. Good luck!
    Thanks Soul Tear - that looks promising, I think you may have found it.

I deleted the file and started a new game and the vine arrows seem to work fine. I'll check a saved game later. Maybe my old Vista 32 bit machine's graphics couldn't cope - as you suggested. Worth others affected by the problem trying it out.

I'm in the forest with only 1670 loot. Does it mean that I can't finish the mission since I haven't got enough loot and can't go back for it? In here, I've only found some crystals and a gem below a fallen tree.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I'm in the forest with only 1670 loot. Does it mean that I can't finish the mission since I haven't got enough loot and can't go back for it? In here, I've only found some crystals and a gem below a fallen tree.

Loot in the forest:
    The giant hollow - 3 pieces.
    Under treebeast-like roots - 1 piece (near giant Treebeast)
    2 fallen trunks upstairs and near it - total 6 (including 1 secret).
    On the hat of mushroom - 1 piece.
    Tiny hollow near the den - 2 pieces (you need to climb to the treebeast-like roots).
    Left and right of the hole - 4 pieces.
    Hi Ticky, have you found the above?

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Hi Ticky, have you found the above?
    I didn't find the giant hollow for example.

I have an idea. This the bad guy: Mesh/Txt16/ROPEvine.png with absurd resolution 64x4096. [...] Please check it out: delete/resize this texture and try again.
    Confirmed. When I delete this PNG file, vine arrows work like they should even on my old Vista machine. Converting the PNG file to GIF without changing anything else does not solve the problem, on the other hand. Thus it's not just some problem with the PNG format.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Confirmed. When I delete this PNG file, vine arrows work like they should even on my old Vista machine. Converting the PNG file to GIF without changing anything else does not solve the problem, on the other hand. Thus it's not just some problem with the PNG format.
    If the resolution was created at 64x4096 .png, then try reducing to 64x512 and convert it to .tga It is the oversized texture that is the problem, and being .png robs alot of memory.

The small switch in the vents.
    Thanks! I had found that before but the updated version counted it as a secret.
    I have 3505 loot before heading for the forest. Is there more than that in the city?
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    If the resolution was created at 64x4096 .png, then try reducing to 64x512 and convert it to .tga It is the oversized texture that is the problem, and being .png robs alot of memory.
    I have reduced the resolution to 64x512, but saved it as a PNG file again. Works; the vine arrows deploy like they should.

Thanks! I had found that before but the updated version counted it as a secret.
    I have 3505 loot before heading for the forest. Is there more than that in the city?
    I just remember in the forest will be not less than 1500 of loot.

In the room with the crystal there is a lot of loot.

Direct spoiler:
    The coin on the floor near the vent-grate.
    The canopic jar on a stone shelf.
    The treebeast mask in on a wall.

Total in this room 12 pieces of loot.
    Last edited by Soul Tear; 4th Mar 2014 at 06:50.

Hmm...I found 4 jars on the floor in the shade. Don't think I found any on a shelf. The mask I know I didn't see. Will check after work.
    Thanks!
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Well, the name of the mission certainly captures my current state.

I have managed using the vine arrows (and the hints here) to make my way to: the blue window leading to a library with a Engineers Guild Logo Key, the boarded up window with a room with lots of loot inside, the room with a bunch of statues, and a window that you can't get through but see a guy walking about inside and can get two loot items and see a readable on a desk that you can't read, and the roof that you lower a ladder to reach but can't see anything interesting from the two edges of the roof thus reached.

I have not been to or found any: enterable vents, grates, elevators, a forest, nor have I gotten any keys other than this logo key.

What do I do next?

- prjames

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by prjames View Post
    ... and the roof that you lower a ladder to reach but can't see anything interesting from the two edges of the roof thus reached. What do I do next?
    On that roof there is a broken section of railing. Go out the first section and shoot a vine arrow into the end of the second section and go down it to the window below.

While it's clear some work went into this FM, it was not properly playtested. I'm at 100+ reloads bouncing off vine arrows to my doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Printer's Devil View Post
    While it's clear some work went into this FM, it was not properly playtested. I'm at 100+ reloads bouncing off vine arrows to my doom.
    That's not necessairily a sign of no proper playtest being done. I am not a great fan of rooftop missions, since several of them share this problem (forcing the player to exactly find the right spot to exactly do something "the right way"), and I personally think they're too hard. But that's just my opinion. Other people's opinions on that matter might be very different. In the end, it's a design choice made by the author.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast